General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 IM Training Plan Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-18 8:41 AM

User image

Subject: Beginner 1/2 IM Training Plan Question
I printed out the pdf version of the 1/2 IM training plan, which is each week on a single sheet. However, some of the workouts on the printed version are reverse of what is listed on the online plan workouts. For instance, week 6, Monday lists bike, then swim workouts. The printed version lists the swim first, then the bike. Does it matter which order to do the workouts (I would think it would)?

Second question regarding order of workouts: For the workout week 6, Thursday, run is listed, then swim (this one is listed in a consistent order both online and the pdf). Should I, in fact, do the run, then swim, or should I try to brick this as a swim, then run right afterwards? Thanks for any help; I want to maximize my workout efforts.

2014-03-18 3:05 PM
in reply to: splyndyd

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 IM Training Plan Question

I *think* the online version defaults to listing S-B-R in that order, no matter what.  The pdf version was "as written".  But, generally, it is not too important which order you do the workouts unless it is specified (eg, "Today will be a bike-run brick").  And, again unless specified, you can do the workouts in separate sessions.  Most of them are intended to be done that way.  On that Wk. 6 Thursday workout, for example, I would definitely not do those sessions as a brick since both of them are intended to be somewhat challenging.  Do one in the am and the other in the pm, if possible.

2014-03-18 3:20 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Thank you for responding and the advice...I need all I can get!
2014-03-18 10:24 PM
in reply to: splyndyd

User image

I always swim first. I tried a few times to swim after a hard run or hard bike ride and it didn't go well. I started to cramp when I normally never do. Mind you, this was after a 9-10 mile run, so I wasn't totally fresh and I was sweating a lot too. I also prefer to workout after the swim since the sweat helps clear the chlorine out of my swim. I always do S->B->S for my bricks. The exception being on my long run day. I do a high RPM (100+ cadence) low resistance (Z1-Z2) ride right after my long run (~30 minutes to get home to the trainer) and my legs almost never feel sore the day after, even on my 20 miler days.
2014-03-19 7:39 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

I agree; it just makes sense to swim first. I could see maybe an easy 30 minute recovery swim after a long run or bike, but not a long workout. And, I am not a very fast swimmer (yet), so my workouts are longer than the listed swimming times in the training plans. I figure better to stay in the water and do the distance than to jump out after 45 minutes and say I'm done. I'm getting better, though! Good idea on the recovery spin after a long run, too. I think I'll give that a try.

I think I've had this mindset that I need to brick all of these workouts unless the plan specifically says not to. But, perhaps JohnnyKay is right, and unless it specifically says to brick, I can split the workouts up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 IM Training Plan Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beginner Triathelet's IM training plan vs "Be Iron Fit" plan

Started by ironcop17
Views: 10909 Posts: 18

2012-11-26 8:53 PM japewang

Free beginner IM plan

Started by mikerunkle
Views: 1649 Posts: 6

2011-07-11 8:53 AM Detroit Dan

BT Beginner IM Plan-Taper

Started by 98hogbay
Views: 863 Posts: 5

2009-10-29 2:40 AM pamiejane

BT Beginner IM plan

Started by 98hogbay
Views: 1266 Posts: 20

2009-08-20 11:03 AM fsr402

Beginner IM Training Plan: Bronze vs Silver

Started by buhl0006
Views: 819 Posts: 5

2009-08-04 2:39 PM cctri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : February 12, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Now is the time to practice, perfect and master your training and racing nutrition. Especially for the beginner triathlete, this is the time for developing an individualized nutrition plan.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.