General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If virtual power inside, what outside? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-12 2:00 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Subject: If virtual power inside, what outside?
Thinking about finally signing up for TrainerRoad for those sessions when I'm inside. Random question for those who use it: if on the trainer you use virtual power to guide your workouts, what do you do outside (assuming you have cadence/speed sensors only)? Right now I just go by RPE all the time, but I'm wondering if there's any way to translate what you do with TrainerRoad when it's not available.

2014-03-12 2:04 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Subject: RE: If virtual power inside, what outside?
I have a powermeter but you can use HR or RPE.

Get trainerroad and just do all your interval sessions indoors...then long rides on weekends. you'll be fine.
2014-03-12 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I'm in the same boat as you. Outdoor riding is starting up around here so my plan is to do long rides outdoors by RPE but still do trainer rides inside for those short intense workouts. I've seen great improvements with my FTP during my winter program (I'm in the Power Mentor group) so I want to stay focused.

I'm thinking about using a HRM while on the trainer in the next week or so to see if there's a good correlation between power and HR and maybe I can get a better RPE strategy going for the outdoor rides.
2014-03-12 2:39 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Thinking about finally signing up for TrainerRoad for those sessions when I'm inside. Random question for those who use it: if on the trainer you use virtual power to guide your workouts, what do you do outside (assuming you have cadence/speed sensors only)? Right now I just go by RPE all the time, but I'm wondering if there's any way to translate what you do with TrainerRoad when it's not available.

You learn to correlate your RPE with the virtual power so that when you're outside, your RPE is better calibrated based on your indoor experience.

It's jus tlike someone who has had a HRM for a long time, after awhile you don't really need it as you can correlate your efforts pretty well.

That's another thought is to get a HRM and correlate that with your virutal power, then outdoors use the matching HR zones if yo uare wanting to do intervals. (or just use RPE)
2014-03-12 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4964216

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Thanks for the suggestions! I already have a heart rate monitor I (inconsistently) use while running, so I'll give that a shot.
2014-03-12 8:28 PM

User image

Pro

start with TrainerRoad.  it will get you so hooked on power, that you'll be searching for a powertap within 6 months.

HR works for long steady stretches.  RPE... pretty well sux.  I've proven to myself again and again.  If I'm shooting to do an hour at 90% FTP, and stop looking at the meter for 5 min.. I'm +/- 30 watts.  And that's a big difference.  One of the tricks of making the most out of what you've got on race day, is to put out a steady power, just at the level you can sustain for the race.  The smaller the 'variability index', the more efficient you can ride.  

it's like cheating.  

some day- you'll be beat by a lesser rider, because he (maybe me) had power and you didn't.  then- you'll spend the money.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If virtual power inside, what outside? Rss Feed