General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in melted snow Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-05 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Running in melted snow
Hi,
Do you run in the dark when the sidewalks and streets are covered with melted snow, water etc?
Do you have any tips on running in these conditions? Do you wear special shoes?

2014-02-05 5:32 PM
in reply to: slonce5

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Running in melted snow
If it's possibly slick I wear an old pair of shoes that I've screwed 6-8 small screws into the bottom of. You'll have plenty of traction... I run on icy roads in them.
2014-02-05 5:33 PM

User image

Regular
As we have had three Level 3 (Illegal to be on the roads) snow emergencies here lately, and the white stuff won't go away, I've just been wearing my normal shoes when I run...on the treadmill.
2014-02-05 5:48 PM
in reply to: DannyII

User image

Feet get wet. Shoes go on the heating grate to dry out.
2014-02-05 6:02 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

If it's possibly slick I wear an old pair of shoes that I've screwed 6-8 small screws into the bottom of. You'll have plenty of traction... I run on icy roads in them.

Don't run on icy roads without traction of some sort. I learned the hard way with feet-flying-in-the-air/land-on-your-back fall in the early morning and a bad concussion. Be careful if it has melted the day before and the temperature has dropped below freezing.
2014-02-05 6:29 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

I bought a pair of running shoes that do not have mesh uppers so the water can't get in as easily. I also bought them a size too big so that I can put an extra pair of socks in them when it's cold.

2014-02-05 7:01 PM
in reply to: DannyII

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by DannyII

As we have had three Level 3 (Illegal to be on the roads) snow emergencies here lately, and the white stuff won't go away, I've just been wearing my normal shoes when I run...on the treadmill.

There are levels of snow emergencies?

Anyway, I wear Yak Trax when I have to run in slick icy conditions. They seem to slow me down a bit, but improve traction a ton. The downside is that they're slippery as all get out on dry concrete or asphalt...
2014-02-05 7:15 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Regular
I tired some of the Yaks Trax, but found them way, way too slippery on regular surfaces like you did. A better solution for me when I needed the traction was the ones with the little spikes built in to them by a brand called DueNorth http://www.surefoot.net/

I think I bought them at Wal-mart for about $10 couple of years ago. Grippy on the snow and ice, but fine to walk in on pavement, too. The spikes are even replaceable.

As for snow emergencies, here they are, in Ohio, at least:

Snow Emergency Classifications

LEVEL 1: Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Roads may also be icy. Motorists are urged to drive very cautiously.

LEVEL 2: Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Roads may also be very icy. Only those who feel it is necessary to drive should be out on the roads. Contact your employer to see if you should report to work. Motorists should use extreme caution.

LEVEL 3: All roadways are closed to non-emergency personnel. No one should be driving during these conditions unless it is absolutely necessary to travel or a personal emergency exists. All employees should contact their employer to see if they should report to work. Those traveling on the roads may subject themselves to arrest.
2014-02-05 9:02 PM

I have been using sealskinz to keep my feet dry and I can use my normal running shoes. I usually wear a pair of merino wool socks under the sealskinz to keep the feet warm also.
2014-02-06 6:59 AM
in reply to: mbartman

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm very cautious about it and probably wouldn't if I couldn't see clearly whether it was icy or not. I've twice fallen on ice and gotten serious back/hamstring injuries that have caused long-term problems, so I just don't want to take the chance anymore. In Oregon, black ice is really common on the roads and sidewalks in early AM since the ever-present winter rain freezes as temps drop. If I want to run outside, I'll either wait till it warms up to be certain the ice has melted, or if it's too cold for that, drive or walk very cautiously to somewhere where I can run on grass or trails, so I don't have to worry about it. I know--I could go to a gym and run on a treadmill, but the fields and trails are free!
2014-02-06 7:00 AM
in reply to: mbartman

User image

I tried the Yax Trax a couple years ago and didn't like them. After that, I ran in trail running shoes with wool socks, but my feet still got wet. This year, a couple shoe manufacturers have winter-specific running shoes on the market. They are waterproof and high traction, but still lightweight and flexible. My go-to running shoe is New Balance, but both models that I tried from them didn't fit. Instead I went with Merrell. Yesterday's run was really slushy and snowy. A few drops of slush made it over the ankle, but for the most part, my feet stayed warm and dry.

