Burbs
Subject: Ironman Maryland!

2014-04-10 3:53 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Subject: RE: Ironman Maryland!
Just saw it on ST. Registration opens thursday 4/17/14??
2014-04-10 4:05 PM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

Extreme Veteran

WTC has a program where people that ranked well last year get privileged entry into the IM

They just sent this out

As you may have heard, IRONMAN announced today that Cambridge, Maryland will become the twelfth U.S. location in the IRONMAN® Series. The inaugural IRONMAN Maryland will take place on Saturday, September 20, 2014, becoming the first IRONMAN race in the Mid-Atlantic!
We value your loyalty and want to offer you priority registration into this first-year event. This means you will have special access to register for the event before it goes on sale to the general public. Emails will be sent at 10 a.m. ET on Tuesday, April 15 with a unique link for registration. There are limited slots available. This offer is non-transferable and available until April 17 at 11 a.m. ET. General registration opens April 17 at noon ET
2014-04-10 4:36 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

NC
Originally posted by marcag

This means you will have special access to register for the event before it goes on sale to the general public.

Elitism!

2014-04-10 4:40 PM

Glad to see WTC is actively building on the legacy that CTA built! So, I guess all the fears and moaning about the takeover of CTA proved to be a bunch of hot air. I can't speak for the prices of the former CTA races vs. the 'new' WTC races (and I'm sure there will be some differences), but I for one am glad to see that WTC is doing the right thing for all the triathletes that previously raced CTA races.

Can't race IM Maryland this year because I'm already in for another IM race this summer, but will def consider racing it in the future.

I'm sure there are folks who will continue to moan about WTC's takeover of CTA and losing some great 'independent' races, but it is what it is. Paraphrasing one of my favorite movies "It's not personal, it's just business".
2014-04-10 4:48 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Goosedog

Originally posted by marcag

This means you will have special access to register for the event before it goes on sale to the general public.

Elitism!

yup only 30 Kona slots

2014-04-10 5:01 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I'll be more inclined to do it now than I was when it was ChesapeakeMan.  Not because it's a WTC event, but because now I'd expect it to become large enough to feel more like an "event" rather than a training day.

2014-04-10 6:43 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I'm pretty excited to see a Saturday race.  What is the general terrain like around there?  What kind of a bike course would be likely?

2014-04-10 7:03 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by popsracer

I'm pretty excited to see a Saturday race.  What is the general terrain like around there?  What kind of a bike course would be likely?

Pancake.  

2014-04-10 7:26 PM

User image

New user
Pleasant Grove, Utah
I'm also excited to see a Saturday full IM so close to NoVA. It's definitely on my radar now, but this year it's on the same day as the Air Force marathon in Ohio. 2015 then.
2014-04-10 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by marcag WTC has a program where people that ranked well last year get privileged entry into the IM They just sent this out As you may have heard, IRONMAN announced today that Cambridge, Maryland will become the twelfth U.S. location in the IRONMAN® Series. The inaugural IRONMAN Maryland will take place on Saturday, September 20, 2014, becoming the first IRONMAN race in the Mid-Atlantic! We value your loyalty and want to offer you priority registration into this first-year event. This means you will have special access to register for the event before it goes on sale to the general public. Emails will be sent at 10 a.m. ET on Tuesday, April 15 with a unique link for registration. There are limited slots available. This offer is non-transferable and available until April 17 at 11 a.m. ET. General registration opens April 17 at noon ET

I received this invitation but the preface wasn't about ranking. The full text was this:

Congratulations! To reward our most loyal athletes who have completed 12 or more IRONMAN races, we'd like to offer you an exclusive opportunity.

As you may have heard, IRONMAN announced today that Cambridge, Maryland will become the twelfth U.S. location in the IRONMAN® Series. The inaugural IRONMAN Maryland will take place on Saturday, September 20, 2014, becoming the first IRONMAN race in the Mid-Atlantic!

We value your loyalty and want to offer you priority registration into this first-year event. This means you will have special access to register for the event before it goes on sale to the general public. Emails will be sent at 10 a.m. ET on Tuesday, April 15 with a unique link for registration. There are limited slots available. This offer is non-transferable and available until April 17 at 11 a.m. ET. General registration opens April 17 at noon ET.

Thank you so much for your patronage to the sport and to IRONMAN over the years -- we truly appreciate athletes like yourself. We will be contacting you with other exclusive offers throughout the year.

