General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Almond vs. soy milk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-14 12:34 PM

Subject: Almond vs. soy milk
Quick question about almond vs. soy milk. I'm allergic to dairy so I've been using soy based products for a while now, like soy milk, yogurt, ice cream, etc. But in the past few years, I've noticed alot more GI issues after eating/drinking soy products. In fact, I've switched back to dairy milk yogurt and my discomfort with dairy yogurt is definitely less than the GI issues I experience with soy yogurt.

On the advice of a friend, I picked up a 1/2 gallon of regular almond milk the other day. And so far, almond milk is going down nicely. I hadn't had a bowl of cereal in the past few years bec of my soy GI issues, but with almond milk, I'm ok with a bowl of cereal again. Coffee, same. Almond yogurt is good too. No stomach discomfort, no GI issues - so far, so good.

Has anybody else experienced the same sort of benefit from almond milk?

Also, is there any downside with almond milk? I understand that too much soy isn't good for you, but is there any similar downside to almond milk?

Just wondering.

Thanks

2014-02-14 1:07 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Subject: RE: Almond vs. soy milk
I'd be curious about this as well. I also have issues with dairy, though I don't consume too many soy products as I have also heard too much soy is bad for you. I do have almond milk once in a while, but generally don't have any dairy substitutes. It's been a big switch for me; I used to have greek yogurt every morning for breakfast. Ooo, though I have found some coconut milk ice creams that I love!

I have not read anything about almond milk being bad for you. If anyone has, please share!

2014-02-14 2:40 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
I have not seen anything about almond milk being bad for you. I have a problem with drinking milk it gives me some interesting GI issues. I can do yoghurt and other dairy pretty well but milk is a no no. I go thru a 1/2 gallon of vanilla almond milk a week and have been doing so for over a year now. I like it much better then any soy milk I have had.

The only thing to watch out for though is if you are limiting your sugar intake. The vanilla or chocolate is a bit higher in sugar then regular milks I believe. It's not outrageous but something to take note of.
2014-02-14 5:48 PM

User image

Expert
New York

I'm vegan and switch between soy and almond milks, just based on what I want to use it for and personal taste preferences (tea, cold and hot cereal, baking).

The only thing I ever worry about is sugar content -- I get unsweetened versions of both. Otherwise, almond milk is super good for you the way nuts are good -- heart healthy, naturally fortified with nutrients, low fat, low calorie...(and not that it matters except to vegans, no animal products!).

2014-02-18 9:30 PM

I have found that soy products do the same for me, and they also seem to make me break out. I stay away from them. Almond milk is awesome; no side effects for me at all- and really low in calories. I use it for everything and love it!
2014-02-19 1:13 PM
in reply to: jaime_runs

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Brian,

I still drink regular milk but when I make or buy smoothies after a workout, I use almond milk. I love it and really cant taste the difference. No GI issues for me. I will probably slowly try and phase it into my daily diet more but because of the price I have yet to do so

2014-02-21 10:17 PM

I prefer almond milk, and like the other poster, enjoy it a lot in my protein smoothies. There seems to be some controversy over soy milk, it having negative effects in the long term. Not sure of how true that is, but for now, I prefer almond milk. I think the taste is better than soy milk. Certain brands have a distinct taste. Except chocolate soy milk will forever be yum. Hard to say anything bad about chocolate soy milk.
2014-02-26 6:06 AM

Almond milk is full of vitamin E and small amounts of minerals, like magnesium and calcium. Soy is good source of protein. Most of the soy milk is unsaturated.
2014-02-27 4:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I have used almond milk for years with no GI issues. I also go for the unsweetened versions, for my breakfast and teas. also use coconut milk for my teas as well. Sometimes i will use rice milk, but for the most part i tend to stick with almond milk.

Edited by yarislab 2014-02-27 4:45 AM
2014-02-27 9:05 AM
in reply to: yarislab

Thanks all!

so far, so good with the almond milk. I'm using the original...can't get used to the taste of unsweetened yet.
2014-02-28 5:09 PM

New user
Key West
I switched to almond milk (unsweetened) from soy milk a few months ago. I am trying to avoid an unfermented soy. I actually lost a few pounds since stopping soy milk. I think I may have been retaining water due to the plant estrogens. Not sure. Soy milk does have much more protein than Almond milk, but Almond milk is a great plant source of calcium. You can always get your limited protein needs from other sources, even if you are vegan.

2014-03-06 12:30 PM
in reply to: topolina

I like almond milk as well. I find that making my own is a great way to eliminate all the extras that come in the carton...when all you really need are bulk raw almonds and water (and a Vitamix). Its nice knowing the ingredients, super easy to make, fresh, etc.
2014-03-10 7:44 AM
in reply to: ilikepizza

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

Another reason to avoid soy is that the majority of non-organic soy is now genetically modified to withstand massive doses of pesticides.  I'd prefer not to drink Round Up.

2014-03-13 1:33 PM
in reply to: emferg

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Made almond milk for the first time last night. That has to be the easiest thing ever! And it tastes so delicious. Remind me never to buy almond milk at the store again...
2014-03-14 6:31 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

something else to note about soy - if you have, or think you have thyroid issues - soy can cause problems because it interferes with the body processing the thyroid hormones - my endocrinologist told me no more soy; and then my surgeon threw me for a loop and said no dairy because of the potential for iodine issues (something about iodine being used as a sterilization for cows udders)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Almond vs. soy milk Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

soy milk vs milk

Started by evb4mvp
Views: 3093 Posts: 17

2011-07-11 2:50 PM COSkiGirl

Have a Love Affair with Bananas, Raw Almonds and Non Fat Milk

Started by AMR310
Views: 6586 Posts: 20

2008-09-16 6:54 PM nscrbug

soy milk vs. skim milk

Started by ultrahip_00
Views: 5517 Posts: 9

2008-07-11 2:55 PM wurkit_gurl

Cow Milk or Soy Milk? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jonmetz
Views: 4697 Posts: 72

2008-02-13 4:55 AM kuota3

Chocolate Milk vs Milk vs Soy Milk

Started by sbr7
Views: 1398 Posts: 8

2007-07-31 10:08 AM scfsara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Lose weight by eating chocolate for breakfast. Refuel after your workouts not with a sports drink, but instead with chocolate milk.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : May 24, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussion on chocolate milk for recovery after workouts and Ironman bike fueling.

date : December 22, 2008
Athletes are using all varieties of protein products, from bars, drinks and powder, and not seeing significant results, consequently recovery time and risk for injury increases.
date : October 29, 2008
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.