Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Inconvenient "convenience" fees Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-04-03 12:21 PM

Veteran
Subject: Inconvenient "convenience" fees
OK, I know this isn't really a big deal, but it does really irritate me.

I strenuously object to paying extra fees to be able to register for events online. Simple economics tells me that paying $.50 for a stamp, envelope and paper is better than paying $5.00 or more for online registration. Particularly when I am attempting to register months in advance.I have never YET decided not to register based on this decidedly inconvenient charge, but I am right now deciding whether an event is or is not worth the extra cost. And I'm leaning away from participation.

It seems to me that the "convenience" of online registration is not a convenience to me, but rather to the event organizers. I do appreciate their efforts, but I should not be forced to pay extra for their convenience.

So, to race organizers: how do you justify the extra charge to ME, so that YOU do not have paperwork to handle?

2014-04-03 12:25 PM
in reply to: scott319

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Inconvenient "convenience" fees

How much $ do you think they have to spend to have an online site host their registration for them?

2014-04-03 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

When was the last time you tried to buy concert tickets?  In the good old days, you could go to a tTcketmaster stand and buy tickets for some far-away concert.  Then you could buy them over the phone.  I can see paying a fee for Ticketmaster to this service.  Nowdays, even if you go to the venue box office, you still pay a Ticketmaster fee.  

2014-04-03 12:59 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by scott319 OK, I know this isn't really a big deal, but it does really irritate me. I strenuously object to paying extra fees to be able to register for events online. Simple economics tells me that paying $.50 for a stamp, envelope and paper is better than paying $5.00 or more for online registration. Particularly when I am attempting to register months in advance.I have never YET decided not to register based on this decidedly inconvenient charge, but I am right now deciding whether an event is or is not worth the extra cost. And I'm leaning away from participation. It seems to me that the "convenience" of online registration is not a convenience to me, but rather to the event organizers. I do appreciate their efforts, but I should not be forced to pay extra for their convenience. So, to race organizers: how do you justify the extra charge to ME, so that YOU do not have paperwork to handle?n

Why in the world would they have to justify passing the cost of on-line registration on to you?  You don't have to do the race.....you are owed nothing.

2014-04-03 1:04 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Veteran
That's true - I am owed nothing. But don't tell me the price is X when the price is X + $5. Hidden fees are hidden fees, and I think it's fair to say that most of us get PO'd when airlines (or ticketmaster, as presented by another poster) do this. So why is it OK here?

And, I might add that many people try to avoid using credit cards when possible. But online, credit cards are the only game in town. So, while I am not one of those who avoid plastic, the inconvenience is magnified for those who do avoid credit cards.

I guess it boils down to this, for me: If the price is going to be $X + 5, then TELL ME the price is $X + 5. Don't try to make it look different. I don't think that is an unreasonable request.
2014-04-03 1:15 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by scott319 That's true - I am owed nothing. But don't tell me the price is X when the price is X + $5. Hidden fees are hidden fees, and I think it's fair to say that most of us get PO'd when airlines (or ticketmaster, as presented by another poster) do this. So why is it OK here? And, I might add that many people try to avoid using credit cards when possible. But online, credit cards are the only game in town. So, while I am not one of those who avoid plastic, the inconvenience is magnified for those who do avoid credit cards. I guess it boils down to this, for me: If the price is going to be $X + 5, then TELL ME the price is $X + 5. Don't try to make it look different. I don't think that is an unreasonable request.

You mean you don't already know you are going to pay a fee for on-line registration?  I suppose if this is your first race season you may not know....but if you'[ve done a few races then you know it's standard.  Also, I'm REALLY happy to sit down at my computer, pull up every race we are doing in a season, go through and pay the fees and be done with it for the year.  Yeah, I'm happy to pay the fees and use plastic for it to be that convenient.

I guess I just don't get the whole attitude of what someone owes you (me).  You wanna race, you put your money down.  Registration fees are part of the game.

2014-04-03 1:15 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Hmm.  They can DO the extra paper work and charge you more for their time by increasing the race fee $5....   OR, they can add $5 as a convenience charge which goes to the company that does the paperwork for them (and probably more efficiently). 

I don't know.  Seems like the same amount is paid either way to me.

I have an engineering company and we can do surveying as well.  I can give you a proposal to do the engineering for 50k, and the survey for 20k and keep it all in house.  OR, charge 50k to do the engineering and sub out the survey work to someone else for 20k.  No matter what, you are paying 70k.  In case 1, I get all the fee.  In case 2, I only get 50k and have to pay 20k to someone to do the work for me...  So you pay for me to do less work - but pay the surveyor to do THEIR work.

