General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training volume / training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-18 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Training volume / training plan
I'm in the latter portion of a custom 70.3 plan. This weekend, my "long ride" is supposed to be 3hrs. Just looking ahead at how the week and weekend is shaping up, I don't see where I'm going to be able to get 3hrs. in. I'm anticipating only being able to get about 1.5hr in (due to time contraints, baby sitting schedules, etc). What do you do in situations like this? Do I try to do a little extra during the week and just focus on hitting the total weekly volume?

I know there is value of conditioning my a** to be able to sit on the seat for 3 hours, but what else am I losing out on if I try to make it up elsewhere?

(part of my issue this week is that my wife is out of town so I'm also doing no swimming as I can't get to the pool. So...I have extra time during the week to get more time in the saddle). However, doing my 3hr ride before work this week is not really realistic for me.

2014-02-18 1:16 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Training volume / training plan
I've run into this situation quite often while managing kids, vacations, etc. Usually I will shift around what I can during the week to try and make up for it, but if I can't, I'll usually adjust the type of ride I was shooting for. If I was planing on doing a 3 hour Aerobic Endurance ride, but could only fit it 1.5 hours, I would turn it up a notch or two by doing some long intervals at or around FTP... all the while making sure that I'm doing it in the same position on the bike that I plan to race with. One of the biggest gains I was able to make my first year was basically telling myself that ALL rides needed to be done in aero-position. By forcing myself to ride that way all the time, it's become my new normal, and I don't even think twice about getting down in the aerobars, even for the hard efforts.
2014-02-18 6:25 PM

User image

New user
penticton
perhaps ask you custom plan maker to make changes????

a few option:
- weekend, break it into 2 ride in the same day
-make some change in the set making it a very hard 90min ride if you cant get the 3h in...
yes, you could make the total volume of the week higher by increasing each rides a little but that is the kind of things you need to look into with your coach that make your plan

it s dangerous to give advice without seeing the full picture
2014-02-19 5:16 AM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
By custom plan, I was referring to one of the custom plans created using the plan creator on this site. I think I'm going to move forward and shoot for a higher intensity ride this weekend. 3hr may not be doable due to time, but the Sufferfest ISLAGITT may be...

One way that I keep myself motivated and on track is to be able to keep marketing lines off on the calendar
2014-02-19 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Could you do 1.5 hours on the road and come home and immediately do i.5 hours on a trainer??

That's one way you could do it...

2014-02-19 2:58 PM

User image

New user
ISLAGIATT is awesome! The first time I rode that was during this year's ToS and I loved it! I hope they keep making longer vids like that & Blender...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training volume / training plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training plan question - swimming volume

Started by bspence
Views: 1767 Posts: 11

2013-01-21 8:39 PM dfquigley

lower volume vs. higher volume training plans

Started by brucemorgan
Views: 1478 Posts: 11

2012-01-16 4:50 AM DirkP

Training Peaks/Eric Schwartz's Training Plans?

Started by LogansMom
Views: 1739 Posts: 2

2007-05-28 6:15 PM mikericci

Flexibility training plans for off-season training

Started by shadt31
Views: 995 Posts: 5

2005-11-18 12:08 PM shadt31

training logs - planned training options

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 1535 Posts: 5

2004-11-29 12:36 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Is there any point in time of a training plan where a "big week" would be most optimal? This article discusses sports rotation and other high volume week options to improve.

date : June 21, 2011
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races
date : June 6, 2011
author : JorgeM
comments : 1
Article explaining simple training concepts important for any endurance program

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : January 9, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 20 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.