2014-02-06 7:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I live in Canada and run on a mixture of snow, ice and asphalt every day
We don't have snow emergency levels although we have something similar in the spring when things start to warm up.

I have 4 traction systems

Yak Trax,
average traction in snow, break too easily when you hit asphalt. Uncomfortable on asphalt. I only wear them on trail running with a good amount of packed snow.

Due North

Good on ice, reasonable on asphalt, not as great in deep snow
Spikes are repleacable which is great.

home made screw shoes

Good on ice, ok on ashpalt, no good in snow

icetrekkers
These are my latest and favorites to date. Actually not bad on asphalt, and amazing in snow and ice

Edited by marcag 2014-02-06 7:37 AM
2014-02-06 8:29 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Dread mill.

2014-02-06 11:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Melted snow: wool socks, regular shoes or trail shoes if I have a pair. I never wear Yaktrax in those situations because it gets mucked up.   We've had precious little melted snow this year, but this is my experience from many winters in a row.

Hard snow/ice:  wool socks, maybe the Yaktrax.  I'm lazy lately and just run.  Glare ice would require grips, but then I usually stay inside.

But, most importantly, wool socks.   I found, after landing up to my ankle in a slush puddle for the first time, that the cold shock goes away almost immediately with pure wool.

Happy running!

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2014-02-06 11:44 AM
2014-02-06 11:49 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Took care of this a number of years ago by moving to Florida. Worked like a charm.
2014-02-06 12:15 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

I wear goretex trail running shoes with gaiters when running in wet snowy conditions. I generally try to avoid pavement when there is ice as I certainly don't need any more injuries! I am fortunate enough to have a brand new 200 meter track in a new fieldhouse at the university where I work. I've been taking advantage of that and doing some interval work. Been logging a fair amount of miles on the treadmill too. Trail runs on the weekend the weather is decent enough. Running through deep snow is quite challenging!

2014-02-06 4:42 PM

User image

I've been using the Ice Trekkers diamond grips this year in snowy/icy Minnesota and have been mostly happy with them.  Good gripping in snow/ice and on dry pavement.  They do have a bit of weight to them though.  But they slip on/off easily without having to modify your shoe.

2014-02-07 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by marcag

I live in Canada and run on a mixture of snow, ice and asphalt every day
We don't have snow emergency levels although we have something similar in the spring when things start to warm up.

I have 4 traction systems

Yak Trax,
average traction in snow, break too easily when you hit asphalt. Uncomfortable on asphalt. I only wear them on trail running with a good amount of packed snow.

Due North

Good on ice, reasonable on asphalt, not as great in deep snow
Spikes are repleacable which is great.

home made screw shoes

Good on ice, ok on ashpalt, no good in snow

icetrekkers
These are my latest and favorites to date. Actually not bad on asphalt, and amazing in snow and ice

for the screws, I cannot tell in the picture, are you using the screw heads as traction?
2014-02-07 11:14 AM
in reply to: ajusf16

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ajusf16
for the screws, I cannot tell in the picture, are you using the screw heads as traction?

Here is the how-to

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm
2014-02-08 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
thank you
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in melted snow Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Long run melt down

Started by RichMan
Views: 1226 Posts: 16

2009-09-26 4:41 PM furiousferret

rock salt, ice melt and running shoes?

Started by mscotthall
Views: 924 Posts: 3

2006-01-17 11:42 AM mscotthall

What to wear when running in snow

Started by Denise2003
Views: 2616 Posts: 12

2005-12-03 11:55 PM Flyboy

It's finally snowing, time for a run!!

Started by JGFTri
Views: 889 Posts: 14

2005-01-23 9:06 AM JGFTri

Snow Shoe Running

Started by Antelope
Views: 655 Posts: 9

2004-11-19 5:46 PM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : February 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.

date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : February 13, 2007
author : trixie
comments : 1
Can't run outside in the snow? Think again. I flew up the first hill with surprising ease and power. The Yaktrax gripped into the ice like racing spikes on a rubber track. Sweeeeet.