in reply to: jlshafer

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: TriDot coaching scam??

Originally posted by jlshafer
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by InnerAthlete

You can tell just from the syntax of Boo's response that it's a scam. Too bad.

To be fair, I have heard some good things about TriDot's coaching programs in the past.  But a business model that requires upfront payments for "free" services does prompt concerns, especially with all the stuff going on these days. 

Mark

I disagree. If a coach is going to spend their time, and Tridot wants feedback/results (for future marketing of their product) then they want folks to take the program seriously. If the trainee does not have any 'skin in the game' upfront, they are simply not going to get folks follow their program with the same level of effort / dedication. If I have money on the line, and need to complete X number of workouts, etc., I'm going to be a lot less likely to do it half rear-ended. Tridot is doing there part, but in order for the athlete to progress/improve, the athlete has to do theirs...and $$ is a great motivator.

I understand they want clients to be invested but coach could have written that in his email instead of his brief off putting email.

2014-03-05 6:11 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

New user

Concord, NC
Originally posted by JZig

Is anyone even sure that "Boo" is actually with the Tridot coaching system, and not just some Nigerian scammer spoofing them?

Yes, Coach Boo is legit
2014-03-05 6:23 PM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by gotbittenresponse: we literally have thousands of athletes who are very excited to participate and wouldn't be able to without this program, but we are now declining you as it sounds you are not as excited as the thousands that are overwhelmingly excited

Reminds me of the line from "A Few Good Men":

"I strenuously object?" Is that how it works? Hm? "Objection." "Overruled." "Oh, no, no, no. No, I STRENUOUSLY object." "Oh. Well, if you strenuously object then I should take some time to reconsider."

Mark

2014-03-05 6:56 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

It comes across as a scam because instead of stating that if you pay for 3 months training and complete the training, give us feed back and up load your workouts we will refund your payments it was promoted as free coaching. 

It may have been a good idea, but it certainly wasn't marketed properly.  The Nigerian investment is a pretty good comparison.

2014-03-05 6:57 PM
in reply to: jlshafer

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by jlshafer
Originally posted by JZig Is anyone even sure that "Boo" is actually with the Tridot coaching system, and not just some Nigerian scammer spoofing them?
Yes, Coach Boo is legit

You wouldn't be Boo would you? 

2014-03-05 6:59 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Pro

Bo knows Boo?

2014-03-05 7:15 PM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Could be a scam, but as long as they are accepting CC payment, then you shouldn't be liable if it's a scam.  Now if they are asking for a check, cash, bank account info, SSN, etc...then yeah...no way.

2014-03-05 7:29 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro
Burbs

If TriDot isn't a scam, they have crappy marketing. If a reader/ website of triathletes have a 2+ page discussion about whether it is or is not legitimate... probably best to re think things.

2014-03-05 8:30 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Left Brain

Bo knows Boo?

"Nigerian coaching scam"

(lol.gif)

Attachments
----------------
lol.gif (130KB - 6 downloads)
2014-03-05 8:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by gotbitten

I was spammed with a bunch of emails about the TriDot coaching system - free coaching if you are selected to be part of the Free For Feedback program. I sent them my info, and surprise, I was selected! of course, only a few people were selected and they "may never do it again."

I receive an email from "Coach Boo", the TriDot founder, telling me that this great free deal just requires me to sign up, pay the $7 signup fee, the $100 initiation fee, and pay for two months at $77 per month. grand total, $261. After I complete the workouts and give them feedback, then they refund the $261.

if you have questions, please do email Coach Boo. so I email good old Boo, one sentence, in its entirety, "so let me get this straight, I pay $261 and then I will get it free?"

response:

we literally have thousands of athletes who are very excited to participate and wouldn't be able to without this program, but we are now declining you as it sounds you are not as excited as the thousands that are overwhelmingly excited.

my thought:

if you really are doing this just to get feedback, why do you need to charge $261? I was one of only a very select number, yet the thousands you have selected are "very" excited?

