General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TRI Bike vs. Road Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-06 9:44 AM

User image

Subject: TRI Bike vs. Road Bike
So I'm going into my 3rd year doing tri's. When I started with Tris i bought a road bike. Basically as base as you can get, a Trek 1.1. I've really enjoyed doing triathlons and have my first 70.3 in May. I really think I need to upgrade in the bike department. I've been putting alot of and have been considering signing up for a 140.6 in late fall. Just wanted to get some peoples opinions on wether I should go for a Tri bike or a nicer road bike. Pro's and cons? Don't have a fortune to spend. Just want something nicer then what I have. Thanks

2014-04-06 10:02 AM
in reply to: SR2518

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: TRI Bike vs. Road Bike
Originally posted by SR2518

So I'm going into my 3rd year doing tri's. When I started with Tris i bought a road bike. Basically as base as you can get, a Trek 1.1. I've really enjoyed doing triathlons and have my first 70.3 in May. I really think I need to upgrade in the bike department. I've been putting alot of and have been considering signing up for a 140.6 in late fall. Just wanted to get some peoples opinions on wether I should go for a Tri bike or a nicer road bike. Pro's and cons? Don't have a fortune to spend. Just want something nicer then what I have. Thanks

If you do not plan on being competitive then it depends on your personal preference. FWIW, I used my tri bike in races and key training sessions, and my road bike for longer rides, group rides, easy rides.

If you want to ride in groups go with the road bike
If you are 100% committed to racing triathlon right now go with a tri bike

Road bike is more versatile then a tri bike, handles better, easier to learn on, etc.
2014-04-06 10:24 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

Agree with the above.

Interestingly as well, I spend the vast majority of time on a TT bike and I actually bought a TT bike as my first 'serious' bike even before I bought a road bike, and as such, a have never found the road bike for me to be more 'versatile', as I'm so much more comfortable with the geometry on the TT bike that I prefer for literally everything, including steep climbs which in theory do favor road bikes. 

2014-04-06 11:00 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Why not keep your road bike and buy a tri bike?
2014-04-06 11:31 AM
in reply to: SR2518

User image

Elite
N Carolina
If you are truly dedicated to the sport, a tri bike would certainly be a worthwhile investment.

With that being said, I personally would not switch bikes approx 1 month before a 70.3.

Just my 2 cents
2014-04-06 11:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

The best answer for "tri or road bike?" is "both".  You already have a road bike that sounds good enough for what you want it to do.   If you did a lot of recreational road riding, or frequent non-tri-friends group ride, or charity centuries, etc. then upgrading to a better road bike may make sense to you.  But if your intent with your new bike is primarily triathlons and triathlon training, then make your new bike a tri bike.  It's the proper tool for the job.

Another point to consider is "are you willing and able to ride a tri bike in aero position"? The entire purpose of a triathlon bike is to put the relatively huge non-aerodynamic body of the rider into the best possible aerodynamic position which is down on the aerobars in aero position.  For maximum benefit you have to maximize the percentage of time you spend riding in aero position.  That takes starting with the right bike, then getting good fit from someone who knows what he/she is doing, and then riding time in the aero position.

If you don't really intend to ride in aero position, or live somewhere where you can't find the right roads or trails to ride in aero position and thus can't ride that way, then you won't be able to realize the benefit of a tri bike. So if you intend to sit upright on the bike like it's a road bike, then just get a road bike.

BTW, I do agree with the prior poster that switching bikes just before a race is not a great idea.  If your upcoming 70.3 is in late May, you probably do have enough time, but you should consider all the time you'll have to spend thinking about a new bike, shopping for the new bike, fitting the new bike, practicing aero position on the new bike, so on and so forth. That may be fun for you or it may be a big distraction from your training.

Edited by brucemorgan 2014-04-06 11:51 AM

2014-04-06 2:37 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Thanks everyone for the responses... To start off. Either way I plan on using my trek for thsi 70.3. I wont be buying the next bike til after that race. I've been training with that and its what I'm comfortable with right now. Plus the race is early May. I do have clip on aeros for my trek but the terrain around where I live doesn't give me much chance to use them. Almost only use them on trainer. I haven't done any group rides but that is something I am planning on doing especially if i do sign up for the 140.6. Any recomendations for good affordable TT bike?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TRI Bike vs. Road Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri bike vs. Road bike questions answered Pages: 1 2

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 3658 Posts: 45

2008-12-09 6:01 PM Daremo

Tri bike vs. road bike Pages: 1 2

Started by Texags06
Views: 4137 Posts: 42

2008-06-23 9:20 AM tabbs

Tri bike vs. Road Bike

Started by sharp4850
Views: 844 Posts: 14

2007-08-22 10:26 PM chirunner134

tri bike vs. road bike Pages: 1 2

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 1572 Posts: 27

2006-11-18 10:51 AM the bear

Tri bike vs. Road bike Question

Started by mandy7741
Views: 1700 Posts: 7

2006-03-17 3:15 PM Daremo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : February 3, 2009
comments : 0
On my road bike after 45 minutes, I develop pain between my shoulder blades. It still persists unless I am on my tri bike.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.