General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Semi weekly freakout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-24 11:10 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: Semi weekly freakout
Ok, I generally am a calm and collected individual, but I tend to have what I would describe as INTERNAL freakouts. Nobody around me probably knows I'm having them other than I might seem slightly distracted. Worst case scenario I'm irritable.

So, today's freakout is a combination of what I call my "future volume freakout" and also a new freakout that I have not yet named.

Future volume is just what it sounds like, I look at my training schedule and in three months it says that I'll be tri-training for 23 hours a day for 6 days a week and I'll increase that by 10% the next week and again by 10% the following week. Followed by a 40% decrease and that rest week still equals the same volume that I hit in all of 2012 and 2013 combined.

the new freakout is: Where do I go after race day? usually it's not a big deal, I'll rest some and then do whatever I feel like doing for a few weeks and the stars align and I find something else that looks interesting to work towards.

Here's the dilemma, though: If I've already built up to a 70.3, and I ever want to do an 140.6, wouldn't it make sense to continue from that point? I'm just not sure I can find the time or a race that fits in nicely. Or the sanity to persevere. Or maybe I need to HTFU, etc.

So, I've shared deep secrets with you, exposed my weakness. Anybody else have freakouts, or am I alone?

2014-03-24 11:31 AM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Subject: RE: Semi weekly freakout
Originally posted by Danno77

Ok, I generally am a calm and collected individual, but I tend to have what I would describe as INTERNAL freakouts. Nobody around me probably knows I'm having them other than I might seem slightly distracted. Worst case scenario I'm irritable.

So, today's freakout is a combination of what I call my "future volume freakout" and also a new freakout that I have not yet named.

Future volume is just what it sounds like, I look at my training schedule and in three months it says that I'll be tri-training for 23 hours a day for 6 days a week and I'll increase that by 10% the next week and again by 10% the following week. Followed by a 40% decrease and that rest week still equals the same volume that I hit in all of 2012 and 2013 combined.

the new freakout is: Where do I go after race day? usually it's not a big deal, I'll rest some and then do whatever I feel like doing for a few weeks and the stars align and I find something else that looks interesting to work towards.

Here's the dilemma, though: If I've already built up to a 70.3, and I ever want to do an 140.6, wouldn't it make sense to continue from that point? I'm just not sure I can find the time or a race that fits in nicely. Or the sanity to persevere. Or maybe I need to HTFU, etc.

So, I've shared deep secrets with you, exposed my weakness. Anybody else have freakouts, or am I alone?

23 hours a day for 6 days a week and I'll increase that by 10% the next week and again by 10% the following week...this made me giggle!

honestly I look at it one workout at a time - sometimes the big picture makes us freak out - so break it down...I wouldn't say I freak out, but I always have a moment of ambivalence when I look at my training plan for the upcoming week and its like how am I going to fit in x,y and z and still get sleep...lol!
2014-03-24 12:23 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I'm slowly learning that I still manage to fit the workouts in WITHOUT having to give up important things in life. That's important because there was a time in my life where it was hard to fit ANY exercise in because I was "too busy". Somehow, the workouts get longer and they still fit. Amazing how that works!

I guess that there will eventually be a point where it's impacting my ability to be a good employee, spouse, father, etc. and when that point comes I'll do something about it. I do have a super understanding family, though, so if things have to be tight for a couple of months, I could do that.

2014-03-24 12:30 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Yep.

Same ones, too.  I just had a freak out this weekend after having bagged one day's workouts that it was going to derail my 2014 season.    Ha!  Talk about a little silly.  Just gotta step back and breathe...

Although the 140.6 time commitment freak out has kept me from seriously considering one this season.  It's not that any of can't make time to train, to me it's more about being able to be OK with letting certain other things be sub-optimal in return.  This year would be, for me, a bad year to let the other things slide to be able up my volume.

For me, the plan for the season has to fit with what's up in my life in other areas (as I'm sadly not, nor ever will be, a professional triathlete!).

GL and enjoy the ride, whichever way you go.

