General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood clot on foot Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-10 1:39 PM

Subject: Blood clot on foot
Public service announcement here...

I did a really hard sprint interval session on my treadmill last Thursday and by the end of it, I had a pretty annoying red patch on the top of my right foot. The vein on the top of my foot was hard and warm to the touch. Just got checked out by some doctors and long story short, I have a superficial blood clot in my vein (for you medical folks, I was diagnosed with Thrombophlebitis). The doctors had never seen a case of this type of clot on top of a foot - so I guess I'm 'exceptional'. Yay for me.

The doctors weren't sure what caused it, but it's a pretty good bet that between the sprint interval session and how I tied my running shoes, somehow a small clot formed. It's no big deal at the end of the day, some ibuprofen and warm compresses should dissolve the clot. And no running for a week or two as well.

So, long story short, be careful how you tie your shoes. My case is pretty benign, but blood clots can be quite serious.

Public service announcement ended.

2014-03-10 2:41 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Subject: RE: Blood clot on foot

blood clots can be quite serious. .

Tell me about it....

Glad it was only superficial.  And you got it in blood clot awareness month to boot!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood clot on foot Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tour de France rider suffers blood clot, be aware Pages: 1 2

Started by ChrisM
Views: 4698 Posts: 36

2011-08-04 12:46 PM LostSheep

Vent. Blood clot - will miss first triathlon Sunday

Started by akatklein
Views: 2329 Posts: 14

2010-08-13 1:22 PM akatklein

First calf muscle tear, now it turns into a blood clot Pages: 1 2

Started by MrSolis
Views: 20833 Posts: 30

2012-02-28 8:21 PM frm-fat-2<fat

abrasions/cuts at the back of the feet 3 inches above the heel of the foot

Started by steven
Views: 1146 Posts: 4

2004-05-06 10:30 PM evrunning

When to donate Blood while training

Started by DRM
Views: 1320 Posts: 9

2004-03-23 12:11 PM ivorytower
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 10, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I will describe the more common running foot injuries and discuss contributing risk factors as well as treatments and corrections for prevention.

date : December 18, 2012
comments : 0
I expected to hurt after the marathon, and I did but there was nothing that I was immediately alarmed about. Since then, the foot pain that popped up after the marathon has not really gone away.
date : September 21, 2012
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.
date : March 19, 2009
Would getting the veins fixed have any potential triathlon performance implications? Is there anything else I should be doing for them when I swim/bike/run?

date : February 11, 2009
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.
date : May 12, 2008
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.

date : August 7, 2007
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?