General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Cancer survivor, ready to train Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-11 9:18 PM

Subject: Cancer survivor, ready to train
I am 27 years old, and finished chemo for breast cancer six months ago. Three and a half months ago, I had a mastectomy. I have been semi-athletic for years, but never have I had the motivation to really do something as I do now, post-cancer.

I used to do little 5Ks, never very competitively, in college. I played some soccer, rowed on crew, biked for fun, and swam when I got the opportunity.

I recently bought a new bike, and have been building my strength back up. I re-joined a gym a few months ago, right before my mastectomy as a way to encourage my road back to health. Watching the Tour de France this year, hanging out at the cycle shop where I got my new bike, and thinking through my goals, I've decided that I want to compete in a triathlon.

I don't know how soon I'll be able to compete, as I've got one more surgery coming up in late August. But I'm hoping to train between now and then and get as fit as possible - I will lose time and training during and after the surgery, but it shouldn't be as bad as my mastectomy, and I had full motion back and was able to get in the water four weeks post-op with that.

I have printed off some training schedules from this website. One issue I'm facing is that I'm between cities - I go to school in Indianapolis (only one more year!) and I will be "settling" in Chicago next summer. Whether to join a Tri club is a question I haven't answered yet. Another issue I have is that, on a student budget, fancy equipment ($100 shoes, etc.) is not an option. I don't want to hurt myself, but I don't want to blow a lot of money either. Finally, I do not have a road bike - that's something I hope to invest in down the road a little. Right now, I'm riding a hybrid.

My initial goal is to complete a triathlon - later, I intend to become a little more competitive. If anyone has any words of advice or motivation, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

2004-07-11 9:45 PM
in reply to: #36722

Subject: RE: Cancer survivor, ready to train
Deb,
I don't think you need any words of motivation! You sound like an amazing person. Good luck with your training and treatment.

My entry into this sport came through Team in Training, which is part of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. They have great programs for marathon, triathlon and cycling. I could not swim more than 25 meters this January. I completed a triathlon today with a 1000 meter swim (in about 22 minutes) and am doing a 1/2 Ironman in August. Last year at this time, I was sitting on the couch, eating corn puffs and drinking beer (40 lbs heavier than I am now). I really owe all of this to the TNT organization, through which I have met many friends and been motivated and trained. I'm sure there is a chapter in Indianapolis.

As for equipment . . . you don't need fancy shoes to enjoy the sport. I'd suggest doing a few events and keeping your eyes open for what types of equipment are out there. When the time comes that you want to buy a road or tri bike, there are lots of good bargains over the internet.

Anyway, I admire you for your determination. With your attitude and desire, you will do great. Good luck!

J.D.
2004-07-11 11:13 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome and thanks for sharing your story!
2004-07-12 1:16 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Welcome!  Thanks for sharing your story!  You've gone through a lot and it's very cool that you are thinking about triathlons!  And don't worry, you don't need much - you've got a bike, you just need shoes, goggles, and a bathing suit!  You will be fine with that. 

Good luck in your training, your next surgery, and your race!

2004-07-12 3:00 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-07-13 8:28 AM

Elite
Racine, WI
Wow Deb, I should be getting inspiration from you instead of theother way around! I think we've all faced budgetary concerns when it comes to this sport, I'm fighting them now...just keep plugging. I haven't joined a tri club because the one here seems to charge to even go for a club run....I can't pay to go for a run! But keep at it, contrary to popular belief you don't NEED all the fancy equipment to enjoy this...the only thing I would be overly concerned about is running shoes. But you can get good shoes for not so much anymore, no need to spend $100 on them for sure.

Anyway, best of luck with your training AND your health! Let us know how it's all going...Cindy

2004-07-13 9:56 AM

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Welcome to the site and congratulations on your victory over cancer! It's great to have you here!

Kelly
2004-07-13 12:06 PM

Champion
Gold member
great story.  i'm confident you will acheive your goals and i can't wait to hear that first race report.  regarding the shoes and tight budget...invest what is needed in shoes  in my opinion its the only peice of training equipment that one should not skimp on.  getting the right shoes at a knowledgeable running store will prevent injuries and keep your down time to a minimum.  many injuries can be prevented or sent packing with correct shoes...spend that ~$100 if needed.
2004-07-13 7:31 PM

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Hah...you need motivation like I need another Big Mac!!! Sounds like you have enough to go around. Good luck with your upcoming medical, been there done that with family member. As for the equipment, I learnd from several sources, more expensive is not needed right away, If you are going to spend big money, spend it on GOOD running shoes. Don't know if you have 'em, but here in SoCal, BIG 5 sports has a lot of really good deals on name brand running shoes, sometimes 30-50% off. I got a pair of Saucney GRID III for $50. Shop around and you can get off pretty cheap. It's not the equipment, it's the operator!

2004-07-31 1:46 AM

Extreme Veteran
pinoy city
congratulations on your recovery. myself, i am a kidney recipient and have done sprint
triathlons already. I'm training for an olympic distance in august. my advice us just be
modest on what you spend because improvements at our level mostly is how fit we get ourselves to be . i see alot of triathletes with modest equipment on where i race.
2004-07-31 12:00 PM

Hi, Deb! I just found this site, shortly after making the decision to attempt a sprint duathlon. I'm not a swimmer at this point. But, I am a survivor! I was treated for breast cancer about 7 years ago. (In fact, today is the anniversary of Day 1 of my bone marrow transplant.) I have always been pretty active, and used to run half-marathons before cancer. The treatment slowed me down considerably, so I took up mountain biking to try to beat the mountain instead of the clock. I have continued to run short distances to "compete" in 5K or 8Ks for fun and to support causes--RACE FOT THE CURE is my favorite, needless to say. This summer I added road cycling to the mix, and when I saw a duathlon advertised, thought that might be just the right kind of fun for me. It makes the running and riding more fun when I have a goal. I really don't expect to be competitive, but I certainly plan to have fun. My long-range goal is to outlive the competition! At age 52, there aren't many competitors in my age group. Just wait until I'm 80! Best of luck with your training and your health.
Jan

2004-07-31 8:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Thunder Bay, Ontario
way to go !! good luck with your health and the tri
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Cancer survivor, ready to train Rss Feed