General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vets - Toughest part of your marathon training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-07 12:12 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Vets - Toughest part of your marathon training?
I've asked three people so far, what was their hardest stages in training for a marthon (especially their first one), and so far all expressed disgust in miles 10-14 as being their hardes. For some reason miles 15 & up were not necessarily easy but not as terrible as stated.

I just did 11mi for the first time and am totally stoked (wish I had a better time but still happy that I'm able to do the miles). Yes, it's tough but my confidence increases with each passing miles (still crossing my fingers and knocking on wood though).

What was your toughest part of training (especially for your first full)? Was it a certain mileage? Was it something specific or a combo, or maby even a different issue as the miles increased (mental as opposed to physical, digestive, etc.)? Maybe the entire training?
Also, what how did you over-come it? Did you plow right thru it or came up with some kind of snazzy trick?

2006-08-07 1:09 PM
in reply to: #504234

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: Vets - Toughest part of your marathon training?
For me the hardest was the 18 and 20 miler. Just because it took me so long and it seemed like it would never end!

My friend and I made it seem better because we were running 5 mile loops. We tried to look at it like we were just running 4 laps instead of 20 miles....
2006-08-07 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Mile repeats!!
2006-08-07 1:25 PM

User image

Baltimore, MD
You can count me in with your friends! I ran Richmond as my first mary, and all of my long runs were great except for 14 miles. I had been sick that week with a fever and was barely recovered for the run. I had to stop and walk many times and felt like I was going to die for the last five miles. I cried to my husband when I got home that I'd never be able to finish the marathon. Surprisingly though that was the only bad run I had!!
2006-08-07 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
I've only done one, but the hardest was running 16 miles by myself. Definitely try to find someone to run your LSDs with. That and matching your nutrition to you. I needed an extra gu boost before the friend I ran with occasionally. The day I followed her schedule, I just about crashed.
2006-08-07 1:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN

i have done 3 marathons now and bonk at the same place miles 15-19. I guess it is mental...you think you are feeling great at the 1/2 way mark and then you hit a few more miles and then you are like 'crap I have 12 more miles to go"..for me it is mental and I am usually alone for this stretch. By the time I hit 18 or 19, Yes I am dog tired and EVERYTHING hurts but I know I have less than 7 miles and hey that is a 'short run' in my mind.

No matter how well your training runs go, dont underestimate how tough the last 8 miles are (especially if you only train to 18 or 20). REmember when you train, you re probably resting every 3-5 miles if you are going in group that has water/food station. You don't stop like that during a race. 

Now that I KNOW the thoughts will come I expect them and KNOW i will get past it. Trust me, the final miles...think about what you have accomplished!!! and no matter how dog tired you are, when you see the crowd, you will have new energy to finish.

but mostly pace yourself. Do your front 1/2 a little slower than usual rather than faster. I know so many people who sailed past me in the beginning only for me to pass them at mile 18 ...have good music with you in case you lose your pack. Just be prepared for the mental stuff and be prepared for the physical fatigue. Eat and hyrdrate well.

2006-08-07 1:58 PM
in reply to: #504390

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I had the hardest time with the first 17 miler ....... I ended up walking two and a half miles at the end of that one. It was a terrible run. But the next week I came back and did the scheduled 18 really well.

And in my plan last year, I had two 20 milers with the first one much "harder" even though it was on an easier course.
2006-08-07 5:37 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
In my training I did a full marathon before 2 of my 3 marathons. Miles 18-20 were lousy, but once I was after the 20 mile mark..."yippe only a 10k left to go!" The other thing I hated was all of the Gu's, PowerGels, etc. Toward the last miles of a run, I would have killed for anything solid to eat! I tried PowerBars, but if those sit in your racing belt with the sun shining on them....they turn into hot taffy, yuck. That's when I started to use LifeSavers in my training & racing. I began using them as a reward during each mile mark. Good luck!
Abbie
2006-08-07 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
I've only ran one. During the training anything over 16miles sucked in the biggest way. Even harder than the actual event. During the event I never even hit a wall. Just had a Power Gel every 6.5 miles and sucked down water or gatorade at every hydration point. I also made sure to use Gels during training. Anyways I talk too much. Any training run over 16mi was horrible. Not looking forward to them the next time I train for one.
2006-08-07 7:26 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
I've run 10 (8 sub 3, PR 2:51 blah blah blah)...but didn't run my first until 1998 after running basically maintenance mileage since graduating from college in '83. Never really had what I considered a tough part of marathon training because I had been a runner for so long.