My Question:

Has anyone ever given these people money, and when it came time for the refund, what was the excuse for not giving the refund?

It's unfortunate that your exchange with Jeff ... or more likely someone who was working with him fielding emails ... led to this 2 page thread accusing tridot of being a scam. You don't have to like their marketing, and in fact you can hate it. But what you are making is a false statement that is potentially damaging to their reputation.

At worst you were the recipient of a) emails you didn't want and b) a poor customer service reply. Now you are accusing them of not giving refunds. I think that is very distasteful. Anyway, here is my original post from a year ago to a similar thread:

=====
i first became acquainted with Jeff last spring through one if my swimmers. the athlete had been receiving coaching with tridot and asked me to do his swimming program. during the 6 months we worked together i saw many of his workouts from tridot via training peaks as i was the primary coach on training peaks. he entered his workouts there to log training.

i saw all of his race results. many podium positions for his age group. this athletes times continued to improve all season, the plan addressed his biggest weaknesses, there was nothing i saw that raised any red flags at all. he had regular communication with his coach and trained with her routinely...and coaches her in swimming!

based on what i saw in his training peaks workouts and his race results i think its a great program. Ive spoken with Jeff on the phone several times since then and i think his understanding if physiology and training is excellent. lots of great testimonials on his site
=====

Finally, one of the athletes I am currently coaching, used TriDot last year to train for his half iron A race, and PR'd the race and he had no complaints. Two of my friends (the athlete I posted about in the paragraph above) and another friend since then, are both coaching for TriDot.

FWIW, I have no financial incentive for endorsing Jeff or referring anyone to his program. It is not a scam, and yes they will give you a refund.

Edited by AdventureBear 2014-03-05 8:37 PM
2014-03-05 8:38 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Pro

Originally posted by AdventureBear
Originally posted by gotbitten I was spammed with a bunch of emails about the TriDot coaching system - free coaching if you are selected to be part of the Free For Feedback program. I sent them my info, and surprise, I was selected! of course, only a few people were selected and they "may never do it again." I receive an email from "Coach Boo", the TriDot founder, telling me that this great free deal just requires me to sign up, pay the $7 signup fee, the $100 initiation fee, and pay for two months at $77 per month. grand total, $261. After I complete the workouts and give them feedback, then they refund the $261. if you have questions, please do email Coach Boo. so I email good old Boo, one sentence, in its entirety, "so let me get this straight, I pay $261 and then I will get it free?" response: we literally have thousands of athletes who are very excited to participate and wouldn't be able to without this program, but we are now declining you as it sounds you are not as excited as the thousands that are overwhelmingly excited. my thought: if you really are doing this just to get feedback, why do you need to charge $261? I was one of only a very select number, yet the thousands you have selected are "very" excited? My Question: Has anyone ever given these people money, and when it came time for the refund, what was the excuse for not giving the refund?
It's unfortunate that your exchange with Jeff ... or more likely someone who was working with him fielding emails ... led to this 2 page thread accusing tridot of being a scam. You don't have to like their marketing, and in fact you can hate it. But what you are making is a false statement that is potentially damaging to their reputation. At worst you were the recipient of a) emails you didn't want and b) a poor customer service reply. Now you are accusing them of not giving refunds. I think that is very distasteful. Anyway, here is my original post from a year ago to a similar thread: ===== i first became acquainted with Jeff last spring through one if my swimmers. the athlete had been receiving coaching with tridot and asked me to do his swimming program. during the 6 months we worked together i saw many of his workouts from tridot via training peaks as i was the primary coach on training peaks. he entered his workouts there to log training. i saw all of his race results. many podium positions for his age group. this athletes times continued to improve all season, the plan addressed his biggest weaknesses, there was nothing i saw that raised any red flags at all. he had regular communication with his coach and trained with her routinely...and coaches her in swimming! based on what i saw in his training peaks workouts and his race results i think its a great program. Ive spoken with Jeff on the phone several times since then and i think his understanding if physiology and training is excellent. lots of great testimonials on his site ===== Finally, one of the athletes I am currently coaching, used TriDot last year to train for his half iron A race, and PR'd the race and he had no complaints. Two of my friends (the athlete I posted about in the paragraph above) and another friend since then, are both coaching for TriDot. FWIW, I have no financial incentive for endorsing Jeff or referring anyone to his program. It is not a scam, and yes they will give you a refund.

