General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I've decided that Garmin products are generally crap. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-04-07 1:33 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: I've decided that Garmin products are generally crap.

Originally posted by dfroelich  This is really a case where 95% of silent satisfied users are out-shouted by the 5% of unsatisfied. Either it is a lemon (get it replaced) or user error (try my fixes above).

I disagree.

My 310xt screen cracked when it got knocked off the coffee table onto a tile floor. This is poor design - neither lemon or user error. A GPS watch intended for regular use should be able to handle a 1.5 foot drop without issue. The 310xt also freezes up on me if I turn it on after traveling a long distance from the last place it was used. I tried all of the "user error" fixes like resets and wiping memory, and nothing helps. Garmin will replace it... for $99.

My 210 loses satellite reception under overpasses and will NOT pick them up again unless I stop moving. Again - not a lemon or user error. It's a simple watch by Garmin standards, but I still expect it to function under normal daily conditions.

Now, I'm not just knocking Garmin. I had a Timex Global Trainer where it would take FOREVER to pick up satellites. WAY longer than the 310xt.

I've purchased my Garmins used because I honestly can't see dropping $400 on something I know I won't be entirely satisfied with.

2014-04-07 1:52 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

I do like Garmin products, but I agree that their reliability isn't great. I had to replace my 305 since it wasn't properly receiving the HR signal, and later had to replace my 610 because the band kept breaking. But each time I got really good service from our local outdoors co-op where I bought them-- even after the manufacturer's warranty was up they would replace it for me. So I haven't had to pay full price for a new unit since I got my original 305.

Now I love my 910xt but have had some minor issues with the HR monitor.
2014-04-07 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2014-04-07 1:58 PM
2014-04-07 2:12 PM
in reply to: Fred D

I have owned 3 garmin products.

Bought a 405 used.  It worked well for about 1 year, then it wouldn't hold a charge.  Considering I paid $100 for it...not that big a deal.  It worked well for the time I had it, and I used it for about 1000 miles.

Bought an edge 500 in 2010.  Just after a year of use, the quick release flaps broke.  It was a known issue, and garmin sent me a replacement for $60.  It was out of warranty, but I heard other people getting the replacement for free even if out of warranty.  I was a little upset that I had to pay an extra $60 (even though the warranty was up), but that 500 is still going strong after about 25k miles of use.

I also own a 910xt.  No problems with it.  OWS mode was a little wonky at first (swimming to Africa), but like Johnnyo mentioned, once I read some of the garmin support suggestions on doing a master reset, the issues went away.  I don't really look at elevation gain when using the 910 since I only care about elevation while biking (using my 500), but I haven't noticed any problems with the barometric altimeter in the 910.  Maybe I'm just lucky.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another garmin product.  While I do see a lot of Garmin complaints, I also understand that they sell millions of products.  Even if they have a 2% bad rate on their production line, that's going to be tens of thousands of upset customers.  So I do believe there is some truth that the minority of unhappy customers does outweigh the silent satisfied customers.  If it didn't...then nobody would buy garmin products.  The 910xt would end up just like the Timex Global Trainer.

2014-04-07 2:13 PM

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I know it's just my opinion, but I've had a handful of Garmin products over the years and I've NEVER had any issues with them. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I don't utilize them to their fullest extents, so I never notice errors or problems. I dunno.

My First Garmin was a Garmin 12 and I thought I was on the cutting edge of technology when I was superimposing my mountain bike course on the national geological surveys aerial photographs (predecessor to Google satellite stuff). That was late 1990s, I think.

then I bought a smaller E-Trex unit.

then came the Nuvi devices (I have two)

and there's the 305 and now my newer 910XT

Every single device listed above is still in my possession and still works. Sorry about your bum luck.

Edited by Danno77 2014-04-07 2:15 PM

(garmin-gps-12.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
garmin-gps-12.jpg (29KB - 6 downloads)
2014-04-13 2:22 PM
in reply to: Danno77

Update:

Recalibrated the footpod this week and it seemed accurate, consistently showing a rocksteady 8:30 pace on a run this week, which I knew from feel was 8:30, and the time for the lap was like 8:35 at the end, which also validates the cal I did because the actual lap times aren't recorded via footpod. They record the GPS time. Only instantaneous pace and cadence are recorded from the footpod unless you have no GPS track, at which point it will use that data to generate the distance travelled (ala treadmill run). So I know the cal was right.

Did a Sprint today and the entire time I ran it showed me running 30-45s/mi slower than I actually was. No there was no user error. No I didn't move the pod on the shoe. It's just crap and nothing but a distraction so it's probably going to go on craigslist now.

And for those who say "who cares about ipace anyway? Just use avg pace etc...". I like to know ipace. It's an advertised feature on the watch that should work without the footpod (it doesn't, which is a known issue) and it doesn't work consistently with the additional, expensive, accessory either. This feature worked flawlessly on my old 205 and was rock solid.

