General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did you get your Flos? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-20 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Subject: Did you get your Flos?
I was able to get a FLO 90 rear wheel but missed out on a 60 front.

Does anyone have a 60 front for sale?

2014-03-20 1:44 PM
in reply to: triguy1043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Did you get your Flos?

I bought a 90 front.  I feel dirty buying it as I hate their business model, but I needed a reliable front wheel.  My Chinese front started to fail on me.

2014-03-20 2:23 PM
in reply to: triguy1043

User image

Waldwick
bought a set of 30's for the road bike, log on and done in 30 seconds.
Purchased a 60/90 TT setup last year, might use the 30's as trainer wheels also but probably just keep them on the roadie.
2014-03-21 9:21 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by msteiner

I bought a 90 front.  I feel dirty buying it as I hate their business model, but I needed a reliable front wheel.  My Chinese front started to fail on me.

Why do you hate their business model? You do understand that they are looking long term on this and not going for short term growth but instead long term success right?

Yes for the consumer it is a bit frustrating of a model to have at this point in time, but its working great. Having such a high demand is a great problem to have right now
2014-03-21 9:27 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Originally posted by bcagle25

Why do you hate their business model? You do understand that they are looking long term on this and not going for short term growth but instead long term success right? Yes for the consumer it is a bit frustrating of a model to have at this point in time, but its working great. Having such a high demand is a great problem to have right now

Granted, I don't own any Flo wheels, but their model is great. I feel that by selling only what they have in stock, they are doing their customers a huge favor. No back order, they QA the stock before taking your money, and treat each sale as a personal relationship. I'm saving up saving for a new set of race wheels and Flo is at the top of my selection. Most likely 60/90.

2014-03-21 1:54 PM
in reply to: vertseven

Suwanee, Georgia
I got 60f/90r. The business model is a little unconventional, but it's certainly better than taking orders and then hunting for a supplier while you are sitting on folks' money IMO. Or, sourcing different components from different suppliers but slapping the same label on the outside, resulting in steady supply, but spotty quality/reliability.

I truly wish there were more people in this market segment. They seem to be the only ones sitting in the middle ground between the $350/set market and the >$2000/set market.

2014-03-21 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Why do you hate their business model? You do understand that they are looking long term on this and not going for short term growth but instead long term success right? Yes for the consumer it is a bit frustrating of a model to have at this point in time, but its working great. Having such a high demand is a great problem to have right now

The model works great for them.  For the customer, it's nerve wracking.  I gave them the benefit of the doubt the first few preorders, since they were a new company, but this was the 11th "preorder".  Because of their model, there are people who want to buy their wheels and won't get them and probably have to go another direction. 

Using myself as an example, I decided to try for a Flo 90, because an equivalent used wheel (Zipp 808, HED Wheel, etc) was going to cost the same price if not a little more.  However, I needed a front wheel this season, so if I didn't get a wheel this preorder, I would have started looking for a used wheel.  Their model would have cost me as a customer.  

The typical response is "so what?  They sell out anyway", which is fine if all they're worried about is selling out each order, but they lose potential customers in the process as well as build resentment from those that didn't get the wheels they were hoping to order. If I were an owner, I'd want every customer I could get, but maybe that's why I'm not a business owner.

2014-03-21 2:56 PM

Suwanee, Georgia
Demand is high for sure. I checked 2.5 hours after the sale started, and the only thing left were the 30's. (and the stickers) A short while later, the run was sold out.

So used wheels should command a premium as well if my micro classes still hold true.

I don't think resentment is the right word. And I don't think it costs the end consumer money, unless the end consumer then decides to go buy a non-comparable, higher priced wheel. If the end consumer goes out and buys some Mavics or Shimano non carbon wheels, it would cost less.

It does cost Flo some customers though.
2014-03-21 3:19 PM
in reply to: ctowne

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by ctowne Demand is high for sure. I checked 2.5 hours after the sale started, and the only thing left were the 30's. (and the stickers) A short while later, the run was sold out. So used wheels should command a premium as well if my micro classes still hold true. I don't think resentment is the right word. And I don't think it costs the end consumer money, unless the end consumer then decides to go buy a non-comparable, higher priced wheel. If the end consumer goes out and buys some Mavics or Shimano non carbon wheels, it would cost less. It does cost Flo some customers though.

I did say hate, which is a strong word that I shouldn't have used.  There is resentment that you can see in even a current ST thread about this current order.  I understand that the guys are doing what they think is best, and it does work.  Like I said, maybe that's why I'm not in business.  I would go broke trying to please everyone.

2014-03-21 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

The model works great for them.  For the customer, it's nerve wracking.  I gave them the benefit of the doubt the first few preorders, since they were a new company, but this was the 11th "preorder".  Because of their model, there are people who want to buy their wheels and won't get them and probably have to go another direction. 

Using myself as an example, I decided to try for a Flo 90, because an equivalent used wheel (Zipp 808, HED Wheel, etc) was going to cost the same price if not a little more.  However, I needed a front wheel this season, so if I didn't get a wheel this preorder, I would have started looking for a used wheel.  Their model would have cost me as a customer.  

The typical response is "so what?  They sell out anyway", which is fine if all they're worried about is selling out each order, but they lose potential customers in the process as well as build resentment from those that didn't get the wheels they were hoping to order. If I were an owner, I'd want every customer I could get, but maybe that's why I'm not a business owner.

Well with 2 brothers running a very small company and making very little profit on this (so far) I think you underestimate everything they are doing.