Woah............where is the false statement?

2014-03-05 8:45 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

when it came time for the refund, what was the excuse for not giving the refund?

You can tell just from the syntax of Boo's response that it's a scam. Too bad.

Edited by AdventureBear 2014-03-05 8:48 PM
2014-03-05 8:49 PM

User image

Pro

when it came time for the refund, what was the excuse for not giving the refund?

Surely could have been worded better....but it's a question, not a false statement.   In light of the response he got from his e-mail, I'd say it's certainly a fair question.  And I'd also agree that a reasonable person could assume "scam" based on that response.

Not guilty.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-05 8:51 PM
2014-03-05 8:51 PM

User image

Originally posted by gotbitten I was spammed with a bunch of emails about the TriDot coaching system - free coaching if you are selected to be part of the Free For Feedback program. I sent them my info, and surprise, I was selected! of course, only a few people were selected and they "may never do it again." I receive an email from "Coach Boo", the TriDot founder, telling me that this great free deal just requires me to sign up, pay the $7 signup fee, the $100 initiation fee, and pay for two months at $77 per month. grand total, $261. After I complete the workouts and give them feedback, then they refund the $261. if you have questions, please do email Coach Boo. so I email good old Boo, one sentence, in its entirety, "so let me get this straight, I pay $261 and then I will get it free?" response: we literally have thousands of athletes who are very excited to participate and wouldn't be able to without this program, but we are now declining you as it sounds you are not as excited as the thousands that are overwhelmingly excited. my thought: if you really are doing this just to get feedback, why do you need to charge $261? I was one of only a very select number, yet the thousands you have selected are "very" excited? My Question: Has anyone ever given these people money, and when it came time for the refund, what was the excuse for not giving the refund?
It's unfortunate that your exchange with Jeff ... or more likely someone who was working with him fielding emails ... led to this 2 page thread accusing tridot of being a scam. You don't have to like their marketing, and in fact you can hate it. But what you are making is a false statement that is potentially damaging to their reputation. At worst you were the recipient of a) emails you didn't want and b) a poor customer service reply. Now you are accusing them of not giving refunds. I think that is very distasteful. Anyway, here is my original post from a year ago to a similar thread: ===== i first became acquainted with Jeff last spring through one if my swimmers. the athlete had been receiving coaching with tridot and asked me to do his swimming program. during the 6 months we worked together i saw many of his workouts from tridot via training peaks as i was the primary coach on training peaks. he entered his workouts there to log training. i saw all of his race results. many podium positions for his age group. this athletes times continued to improve all season, the plan addressed his biggest weaknesses, there was nothing i saw that raised any red flags at all. he had regular communication with his coach and trained with her routinely...and coaches her in swimming! based on what i saw in his training peaks workouts and his race results i think its a great program. Ive spoken with Jeff on the phone several times since then and i think his understanding if physiology and training is excellent. lots of great testimonials on his site ===== Finally, one of the athletes I am currently coaching, used TriDot last year to train for his half iron A race, and PR'd the race and he had no complaints. Two of my friends (the athlete I posted about in the paragraph above) and another friend since then, are both coaching for TriDot. FWIW, I have no financial incentive for endorsing Jeff or referring anyone to his program. It is not a scam, and yes they will give you a refund.

I think the OP posted something about "Nigerian Coaching Scam"...oh...wait...

Edited by Jason N 2014-03-05 8:51 PM
2014-03-05 8:51 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Surely could have been worded better....but it's a question, not a false statement.   In light of the response he got from his e-mail, I'd say it's certainly a fair question.

Asking the question as if it's a fact that someone was not refunded.

