Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2014-02-28 4:16 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: 2014 Garden Thread
Oh no, I'm late to the garden thread Switch! My wife just had our 2nd son on Tuesday, so forgive me.

Just bought all of my seeds last weekend for everything we need. We are going to plant a bunch of seeds tomorrow indoors(everything we can think of). I've also almost finished our chicken coop, so that when the chicks are out, we'll be ready to go. I did see a few lettuce plants pop back up from last year in one of my beds. I also found an onion or two that I missed last year that are sprouting. Only 2 months until our frost date, but I'm thinking of building a cover for some of the beds so we can get started earlier.

2014-03-01 6:35 AM

New user
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by NXS
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

I don't have any fruit or veg going yet.  We are usually maple tapping the last week on Feb, but that requires days in the 40s or above and nights below freezing, and we're well below that for daytime highs :/

Sigh.

This isn't exactly "gardening," but we did have 11 Nubian goat kids born this week.  Here's a pic of our first set of twins, a few hours after birth:

How cute. I'll refrain from any 'they look just like you!' jokes.

So what went wrong last year? The tomatoes. Yield was terrible. Pretty sure the containers were too small, and there was too much nitrogen. All the herbs and peppers were fine. This year I think I'm going to try and build some sort of planter 8 foot by 2 foot, raised if possible. Maybe its better to build two 4'x2' and use railroad ties to get them off the ground. My yard is about 14' wide and 16' deep, and I have my car (Mini), table and chairs, and a BBQ packed in there, so space is really tight.

If you don't want to build raised beds, you can use 5 gal. buckets to grow tomatoes. Back in the dark ages when in college, I worked on research with container grown tomatoes. Yields can match those in the ground, but you have to water more frequently. The white color of the bucket also was beneficial in reducing soil temps on hotter days than containers of other colors. As with tomatoes planted in the ground, do not over fertilize or you will get beautiful plants with little fruit. You can also grow potatoes in old tires. Yes I am a red neck, but let me know if you are interested.

Thanks! They were in black metal pots last year. I bet that was bad. I was hoping to have something a little nicer to look at, since we're out there all the time, but if buckets work, I'm willing to try.

A red neck with a green thumb beats a white Northerner with brown plants

You could always place smaller pots of herbs or flowers around the buckets to disguise them. I agree though, black metal pots are a lot more attractive than white poly buckets. Good luck.
Couldn't Brian just use a more attractive, biggish, light colored pot? I've seen some really nice variations, cream glazed clay pots, pots that look like stone, but are lightweight, etc.? Just make sure it's big and not dark?
Yes, that would work well, but would negate the use of the most common landscape feature in my neck of the woods, not including the car on blocks or old sofa under a tree!

Pretty funny. My neighbors are pretty cool, but we are densely packed and the wrong part of Philly for cars on blocks.

I'm going to do some searching. I can't imagine someone doesn't make something nice that I can use and doesn't cost a fortune. If not, I'll build it. I may be urban, but I do have a goodly supply of power tools! Maybe something like this

That's cool, and would be a fun project. Have any dimensions in mind yet?

2014-03-01 7:00 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by melbo55

Switch - LOVE the baby goats!!  So adorable!  My two favorite tomato varieties are Sweet Baby Girls (cherry tomatoes, good for pooing in mouth anytime I get near the plant) and the other extreme with regard to size: Beefmaster or any nice, big, meaty, fill-out-a-sandwich-with-one-slice tomato.  Great, now you have me drooling.  I usually plant multiple varieties for different purposes: canning, salsa, sandwiches and instant gratification. :)

I have a similar love affair with tomatoes.  My craziest year included 22 varieties and 106 plants.  I have promised my family I won't ever do that again :)

Lately, I've been really into romas and cherry varieties.  I have cherry tomato plants in various spots on our land for the instant gratification part! 

