in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Race Fees...new pricing idea

Originally posted by jennifer_runs
Originally posted by badmo77a
Originally posted by thebigb

Why don't we make race fees on a sliding scale that gradually increases as time on course increases? If you think about it, the faster you are off the course the less resources you demand and the lower financial cost of your participation. Thoughts? 

April fools was 7 days ago.
I actually went back to look at the date of the post. There's so much wrong with this idea I won't even start. Or maybe we could propose having vending machines at the aid stations where you pay for what you take?

Now that could have some traction!

2014-04-08 1:13 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro

This is excellent. HAHAHAHA!!!

2014-04-08 1:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Burbs

Edited by trishie 2014-04-08 1:16 PM
2014-04-08 1:26 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

But don't the winners receive some sort of prizes? They cost money.

2014-04-08 1:31 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Apparently I should have read the rest of the thread before posting my previous response.

Originally posted by mehaner

how would this even work?  would your timing chip trigger your credit card being charged?  do i get a refund if i finish faster than i thought i would?  have you seen what happens when people are allowed to self-seed?

We joked about this at some of our bike races this year. The weather has been challenging since the spring series races have started. There has been a lot of cold rain. Our races usual consist of a number of laps of a 6-10km course. So many people were dropping out. We were joking that your timing chip credits your account for every lap that you finish. We could have it debit too.

2014-04-08 1:32 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Sylvania, Ga
Originally posted by ChrisM

how would this even work?  would your timing chip trigger your credit card being charged?  do i get a refund if i finish faster than i thought i would?  have you seen what happens when people are allowed to self-seed?

It could totally work.  I think they should do it cafeteria style.   Gun goes off, they charge a pre-authorized $50.  I've heard that on cruise ships they now give you a bracelet, they scan for charges, connected to your account.   So as you come out of the swim, say at a HIM, under 28 minutes its $25, 28-33 is $30, 34-38 is $30, and so on....  If you take a drink of water between swim and T1, $5.  Scanned going in and out of T1.   

Bike is a little tricky, but affix a sticker to the bike, as you come through aid stations, gatorade is $10, gel is $2.50, sort of like fast pass.  Scanned as you come int transition.  Under 2:30 is $30.  2:30-2:45 is $50, etc.....

On the run, it's kind of a pain, but if you take something at an aid station, they scan you.  Water $1.  Gels $3 (more expensive on the run).  Coke $5.

If you want Reilly to say your name, that's $40.  No acknowledgement is free, but you still pay based on finish time.   under 4, 4-4:15, 4:16- 4:30, etc....

Faster you go and less you drink or eat, could be a really cheap half!

I actually sort of like this idea. More incentive to train harder, and bring my own supplies.

2014-04-08 1:37 PM

User image

Originally posted by mr2tony

Why don't we make race fees on a sliding scale that gradually increases as time on course increases? If you think about it, the faster you are off the course the less resources you demand and the lower financial cost of your participation. Thoughts? 

I SHOCKED that someone who's doing Boston and is sponsored by Zoot is saying this.

Hey, I fully understand and accept that I'd be paying more than the actual fast kids out there. Heck, at a swimming event I'd probably pay more than anyone else. 

So, again the question.   Are RDs suffering?   Is there a reason for the proposal?  Or is it just a bit of a Tuesday troll..........

Bit of a troll spurred by a FB discussion/experiment. Interesting to see the reaction here compared to other places. 

FTR, I actually think races should just be cheaper for everyone  

I would like to see ST take a crack at this 

2014-04-08 1:39 PM
in reply to: LukeBoswell

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I think they should charge less and stop giving me stupid tshirts, race bags full of unwanted crap (I'm not saying that I don't get stuff that is cool, just I'd live without it), and tons of snacks afterwards.

I'll buy the shirts I want, and eat something else after the race.
2014-04-08 1:41 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by Danno77 I think they should charge less and stop giving me stupid tshirts, race bags full of unwanted crap (I'm not saying that I don't get stuff that is cool, just I'd live without it), and tons of snacks afterwards. I'll buy the shirts I want, and eat something else after the race.
\

This is what I thought the thread would be about when I opened it.

I don't think the RD pays for the "crap in the bag" --- that's from sponsors -- but I could do without more race shirts. Some running races I do give an option to register with the tshirt/ premium or without.

2014-04-08 1:41 PM
in reply to: LukeBoswell

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by LukeBoswell

It could totally work.  I think they should do it cafeteria style.   Gun goes off, they charge a pre-authorized $50.  I've heard that on cruise ships they now give you a bracelet, they scan for charges, connected to your account.   So as you come out of the swim, say at a HIM, under 28 minutes its $25, 28-33 is $30, 34-38 is $30, and so on....  If you take a drink of water between swim and T1, $5.  Scanned going in and out of T1.   

Bike is a little tricky, but affix a sticker to the bike, as you come through aid stations, gatorade is $10, gel is $2.50, sort of like fast pass.  Scanned as you come int transition.  Under 2:30 is $30.  2:30-2:45 is $50, etc.....

On the run, it's kind of a pain, but if you take something at an aid station, they scan you.  Water $1.  Gels $3 (more expensive on the run).  Coke $5.

If you want Reilly to say your name, that's $40.  No acknowledgement is free, but you still pay based on finish time.   under 4, 4-4:15, 4:16- 4:30, etc....

I actually sort of like this idea. More incentive to train harder, and bring my own supplies.