2014-04-03 1:19 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by scott319 That's true - I am owed nothing. But don't tell me the price is X when the price is X + $5. Hidden fees are hidden fees, and I think it's fair to say that most of us get PO'd when airlines (or ticketmaster, as presented by another poster) do this. So why is it OK here? And, I might add that many people try to avoid using credit cards when possible. But online, credit cards are the only game in town. So, while I am not one of those who avoid plastic, the inconvenience is magnified for those who do avoid credit cards. I guess it boils down to this, for me: If the price is going to be $X + 5, then TELL ME the price is $X + 5. Don't try to make it look different. I don't think that is an unreasonable request.

Well, it may come later than you want, but before you hit "pay now" or "submit", you know the final cost  It's not like it comes as a surprise when the CC bill comes.  You can always close the browser window.  I guess before you spend the few minutes putting in all the information, it would be convenient to know what the final price will be.  Seems like a lot of things are like that though.  You put things in your cart and then they calculate the final shipping costs at the very end.  You don't know the ACTAUL out of pocket cost until that's done just before you pay.  I suppose some have the shipping calculator to estimate or if you are getting free shipping.  Always have the chance to back out though.

2014-04-03 1:29 PM

User image

Master
MidWest

Here in town we have 2 competing running groups.  They both put on awesome races.  One uses online registration only and the other uses both.  For the first group, they even charge the online fee when you show up to register at the event as they have the computers there and running.  The other group is more of a hometown/grown group.  Unfortunately the first group makes people feel like they have to choose alliances.  Lots of hurt feelings here in our little town.     

I don't do as many of the first group races because I don't want to pay the extra fees but I will  volunteer my time to help with races.  I refuse to choose sides because we all have the goal---be healthy and encouraging.

2014-04-03 3:36 PM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
funny my running club has web site with newsletters, race photos, and of course you can pay for the club dues online. Also you can buy the shirts and stuff all online. The club does not pay much at all for all of this. The company that handles the site and money holds it for 30 days and money they make off that helps pay for a lot of the site. I do think we also have $1 per transaction fee. Still way less than $5 for a race fee.
2014-04-03 3:44 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
the one that bothered me is if you wanted to pay your car loan to a cc it would be $20 fee.

With my atm card to a non bank atm it is the machine's fee plus the banks fees. needless to say I rarely have cash.

2014-04-03 3:45 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro

Originally posted by chirunner134 funny my running club has web site with newsletters, race photos, and of course you can pay for the club dues online. Also you can buy the shirts and stuff all online. The club does not pay much at all for all of this. The company that handles the site and money holds it for 30 days and money they make off that helps pay for a lot of the site. I do think we also have $1 per transaction fee. Still way less than $5 for a race fee.

I bet the club paid a start-up fee and has a low-cost ongoing contract with your web host. 

Race fee = one time management. Might be a lower cost to set up, or completely funded by registration fees.

2014-04-04 9:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Oakville

I have always hated hidden fees and so I agree with the OP on this one.  Tell me at the front end that the price is $X (which includes all processing fees, surcharges, etc).

Now the amount for a race processing fee is usually nominal, so its more of the principle of it but try counting up the hidden fees for a new car. 

The last time I was negotiating the purchase price of a new car, they tacked on a $300 charge for a special registry system that the manufacturer maintained which they claimed would be helpful if the car was stolen (?).  I told them that I wasn't interested in the program as the government already maintains this database and either way I have insurance.  The salesperson told me it was not optional.  I ended up walking away.

Edited by Scott71 2014-04-04 9:04 AM
2014-04-21 11:27 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lenexa, KS
When I did the Bass Pro Marathon in Springfield, MO last year, they actually charged the extra fee for paper registration. No add-on for online registration. I really liked that program, and there reason was to cut down on paper.
2014-04-21 1:16 PM
in reply to: O2BFast

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but as a RD for a small 5K race, I can tell you that online registration charges the race. There is a 3% fee - which we as the race can pay - or we can pass on that added cost to you. Yes, it is convenient to both of us - you can click away at your computer when searching for races to do, and when you do, I get all of the information you have provided already electronically entered. We still offer paper registration, but getting those to interested people can be a challenge. Approximately 2/3 of our registrations are online, with about 25% being race day paper registrations.

I don't do a lot of races, but I don't think I've seen anything over 3% for a fee for online registering. I've also never had anyone complain to me about an online fee. We do race the price two weeks prior to the race, but that's to avoid having everyone wait and see what the weather is like on race day.

2014-04-21 2:01 PM
in reply to: crimefighter2

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I happen to agree with the OP'er that hidden fees are a pain in the neck.  I guess I've done enough tri's to know that registration fees are to be expected and I don't complain about them. it's hard for me to justify being angry about that when I'm content with paying everything else that goes into this not-so-cheap lifestyle.

