General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Murphy's Law week of training: At what point do you just throw in the towel? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-27 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: Murphy's Law week of training: At what point do you just throw in the towel?
I have had a week where it seems that everything that could go wrong, did go wrong as far as training.

Monday morning swim: Even though I went to bed early-ish Sunday, tossed and turned all night and was still exhausted when my early alarm went off. Skipped the swim to go back to sleep for two hours (needed the sleep, obviously).

Wednesday morning swim: Got up early, feeling great. Waited outside the pool for 35 minutes. Lifeguard never showed up. Eventually I had to leave and get ready for work.

Thursday morning roller ride: Went to bed early-ish Wednesday night. Woke up a few hours later with a painful scratchy throat and congestion so bad I couldn't lay on my back. Got up, made a cup of tea, and watched TV for a while. Turned off my early alarm to skip the ride before I finally back went to sleep at about 2 a.m. Still feel scratchy and congested later this morning.

Thursday evening run: It's supposed to snow. AGAIN.

At what point to you just give up and say "Forget it, I'll take a few days off and start over when things are going more smoothly."? I don't want to make myself sicker, of course, but geez Louise, can I get ONE workout in as planned this week? (I'm exaggerating a tiny bit... I did manage three easy workouts total Tuesday and Wednesday.) I'm going out of town this weekend, too, so no chance of making anything up then.

Ugh! Just venting.

2014-03-27 9:59 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: RE: Murphy's Law week of training: At what point do you just throw in the towel?
Fine to vent. I have been down with flu this week and have a 15km run on Sunday.

I was supposed to be getting some last miles under my belt and instead have been praying and hoping for my chest to clear or my sinuses to unblock or some good sign of progress.

I think it is well worth just scratching the week. Looking at your plan and call this a rest week and then readjust to move around any other recovery weeks you had in your plan.

Also: This has got to be the last of the snow? Right?
2014-03-27 10:15 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: Murphy's Law week of training: At what point do you just throw in the towel?
Originally posted by badmo77a

I think it is well worth just scratching the week. Looking at your plan and call this a rest week and then readjust to move around any other recovery weeks you had in your plan.

+1. Take a break and get back to 100%. You won't gain anything by training, and you won't lose anything by resting a week.
2014-03-27 10:52 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by tedjohn
Originally posted by badmo77a I think it is well worth just scratching the week. Looking at your plan and call this a rest week and then readjust to move around any other recovery weeks you had in your plan.
+1. Take a break and get back to 100%. You won't gain anything by training, and you won't lose anything by resting a week.

Option B:  work through all the pain and sickness and end up in worse shape next week.  (Sarcasm intended)

Absolutely take the break.  Your body is telling you that is what it wants.  You just need your brain to listen to it. 

Come back a strong person on Monday (or maybe Sunday if the weather is nice).

2014-03-27 11:33 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Same thing for me this week. Got home from work on Tuesday went straight to bed and didn't wake up till 10:00pm, went back to bed at 10:30pm, slept all night and still couldn't get out of bed the next day. Just took the day off, skipped all the training and recouped. Figured it was much better to just get whatever was wrong out of my system than to beat myself up training when not 100% and risk ruining next week as well.

Rest up, get back to the training when you are back to 100%, don't beat yourself up physically or mentally. And no, you will not lose fitness in a week off. 

2014-03-27 11:46 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I'd never overwork myself when I was sick... but it is very frustrating when you DO feel fine and the LIFEGUARD CHOOSES THAT DAY TO SLEEP IN!

grrrrrrrrrrr!

2014-03-27 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Not being able to swim would have bugged me. What type of facility is it? How can they deny your workout because a lifeguard doesn't show up? Is membership there free? If you're not paying anything I can understand, but a paid facility, that would bother me a little.
2014-03-27 3:00 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
It's a Y, and I've complained on here before about it. I understand that getting up to be at work for 6 isn't fun, but come on, it is a JOB, you are paid to do it....

