General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountain Bike vs Race Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-06 4:07 PM

Subject: Mountain Bike vs Race Bike
Hi all-

I'm a newbie in the world of tris... just did my very first sprint tri yesterday and am doing an olympic in Sept.

I don't currently have a racing bike so I've been training on a mountain bike all summer and on the stationary bike at the gym for my bike training days. I did the sprint yesterday on my mountain bike and it was hard!! It was a hilly course, and I wasn't very pleased w/ my time.

When I do the oly in Sept. I will have a racing bike that a friend is going to lend me to do the event.

Everyone says it is sooo much easier to do the rides on a racing bike.. I guess I need some encouragement that this is really true. Is it? I was somewhat humbled by how much the bike killed me yesterday, yet my swim and my run went extremely well.

Should I continue to train on my mountain bike so that I build up my stamina this last month before the event, or should I switch over to the racing bike right away??

Thanks in advance, Lynn M.

2006-08-06 4:29 PM
in reply to: #503490

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Mountain Bike vs Race Bike
A road bike definitely makes a huge difference. Don't be too down on your bike time, just remember you road a mountain bike. I hope you enjoy the ride in September on a "racing" bike. If you plan on sticking with triathlons, try to find the money to purchase a road or tri bike because it makes a huge difference and you won't be discouraged by the mountain bike.
BTW, congrats on your first tri!
2006-08-06 4:59 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I rode a MTB for my first sprint and oly. I then switched to a tri bike for my 1/2. Don't get discouranged, many people use mtb for their first. Actually, I saw someone ride a cruiser beach bike on my sprint.

That said, I would switch over to the road bike right away. First, you don't even know it fits, second, it will handle a little different so you need to get used to that like tires are thinner and shifters may be in different place, and lastly, even if it does fit, you have to get used to the new positions that you will be in (hoods, drops).

And congrats on completing your first tri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2006-08-06 5:29 PM

User image

Regular
Kirkland, WA
I definitely agree with the other two.... the road bike will make a huge difference in your overall speed, especially if your next race is an Olympic! If you are already planning on it, start riding it as soon as possible and "become one" with your new ride! You will feel like a rocket after the MTB
2006-08-06 5:38 PM

User image

Regular
New Zealand
Definately yes, race bikes are much faster than MTB's and are much easier to ride fast. However, for that reason, I train 70% on my MTB, the other 30 on my road bike and race on a road bike.

But that's just because it makes me stronger....
2006-08-06 6:47 PM
in reply to: #503520

Thanks everybody for the tips and encouragement!

I am sooo glad to hear it will be easier on the racing bike.. that takes a load off as far as stress level.

I am going to see how the oly goes, if this looks like something I want to continue to do, you bet that I will be purchasing a racing bike.

Thanks again!

Lynn

2006-08-06 11:50 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Get the bike as early as you can. There will be differences in position that will make a BIG difference in how much power you can transfer to the pedals. You need to adapt to that new position.
2006-08-07 1:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN
It may seem small but mountain biking, or at least using one on the road, is pretty different than road biking.  Get on the road bike.  You will get several mph pretty easily.
2006-08-07 10:42 AM
in reply to: #503520

User image

Regular
Boulder, CO
Clare44 - 2006-08-06 4:38 PM

Definately yes, race bikes are much faster than MTB's and are much easier to ride fast.

Not necessarily. On some courses mountain bikes are much, much faster. The trick is to match the bike with the course.
2006-08-07 10:55 AM

Fortunately, the course we are riding is supposed to be pretty flat and paved.. Thank goodness!!

The sprint tri I did on Saturday was really hilly and curvy, am looking forward to this ride, even though its a lot longer, should be easier on the legs.

Thanks again, your input has made me feel alot more encouraged!!

Lynn
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountain Bike vs Race Bike Rss Feed