2014-04-10 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
2014-04-10 10:58 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Are you sure you have the right link?

2014-04-10 11:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

this saddens me so much.

2014-04-10 11:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I just don't get why everyone is so excited now that Ironman is coming to town.

Common complaints you hear at Ironman races:
1. Too expensive
2. Too crowded on course
3. Everything is generic from one race to the next

Well before Ironman came in, Chesapeakeman had the answers to everyones complaints, you know the exact same race for the past 8 years.
1. Smaller field size
2. Lower priced races
3. Non-generic medals
4. Multiple race options

I guess that shows the power of the almighty WTC brand. I know people like the big events, but sometimes the grassroots feel that Chesapeakman had can be one of the hidden gems in triathlon. My favorite race that I have ever been apart of was the inaugural Bend Leadman (Not Vegas), just a bunch of people out to smash themselves with no idea what was in store. Small transition, grassroots feel, felt like you were close to everyone (even though you didn't see many on the bike past 40 miles).

So now the Ironman NA calendar is even more condensed. More Kona slots up for grabs, but pier space is running low. More expansion outside the U.S. (which is a good thing, Hello South America!), but the NA demographic is packed:

May
17: IMTX (Sold Out)

June:
29: CDA (Open)

July
29: IMLP (Sold Out), IM Canada (Open)

August:
3: IM Boulder (Sold Out)
17: IMMT (Sold Out)
24: IM Lou (Open)

September:
7: IMWI (Foundation Slots)
20: IM Maryland
21: IM Tahoe (Open)
28: IM Chattanooga (Sold Out)

October:
Ironman Los Cabos (2015)

November:
1: Florida (Sold Out)
16: Arizona (Sold Out)
30: Cozumel (Open)

WTC races do not sell out as fast (minus the usual 4 IMWI, IMLP, IMAZ, IMFL). It has now become a packed schedule, especially in August/September. I think they did a great job in announcing new races at the right time this past year, but I am curious to see how it plays out in 2015. With triathlon participation numbers in a small decline, I think this might just be WTC's capacity for expansion. However, this might just be a good thing for athletes, more time to plan, less time ahead to commit. Rev 3 doesn't seem focused on the 140.6 yet, but Challenge is giving it a go. Hopefully this makes WTC give a bit more effort into making each IM race a bit more unique.

Edited by bcagle25 2014-04-10 11:35 PM
2014-04-11 1:00 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

Master
, California

Originally posted by bcagle25 WTC races do not sell out as fast (minus the usual 4 IMWI, IMLP, IMAZ, IMFL). It has now become a packed schedule, especially in August/September. I think they did a great job in announcing new races at the right time this past year, but I am curious to see how it plays out in 2015. With triathlon participation numbers in a small decline, I think this might just be WTC's capacity for expansion. However, this might just be a good thing for athletes, more time to plan, less time ahead to commit. Rev 3 doesn't seem focused on the 140.6 yet, but Challenge is giving it a go. Hopefully this makes WTC give a bit more effort into making each IM race a bit more unique.

I don't think there's been much change in how fast they sell out.  CdA and Louisville always had time to sign up even years ago.  Tahoe is the new St. George.  It'll do a little better just being in California but a lot of people hate hills.  Canada (Whistler) is more affected by Challenge Penticton than WTC expansion.  The other newer races are mostly located well to cover demand and geographic holes (Colorado, Texas, Mont-Tremblant - all sold out).

On the other hand, having more venues gives WTC an opportunity to cap their North American races at a smaller number.  Maybe they will for some of the races -- I'm guessing not the 4 you listed though.  But outside North America, I've done IM Western Australia and IM New Zealand, which were capped at 1500 and 2000.  It seems like there's less tolerance for crowded bike courses in other parts of the world.

2014-04-11 6:23 AM
in reply to: #4979837

User image

WTC is also opening Maryland up to early tri-club registration. So, on Thursday it could already be close to full.

So I guess if you want in be ready to register when it opens up.
2014-04-11 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by popsracer

Are you sure you have the right link?

I'm sure he does. I get the metaphor.

But folks, this would not have happened without TriColumbia blowing up internally. WTC is not the Borg. A comment on slowtwitch was perfect: the only other option was going to be CanceledMan. The death of Chessieman came first. I'm sad that I never did Skipjack just for the name. (My son's name is Jack.)

