General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello WA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-14 3:19 AM

Subject: Hello WA
Hello, WA Triathletes!

My name is Anthony and just a few weeks ago I decided I wanted to get into the world of Triathlons. Currently I can only train for swimming and biking do to a few health problems with my shins. Hopefully by summertime (June) I'll be able to start running.

I swim 3-4 times a week right now and just did a 1.4 mile swim this last week in under an hour and it felt awesome! It was in the pool of course but it felt great. What I'm looking at is getting a bike right now to train on. Been reading different articles and some, including one Pro Triathlete (can't remember the name), that Mountain Biking is a great way to start training. Build up the legs, the endurance, the heavier bike. I'm going to get a triathlon bike with next year's tax returns but want to be training right now. What are your opinions on getting a mountain bike and starting to train on that first?

My goal is to compete in the 2015 Ironman 70.3 here in Washington. Being able to run starting sometime in June and the Lake Stevens WA Ironman in August won't give me enough time to train for it so that is why my goal is 2015. Any advise would be great! Thanks!

2014-04-14 2:54 PM
in reply to: FitnessDynasty

User image

Extreme Veteran
Puyallup, WA
Subject: RE: Hello WA
Anthony,
Welcome to the Washington forum. Congratulations on getting into tri's. They are a lot of fun. We have a great group of people on this forum. Please feel free to drop in any of the discussions. Let us know what city you are living in . I am in the south end of Puget Sound area in Puyallup.

Hope to see you at one of the upcoming events in the area.
2014-04-14 5:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Hey Anthony!

Welcome! Triathlons are a ton of fun. I hope you enjoy them as much as the rest of us.

Hopefully we'll see you around. I'm fence sitting about Lake Stevens this year.

My advice would be to get a road bike to start. Yes, a mountain bike is heavier, and that will make you stronger, but it's a bit of a different animal. It's a great place to start if that is the only bike you already have. If you are looking to get a bike with the intention of training for triathlons, go for a road bike. And you can very easily compete at triathlons on a road bike. I did my first 4 seasons on my road bike. It's still my favorite, and most used, bike.

-Christina

Edited by MechEChick 2014-04-14 5:37 PM
2014-04-14 5:39 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Welcome.  What part of the State are you in?

I agree with Christina about getting a road bike over a mountain bike especially if you are going to be doing the majority of your riding on the road.

2014-04-14 11:16 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Thank you for the welcomes! I'm currently stationed at Fort Lewis. I was leaning road bike and then read a very "pro" articles about the mountain bike. Trying to weigh the pros and cons of each. I'm currently going for completion the first time I do my first Triathlon. After that I'll start working more on PBs. :D
2014-04-15 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by FitnessDynasty Thank you for the welcomes! I'm currently stationed at Fort Lewis. I was leaning road bike and then read a very "pro" articles about the mountain bike. Trying to weigh the pros and cons of each. I'm currently going for completion the first time I do my first Triathlon. After that I'll start working more on PBs. :D

Unless your triathlon plans include XTerra, then go with the road bike. You'll thank us later.

Ft Lewis isn't too far away (I'm about 3 miles from ericwjacobson in the upper reaches of Puyallup). Feel free to drop into the group rides out of Insipred Ride on Saturdays if you can make it!

2014-04-16 5:00 AM
in reply to: 0

I didn't even know about XTerra. Now you've peaked my interest on that as well. :D Got to get me a bike first. Wish I had picked up this other one I had seen on Bookoo. Looked like a good beginner road bike.

Edited by FitnessDynasty 2014-04-16 5:03 AM
2014-04-18 4:32 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Greetings, Anthony! I, too, am in Washington state, but on the dry side of the mountains, wayyyy north of Spokane. I've been concentrating on biking and swimming because of knee issues, but after a month of physical therapy, I started hitting the treadmill a few nights a week, and I'm heading out to my first 5k fun run this afternoon.

I have a question about road bikes for y'all. I currently have a mountain bike, and that's what I had planned on riding in my first triathlon in six weeks. However, I've not been able to break 10 mph on it (average), and I'm a pretty strong rider. I'm thinking of buying a road bike, but I have a limited budget at the moment. I'm wondering if a vintage Raleigh 10-speed street bike would work better than my 18-speed Schwinn Sierra mountain bike? (I inherited this bike from my son when he died, so it's very special to me.) I can pick one up for about $50 on Craigslist, and add new tubes, tires, brakes, etc. for $70-$100 bucks.

What is y'all's opinion on this? Would I be better off on a vintage 10-speed than a newer 18-speed mountain bike? I haven't tried one out yet because it's a two-hour drive to Spokane to meet with sellers, but I'm hoping to meet up with someone this Sunday.
2014-07-14 3:53 PM
in reply to: burner2

So a quick update, Triathletes!

Took part in my first triathlon this past weekend at the Lakewood SummerFEST Triathlon. It was 0.5mi swim, 14mi bike, 3.1mi run. It was really fun! Got my brother to come out with me as well. We were both just going for finish. Finished in 2hr 6min and he finished in 2hr but I say he didn't really finish because he didn't complete the full swim part (he got kicked in the face and the medical team told him he couldn't finish the swim, so I guess the kick in the face evens it out). Got my next triathlon going on August 16th on Fort Lewis. Can't wait!!!
2014-07-15 10:23 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Awesome! Congrats!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello WA Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

WA BTer Accountability

Started by runrachierun
Views: 1004 Posts: 4

2008-04-23 11:31 AM ultrahip_00

Where to live in WA?

Started by famelec
Views: 1634 Posts: 10

2008-04-09 2:25 PM famelec

anyone still swimming outside in Eastern WA?

Started by c_cic
Views: 1159 Posts: 1

2006-10-09 11:46 AM c_cic

Black Diamond Tri - Seattle, WA

Started by jmeyers
Views: 1496 Posts: 5

2005-09-25 5:15 PM magic

Tacoma WA or Kitsap County WA?

Started by piggpen35
Views: 1167 Posts: 4

2006-05-30 11:17 PM Swimmer3