I like it but I would need a debit/credit system in play so I could earn back all the money I'd spend on the swim. 

2014-04-08 1:43 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I say make the fast people pay more.  Start the race fee at $5000 and at hour 8, it drops 500 bucks per hour.

I figure the Kona bound people have so much money to buy the expensive bikes, wheels, power meters, travel to Kona, fancy watches, they can easily afford it anyway.

It MAY slow people down enough to avoid the high costs I might be able to QK myself.  KQ times might be around 15-16 hours, depending on the socio-economic times.

PS.  Why is anyone it wasting energy being offended by this thread? 

2014-04-08 1:44 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by trishie

Originally posted by Danno77 I think they should charge less and stop giving me stupid tshirts, race bags full of unwanted crap (I'm not saying that I don't get stuff that is cool, just I'd live without it), and tons of snacks afterwards. I'll buy the shirts I want, and eat something else after the race.
\

This is what I thought the thread would be about when I opened it.

I don't think the RD pays for the "crap in the bag" --- that's from sponsors -- but I could do without more race shirts. Some running races I do give an option to register with the tshirt/ premium or without.

How much do race shirts really cost anyway? I'd suspect the RD isn't paying very much for them to begin with so we wouldn't see much price change. Honestly, I'd be all for no shirts and no medals but realize medals are a point of pride for people that don't do this as frequently as some of us. Maybe a "pay for medal" option? 

If they're going to give out shirts I'd almost rather cotton shirts so I could wear them during a normal day or use them as a rag. I never, ever run in the tech shirts they give out. 

2014-04-08 1:44 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

I say make the fast people pay more.  Start the race fee at $5000 and at hour 8, it drops 500 bucks per hour.

I figure the Kona bound people have so much money to buy the expensive bikes, wheels, power meters, travel to Kona, fancy watches, they can easily afford it anyway.

It MAY slow people down enough to avoid the high costs I might be able to QK myself.  KQ times might be around 15-16 hours, depending on the socio-economic times.

Dude.....you should have read a comment or two that were deleted shortly after they were posted.......unreal.

2014-04-08 1:45 PM

User image

I like it but I would need a debit/credit system in play so I could earn back all the money I'd spend on the swim. 

Sorry, no credit on other legs for poor performance on one, pay as you go. 

Can't have it both ways.  Learn to swim 

2014-04-08 1:46 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Originally posted by Kido

first day on the internet?

welcome! 

2014-04-08 1:46 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Bring on the huge swim block in a few weeks!

2014-04-08 1:48 PM

User image

Bring on the huge swim block in a few weeks!

Every lap is money in the bank.  Literally.

BTW, lifeguards are a HUGE expense.  your races could get very spendy under your proposal 

Edited by ChrisM 2014-04-08 1:51 PM
2014-04-08 1:55 PM

I could do without the medals. For that matter I could do with out a shirt, but sponsors want their names on a shirt and view it as advertising. Getting rid of the shirts could reduce sponsors which would then increase cost.
2014-04-08 1:59 PM

User image

Exton, PA

Only place I see this working is in the line for the porty pots! You get charged for each minute your in there. If it stinks afterward there a penalty fee!
2014-04-08 2:18 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Seattle

I'd like to take this opportunity to officially announce the end of my marathon career and my entry into the 100 M, triple jump, long jump and pole vault. 

2014-04-08 2:20 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I'd like to take this opportunity to officially announce the end of my marathon career and my entry into the 100 M, triple jump, long jump and pole vault. 

Psh, you'd only pay like five bucks for a mary!

2014-04-08 2:30 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
actually they already kinda have a solution its called cut off time.
2014-04-08 2:47 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Psh, you'd only pay like five bucks for a mary!

I'm cheap though .. the 100 would be very affordable

Nah, this general discussion is interesting though. The shirts, medals and swag appeals to the masses (as does a course staying open long enough for everyone to finish) and we need the masses. Nah, we want the masses even. Increasing exposure and popularity of the sport is important, as is encouraging newbies to get (and hopefully stay) active.

I'm thinking of running specifically when I say this but I think triathlon has some similarities.  

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-04-08 2:48 PM
2014-04-08 3:02 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

2014-04-08 3:29 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by chirunner134 actually they already kinda have a solution its called cut off time.

In all seriousness, this is actually the real answer. Races have to have a time limit, and there is a fixed cost to support the course up until that time limit. No matter how fast the winner or anyone else is, the race is still obligated to pay those fixed costs until the time limit or until everyone is off the course - whichever comes first.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Fees...new pricing idea Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Race Fee + Processing Fee

Started by snake111
Views: 988 Posts: 7

2009-07-31 4:18 PM trix

Wow-Reality Check: The Race Entry Fees Pages: 1 2

Started by SweetK
Views: 2568 Posts: 39

2006-11-11 1:43 PM MikeTheBear

race fees! Pages: 1 2

Started by weds19
Views: 1821 Posts: 39

2005-04-05 12:43 PM dovecom

Tax-Deductable Race Fees??

Started by JGFTri
Views: 946 Posts: 23

2004-11-12 6:19 AM scuba-punk

new idea for all those race numbers!

Started by autumn
Views: 566 Posts: 1

2004-09-20 1:33 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.

date : March 4, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 4
When shopping for triathlon bike aerobars, considerations range from adjustability, comfort, aerodynamics, weight, and of course, price.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.