2014-04-11 7:54 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Bargain of the year for anyone who already signed up for it as Chesapeake man! I think it was about? $200 registration
2014-04-11 8:15 AM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by TheClaaaw  I'm sure he does. I get the metaphor. But folks, this would not have happened without TriColumbia blowing up internally. WTC is not the Borg. A comment on slowtwitch was perfect: the only other option was going to be CanceledMan. The death of Chessieman came first. I'm sad that I never did Skipjack just for the name. (My son's name is Jack.)

This!

2014-04-11 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by trishie

Originally posted by TheClaaaw  I'm sure he does. I get the metaphor. But folks, this would not have happened without TriColumbia blowing up internally. WTC is not the Borg. A comment on slowtwitch was perfect: the only other option was going to be CanceledMan. The death of Chessieman came first. I'm sad that I never did Skipjack just for the name. (My son's name is Jack.)

This!

Yes but maybe another smaller company could have moved in with a different Ultra-Distance event next year. Now we are stuck with the Walmart version.

2014-04-11 8:41 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

When showing up to IM Maryland that used to be Chesapeakeman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O1hM-k3aUY

2014-04-11 9:34 AM

Originally posted by dmiller5

This!

Yes but maybe another smaller company could have moved in with a different Ultra-Distance event next year. Now we are stuck with the Walmart version.

Ok, perhaps a smaller company could have acquired CTA....but who is that? And could they have provided the capital, insurance and operational support to ensure that this year's races could still be held? Given all the timing issues with races that are scheduled for later this summer, it's unrealistic to think that any company other than Rev3 or WTC could have saved the races. I don't even think that Challenge could have done it...they don't have the infrastructure here in the US to do so.

It would have been nice to think that some small grass-roots group could have saved CTA, but where are they? I agree that having 'independent' iron distance races is a good thing, but CTA imploded on itself. WTC is the white knight here. Otherwise, you would have CanceledMan - and that doesn't help anybody.

Edited by LarchmontTri 2014-04-11 9:37 AM
2014-04-11 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

No, not saving Columbia tri. Another company could have filled the void in the market for an IM race. As in, started their own. Now the venue is claimed.

ETA: I'd rather have "canceledman" that IM in my state. I'd rather have the opportunity for a group that cares about the sport to come in than McTriathlon swooping in to take everyone's money.

ETA More: "White Knight" my white behind. WTC is NOT moving in to help anyone. They are making a financial decision. They are here to make money. Don't fool yourself into thinking that WTC is being altruistic, they are making a buck.

Edited by dmiller5 2014-04-11 9:48 AM
2014-04-11 9:47 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by dmiller5

This!

No, not Walmart - it's the Macy's version. That would be an much more accurate corporate comparison. Walmart stores are bland warehouse-style boxes, stocked with low to moderate quality products, with consumers who select Walmart mainly by price.

Macy's stores, on the other hand, in general are much higher end buildings, stocked with high quality products, are professionally managed, and yet each store is about the same except for the location. Consumers choose to shop at Macy's instead of WalMart because the many products are better quality, and even if it's the exact same product the stores are better and the shopping experience is better, and people will trade a few bucks for a nicer store. And then there is the power of branding. Walking around in WaMart clothes doesn't fit with a lot of people's self image. Nor do some people want to shop at a chain that has the reputation of destroying local businesses while failing to pay a living wage to its own employees.

Describing WTC as the Macy's of the triathlon world is apt. Generally high quality races, professionally managed, but a bit the same. Branding is generally more positive than WalMart, with some people objecting based on size and some people participating because of size.

As we all know, corporate up-sizing and consolidation is not new. Economies of scale and strength of consumer branding tend to win over small and local.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Maryland! Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

PanCan TeamHOPE Event - Maryland 2006

Started by econway
Views: 689 Posts: 1

2006-09-12 11:00 AM econway

Borrowing a bike in Maryland! 8/27

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 536 Posts: 1

2006-06-26 10:07 AM dodgersmom

Iron Girl Tri coming to Maryland in 2006

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 759 Posts: 5

2005-08-25 9:46 AM dodgersmom

EX2 Off-Road-Flintstone Maryland

Started by surfandturfnj
Views: 696 Posts: 1

2005-07-18 9:21 AM surfandturfnj

IronDistance Race in Maryland

Started by kgart
Views: 819 Posts: 3

2004-05-19 8:17 AM debs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.