Sure they could stop the pre-orders increase production and sell 1,000's of wheels, but with that comes a decrease in production quality. Would you rather want your wheels now in a huge order and not be 100% satisfied or would you rather deal with the minor complications and have wheels that are 100% up to standards.

Want more wheels? Then more molds need to be made, more staff needs to be hired, more space is needed, etc.

I think many people fail to realize just everything those two brothers do and all that it takes to start up a business from scratch when already still paying off debt from school.

I have bought wheels on 3 preorders and have never had a problem getting through, not sure why people have so much trouble time and time again.
2014-03-21 4:22 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
All I can is I got some Flo 60's several orders back and IMO they are the best bang for your buck wheels out there. I was tickled to get them on my first attempt but even if I wouldn't have gotten them I was prepared to wait for the next order.

2014-03-21 4:34 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25 Well with 2 brothers running a very small company and making very little profit on this (so far) I think you underestimate everything they are doing. Sure they could stop the pre-orders increase production and sell 1,000's of wheels, but with that comes a decrease in production quality. Would you rather want your wheels now in a huge order and not be 100% satisfied or would you rather deal with the minor complications and have wheels that are 100% up to standards. Want more wheels? Then more molds need to be made, more staff needs to be hired, more space is needed, etc. I think many people fail to realize just everything those two brothers do and all that it takes to start up a business from scratch when already still paying off debt from school. I have bought wheels on 3 preorders and have never had a problem getting through, not sure why people have so much trouble time and time again.

It's an impressive feat, for sure. But some customers don't think like you. Some want wheels when they want wheels.

I can definitely see both sides of the argument.

And, I'm fairly sure, that if/when I decide to finally drop $$ on race wheels, it'll be ones that I can purchase immediately. Likely used. So, I really don't have a dog in the fight

2014-03-22 9:00 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by bcagle25 Well with 2 brothers running a very small company and making very little profit on this (so far) I think you underestimate everything they are doing. Sure they could stop the pre-orders increase production and sell 1,000's of wheels, but with that comes a decrease in production quality. Would you rather want your wheels now in a huge order and not be 100% satisfied or would you rather deal with the minor complications and have wheels that are 100% up to standards. Want more wheels? Then more molds need to be made, more staff needs to be hired, more space is needed, etc. I think many people fail to realize just everything those two brothers do and all that it takes to start up a business from scratch when already still paying off debt from school. I have bought wheels on 3 preorders and have never had a problem getting through, not sure why people have so much trouble time and time again.

It's an impressive feat, for sure. But some customers don't think like you. Some want wheels when they want wheels.

And, I'm fairly sure, that if/when I decide to finally drop $$ on race wheels, it'll be ones that I can purchase immediately. Likely used. So, I really don't have a dog in the fight

Yeah I understand the different views, but I think the only reason people don't like flo is because they don't get/have the wheels
2014-03-22 9:11 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Yeah I understand the different views, but I think the only reason people don't like flo is because they don't  CAN'T get/have the wheels

I fixed it for you......and that is an issue for any business.  I like what they are doing, but they also miss quite a few customers for sure.  Still, I'm impressed with the way they have handled their business in light of the fact that most of it comes from message boards, which can be brutal/stupid and unforgiving. 

2014-03-22 4:45 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
I picked up an 60/60 set over a year ago for my wife. She stopped riding before the wheels were ever fitter and we regifted the wheels to me for Xmas :-) I have yet to ride them, messy winter weather means I've been doing my outside rides on the MTB and Cyclocross bikes. Tomorrow could be my very delayed first ride on the Flo's. Looking forward to trying them for out.

The business model is interesting for sure. Not making any friends at LBS's but as a consumer pretty good deal to be had. I dont view much different than Ebay in some regards. If you want the item you nerd to be able to press buy at the right time.
2014-03-22 6:14 PM
in reply to: magic

User image

I tried to get Flos twice before I gave up and got something else. The orders open up right in the middle of the day. Both times I got pulled away to do something. It's not like I can tell my boss that I'm waiting to order something and he's going to have to wait. I think I could have get a pair in time, before my races this year, but I wanted a sure thing, not a "maybe I'll get them in 4 months" type of thing. I understand why they have to do what they do but it does suck for people who actually want them. I'm sure in a year or so, they'll get production ramped up and it will be ok but they are not there yet.

2014-03-22 6:18 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by Blastman

I tried to get Flos twice before I gave up and got something else. The orders open up right in the middle of the day. Both times I got pulled away to do something. It's not like I can tell my boss that I'm waiting to order something and he's going to have to wait. I think I could have get a pair in time, before my races this year, but I wanted a sure thing, not a "maybe I'll get them in 4 months" type of thing. I understand why they have to do what they do but it does suck for people who actually want them. I'm sure in a year or so, they'll get production ramped up and it will be ok but they are not there yet.

When I got mine I told my boss about a week in advance I was going to take my lunch hour during the time they went up for sale.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did you get your Flos? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2102 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Swimming! Hopefully it's getting worse before it gets better?

Started by Buffo870
Views: 690 Posts: 2

2010-08-05 9:23 AM DanielG

Should I be getting faster or my HR be getting slower?

Started by eklung05
Views: 2318 Posts: 18

2010-06-15 7:52 PM rockrunner

getting a bike fitting done

Started by rod23
Views: 876 Posts: 3

2010-02-18 9:37 AM jgerbodegrant

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1656 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?

date : September 16, 2011
comments : 0
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 1
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.

date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Males should be screened from their twenties onward with a fasting lipid profile to assess overall cardiovascular disease risk.