But, after 9 marathons I read an interview with Arthur Lydiard in Marathon and Beyond magazine, and in the same issue another interview with one of Lydiard's athletes Peter Snell (Olympic gold medalist 800 m). After reading Lydiard's approach I realized that I had to run more miles (increased from 55 to 70 mpw) and that most of my past mileage was TOO SLOW. Many people mistakenly believe that Lydiard advocated long, slow distance. He actually had long, fast (relative) distance as an integral part of his training philosophy. I immediately (as in, as soon as I put the article down I literally ran out the door for a 12 miler) started doing a lot more 12 milers at LT pace and tried to have a higher percentage of my long runs at a faster pace. Prior to this change, I would always fade at about 19 miles. After the change I didn't suffer the last 6 miles like I did in the past (not that it was easy). I also followed much of what Daniels says in his book Running Formula.

This probably doesn't get at your question, but take it for what its worth...good luck.
2006-08-07 7:58 PM

Veteran
Denver
cobannero: What marathon are you running?

I just signed up for the Seattle Marathon over Thanksgiving weekend. This will be my first.

I'm only in the 3rd week of Higdon's beginner program so I'm really worried how hard the long runs are going to be on me. Are you using a specific program for training?

Good Luck

2006-08-07 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
East Lansing, MI
Congratulations on your 11 mile run! That's the longest training run I've ever done, since I've only done a half marathon. But I'm planning on a full next year. I guess my advice is that the pride lasts longer than the pain..
2006-08-07 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

I've only done one marathon and I used the Hal Higdon intermediate plan, which calls for two 20 mile runs.  The first one really sucked but I felt much better on the second and went into the race with a lot of confidence.  The hardest part I had with the training was the running 5 days a week.  I've always done a lot of cross training and doing that much running was a shock to my system at first.  It took a while to get use to the stress.

Ernie 

2006-08-07 9:32 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
For the poster above, I did Hal Higdon's beginner program for my first two marathons and it worked very well for both of them. As for the hardest part of the marathon training . . .

Any run over 15-16 miles that I've had to do by myself and ingesting and keeping gus and/or food in my system after I finished my first 18 miler and the race itself. I ate something for recovery but my body didn't want it, not for about three hours afterwards. I didn't want to crash after I got home though so I forced down a gu, a half a banana, a half a bagel and as much gatorade and water as I could. It was rough. I had to do it in very little bits and pieces.

I got over the food issue and now I could eat a feast the moment I step over the finish line (and sometimes before).

Definitely find company for the long runs.

2006-08-07 10:41 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
9x1 mile repeats on 1 minute rest in the dark in January when it was about 20 degrees. The rest wasn't so bad. ;-)
2006-08-08 12:10 AM
in reply to: #504871

Master
Brooklyn, NY
WOW! Thanks all for your input!!

Guess I don't have it that bad yet. I do have to admit, it is starting to get a bit boring running by myself. That is the main reason I find it hard to do the same route twice on the LSD. I'm lucky enough that I can find different places and in different directions to run....so far. No, music is not for me on the road, any device sticking in my sweaty ears and some delicate electronic device is not my thing (especially if there is any chance of rain - I'm all for a good soaking on a hard work out). One big reason for now music eiithe is if there is a chance cars and myself come close to each other.

Greast feedback - Thanks!!

2006-08-08 12:20 AM
in reply to: #504871

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Novo - 2006-08-07 8:58 PM
cobannero: What marathon are you running?

I just signed up for the Seattle Marathon over Thanksgiving weekend. This will be my first.

I'm only in the 3rd week of Higdon's beginner program so I'm really worried how hard the long runs are going to be on me. Are you using a specific program for training?

Good Luck

Hey Novo,
To give you a more complete answer (hopefully not too long)- I'm doing at least one half - NYC Half in 3 weeks, then either a NYC Road Runner's "tune up" (20mi brutal course for the NYC mary or a second half (Staten Island half), in Sept. All of those coincide nicely with my Philly marathon training plan (give or take a mile or two here and there).
I looked up a few programs Runner's World beginner program and NY Road Runner's programs (the guys & gals that run the NYC marathon). Put them both side by siide, asked questions and some advice from marathon veterans then created my own according to my "beginner level" and fine tuned it after getting feedback.

In other words I did some research, tossed in a dash of common sense, a cup-full of advice, a good long look a reality in accordance to my skill level (or lack thereof), a pinch of salt and gently stirred while asking for well intended chefs (some well skilled), for their opinions. And what I have is a plan that has been working for me so far. I barely started putting it on my planned logs but will all be there soon if you'd like to see.

Good luck to you too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vets - Toughest part of your marathon training? Rss Feed