Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Jim Thorpe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-11 9:40 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Jim Thorpe

We were watching the Olympics tonight and my kids and I got on a discussion about who the greatest athlete ever may be.  I was shocked that none of them knew who Jim Thorpe was.  I remember Thorpe being a part of my school history lessons in grade school (60's and very early 70's).  In fact, my kids all said that they have never been taught about ANY athletes in school.  Is that right?  Has Thorpe been stricken from our kid's history lessons?  I remember him being someone that a lot of us aspired to be like. 

Maybe I'm just older then I want to admit to myself.

2014-02-11 11:16 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: RE: Jim Thorpe

Originally posted by Left Brain

We were watching the Olympics tonight and my kids and I got on a discussion about who the greatest athlete ever may be.  I was shocked that none of them knew who Jim Thorpe was.  I remember Thorpe being a part of my school history lessons in grade school (60's and very early 70's).  In fact, my kids all said that they have never been taught about ANY athletes in school.  Is that right?  Has Thorpe been stricken from our kid's history lessons?  I remember him being someone that a lot of us aspired to be like. 

Haha!  You're definitely on the path to "GET OFF MY LAWN." 

2014-02-12 7:08 AM

Master
Memphis, TN
I think the only athlete we ever studied in school was Jesse Owens and that was only for Black History Month. Then again that was a long time ago I was in school.
2014-02-12 8:23 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I remember watching a movie about Jim Thorpe in like 5th grade?  That was about it

2014-02-12 10:38 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Don't worry about getting older.  Just by having paid attention to the world as we age gives us an encyclopedic knowledge that intimates the Google generation.

Remember learning about Jim Thorpe, yes.    I even remember learning that Johnny Weissmuller was an Olympic champion in swimming before becoming Tarzan.....     

2014-02-12 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Athletes were not covered much in school. But that could be regional or time period sensitive. However, as kids I can remember learning all kinds of athletic history and knowledge from the world around me, books, movies, etc.

So, what was the LB household decision on best athlete ever? Thorpe, Jim Brown, or someone else??? It is really hard to put different era's and/or sports against one another. Just to add to the conversation, did Chuck Conner make the list? He is one of  only 12 to have played both MLB and NBA.  Not that I think he was the greatest ever, but it is a cool designation.

2014-02-12 11:08 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pro

Originally posted by cdban66

Athletes were not covered much in school. But that could be regional or time period sensitive. However, as kids I can remember learning all kinds of athletic history and knowledge from the world around me, books, movies, etc.

So, what was the LB household decision on best athlete ever? Thorpe, Jim Brown, or someone else??? It is really hard to put different era's and/or sports against one another. Just to add to the conversation, did Chuck Conner make the list? He is one of  only 12 to have played both MLB and NBA.  Not that I think he was the greatest ever, but it is a cool designation.

One of the twins thought basketball players were the best athletes ever, and named Jordan as the greatest.  The other twin is a HUGE Prefontaine fan and may know more about his times than Pre's mother, buit she thinks IM triathlete winners like Macca and Crowie are the worlds best athletes.  My son?  Like it or hate it, his greatest motivation for the road he has chosen is/was/and likely always will be Lance Armstrong.

I think they're all full of it.

2014-02-12 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I think the only athlete we looked at, in passing, was Terry Fox.

When the olympics came to Calgary in 1988 I wasn't living far away. Can't remember a single thing mentioned.

I know some schools have athletes visit them for motivational purposes.
2014-02-12 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

One of the twins thought basketball players were the best athletes ever, and named Jordan as the greatest.  The other twin is a HUGE Prefontaine fan and may know more about his times than Pre's mother, buit she thinks IM triathlete winners like Macca and Crowie are the worlds best athletes.  My son?  Like it or hate it, his greatest motivation for the road he has chosen is/was/and likely always will be Lance Armstrong.

All fairly recent, Pre being the exception. That is the challenge with the discussion, our tendency is to concentrate on the now, or our own past, or our personal focus. Which is why I'd like to go with an ice hockey guy, but for all their abilities on the ice, I don't think that transfers to other arenas very well. Jordan proved out that baseball talents are not transferable and take a while to develop. I'd have to say Jim Brown or Jim Thorpe, or maybe Bo Jackson. I seem to be stuck on guys that played 2 of the 4 major pro sports in America. We all have a bias I guess.