On a side note, to those out there that organize races, please keep doing them.  I know it's a thankless job and the majority of the triathlons I get to participate in barely break even, but please don't stop putting them together.

2014-04-21 4:40 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think the main issue is that the fee is tacked on at the end. I'm with the OP in that I think this is just a nuisance. I like when people I do business with are upfront with the costs. When I'm comparing which races to do there is no simple way for me to see if an how much of an extra cost will be added in at the end.
2014-04-21 8:23 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I totally agree with you- I hate these things. If it's $1 or $2, I don't really care, but it seems like the fees for races and other things are in the $5+ range. I guess that's not much but when I'm registering for a $15 5k that bumps it from pretty cheap to not so cheap.
I REALLY hate it when I try to buy tickets for the symphony or a baseball game online. If I'm buying cheap tickets (in the $10-$15 range) the fees are at least $5. And there are fees per ticket as well as per transaction. I can almost see charging a fee for maintaining a website or something, but how is it possibly cheaper for the Pirates to pay someone to man a ticket kiosk (where there are no fees) than for me to buy and print a ticket at home?
2014-04-22 6:11 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by scott319 OK, I know this isn't really a big deal, but it does really irritate me. I strenuously object to paying extra fees to be able to register for events online. Simple economics tells me that paying $.50 for a stamp, envelope and paper is better than paying $5.00 or more for online registration. Particularly when I am attempting to register months in advance.I have never YET decided not to register based on this decidedly inconvenient charge, but I am right now deciding whether an event is or is not worth the extra cost. And I'm leaning away from participation. It seems to me that the "convenience" of online registration is not a convenience to me, but rather to the event organizers. I do appreciate their efforts, but I should not be forced to pay extra for their convenience. So, to race organizers: how do you justify the extra charge to ME, so that YOU do not have paperwork to handle?

It's very simple:  The market will bear it.  There's no need for justification if consumers are willing to pay it.

2014-04-23 8:37 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by scott319... So, to race organizers: how do you justify the extra charge to ME, so that YOU do not have paperwork to handle?

It's very simple:  The market will bear it.  There's no need for justification if consumers are willing to pay it.

OK, I have racing and race directing experience. First off, the statement "The market will bear it. There's no need for justification..." it's honestly offensive to me because it's indicating that race directors charge money, because they can.

In general, you would be surprised at how expensive putting on races can be. I organized a cycling event on July 4th and I was required to have 2 policeman on bikes. And I was required to pay them...OT + holiday rate. (This was a race we were putting on for a bike club and it was traditionally on the 4th, even if they tried to move it the cycling calendar is so full they might not be able to put it in the "prime" season.) The 2 policeman were the highest expense of the race. I believe in 2013 it was around $800 EACH for the day. The first year, I had actually asked whether there was any way to reduce this due to the fact that proceeds were being donated to a great charity. (I don't think anyone would argue that the Paralyzed Vets aren't a "great" charity). They actually explained that they were required to charge that amount. Both officers were kind enough to donate a little directly to the charity.

To the OP. I can go over a list of charges for you, but I believe that the event that the 4th of July - which was fairly bare bones - was probably around $6K. This event, in particular was a cycling event. So, charging them $30 each would mean I'd have to have around 200 participants just to break even. Those numbers don't always happen at some of the local cycling events. (And the $30 includes sale tax, that the state of WA is required to pay for participants-9.5% - and the $3 per rider insurance fee - I didn't include these costs in the expense estimate. So it's really 250 riders...)

So...blah, blah...here is what you may want to consider as a hypothetical, maybe you'll get an idea of why race directors don't "eat" the cost themselves.

If I was putting on a local 5K and was trying to figure out what to set registration...how would I go about doing that? You can only get a reasonable estimate of what the expenses are and how many runners you expect. However, what if you get last minute expenses that end up being another $1K or more? What if you expect 200 runners and only 100 register/pay? One small way to cut costs is to pass the online registration fee on to you, a simple way to lower expenses.

Also, a few reasons tp "rationalize" how the online processing fee is worth it for the race director? (1) It encourages pre-registration! Pre-reg numbers may help with food quantity, t-shirt quantity, size of transition area needed...and on and on. (2) As someone else mentioned, I also feel there is a convenience factor for the participant

I personally prefer to let participants know up front that they will be paying the fee. I understand that I will have to pay it, but I'd like to know so it's not a "surprise", but that is me.

As for Ticketmaster, that stumps me and frustrates me. But I'd be more than happy to hear an explanation on that..

Edited by lkct01234 2014-04-23 8:41 PM
2014-04-23 9:23 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lkct01234

Originally posted by scott319... So, to race organizers: how do you justify the extra charge to ME, so that YOU do not have paperwork to handle?

