General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Only one day to swim... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-03 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Subject: Only one day to swim...
I live in a small town in Kansas. There is one pool in town that is maybe 15 yards long. I spend more time turning over than I do actually swimming.

There is an Olympic sized pool that is 30 minutes away that I can only get to once a week.

I want to train for an Olympic event in July.

Should I swim at the tiny pool at all? Or just go to the Olympic pool once a week and really do a long session?

2014-03-03 8:42 PM
in reply to: grnidone

Subject: RE: Only one day to swim...
Originally posted by grnidone

I live in a small town in Kansas. There is one pool in town that is maybe 15 yards long. I spend more time turning over than I do actually swimming.

There is an Olympic sized pool that is 30 minutes away that I can only get to once a week.

I want to train for an Olympic event in July.

Should I swim at the tiny pool at all? Or just go to the Olympic pool once a week and really do a long session?

Not sure how much use swimming in a 15 yard pool will do you, what about a pool trainer? It's basically a bit of rubber you tie to your legs or waist and it provides resistance allowing you to swim without moving, ideal for small pools. And when you do go to the Olympic pool, do a long session. Really you need to be swimming 3 times a week, but as long as you can swim 1500m straight without struggling you will be fine.
2014-03-04 7:04 AM

User image

Exton, PA
That really depends on where you are now. If your not a good swimmer you can make gains in the short pool, but still go to the other pool once a week.
If you are a good swimmer already, I would say just go to the big pool most of the time. You could still do some workouts in the 15 yard pool. I'm thinking kick sets with a little swimming in there to break things up.

I only swim once or twice a week anyway, but I have a swim background and can get away with putting in less time in the pool.
2014-03-04 7:28 AM

Spring/Woodlands Area
You can also use the short pool for lots of drills. I've done this when traveling (hotel pool maybe 10 y long). It wasn't ideal, but you can do good balance work and kick drills.
2014-03-04 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It depends on your swim background. If you're a weak swimmer, I'm guessing you could still get in some useful training in a 15 meter pool, esp. technique work, kicking, etc. If you're a strong swimmer already (sounds like you might be if by "turning over" you mean flip turns), then maybe it would be of limited use. I've occasionally been stuck with pretty small hotel pools when traveling--one solution is swim cords; failing that, you can do a lot of butterfly and IM work. Even a little fly gets the HR up pretty fast! Don't know what your comfort level is with that, though. I'll sometimes do workouts where I'll alternate so many minutes/laps of each stroke, plus kicking, pulling, and some technique work, if stuck with a small pool.

I'd make the most of the bigger pool when you do go and do your longer sets there, with the occasional longer, continuous swim to develop endurance and figure out pacing for your race distance. Do as much yardage as you can without your form breaking down.

At any rate, as long as you can swim the distance confidently, I wouldn't worry too much. If you look at some of the monthly totals threads, there are quite a few people, even pretty accomplished athletes, who put in astonishingly little time on the swim. It may not be ideal, but as long as you can finish comfortably, you should be okay.
2014-03-04 10:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Random thought- is there a lake somewhere that you can consider swimming in? If you could get a lake session in once a week or every other week, then a session in the longer pool and then maybe supplement that with the little pool, you would be nicely prepared. Might not be possible though.

ETA: Kansas is probably too cold to swim outside now though!! Maybe in a couple of months this might work.

Edited by louiskie 2014-03-04 10:37 AM

2014-03-04 12:24 PM

I'm totally understand! I live 45 miles from the closest indoor/heated pool, right now I'm training for IMTX in May and I'm swimming once a week. I plan to start swimming twice a week in April. My coach has me do a long swim and she incorporates some speed sets.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Only one day to swim... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

4 swim day or longer swim sessions?

Started by Blastman
Views: 1704 Posts: 20

2013-12-19 8:56 AM Marvarnett

Light swim day = Rest day

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 1772 Posts: 5

2010-12-31 10:01 PM disturbed275

workouts: One a day vs Two a day

Started by Mukluk
Views: 1760 Posts: 15

2008-02-13 5:38 AM jsnowash

Flash Auction - 3 day auction (One-day Ski Pass from Volvo)

Started by Writebrained
Views: 1581 Posts: 10

2008-01-19 11:35 AM Writebrained

Swim question - one arm drills vs regular swimming

Started by ssshaunaaa
Views: 1512 Posts: 6

2007-04-02 6:31 AM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : September 8, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on racing in the heat, electrolytes, weightloss and long distance training, the best way to improve your run, taper psychology, the best gel and the benefits of a swim stroke analysis.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
The one-arm drill. This drill will help you with body rotation, breathing, and pull. It also isolates one arm so you can really concentrate on what that arm is doing through the whole stroke cycle.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.