General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-19 9:22 AM

User image

Subject: Bike fit question
I had a bike fit done about a month ago with two objectives, to get my current road bike to fit as well as possible and get ideal stack/reach for future tri bike purchase. Long story short, fitter adjusted my fit on my road bike and told me the frame fit me well. His initial impression was I needed more stack, but by the end liked the fit. Then he said I should use the stack/reach of this bike as a starting point when looking for a tri bike. The stack/reach of my road bike (felt f80) is 527/389. I am however using a shorter stem (not sure of the size, don't have it in front of me.

My questions: When going from road to tri bike geometries are there any rules as far as comparing stack/reach to the road measurements? Should i look for less stack/more reach to get a more aggressive position?

How far can you deviate from the ideal numbers?

I have found a pretty good deal on a blue triad medium that has a s/r of 539/398. Is this reasonable?

I consider myself to be of average proportions, not especially long or short leg/torso.

2014-03-19 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4967816

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Bike fit question
That doesn't make any sense at all... There's going to be changes in stack/reach between a road bike and a tri bike. In some instances, quite significant changes.
2014-03-19 9:39 AM
in reply to: 2thhacker

User image

New user
penticton
That is not what bike fitting is about.

you need to get a proper tri bike fit done to know what stack and reach is optimal for you. Your road bike ''isnt'' a starting point.

2014-03-19 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4967824

User image

That's what I was afraid of. Is there anything I can take from this other than a better road by position? This fitter was recommended and was not cheap. I chose him based on recommendation and that he is not affiliated w a bike shop. Hoping for unbiased advice.
2014-03-19 10:49 AM

User image

New user
penticton
in term of tri bike. if the fitter didnt give you mesurement recommendation, then, it become a pure guess

and a guess is dangerous when buying a new bike because that is a lot more expensive than a bike fit.

i dont want to accuse the fitter. it really depend what you went there for and ask him to? if you went there because you wanted recommendation for a trifit, then, i say he completly miss the point.

if you went there for a bike fit, you got that. was he FIST certified?
2014-03-19 10:59 AM

As others have mentioned, trying to translate your road bike fit to a tri bike size is going to be difficult. Fitting a bike and sizing a bike are two different things, and road bikes have very different stack/reach proportions versus tri bikes.

What you really need is total stack and total reach - your frame stack and reach plus your stem and aerobars. That also does not translate well from road to tri, since you are changing the cockpit and how your body interacts with it (hands on hoods versus elbows on rests). To properly size your bike, you either need to find a fitter or shop who has some sort of fit bike (Retul, Guru, Exit, Purely Custom, etc.) or has some other way to measure you for the right size.

If you don't have access to that, you can check out the Competitive Cyclist "fit" calculator, which I've found to be somewhat useful:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.j...

It will get you within range. Is it perfect? No. But, it's better than what you've got.

I hope that helps!
Travis

2014-03-19 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4967885

User image

I clearly told him I wanted to both optimize my fit on my existing bike and get recommendations for a tri bike. I was trying to follow the "get fit first" advice that is repeated so often here. Not sure about FIST. I found him from positive remarks about him on BT. He is a retul fitter, although the software was not working when I was there. He didn't realize this until we were in the middle of the fit. He did recommend some bikes, but he was basing this on the stack and reach of my road bike. Also, a fair amount of variation in s/r of recommended bikes (felt b16 and cannondale slice both recommended).
2014-03-19 12:16 PM

FYI: After my post, I thought I would play around with the Competitive Cyclist fit tool, using measurements I had entered a while ago. For some reason, the triathlon bike version is coming back with some odd numbers for the top tube length - they are much shorter than what I had before. I sent a message to CC to let them know it doesn't seem right.
2014-03-19 10:25 PM

that's really odd that the Felt and Slice were recommended as they are almost on the opposite spectrum of s/r. this is just a guess but if you are on a Felt F series now I would look at they new B14 or B12 out there as a starting point. If there are any shops in the area, never hurts to sit on one and see if it fits. Felt has a decent sizing chart that compares the varies bikes based on height.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Bike, Bike fit Questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 1078 Posts: 8

2011-10-26 11:14 PM gzh6464

Tri-Bike Fitting Question - Pre-Fit

Started by pharmacist25
Views: 1630 Posts: 13

2011-07-13 10:12 AM audiojan

Bike fitting question...

Started by Freeswimmingfish
Views: 1015 Posts: 11

2006-01-17 11:48 PM AdventureBear

Bike Fit Question

Started by Aikane
Views: 892 Posts: 8

2004-09-13 7:26 AM Machiavelo

Bike fitting question

Started by cjy2d
Views: 789 Posts: 6

2004-08-17 1:21 PM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems