General Discussion Triathlon Talk » race specific questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-07 10:06 PM

Veteran
Subject: race specific questions
I am doing my first IM this month. as such i have some questions that i hope some one can help me with.

1) how exactly does a special needs bag work? when/how often do i have access to it? should i have spare tubes in the bag or with me on the bike?

2)how often are there bathrooms, is it ok to urinate on the side of the course?

I'm sure there are more questions, but this is all for now.

Thanks for your help.

Travis

2006-08-08 12:00 AM
in reply to: #504974

Champion
Subject: RE: race specific questions

At Ironman Lake Placid, the special needs bags are at the halfway points of both the run and the bike.  In my bike bag I put a spare tube and a CO2 cartridge, and I was also carrying 2 tubes and 3 cartridges with me.  I never needed any of them, but it was for insurance purposes.  I also put a sandwich and a re-supply of gels and energy bars and filled my jersey pockets with them.

In my run bag I put a few more gels and things, but I never picked up the bag, since I was able to get by with what was supplied at the aid stations.

They pretty much had a porta-potty at each aid station on the bike (4 or 5 places around the 56 mile loop) and several on the run too.  There are lots of places to urinate in the woods at IMLP, and even though I believe they can penalize you for doing so, I've never seen or heard of anyone getting a penalty for it.  Discretion is the key.  If you're out of sight, you're probably safe.  They really frown on you blatantly watering someone's lawn or shrubbery!

2006-08-08 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

Hey Travis,

I take it you're doing Ironman Korea?  Haven't done that race, although I have been to Korea a couple times :-)  I'll assume that's the case, so pardon me if you're talking about another race.

Anyway, found some info under the "Rules" link from the Ironman Korea race website that might help you.  http://www.ironmankorea.net/eng/event/rule.jsp

This is what they say about your bike special needs bag:

Bags will be provided for the Special Foods Station located near mid-point on bike course. Special Foods Station is for nutritional purposes ONLY, and ONLY food items will be allowed in the bag. All unclaimed bags will be DISCARDED after station is closed. Athletes will be required to slow or stop in order to retrieve special needs bags.

Sounds like they only want you to put food in there, although here in the US you can put pretty much whatever you want in there...whatever you think you might need about half way through the bike that you don't want to carry with you.  Notice though, you won't get the bag back after the race, so don't put anything in there you want back.

Pretty much the same verbage about your run special needs:

Bags will be provided for the Special Foods Station located near mid-point on run course. Special Foods Station is for nutritional purposes ONLY. All unclaimed bags will be discarded after Special Foods Station is closed.

It would probably be a good idea to read through the rest of the rules, too.  Might help you answer some more questions and avoid some confusion come race day.

They will probably provide portable toilets for you at every aid station.  I see the locations of the aid stations are indicated on the bike and run course maps:

http://www.ironmankorea.net/eng/event/index.jsp

Around here, technically public urination is illegal.  BUT, the reality of races like this is that sometimes it might be necessary.  What they tend to say at Ironmans here is basically, "if you must go, please do so discretely."  In other words, please don't pee in someone's front yard while their kids are outside playing.  You would know better than I if the "code of conduct" for such things is different in Korea.

Good luck!

-Steve

2006-08-08 11:18 PM

Veteran
thanks for your thoughts. yes i will be doing Ironman Korea, and in about 2.5 weeks!!!! I was expecting some sort of information packet in the mail before going to the race site, but nothing. It has left me a little nervous. I have spent a lot of time on the website, but still feel a little nervous do to the fact that this is my first Ironman, and in another country in which i cannot communicate.

Thanks, Travis
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » race specific questions Rss Feed