Really poor taste. It's fine to rant about things you don't like. It's not fine to slander and I am pretty sure it's actually a crime.
2014-03-05 8:52 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

I think the OP posted something about "Nigerian Coaching Scam"...oh...wait...

Yeah, that was me.......and based on the wording, and my prior experience with Nigerian scams and the wording of those scams....I'm good with it.

Spam me with an e-mail like that and watch what happens. LOL

Bo?  Is that you?

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-05 8:57 PM

2014-03-05 8:55 PM

User image

Pro

Surely could have been worded better....but it's a question, not a false statement.   In light of the response he got from his e-mail, I'd say it's certainly a fair question.

Asking the question as if it's a fact that someone was not refunded. Really poor taste. It's fine to rant about things you don't like. It's not fine to slander and I am pretty sure it's actually a crime.

No, actually, it's not a criminal offense (crime).  It can be adjudicated in civil court for damages......I wouldn't advise that based on the response the OP received and the fact that it was an unsolicited e-mail.  

The OP has a better case of Harassment then the sender does for any damages. LOL 

See, this is what happens when the headline of the day is "Teen Sues Parents" .  hahahaha

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-05 8:59 PM
2014-03-05 8:59 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
No, actually, it's not a criminal offense (crime).  It can be adjudicated in civil court for damages......I wouldn't advise that based on the response the OP received.

Eh...so sue me for misusing the word.
2014-03-05 9:02 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain No, actually, it's not a criminal offense (crime).  It can be adjudicated in civil court for damages......I wouldn't advise that based on the response the OP received.
Eh...so sue me for misusing the word.

You know I wouldn't sue ya.....and you did good sticking up for a coach you know. 

THAT'S how it should work. 

No sense throwing around legal ramifications.... that's kind of silly, no? 

2014-03-05 9:04 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
\>

You know I wouldn't sue ya.....and you did good sticking up for a coach you know. 

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a holiday in...once...a long time ago.
2014-03-05 9:16 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

\>

And really... since it was written it might be more closely considered Libel instead of slander...

2014-03-05 9:20 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain \>

And really... since it was written it might be more closely considered Libel instead of slander...

Boo knows Libel?

2014-03-05 9:38 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Left Brain \>

Boo knows Libel?

If nothing else, TriDot should be getting some pretty good feedback on what BT thinks about their marketing campaign.  Unfortunately perception = reality.  Just sayin'

Mark

2014-03-05 10:00 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Asking the question as if it's a fact that someone was not refunded. Really poor taste. It's fine to rant about things you don't like. It's not fine to slander and I am pretty sure it's actually a crime.

No, actually, it's not a criminal offense (crime).  It can be adjudicated in civil court for damages......I wouldn't advise that based on the response the OP received and the fact that it was an unsolicited e-mail.  

The OP has a better case of Harassment then the sender does for any damages. LOL 

See, this is what happens when the headline of the day is "Teen Sues Parents" .  hahahaha

(perriyo.gif)

Attachments
----------------
perriyo.gif (124KB - 5 downloads)
2014-03-05 10:09 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro

Originally posted by strykergt

Bro....you need to send me some of those gifs.....I could be dangerous....and slanderous....and such. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TriDot coaching scam?? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Thoughts on Tridot Training Program

Started by dawgchase
Views: 2947 Posts: 3

2013-03-26 4:57 PM BigTuna

Tridot/TI Swimming Webinar

Started by kingofbanff
Views: 2555 Posts: 11

2012-12-14 4:55 PM vonschnapps

I think this is a scam but... Pages: 1 2

Started by JungleDoc
Views: 2395 Posts: 30

2007-03-27 12:08 PM ironman2010

Incredible deal or scam?

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1331 Posts: 18

2005-05-19 10:06 AM ODogg

Can you say Scam?

Started by Kupe du Monde
Views: 1277 Posts: 7

2005-03-17 3:41 PM B-One
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.

comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.
date : January 1, 2006
author : mikericci
"I don't want someone telling me what to do" or "What if I don't like the workouts?" or "What if we don't get along?" These are important questions to ask as you interview your coach.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.