Matt

2014-03-24 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Danno77 I'm slowly learning that I still manage to fit the workouts in WITHOUT having to give up important things in life. That's important because there was a time in my life where it was hard to fit ANY exercise in because I was "too busy". Somehow, the workouts get longer and they still fit. Amazing how that works! I guess that there will eventually be a point where it's impacting my ability to be a good employee, spouse, father, etc. and when that point comes I'll do something about it. I do have a super understanding family, though, so if things have to be tight for a couple of months, I could do that.

Funny - I found the same thing during the season last year.  But, when we looked back on it (the Better Half was training a lot, too), we actually did let a few things slide.  It was fine then, and we had a great season, but we're looking at this summer and want to strike a different (note that I didn't say better) balance.

I think there is a LOT of room in most people's schedules that they don't know is there, but there is a point where that is no longer true.  For ME, it's been when I get over 10-12 hours a week on average across a long period.  Seems to be the max I can wrench in without other things sliding…  I'm sure it varies for everyone, of course.

Matt

2014-03-24 12:49 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I do not freakout about specific workouts anymore as long as I am able to get the key workouts in per week.  I will look ahead and determine what is key and focus on getting that in.  Might involve some rescheduling and missing a few "recovery" or "easy" sessions.  I read somewhere someone equating their overall training to a bucket of water and each session is just a drop in that bucket.  More important to what you put in long term then any single session.

2014-03-24 12:57 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by popsracer

I do not freakout about specific workouts anymore as long as I am able to get the key workouts in per week.  I will look ahead and determine what is key and focus on getting that in.  Might involve some rescheduling and missing a few "recovery" or "easy" sessions.  I read somewhere someone equating their overall training to a bucket of water and each session is just a drop in that bucket.  More important to what you put in long term then any single session.

Yeah, the individual workouts are not the thing that bothers me. It's when I look at a future schedule and see that i'll spend 18hours that week training. Or when I look at the schedule and the taper week before a race is 10 hours of training and I think to myself, WHAT? 10 hours? won't I be dead from that much working out, how will I race!!!!!
2014-03-24 1:59 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
The time to freak out is when you pick your training plan. If it is a well subscribed to training plan once you have committed to it there is no need to freak out anymore. What you will be doing 10 weeks from now may not make sense given what you are doing this week but many have come before you and many have succeeded by only doing what the plan says.

Regarding future plan freakout. Depends on your goals. If you got an IM itch then a good time to scratch it is after a 70.3. You conceivably will be in much better shape than you have been in the paste 2 years given your increase in volume. Any race you plan on doing will result in significant gains. Just don't think the only way to build on a 70.3 is to do an IM. You can easily concentrate on a shorter distance, work on your speed, and realize significant fulfillment doing that.
2014-03-24 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

Originally posted by popsracer

Yeah, the individual workouts are not the thing that bothers me. It's when I look at a future schedule and see that i'll spend 18hours that week training. Or when I look at the schedule and the taper week before a race is 10 hours of training and I think to myself, WHAT? 10 hours? won't I be dead from that much working out, how will I race!!!!!

Ah! This used to happen to me. Once you do heavy training like this, your perspective changes a bit as you discover you can realistically do this. For now, quit looking ahead (unless you are planning a vacation or a mid training race), only post up the current week's training where you can see it, and focus on that. And by the time you get to your 10 hour taper week, you will have so much free time, you won't know what to do with yourself.

Seriously, it's all in perspective. I distinctly remember freaking out to a coworker in 2009 about how I was unsure I could finish my first upcoming 10k. 5 years later, that distance is commonly a mid week easy run for me. The further you get into endurance stuff, the more your perspective on distance/training times gets skewed, the more things you thought were crazy before are now attainable and realistic. Enjoy it! And no more worrying, you'll be fine.
2014-03-24 2:19 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by MechEChick
And no more worrying, you'll be fine.

Now I'm a little worried that I worry too much.
2014-03-24 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Man do I get what you are saying.  The freakouts are just built into those of us that are Type A control freaks.  And yes, I'm Type A control freak.