2014-03-01 7:04 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by JoshR Oh no, I'm late to the garden thread Switch! My wife just had our 2nd son on Tuesday, so forgive me. Just bought all of my seeds last weekend for everything we need. We are going to plant a bunch of seeds tomorrow indoors(everything we can think of). I've also almost finished our chicken coop, so that when the chicks are out, we'll be ready to go. I did see a few lettuce plants pop back up from last year in one of my beds. I also found an onion or two that I missed last year that are sprouting. Only 2 months until our frost date, but I'm thinking of building a cover for some of the beds so we can get started earlier.

JOSH--CONGRATULATIONS!  You're forgiven

How is the family doing?  Your wife must be OK if she's ready to tackle a garden project! 

It's sounds like you're going to have an exciting year of growth all the way around. 

And chickens?  Is that new for you this year?  What kind of chickens?

2014-03-01 7:07 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS
Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

I don't have any fruit or veg going yet.  We are usually maple tapping the last week on Feb, but that requires days in the 40s or above and nights below freezing, and we're well below that for daytime highs :/

Sigh.

This isn't exactly "gardening," but we did have 11 Nubian goat kids born this week.  Here's a pic of our first set of twins, a few hours after birth:

So what went wrong last year? The tomatoes. Yield was terrible. Pretty sure the containers were too small, and there was too much nitrogen. All the herbs and peppers were fine. This year I think I'm going to try and build some sort of planter 8 foot by 2 foot, raised if possible. Maybe its better to build two 4'x2' and use railroad ties to get them off the ground. My yard is about 14' wide and 16' deep, and I have my car (Mini), table and chairs, and a BBQ packed in there, so space is really tight.

If you don't want to build raised beds, you can use 5 gal. buckets to grow tomatoes. Back in the dark ages when in college, I worked on research with container grown tomatoes. Yields can match those in the ground, but you have to water more frequently. The white color of the bucket also was beneficial in reducing soil temps on hotter days than containers of other colors. As with tomatoes planted in the ground, do not over fertilize or you will get beautiful plants with little fruit. You can also grow potatoes in old tires. Yes I am a red neck, but let me know if you are interested.

Thanks! They were in black metal pots last year. I bet that was bad. I was hoping to have something a little nicer to look at, since we're out there all the time, but if buckets work, I'm willing to try.

You could always place smaller pots of herbs or flowers around the buckets to disguise them. I agree though, black metal pots are a lot more attractive than white poly buckets. Good luck.
Couldn't Brian just use a more attractive, biggish, light colored pot? I've seen some really nice variations, cream glazed clay pots, pots that look like stone, but are lightweight, etc.? Just make sure it's big and not dark?
Yes, that would work well, but would negate the use of the most common landscape feature in my neck of the woods, not including the car on blocks or old sofa under a tree!

Pretty funny. My neighbors are pretty cool, but we are densely packed and the wrong part of Philly for cars on blocks.

I'm going to do some searching. I can't imagine someone doesn't make something nice that I can use and doesn't cost a fortune. If not, I'll build it. I may be urban, but I do have a goodly supply of power tools! Maybe something like this

NXS, I have a ridiculous 5-gallon bucket stack in my garage, and I choked on  my coffee when I read that post.  Hilarious

Brian, when I saw that pic, my mind went immediately to hog panel for the back part, which also sounds totally redneck, and it kinda is, but it can have a cool urban/industrial look too. If you end up building it please take a pic. 

2014-03-01 8:17 AM
in reply to: switch

Peppers, eggplants and a few tomatoes started. Sweet potatoes and potatoes started. We are going very practical this year. Nothing fun (gourds) or frivolous (sesame or sorghum). I also ordered another type of sweet potato so that will be fun. We rent land to grow and then at home have things like asparagus, strawberries, the onions and garlic beds, tender lettuces, herbs, blueberries, raspberries, etc.

One new thing is we are going to try to get a broody chicken to raise the chicks for us. We usually get a new batch of chickens every 2-3 years and raise them in the house. We're going to try to get a chicken to do that for us this year by letting her sit on eggs, and then slipping the day olds under her. We'll see what happens. I also think I have someone who wants to buy our old chickens! I think she'll pay $8 per bird if I process them for her. I'm a very slow processor and the stink is awful but I hate to eat my own birds. They are old and tough and I can often tell which bird I'm eating. But just throwing them away feels disrespectful and wasteful.