I'm glad so many of you have no issues with your gear. Mine is nothing more than an approximation of what I actually did.

2014-04-13 6:06 PM
in reply to: #4977387

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Wait, so you are saying that you calibrated your foot pod to an 8:30 pace and then are mad that it doesn't accurately measure speed work? Someone feel free to correct me on this, but isn't the foot pod just a really expensive pedometer? This is why I don't have one, but maybe I've been wrong all along.
2014-04-13 6:14 PM
in reply to: Danno77

I'm going to cry the day my 305 dies. But luckily, it seems that day is never coming.

2014-04-13 9:13 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

Master
Salt Lake City
What is the point of using a footpod with a GPS watch anyway? GPS is the superior technology. Unless you're on a treadmill why go
Backwards in terms of tech?
2014-04-13 10:41 PM
in reply to: JZig

New user
penticton
there is a few advantage

-if running trails and pod is properly calibrated, the pod will be more accurate than the GPS
-if your running in location where gps signal get lost often, footpod is a good solution
-if you want very reactive and immediate showing of change of pace, the footpod is superior and quicker reading
-if you want running cadence, the footpod provide this and very accurately

for me, the pods is as accurate as the gps because of my strides so i use the pod instead...nicer to have the quick reaction/reading of the footpod vs the delay with gps

it s a different technology... definitely not inferior, different..
2014-04-15 10:00 AM

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Going to jump on just to give feedback.

I'm going on my 3rd 910xt...should be here any day now. Thankfully they have been covered under warranty but you spend that kind of money and shouldn't have the issues I have.

I want to say I'm on my 5th (?) HRM. Had nothing but problems with the PRO one they have.

The worst part is if you call them they know the 910 is faulty and don't know why. THAT drives me nuts.

Their support, from my dealings, have been topnotch though...zero complaints.

2014-04-15 10:12 AM
in reply to: cornick

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
My 305 just won't die. I've had to replace the wrist band on it twice now because I have itty bitty wrists and wearing it on the smallest notch keeps breaking the band. Other than that, never had any problems in the 5 years I've had it.

Except for the one time it died and wouldn't turn on for 3 days in 2012. Which happened to occur while it was sitting in T1. While I was swimming. During my first IM.

If it would die next month I would mourn it's death. And finally get to upgrade to something else. Or maybe forgo a GPS watch entirely.
2014-10-08 1:20 PM
in reply to: katan2212

New user
Originally posted by katan2212

Not trying to be rude here hopwever being a technician for almost 5 years now i have noticed one thing.... 98% of the time with clients all my trouble related tech issues are the users.. Not the equipment. Read all the replies so far and they all say there garmin rocks. I have a ton of garmin stuff too.. Had one issue with the heart rate monitor. got a new one. everything else rocks.. Im thinking user error.. Sorry boss

Let's see -

My 310XT -

Takes forever to find a gps signal. I must be turning it on wrong?

Has the incorrect date if I use it for indoor workouts. Turning it on wrong again?

Gives a completely random speed when using the speed and cadence sensor. Riding incorrectly? or maybe I'm riding the wrong speed?

Heart rate strap failure. Put it on wrong?

Screen went blank three miles into my Ironman run. I looked at it wrong?

Also many other issues that I am sure are my fault...

I am on my second 310xt and I have had many of the common issues and a few less common ones. I am shocked so many people love their Garmins. Maybe I have just got a few bad ones?

2014-10-08 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4980943

New user
Sanford, Florida
That's why I really like my Polar V800. Before that I had the RS800 and never had a problem.
2014-10-08 3:36 PM

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Between my wife, kids, and I, we have been through many Garmin products over the years.  205, 305, 410, 910, etc. and overall I've been very happy.  Only problem I've had is poor current pace consistency but all the rest has been perfect for my needs. 

Edit:  Oh, I forgot, the 405 touch bezel was the worst idea ever.  I could not operate it properly and after much frustration took it back.

Edited by popsracer 2014-10-08 3:39 PM
2014-10-08 3:46 PM

New user
Howell, Michigan
I've used the 910XT for almost three years with no problems. I use the bike cadence sensor, foot pod, and HRM and the only issue I have encountered is goofy readings when the battery in the accessories need to be replaced.

2014-10-08 4:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I am on my third Garmin 305 in the last five years. The first one lasted about two years and the battery died. I did the replacement myself and it worked well for a few months and then quit. The second Garmin went crazy after about two years. I travel a lot so thought maybe storing in my travel bag may be the issue so now I keep it with me on my bag at my seat on the plane. No issues so far and hope it last longer than hype other ones.

Yes....I know how to do soft and hard resets. That was not the issue on my first two Garmins.

I stayed with Garmin because the reviews on Polar and others didn't seem any better.

