General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and becoming addicted Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-07 6:26 PM

New user

Subject: New and becoming addicted
Hi, I have been lurking. Started getting back into shape a little over a year ago after two kids (don't ask me how old they are...I am a little ashamed of how long it took me to get fit.)
I entered a 5k last February for the "heck of it," was athletic before kids but NEVER a runner. I loved it! Placed third in my age..didn't know until three days later because I left afterward. After that 5k I ran a race once a month, April I did a small biathlon, and then decided to enter a sprint Triathlon in July (tri the pee dee triathlon)

Loved the triathlon...it didn't kill me, made me stronger :-) Didn't do as well as I wanted but am determined to progress. Last Sat. did the Hilton Head Beach Bum Race (500m swim, 6 mile bike, 5K run all on the beach) small but VERY Beautiful. Have entered one on Sept. 30th, Hartsville sprint triathlon.

Need some advice though...hard to fit in training, working and classes (that I am taking on the side)....I know its about balance, and I am determined. Would like any hints anyone has.
Really admire those who excel...right now for me a victory is finishing......hopefully with better times.

2006-08-07 10:00 PM
in reply to: #504811

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: New and becoming addicted
Balance is the key! I have been determined not to cut into family life (or at least only minimally). I get up at just after 430am to hit the gym, then get home, get my son up and off and head to work. Then as when I loaded up for an upcoming race - would head out again at 8 pm just after son went to bed (or at least close enough so the my husband could just tuck him in). I also work and have other commitments. I know some workout during lunch but for me, just won't work because it would take too much time. Sundays I'd get in longer times in the afternoon when my son slept. But then again, I'm doing sprints and don't really need to build the endurance those doing longer events need (yet)!
Don't overload --- just a word of warning since I think I've overdone it with running and am hurtin' now (with a race this weekend). But hey, I'm a bit older myself, and I don't think I would have had the time or inclination to even do a tri let alone train for it when I was younger!
2006-08-07 10:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Sounds like you are having fun. Thats the most important thing. I plan my work outs ahead of time. I work out early, early am, Or sometimes late afternoon. early on the week-ends. I try to organize my training into the schedule of the day. Sometimes it is hard but If you want to continue doing the training you can work it out. I do have rest days. Good Luck with your training.
2006-08-11 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa

Congrats on your progress so far...sounds like you're really coming along.  The scheduling is my problem too....and probably most people on BT would agree.  Work, kids, marriage....you name it.  Training takes a lot of time.  Here are some things I do....

* Mornings....everyone is asleep so get a workout in.  I'm not robbing any time from my family this way.  But that alarm goes off early!  If I can get out the door by 5:00 or 5:15, a good workout can be had.

* Lunches...same thing.  Doesn't take time from the family....but does require some planning.

* Kids' practices....oftentimes after dropping a kid off for practice there is the "waiting game"....for them to be done.  Taking my shoes along, allows me to sneak a run in.

* Commuting...Occassionaly I run or bike to/from the office.  Or from church on Wed night.  I have to get home anyway...it just takes a little longer, thus requires a little more planning.

It is challenging, but worth it :-)

2006-08-11 9:47 PM
in reply to: #508818

User image

Veteran
Are there triathlons in Mo? My husband was stationed at Ft. Leoardwood 2 years ago. I liked it there. I liked the rolling hills and the humming birds. I haven't seen any humming birds here. I am here in Virginia. Karen
2006-08-11 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Where is the Hilton Head Beach Bum Sprint at? That seems like a great distance.

2006-08-13 2:15 PM
in reply to: #509447

New user

It is on Hilton Head Island and I only found it through a fluke. I guess they do it once in June, July and August. It is totally on the beach (sometimes hard to concentrate on what you are doing because it is pretty---Also it is really laid back....not very competitive (I think the awards were coconut monkeys)....but a great training event.
2006-08-13 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
I'm an early bird. Usually up by 4am during work week. I like to work out in the morning so i doesnt interfere with family time.
2006-08-14 8:51 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
Early morning is the only way I can balance family, work, and training. I'm not a night owl. However, I got an indoor trainer for my bike. It works well when I'm stressed out or the weather isn't that great. I ride that after my kids go to bed.

Steve
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and becoming addicted Rss Feed