2014-03-01 10:29 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS
Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

Sigh.

NXS, I have a ridiculous 5-gallon bucket stack in my garage, and I choked on  my coffee when I read that post.  Hilarious

Brian, when I saw that pic, my mind went immediately to hog panel for the back part, which also sounds totally redneck, and it kinda is, but it can have a cool urban/industrial look too. If you end up building it please take a pic. 

I was almost afraid to google 'hog panel.' I'm glad I did, the pictures are hilarious.

I don't weld, but I could build something like that out of wood. I need to get my table saw back from my brother-in-law. There are a bunch of plans I found on the internet. Given space constraints, I imagine two tiers, raised, with storage underneath, and a trellis on the back. I need to sketch something out once I have some free time.

2014-03-01 7:25 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
I am planning on a combination of concrete block raised beds and horse troughs.

a lot like this http://www.nwedible.com/2012/10/the-most-attractive-veggie-garden-e...

2014-03-02 7:02 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

New user
Very nice, it amazes me just how creative people out there are.

2014-03-02 7:55 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by bootygirl I am planning on a combination of concrete block raised beds and horse troughs.

a lot like this http://www.nwedible.com/2012/10/the-most-attractive-veggie-garden-e...

That is very cool.  I was having a hard time imagining it until I looked at the link :)

Do you have access to used troughs, or will you have to buy them new? 

I didn't know that weed seeds travel <18" off the ground. I find that hard to believe, but the idea of weed free gardening has me willing to try. 

We do a large garden with kids as part of our non-profit, and we might try a couple of these, minus the concrete block.  Many of the kids are little, so I think the tanks would be the right height without the blocks.

Thank you for sharing that, Mary:)

---

Brian! You could do a stock tank with hog panel behind it (might take two panels, oriented vertically). No welding required :)

+   

NXS, is it less redneck if we move from 5 gallon buckets to stock tanks and hog panel? ;)

2014-03-02 8:03 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Actually, hog panel is really a great thing to have for the garden.  One of the things we like to do with it is bend it over so that both short ends are in the ground.  This creates a hoop structure that is about four feet high and 5-6 feet wide.  You can put a couple of them in a row, and then you can have a longer tunnel.  Cukes and beans will grow  up and trellis the panel, and you can plant cherry tomatoes on the outside or sunflowers or zinnias.  It makes a fun place for kids to get shade and play while you're working in the garden with little snacks readily available.  My kids are always really excited to put in the "hoopty".

2014-03-02 12:26 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
I have been watching craigslist for both concrete blocks and metal watering troughs, and have not found anything used. I am picturing something like this against the fence around the perimeter http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd441/bryan4242/bed-finished-64... ).

. And then some trough planters. And a fruit tree. A very small yard, so I want to embrace it and make a cozy courtyard.

2014-03-02 7:00 PM

New user
Originally posted by bootygirl

I have been watching craigslist for both concrete blocks and metal watering troughs, and have not found anything used. I am picturing something like this against the fence around the perimeter http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd441/bryan4242/bed-finished-64... ).

. And then some trough planters. And a fruit tree. A very small yard, so I want to embrace it and make a cozy courtyard.

In my state there is a weekly farm/market classified publication with just about everything listed for farm use, new and used. You may want to see if your state dept. of ag. publishes something similar.
2014-03-03 10:27 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

Originally posted by JoshR Oh no, I'm late to the garden thread Switch! My wife just had our 2nd son on Tuesday, so forgive me. Just bought all of my seeds last weekend for everything we need. We are going to plant a bunch of seeds tomorrow indoors(everything we can think of). I've also almost finished our chicken coop, so that when the chicks are out, we'll be ready to go. I did see a few lettuce plants pop back up from last year in one of my beds. I also found an onion or two that I missed last year that are sprouting. Only 2 months until our frost date, but I'm thinking of building a cover for some of the beds so we can get started earlier.