It is not the user as some have suggested. Sometimes it is the equipment. I will say I use my Garmin almost daily so it gets a lot of hours of use.
2014-10-08 4:54 PM
in reply to: Martine1975

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-10-08 5:22 PM

New user
I will also add that to me the GPS watch market seems a little like the cell phone market before Apple jumped in. Everyone made poor to mediocre products and that's all consumers could pick from. Then apple stepped things up and all the other manufacturers had to respond with better products. Hopefully someone will do the same with GPS watches.

As much of a bad experience as I have had with my garmin I might try a 910XT just because the price has dropped so much and I have quite a few garmin accessories that I don't think will work with a different brand.
2014-10-08 5:53 PM

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by aliddle9876

Update:

Recalibrated the footpod this week and it seemed accurate, consistently showing a rocksteady 8:30 pace on a run this week, which I knew from feel was 8:30, and the time for the lap was like 8:35 at the end, which also validates the cal I did because the actual lap times aren't recorded via footpod. They record the GPS time. Only instantaneous pace and cadence are recorded from the footpod unless you have no GPS track, at which point it will use that data to generate the distance travelled (ala treadmill run). So I know the cal was right.

Did a Sprint today and the entire time I ran it showed me running 30-45s/mi slower than I actually was. No there was no user error. No I didn't move the pod on the shoe. It's just crap and nothing but a distraction so it's probably going to go on craigslist now.

And for those who say "who cares about ipace anyway? Just use avg pace etc...". I like to know ipace. It's an advertised feature on the watch that should work without the footpod (it doesn't, which is a known issue) and it doesn't work consistently with the additional, expensive, accessory either. This feature worked flawlessly on my old 205 and was rock solid.

I'm glad so many of you have no issues with your gear. Mine is nothing more than an approximation of what I actually did.

Could you post a link to that garmin workout? Maybe there is something easy to help out a little.
2014-10-08 6:07 PM
in reply to: Martine1975

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Martine1975

That's why I really like my Polar V800. Before that I had the RS800 and never had a problem.

I have been very frustrated with Garmin quality. I posted in this thread back in April
I was going to go to the V800 but very glad I didn't. They sold a very incomplete watch. People paid $500 for a triathlon watch that couldn't do 2 of the 3 sports and couldn't export the data to anywhere. Yes, they have improved but are still not there. I think they can now do 2 sports.

I actually got a quote for a 920 with 3 year extended warranty. It's the only way I would buy another Garmin product because they do not last.
But I didn't pull the trigger. We will see where everyone is in another few months.

2014-10-08 6:20 PM
in reply to: marcag

Sensei
Sin City

Garmin Etrex summit.  Had it for 12 years - works great.  That's when you basically had Garmin or Magellan to chose from.

Garmen forerunner 305.   Beat that to death.  After thousands of hours, the case finally started to crack.  Garmin gave me a refurbished one to replace it for something like 60 bucks.  Not I'm beating that one up without a hiccup...

I think Garmin is great.

2014-10-08 6:55 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I've had some issues here and there. Once it recorded an activity, but when I connected it to my computer it was gone. Last week, it had some of the datapoints with a date in 2024, so strava wouldn't let me upload it, but I edited the file manually and I was able to upload it fine. I also think it turned off on me yesterday in the middle of an activity, but I could be wrong. I might have forgotten to start the timer. I really remember starting it, but maybe I pushed it twice or something.

I don't know how many times I've used it. I have an Edge 500 by the way, so I'm going to say my error rate is < 1% but it is annoying when it errors. Especially since it can cause you to lose data. 

I've never used a Garmin HR strap so I can't compare that. Also, I don't really care about instantaneous speed, so haven't paid close attention to that.

2014-10-08 7:00 PM
in reply to: jeng

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I love when I answer the same thread twice.

2014-10-08 10:06 PM
in reply to: #4977387

New user
Sanford, Florida
It is correct that the V800 is still improving. Have had 3 updates so far and more updates to come. Polar sold an unfinished product, so everyone has been a beta tester, but on the other hand Polar listen to the people and they when a lot of people ask the same thing, then you get the update what you want.

Sorry for my writing, English not native and too tired to write. XD
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I've decided that Garmin products are generally crap. Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Garmin 305 HR crapped out?

Started by tigers75
Views: 1128 Posts: 4

2012-07-04 1:17 PM Oldteen

Garmin Product Announcement: ANT+ Adapter for iPhone.

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 2092 Posts: 4

2011-10-25 6:55 PM tri808

Trying to decide: Garmin or Timex

Started by tcj103
Views: 2574 Posts: 14

2011-02-25 11:55 PM faded_memories

oh crap. crapity crap crap Pages: 1 2

Started by trishie
Views: 4572 Posts: 43

2009-11-05 1:24 PM the bear

I’ve wimped. I’ve bottled it

Started by mikenhe
Views: 952 Posts: 19

2004-08-17 9:39 PM kgart
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.