General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cheap Denali Bike + 1st Half Ironman = ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-22 7:31 PM

Subject: Cheap Denali Bike + 1st Half Ironman = ?
CHEAP BIKE ALERT. CAUTION: SLOW RIDER! My name is Anneke, and I have a slow bike. I realize my best bet is to buy a proper road bike, but I bought this one last year to do some sprints and would prefer to deal with it or tweak it, save up some money, and get a "real" road bike later ($1000+). I'm training for the 70.3 Muncie and have been riding my fly wheel indoor bike through the winter. My coach and my training partner both say I need to spend the $400-500 to get a used real bike. So...........

1) I'm doing the Muncie
2) I'm not trying to clock a certain time, though faster is of course better - my goal is to finish with a smile since it's my first
3) Is there anything you'd recommend I do to my Denali to improve its efficiency, even a little? Pedals, etc?
4) I do NOT have more than $500 so please don't suggest I spend more than that. Ain't gonna happen.
5) Bonus round: pedal and shoe suggestions welcomed as well!

Thanks so much for all your feedback. I'm loving the sport and am excited to continue!

Anneke

2014-03-23 4:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Cheap Denali Bike + 1st Half Ironman = ?
Hello, and welcome. I am about the last person qualified to give advice, but I may be able to sum up some of the wisdom I have read on this forumFirst, do not worry about your current bike, as far as quality goes... Most important question is "how does it fit?" If it is TOO big or TOO small, you face a large challenge. If you can ride it comfortably in a position that is efficient as far as aerodynamics and optimizes your training so far, then you will finish with a smile. If you can post a picture or better is a video, the truly wise here can offer advice as to your fit.I would not put a penny into it, BUT you may find some items worth buying. I assume you are using stock pedals... if so, a set of clipless will help with the smile. These can be swapped to your next steed. Also, a decent set of tires may smooth out the ride and add speed. These are consumables, and if not worn out, can be swapped to the next bike you buy, too. Continental gp 4000 s are often suggested... As long as your Denali is in good working condition, no NEED to change (a 'nicer' bike may get you out trainkng more, tho' A set of clip-on aero bars can also help with position and comfort??? for a long ride. Again, can be swapped to the upgrade bike if purchased.I hope this helps ............... using a tablet, and cannot format paragraphs.... grrrr

Edited by triosaurus 2014-03-23 4:31 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cheap Denali Bike + 1st Half Ironman = ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Road Bike or 1st Tri-Bike

Started by fireplug30
Views: 1743 Posts: 10

2011-07-26 12:10 AM dfquigley

700c gmc denali road bike

Started by kruse000
Views: 13777 Posts: 10

2009-09-10 4:43 AM kproudfoot

How I turned my cheap road bike into a Tri bike

Started by Plissken74
Views: 1861 Posts: 10

2008-04-23 7:28 PM TexOma

Tri Bike (Felt S32) as 1st Bike?

Started by 1st Timer in NY
Views: 1398 Posts: 10

2006-11-30 7:16 PM smokeater1833

cheap road bikes - some questions

Started by madeye
Views: 1123 Posts: 9

2005-02-08 11:21 AM madeye
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 19, 2004
author : adumey
I am not tough. I cried during the Lion King stampede, during Armageddon when Liv Tyler collapsed on the TV as her dad wished her farewell and, most embarrassingly, E.T.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.