How is the family doing?  Your wife must be OK if she's ready to tackle a garden project! 

It's sounds like you're going to have an exciting year of growth all the way around. 

So we didn't get any seeds started this weekend. We had a roof leak spring up so I've been trying to fix that. The chickens are new for this year.
2014-03-03 11:12 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JoshR

So we didn't get any seeds started this weekend. We had a roof leak spring up so I've been trying to fix that. The chickens are new for this year.

I thought chickens grew in styrofoam and plastic containers?

More snow and cold today. It's getting redundant.

2014-03-03 2:26 PM

New user

I thought chickens grew in styrofoam and plastic containers?

Don't feel bad, I woke up this morning to the second snowfall of the winter and I'm a hell of a lot further south! I don't see how y'all stand it. The snow kinda flattened my lettuce but everything else seems OK.

2014-03-03 5:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts

Sigh.

AWWWWWW!! I raised nubians as a kid and showed them in 4-H. Taking care of them really developed my sense of responsibility to my animals! My mom and dad never learned how to milk, so if I wanted to spend the night at a friends house, I had to clear it with my sister that she would take care of my goats (feed and milk) I was 12 when I sold my herd so I could focus on showing horses. I just love those floppy ears!!
2014-03-03 5:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts

Originally posted by bootygirl I am planning on a combination of concrete block raised beds and horse troughs.

That is very cool.  I was having a hard time imagining it until I looked at the link

Do you have access to used troughs, or will you have to buy them new? 

I didn't know that weed seeds travel <18" off the ground. I find that hard to believe, but the idea of weed free gardening has me willing to try. 

We do a large garden with kids as part of our non-profit, and we might try a couple of these, minus the concrete block.  Many of the kids are little, so I think the tanks would be the right height without the blocks.

Thank you for sharing that, Mary

---

Brian! You could do a stock tank with hog panel behind it (might take two panels, oriented vertically). No welding required

+   

NXS, is it less redneck if we move from 5 gallon buckets to stock tanks and hog panel?

Ha!! My parents used to own a feed store and I can't tell you how many of those troughs we sold to pregnant people so they could birth at home in the water. We sold more for that than we did to actually water livestock some years.
2014-03-04 11:28 AM
in reply to: Quigley

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Quigley Peppers, eggplants and a few tomatoes started. Sweet potatoes and potatoes started. We are going very practical this year. Nothing fun (gourds) or frivolous (sesame or sorghum). I also ordered another type of sweet potato so that will be fun. We rent land to grow and then at home have things like asparagus, strawberries, the onions and garlic beds, tender lettuces, herbs, blueberries, raspberries, etc. One new thing is we are going to try to get a broody chicken to raise the chicks for us. We usually get a new batch of chickens every 2-3 years and raise them in the house. We're going to try to get a chicken to do that for us this year by letting her sit on eggs, and then slipping the day olds under her. We'll see what happens. I also think I have someone who wants to buy our old chickens! I think she'll pay $8 per bird if I process them for her. I'm a very slow processor and the stink is awful but I hate to eat my own birds. They are old and tough and I can often tell which bird I'm eating. But just throwing them away feels disrespectful and wasteful.

Sounds like you've got some great perennials at home!

I hate eating my own chickens too.  Turkey's, no problem.  Chickens are different.  They do make good stock though, and you can feed the meat to your dogs :)

I have never grown sweet potatoes successfully, but I would like to try again.  One year I planted 100 slips, and my free range chickens thought they were delicious. 

I don't have free range chickens any more ;)

2014-03-04 11:30 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

JOSH--CONGRATULATIONS!  You're forgiven :)

I thought chickens grew in styrofoam and plastic containers? :)

Agreed.  Yesterday the high was 40 degrees below normal for the year.  Today it's only 20 degrees below normal-- woo-hoo!

The cardinals still think it's spring though and keep singing their little cheerful, twitterpated song. 