My latest reoccurring freak out has been happening about every other night, just before I fall asleep.  I'm carrying more weight and have nto trained near as much as last year so now I lay in bed thinking, "God I hope I get through the next 5K".  Crap like that.

My wife tells me to chill out.  My kids tell me to chill out.  I tell me to chill out. 

I should probably just chill out.

2014-03-24 3:07 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Man do I get what you are saying.  The freakouts are just built into those of us that are Type A control freaks.  And yes, I'm Type A control freak.

My latest reoccurring freak out has been happening about every other night, just before I fall asleep.  I'm carrying more weight and have nto trained near as much as last year so now I lay in bed thinking, "God I hope I get through the next 5K".  Crap like that.

My wife tells me to chill out.  My kids tell me to chill out.  I tell me to chill out. 

so, there's a post like every.singly.day like "3.24.2014 Monday Workout" or something like that... Maybe we should start a daily thread "3.24.2014 Monday Freakout"

"Yeah, so this morning I woke up and the neon green socks were in the dirty laundry and I have a mid distance run scheduled. Everybody knows the orange socks are the long run, the neon yellow ones are for the speed workouts, and the neon green ones are for my mid-distance runs. And to top it all off, my wife bought regular gatorade instead of G2. Pretty sure I'll DNF my next race because of this training catastrophe."
2014-03-24 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Berlin, Germany

so, there's a post like every.singly.day like "3.24.2014 Monday Workout" or something like that... Maybe we should start a daily thread "3.24.2014 Monday Freakout"

ABSOLUTELY! Great idea. Why hasn't that been done before?

My freak-out of the day: I missed the last three minutes of my 2:15 hrs long run !

I feel so ashamed. And I just KNOW that I will not be able to finish my HM ....
2014-03-24 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

so, there's a post like every.singly.day like "3.24.2014 Monday Workout" or something like that... Maybe we should start a daily thread "3.24.2014 Monday Freakout" "Yeah, so this morning I woke up and the neon green socks were in the dirty laundry and I have a mid distance run scheduled. Everybody knows the orange socks are the long run, the neon yellow ones are for the speed workouts, and the neon green ones are for my mid-distance runs. And to top it all off, my wife bought regular gatorade instead of G2. Pretty sure I'll DNF my next race because of this training catastrophe."

Yeh, awesome!!!  

I'm on board with the daily freak out..... 

Today: Got my Nooner in.....  I could only wish for that type of nooner, but it was my 5 mile run.  Started later then normal and totally fogot to pack a lunch.  I have thus proceeded to have a Snickers bar and a fun size bag of Cheetoes.  All that work for the last 3 years is wasted!!

2014-04-02 2:11 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Veteran
Berlin, Germany
Originally posted by BryanDuckworth

3 Weeks until my first sprint and I miss a workout. Emergencies at work, then car trouble, my sweet kid is having his moment, and I miss a workout.I keep telling myself, "its not the day you miss, but the months you didn't". Just feel like I lost a week of training

Now: that's a REAL FREAKOUT ... great post!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Semi weekly freakout Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sprint tomorrow - goggle freakout

Started by melanfi
Views: 920 Posts: 6

2011-07-09 1:18 PM melanfi

Longest weekly run / total weekly mileage percentage

Started by KenD
Views: 1636 Posts: 8

2008-08-15 12:18 PM Scout7

Biking Dirty - semi-off topic

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1691 Posts: 11

2006-09-29 9:53 PM betyoursilver

the olbligitory semi daily threshold thread...

Started by idahodan
Views: 564 Posts: 5

2006-07-19 8:32 AM JohnnyKay

Open Water Swim Freakout's...

Started by Konabound
Views: 1375 Posts: 25

2006-03-02 11:46 PM crab68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 1
Trying to figure out how to fit all of your weekly training sessions in? This guide will show the best ways to schedule your two-a-day workouts.

date : September 11, 2004
author : westfried
comments : 0
Fact is, it's tough. Best bet is to do the training that you can, and let the chips fall where they may.