Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-04-11 1:37 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Ironman Maryland!

Originally posted by dmiller5

I don't disagree, the first thing I said was that I was sad it was going....sooooooo I don't get your point. WTC is doing good business. ok cool. I don't like their races, and I don't want them in my state. I would rather chance it not happening and hope anoth er race sprang up eventually. This is my opinion, you can't really argue with it.

I've done Chesapeakeman and it was a GREAT race. No drafting. And to whomever says there was no market....it had a steady following and good numbers.

CTA didn't go out of business because of C-Man. They went out of business because of charitable contributions that's exceeded their budget, and poor decision making by an unqualified board.

Here ya go Dave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgiNddQ1lSU

2014-04-11 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

I don't disagree, the first thing I said was that I was sad it was going....sooooooo I don't get your point. WTC is doing good business. ok cool. I don't like their races, and I don't want them in my state. I would rather chance it not happening and hope another race sprang up eventually. This is my opinion, you can't really argue with it.

I've done Chesapeakeman and it was a GREAT race. No drafting. And to whomever says there was no market....it had a steady following and good numbers.

CTA didn't go out of business because of C-Man. They went out of business because of charitable contributions that's exceeded their budget, and poor decision making by an unqualified board.

You don't want IM in your state? Selfish much?
2014-04-11 1:51 PM

User image

NC

You are damn right I would rather have no race and 300 people who need to find another IM than have WTC plant its flag here.

I get this. I don't think it's necessarily selfish, but really, really nostalgic. It's like your favorite bar in college being replaced by an Applebee's. It sucks, but what can you do.

2014-04-11 1:53 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by dmiller5 You are damn right I would rather have no race and 300 people who need to find another IM than have WTC plant its flag here.
I get this. I don't think it's necessarily selfish, but really, really nostalgic. It's like your favorite bar in college being replaced by an Applebee's. It sucks, but what can you do.

Boycott Wal-Mart.

2014-04-11 1:55 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

NC
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by dmiller5 You are damn right I would rather have no race and 300 people who need to find another IM than have WTC plant its flag here.

Boycott Wal-Mart.

I'll boycott corporate coffee and corporate pizza, but I HAVE TO buy paper towels for like 50% less than the chain grocery store.

2014-04-11 1:55 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by bcagle25

I don't disagree, the first thing I said was that I was sad it was going....sooooooo I don't get your point. WTC is doing good business. ok cool. I don't like their races, and I don't want them in my state. I would rather chance it not happening and hope another race sprang up eventually. This is my opinion, you can't really argue with it.

You don't want IM in your state? Selfish much?

...selfish? I also don't want mcdonalds...or walmart....or murder....

2014-04-11 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

exactly, you complain to pretend internet people.

User image

NC

I also don't want mcdonalds...or walmart....or murder....

What about Wattie Ink?

in reply to: bcagle25

User image

I'm pretty convinced that if Andrew Messick ran into a burning building to save a baby that was trapped inside, the baby's parent's would still find some reason to complain.

2014-04-11 1:58 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

NC
Originally posted by Jason N

I'm pretty convinced that if Andrew Messick ran into a burning building to save a baby that was trapped inside, the baby's parent's would still find some reason to complain.

Are they trying to get a refund or transfer?

2014-04-11 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

If your favorite burger place closed, and they put a McDonalds there, would you be praising McDonalds for saving your favorite burger place?

2014-04-11 2:02 PM

User image

Pro

If your favorite burger place closed, and they put a McDonalds there, would you be praising McDonalds for saving your favorite burger place?

Preach it!!!

2014-04-11 2:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Praise...why?  Complain...no.

ETA: however, if McDonalds hired all the people that were laid off at the burger place, and honored all outstanding gift cards etc that the burger place was defaulting on...then yes...I would praise them.  But if your example is just one shop closing down and another popping up in it's place...no.

Edited by Jason N 2014-04-11 2:05 PM
2014-04-11 2:05 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-04-11 2:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ETA: however, if McDonalds hired all the people that were laid off at the burger place, and honored all outstanding gift cards etc that the burger place was defaulting on...then yes...I would praise them.  But if your example is just one shop closing down and another popping up in it's place...no.

They aren't doing that, and if your favorite burger place closed, you wouldn't care?

2014-04-11 2:06 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-04-11 2:08 PM

Are they trying to get a refund or transfer?

Probably both.  Hence why they complain.  Messick clearly states that once he runs into burning buildings...there are not refunds or transfers.  Damn him.

2014-04-11 2:09 PM
in reply to: mike761

Elite

Originally posted by mike761 Bargain of the year for anyone who already signed up for it as Chesapeake man! I think it was about? $200 registration

I did it one.damn.year.early.

I love this race. I've done the full, I did the inaugural half with only 20 folks waaaaay back when, and I've done the half three times.  I'm sad to see that go.

I am not sad that how I had to pour my own drink at one water stop during my marathon and that the last four miles I ran in pitch black b/c there were no lights on the road (dag wind slowed me down too much to a twilight finish) and I was surrounded by bugs.  did I mention I got stung on the face and in the nose?

Its going to get a rep as an easy course. Of course it is easier. But we had wind gusts of 35 mph, choppy water, jellies, wind on the run, and rain on the run. So, take it for whats its worth. I'll be interested to see what comes of this.  I can't do it this year, but I'm likely to try next year.

2014-04-11 2:11 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

Pro

How do ya'll feel about Home Depot?

2014-04-11 2:18 PM

They aren't doing that, and if your favorite burger place closed, you wouldn't care?

Back to my absurd burning building analogy.

If there was a baby in a burning building...I would absolutely care.

If someone ran into the burning building to save the baby...would I complain?  No.

2014-04-11 2:19 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

They hire too many Olympic athletes.  They should focus more on HIM and IM athletes.

2014-04-11 2:21 PM

Pro

They hire too many Olympic athletes.  They should focus more on HIM and IM athletes.

Well, my wife sent me there for a pin for her horse trailer hitch...they ain't got it.  It's Bullchit!

2014-04-12 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4979837

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: Ironman Maryland
Anyone have any inside scoop?
2014-04-13 2:53 AM
in reply to: 0

Baltimore, MD

Well, my wife sent me there for a pin for her horse trailer hitch...they ain't got it.  It's Bullchit!

That's what you get for trying to buy auto parts at a home improvement store.

Edited by schaumi 2014-04-13 3:00 AM
2014-04-13 1:27 PM
in reply to: La Tortuga

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Ironman Maryland
Inside scoop about what?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Maryland! Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

PanCan TeamHOPE Event - Maryland 2006

Started by econway
Views: 689 Posts: 1

2006-09-12 11:00 AM econway

Borrowing a bike in Maryland! 8/27

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 536 Posts: 1

2006-06-26 10:07 AM dodgersmom

Iron Girl Tri coming to Maryland in 2006

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 759 Posts: 5

2005-08-25 9:46 AM dodgersmom

EX2 Off-Road-Flintstone Maryland

Started by surfandturfnj
Views: 696 Posts: 1

2005-07-18 9:21 AM surfandturfnj

IronDistance Race in Maryland

Started by kgart
Views: 819 Posts: 3

2004-05-19 8:17 AM debs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.