2014-03-04 11:32 AM
in reply to: SGriepsma

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by SGriepsma

Sigh.

AWWWWWW!! I raised nubians as a kid and showed them in 4-H. Taking care of them really developed my sense of responsibility to my animals! My mom and dad never learned how to milk, so if I wanted to spend the night at a friends house, I had to clear it with my sister that she would take care of my goats (feed and milk) I was 12 when I sold my herd so I could focus on showing horses. I just love those floppy ears!!

I would love it if my kids did that!  We are officially up to 14 does, so we need to get a system!

My kids would choose horses over goats every time :)

2014-03-04 11:35 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by bootygirl I have been watching craigslist for both concrete blocks and metal watering troughs, and have not found anything used. I am picturing something like this against the fence around the perimeter http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd441/bryan4242/bed-finished-64... ).

I saw some cool corrugated planters online this weekend.  I don't know if they would work with your vision/aesthetic, but they might be less expensive than new troughs.

I do love me some corrugated metal ;)

2014-03-04 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL

Actually, hog panel is really a great thing to have for the garden.  One of the things we like to do with it is bend it over so that both short ends are in the ground.  This creates a hoop structure that is about four feet high and 5-6 feet wide.  You can put a couple of them in a row, and then you can have a longer tunnel.  Cukes and beans will grow  up and trellis the panel, and you can plant cherry tomatoes on the outside or sunflowers or zinnias.  It makes a fun place for kids to get shade and play while you're working in the garden with little snacks readily available.  My kids are always really excited to put in the "hoopty".

My dad does this, but since my family doesn't eat cucumbers or pickles, I really have no need. I tried pole beans for the first time last year and prefer that to the bush beans. Perhaps I'll just put a hog panel up, anchored by t posts as my trellis? I'll have to give that some thought.

I'm thinking about planting peas this year, but I may be the only one to eat them. I need to learn to can so I can save this stuff through the winter.
2014-03-04 3:29 PM
in reply to: crimefighter2

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by crimefighter2

My dad does this, but since my family doesn't eat cucumbers or pickles, I really have no need. I tried pole beans for the first time last year and prefer that to the bush beans. Perhaps I'll just put a hog panel up, anchored by t posts as my trellis? I'll have to give that some thought. I'm thinking about planting peas this year, but I may be the only one to eat them. I need to learn to can so I can save this stuff through the winter.

No cukes?!  No peas?!  What is going on with that family of yours??? ;)

Canning is so great.  I LOVE seeing my jars all lined up in the root cellar.  Sometimes they're so pretty I'm resistant to opening them.

I think there are a number of us here--NXS, Mary, Josh--who have canning experience.  If you decide to give it a go, you'll have back-up :)

Anybody else can?

2014-03-05 12:02 AM

User image

Elite
Reno

Originally posted by crimefighter2

My dad does this, but since my family doesn't eat cucumbers or pickles, I really have no need. I tried pole beans for the first time last year and prefer that to the bush beans. Perhaps I'll just put a hog panel up, anchored by t posts as my trellis? I'll have to give that some thought. I'm thinking about planting peas this year, but I may be the only one to eat them. I need to learn to can so I can save this stuff through the winter.

No cukes?!  No peas?!  What is going on with that family of yours???

Canning is so great.  I LOVE seeing my jars all lined up in the root cellar.  Sometimes they're so pretty I'm resistant to opening them.

I think there are a number of us here--NXS, Mary, Josh--who have canning experience.  If you decide to give it a go, you'll have back-up

Anybody else can?

Canning and freezing and drying, oh my! Lots of ways to make stuff last all year. Freezing beans and peas would be pretty easy. I have a condiment habit - chutneys, relishes, jam. Pickyourown.org is a good resource site. I also have a book on "small batch preserving".

Below are my new shelves in the basement dedicated to the canning.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (28KB - 4 downloads)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 2014 Garden Thread Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

2014 Official Golf Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by jonD81
Views: 3071 Posts: 45

2014-04-14 10:36 PM RushTogether