My membership is good for all the Ys in my area and yesterday morning inspired me to look up the pool schedules of every single one to see who had masters groups (although the one I go to is a VERY convenient location). Then I called one that is only two suburbs away from my office and was told that there's not really a masters group, just a group of regulars and really the best way to improve is to spend more time in the water. Well, that's what I tried to do yesterday!!! I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
2014-03-27 8:13 PM

Honestly, never.

Bag a workout, rarely. Bag a day, again, rarely. Bag a week, never.

2014-03-28 12:36 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Went for a run today at lunch after being down for 6 days with flu recovery. Rest was exactly the right choice.

Felt really good to run today with no nasty side affects. Glad I took the time to get well.
2014-03-28 12:41 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown I'd never overwork myself when I was sick... but it is very frustrating when you DO feel fine and the LIFEGUARD CHOOSES THAT DAY TO SLEEP IN! grrrrrrrrrrr!

This would really me off! If you've already spoken to a manager at the Y and this continues to happen, see if someone higher up in the Y can help. That's ridiculous.

2014-03-28 1:04 PM

User image

, Nebraska
As a master of pushing myself too hard, it is fine to scratch the week and recover from you cold. Then start anew next week. It is something I am learning to do this go around.

As for the swimming issue, that isn't right. The Y needs to get their act together. If it is a mistake once okay, but more than once. Fire the person and get a new one. If you can't get to work on time, then that is it.

Brittney
2014-03-28 1:08 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by trishie

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown I'd never overwork myself when I was sick... but it is very frustrating when you DO feel fine and the LIFEGUARD CHOOSES THAT DAY TO SLEEP IN! grrrrrrrrrrr!

This would really me off! If you've already spoken to a manager at the Y and this continues to happen, see if someone higher up in the Y can help. That's ridiculous.

x2 I would have asked if the manager would lifeguard so they would have the pool open per the posted schedule (they should have their licence?) - or start the conversation to refund that month's payment. Clearly you're not getting what you are paying for.

Things not going according to posted schedules (by WIDE margins, 5 minutes here and there no biggie) drives me absolutely batty. Especially when I'm paying for it.

2014-03-28 2:54 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by trishie

x2 I would have asked if the manager would lifeguard so they would have the pool open per the posted schedule (they should have their licence?) - or start the conversation to refund that month's payment. Clearly you're not getting what you are paying for.

Things not going according to posted schedules (by WIDE margins, 5 minutes here and there no biggie) drives me absolutely batty. Especially when I'm paying for it.

x3 I've worked as an assistant aquatics director at a YMCA. Everyone sleeps through their alarm sometimes, and you can't allow people to swim without a guard on duty, but you bet your butt that we never just shrugged and kept the pool closed. Our building staff knew that if the guard hadn't shown up 15 minutes before opening, that they needed to call me or the director and we would come cover and the guard would be held accountable for their actions.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Murphy's Law week of training: At what point do you just throw in the towel? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Murphy's Law

Started by stuart_little_9
Views: 579 Posts: 3

2012-04-15 11:15 PM CyborgQueen

Road bikes can fishtail and Murphy's Law

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 1368 Posts: 10

2008-06-27 2:57 PM papson14

Murphy's Law of Flat Tires

Started by ranger5oh
Views: 1304 Posts: 16

2007-09-08 8:54 PM Hazelmn

A craptacular afternoon where I feel like throwing in the towel

Started by cmbcwb3
Views: 1018 Posts: 15

2007-03-13 8:58 AM CoachH

Murphy's Law...

Started by cadreamer
Views: 704 Posts: 10

2005-07-02 8:20 PM joannh13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Is there any point in time of a training plan where a "big week" would be most optimal? This article discusses sports rotation and other high volume week options to improve.

date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : February 22, 2012
How to plan a week of triathlon training so that you don't end up inconsistent, burnt-out or sick.
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.
date : July 19, 2009
This training plan has only 2 workouts per sport per week and peaks at 7.5 hours per week of training. Use this plan if you are time constrained or if you want to focus more on your family.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"