OK, I have racing and race directing experience. First off, the statement "The market will bear it. There's no need for justification..." it's honestly offensive to me because it's indicating that race directors charge money, because they can.

I don't know how you pulled that out of TMB's comment.  His comment doesn't say anything about race directors, and I certainly didn't take it that way.  All it said to me was that people pay the fees, so the fees continue. 

As for the cost of a race to participate......remember that there are some companies in it PURELY for profit.  They will most certainly charge whatever they can.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-23 9:25 PM

2014-04-24 7:03 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by lkct01234

OK, I have racing and race directing experience. First off, the statement "The market will bear it. There's no need for justification..." it's honestly offensive to me because it's indicating that race directors charge money, because they can...

Wow!  You read an awful lot into my statement!

I've worked as either a business owner or various levels of management for 25 years, and I can tell you with certainty that from a consumer's perspective the costs to produce a product or provide a service are completely irrelevant.  All that matters is what is it worth to the consumer.  In other words, what will the market bear?  At the end of the day, for a business model to be sustainable long term, pricing must be market driven, not cost driven.

This cuts both directions.  If a business owner (or race director) cannot figure out how to reduce their costs enough to result in some profit left over after selling their product at the price their customers are willing to pay, they won't be in business for long.  If consumers are willing to pay more than the business thinks they need to charge based on their costs, and the business doesn't charge it, then the business is foolish, because they're leaving money on the table (and IME in most cases in recent years, actually doesn't know their costs, and is actually losing money on every sale, but doesn't know it yet.)

ETA:  Another example of market driven pricing in this sport is monthly coaching fees.  It doesn't take much reading in these forums to see a lot of posts that people think coaching fees are too high.  It also doesn't take much math to estimate how much a coach can get paid for "billable hours" coaching and see that factoring in the costs of insurance, certifications, continuing education, mileage, software fees, etc plus the years of experience it takes to become good at it, that from the coach's perspective, $200+ per month is far from price gouging.  BUT, none of this matters, because the market won't bear it, so coaches need to figure out how to deliver value at the market price.

Edited by TriMyBest 2014-04-24 7:11 AM
2014-04-24 8:16 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
When possible I will mail the application in and save the fee. I am very opposed to these fees as it is much more a convenience for the organization, be it a race, dmv, or what have you. The business is able to reduce the need for paying an employee to perform the task of opening and reading every application/registration. For me there is not a difference from handwriting my name on a registration or typing it into a website. It takes me the same time to write a check or type in credit card number expiration date and security id number. If you want to raise the price by 3% to justify it on your end that is fine, but put that in the initial price. Don't tell me that it is a convenience for me to use the internet though.

I assume that if a race received 1,000 entries and they received 900 in the mail and 100 through a website it was more convenient to just click upload from the hosting site as compared to opening every piece of mail, inputting it into the computer, and attempting to ensure that the applicant has a valid USAT membership.

I have to agree with the OP on this one.
2014-04-24 12:26 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro

Originally posted by scott319 OK, I know this isn't really a big deal, but it does really irritate me. I strenuously object to paying extra fees to be able to register for events online. Simple economics tells me that paying $.50 for a stamp, envelope and paper is better than paying $5.00 or more for online registration. Particularly when I am attempting to register months in advance.I have never YET decided not to register based on this decidedly inconvenient charge, but I am right now deciding whether an event is or is not worth the extra cost. And I'm leaning away from participation. It seems to me that the "convenience" of online registration is not a convenience to me, but rather to the event organizers. I do appreciate their efforts, but I should not be forced to pay extra for their convenience. So, to race organizers: how do you justify the extra charge to ME, so that YOU do not have paperwork to handle?

Another first-world problems thread. Although I was also annoyed when I signed up for Philly Tri and there were $19 in fees tacked on by Competitor.com. However, as pointed out, it didn't stop me or anyone else from signing up.

2014-04-24 12:55 PM
in reply to: ajusf16

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ajusf16  Don't tell me that it is a convenience for me to use the internet though. I assume that if a race received 1,000 entries and they received 900 in the mail and 100 through a website it was more convenient to just click upload from the hosting site as compared to opening every piece of mail, inputting it into the computer, and attempting to ensure that the applicant has a valid USAT membership. I have to agree with the OP on this one.

Yes... but that website registration/hosting does cost $$$. And they pass that cost on to you.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Inconvenient "convenience" fees Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Gym Initiation Fees ...

Started by mr2tony
Views: 13016 Posts: 20

2008-01-17 6:22 PM magik611

Paying a premiunm for convenience

Started by csharp1171
Views: 838 Posts: 17

2007-09-26 9:24 PM tim_edwards