General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hmmmm...could it be the Hokas? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-09 5:48 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Hmmmm...could it be the Hokas?
In an attempt to thwart a recurrent metatarsalgia that comes with runs of >5 miles, I turned to Hokas in training for a HM I did in Feb. Since Jan I have virtually exclusively run on the Hokas (both Bondi B and Stinson Tarmac) (20 mi week before the HM, ~12-15 after). The Hokas did indeed significantly improve the metatarsalgia and honestly, the most comfortable shoe I have ever run in. However, in the last month I have developed a dull ache in my hip. It is getting better (I'm not running now), but I have NEVER had a hip issue before. I am just wondering if this could be the Hokas? Methinks maybe I should get a new pair of Mizuno to use once I get back on the road.

Edit: I'm a moderate overpronator - could this be relevant to my problem?

Edited by Oysterboy 2014-04-09 5:51 AM

2014-04-09 7:12 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

Subject: RE: Hmmmm...could it be the Hokas?

I don't know exactly why you have the hip pain, but remember this - no shoe, regardless of cushioining, actually reduces the overall weight your experience per stride. The added cushioning can redistribute the load somewhat, so that the hips or knees may be taking more of the impact, but there is no such thing as gravity reduction per stride regardless of how much padding is in the shoe.

2014-04-09 9:10 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by yazmaster

I don't know exactly why you have the hip pain, but remember this - no shoe, regardless of cushioining, actually reduces the overall weight your experience per stride. The added cushioning can redistribute the load somewhat, so that the hips or knees may be taking more of the impact, but there is no such thing as gravity reduction per stride regardless of how much padding is in the shoe.

Understood, but I'm thinking that because there is limited pronation control on the Hokas that I may be getting a bit more outward roll during my right heel strike that I would on a stability shoe. Also, previous shoes that I have run in (Brooks Adrenaline, Ravenna, and Mizuno Wave Inspires) have higher drop than the Hokas. Again, I don't really know what the problem is but know something isn't right.
2014-04-09 9:51 AM

I would give anything to know the answer to this same question, because everything you wrote also applies to me!

I have metatarsalgia in my left foot that is manageable for shorter runs, but after about an hour it can really flare up. I was previously running in Asics GT-2170 which is classified as a stability shoe. I have mild over-pronation on my right side, partly due to osteoarthritis in my right knee. I made the switch to Hoka Stinson Tarmac back in February, and my feet feel great after long runs now. However, I started to develop some pain in my right hip on those longer runs after about an hour of running. I ran a HM last Saturday, and it was really sore during the second half of the race.

I did some Google searching, and one of the likely issues based on my symptoms is hip bursitis. I'm going to get checked out by a sports physiologist in the area, and also talk it through with my coach. I am anticipating that changing shoes back to something that offers more stability could end up being part of the process, along with ITB stretching and exercises to strengthen the muscles in the hip area.
2014-04-09 1:40 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Is it your hip on the side or front, or is it more in your butt? I ask because I have similar pains when I push myself in training & it's been diagnosed as ITBS for me. My pain is focused more in my upper right butt cheek & can wrap around to the side. I know this all too well because right now I am sitting on my left side to give my right side some relief!
2014-04-09 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I'm still in the Hokas. Got a new pair of Bondi 3's and running quite a few miles in them.

My plan is to mix up the runs with the less cushioned shoes, but still dealing with heel issues which Hokas help so much with.

I do think if you have weak arches like me, the foot tends to sag inwards and may contribute to other issues because the Hokas are so cushy.
That's one reason for mixing in the other shoes.

As for causing hip pain, it's hard to say but I would think not. However, I do notice my quads & calves working harder in Hokas, I have no idea if this could affect the hips. I do feel there is more stress on the knee from Hokas.

2014-04-09 3:42 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Every body is different - and even the same person can have a different response to a shoe if they work on running mechanics over time.

So, not every shoe will work for everyone (or might help one thing and make another worse) or for all types of running or over extended periods of time.  Hokas didn't work for me (shin splints), but are great for others.

Only way to know is to rotate them in and out and track your response to them, I think.

Matt

2014-04-09 4:16 PM
in reply to: metafizx

I made an appointment with a sports medicine doctor to get checked out. Also talked with my coach, and we are going to reduce my running and go back to my previous shoes to see if that makes things better. If it turns out I have to give up the Hokas I will be sad, because my feet feel so good but we'll see how it goes.
2014-04-09 7:23 PM
in reply to: nx882

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I ha a minor ITBS issue a few years ago, and this is definitely different. It doesn't feel like muscle, could be connective tissue that is part of my hip girdle, but a touch of bursitis could be the answer. It only really hurts when I run, no problem riding my bike. I can feel it a bit when I walk. I think this really has to do with instability in my foot. Biomechanically, my running gate is a mess.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hmmmm...could it be the Hokas? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Don't love my Hokas

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 2040 Posts: 22

2013-05-17 9:27 AM La Tortuga

Things that make you go hmmmm

Started by boneyBP
Views: 558 Posts: 3

2009-08-23 3:24 PM verga

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3082 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

First ever event - half iron man - I am am now a triathlete.

Started by sally888
Views: 1776 Posts: 14

2004-10-12 5:12 AM La Rakusillian

hmmmm. personal dilema

Started by Crash_Man
Views: 773 Posts: 5

2004-04-02 1:22 PM Crash_Man
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.