2014-02-12 11:57 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pro

All fairly recent, Pre being the exception. That is the challenge with the discussion, our tendency is to concentrate on the now, or our own past, or our personal focus. Which is why I'd like to go with an ice hockey guy, but for all their abilities on the ice, I don't think that transfers to other arenas very well. Jordan proved out that baseball talents are not transferable and take a while to develop. I'd have to say Jim Brown or Jim Thorpe, or maybe Bo Jackson. I seem to be stuck on guys that played 2 of the 4 major pro sports in America. We all have a bias I guess.

You know, we watched a documentary about Bo Jackson recently and my kids were sufficently wowed....I wonder why none of us brought him up?  I agree....amazing athlete.

2014-02-12 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

You know, we watched a documentary about Bo Jackson recently and my kids were sufficently wowed....I wonder why none of us brought him up?  I agree....amazing athlete.

I'm from OKC so I've known about Thorpe for as long as I can remember.  That being said, I don't remember if I learned about him in school or just learned about him from family, friends and general osmosis.  

And while he played for the wrong team, (Oakland) I can honestly say I don't know if we will ever see another Bo Jackson.  He did things THEN that would be amazing NOW.  Truly a great, great athlete.  

All that being said, arguing who the best athlete ever across all sports ever played is never an easy discussion.  There are decathletes that could easily battle for that title.  Now, if we are talking most dominant in more than one sport, then yes, those mentioned are WAY up there.

2014-02-12 1:34 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
When I read articles about Bo Jackson or watch that 30 for 30 I'm pretty sure I don't blink. At all. He is absolutely fascinating and the fact that he did everything he did in such a short time span is even more amazing. If he had the chance to play a few more years in either sport I don't think there would be much discussion about who the greatest athlete of his generation (Say 1985-2000) was because it would be him hands down every single time. At least in terms of the 4 major sports. I think once you get into looking at athletes in general you have to take boxing into heavy considering because of the increased hand/eye coordination and general athleticism of those guys is pretty impressive as well. It's an awesome debate to have around a camp fire with a couple beers, that's for sure.
2014-02-12 2:00 PM

User image

Yep, just getting old

You have a decade or two on me but I remember hearing/learnng about him when I was younger.  Nothing in school but in social or sports conversations.

I also got a speeding ticket and had to go to Jim Thorpe, PA for court.  That was fun so I'll never forget him.  Plus the story about the town getting his name.

2014-02-12 7:49 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Ashton Eaton is the current best athlete...? I don't remember Jim Thorpe being taught in History class, but his story was available in alot of stuff in the library and other information documents. (60s country school and 70's HS education) What's sad about Jim Thorpe is his gold medals were rescinded because he played some semi pro football or baseball...?

2014-02-13 9:59 AM
in reply to: BellinghamSpence

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by BellinghamSpence Ashton Eaton is the current best athlete...? I don't remember Jim Thorpe being taught in History class, but his story was available in alot of stuff in the library and other information documents. (60s country school and 70's HS education) What's sad about Jim Thorpe is his gold medals were rescinded because he played some semi pro football or baseball...?

They were initially rescinded, but later the rescinding was rescinded.

2014-02-14 12:08 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I remember learning about Jim Thorpe in History in around 3rd grade.

I agree that Bo Jackson was probably the best Athlete of our generation. The 30 on 30 for Bo is amazing to watch. There is a scene where Bo takes two steps on the outfield wall to catch a ball, George Brett said that even though no one in the history of baseball ever did that it almost went unnoticed by the announcers because it was Bo. Bo still has the fastest 40 meter time ever recorded in the NFL.

2014-02-17 7:26 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I think we learned about Jim Thorpe around 6th grade, but I might be wrong.  I do know it was around that time that I read his biography.  He get's my vote for greatest ever.

Growing up in PA, though, it makes sense that we would have studied him because he went to the Carlisle Indian School which is only about 30 miles from where I live.  Plus, we have the town of Jim Thorpe.

As a bit of trivia, the Anthracite Triathlon is held in Jim Thorpe, PA.  It's a rather challenging race.  It's been said that even the swim is uphill.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Jim Thorpe Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Its so unfair Jim's Wikipedia contribution got yanked...

Started by Spokes
Views: 400 Posts: 1

2007-02-12 10:37 AM spokes

a quiz for jim and all the other dirty hippies

Started by autumn
Views: 532 Posts: 5

2007-02-06 3:58 PM crpadiem

Dear Jim (redux) Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 999 Posts: 33

2007-02-06 7:35 AM run4yrlif

Jim and Edna

Started by CBarnes
Views: 468 Posts: 2

2006-10-09 12:26 PM Lara

Damn it Jim ...

Started by Machiavelo
Views: 984 Posts: 7

2006-01-07 12:21 PM 3558
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 27, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
It's a lot easier to be really fit and fast than really healthy and happy.