General Discussion Triathlon Talk » do you ever give unsolicited advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-04-14 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: do you ever give unsolicited advice?
This morning I was in the pool getting my early swim in and noticed a guy get in the lane beside me that I had not noticed before. I started my warm up and I noticed him swim his first length. To sum it up he looked very uncomfortable and was barely able to make it 25 yds before being completely out of breath. He took a little time on the wall and started back. This time he had to stand up about 3/4 of the way back down the lane from being out of breath.

I understood the struggle this guy was having as it has been chronicled on this board too many time to count. A part of me wanted to stop and give him some helpful pointers but I also didn't want to come off as an arrogant pr*ck.

Do you ever stop and give someone help in a situation like this or do you wait for them to come to you?

2014-04-14 10:32 AM
in reply to: clemson05

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: do you ever give unsolicited advice?
Tricky situation. Generally no, I've given them out in the past here an there but only when I see the same person over and over and they "know" me.

If it was just a random dude or girl, nope. In my experience, it isn't received well.
2014-04-14 10:41 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

No. IMHO, 99% of the time it comes across as obnoxious.

2014-04-14 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Only on internet forums..... I would not give advice in that situation unless I was approached.
2014-04-14 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I go back to my golf days: Unless requested, no advice.
2014-04-14 11:05 AM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

Extreme Veteran
No, I don't.

2014-04-14 11:15 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

There have been times I really wanted to when I see someone regularly at the pool floundering but I keep my mouth shut.  Whence you start where do you stop?  If someone asks I'll certainly take the time but it is very unlikely anyone asks.

2014-04-14 11:21 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I would probably try to make myself available to help (ie take a break at the wall with them) but I wouldn't jump into advice giving unless asked. 

2014-04-14 11:34 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Not exactly sure what you would say anyway?  If he was simply a new swimmer and totally out of swim shape and couldn't make it 50 yds without stopping, what can you say?  Train more?   On the other hand, if you both happen to be taking a break at the wall and you exchange "how's it going?" out of general courtesy and he opens up first and says he needs help then the door is open.....

2014-04-14 11:52 AM

As a person who currently flails from one end of the pool to the other, I would be both grateful and deeply embarrassed if someone offered me unsolicited advice in the pool.

The former because I am acutely aware I need the help.

The latter because I am acutely aware that I need the help, and would prefer that we pretend that you don't see me struggling with my 8x25 while you pound out your 2000y workout. I'm already embarrassed that the lifeguard once stopped me in the middle of a lap to ask if I needed help. That's just me, though.
2014-04-14 12:02 PM
in reply to: runbugjones

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

In general no.  I simply don't have the energy.  And for some reason, despite having been in this sport almost 10 years, and having completed 6 IMs, it seems like at every race of any distance people think its my first.  Yeah my body fat is over 2% but still....do you REALLY think a 1st timer would have a $4000 bike with race wheels?  REALLY?  Do I LOOK like I REALLY need help setting up my transition area...mind your own beeswax.  Pisses me off.  If someone asks for help I always help tho.

2014-04-14 12:14 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
There's a guy at my lap pool who swims like a dying minnow. It's physically painful to watch. He wallows along back and forth for a good hour a few times a week. I bite my tongue every time I see him. I just want to say "Dude, that would be so much more satisfying if you'd get in a few coached sessions."
2014-04-14 12:31 PM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Bronze member

Interesting because I have received unsolicited advice in the pool and was very appreciative at the time. It was very simple "would you like some help with your stroke?" Me - YES! The person who asked was a swim instructor and I wound up signing up for his beginning swimming classes.

I always think of that day when I see people struggling in the pool but I never say anything because 1.) I am not a swim instructor and 2.) our Y is full of swim instructors who may not appreciate me giving out free advice . Sometimes beginners will comment about my swimming. I make sure to tell them that I've had lessons and refer them to a class or private instructor. 

2014-04-14 12:44 PM

It depends on the circumstance.

If it's a masters swim and someone in my lane or who's clearly trying to get better has an obvious stroke deficit that they're not noticing, I'll comment on it.

If it's anything else, I won't. Because quite a lot of folks are perfectly happy at their pace, whether it's slow or inefficient or not, and are content with just getting a decent workout. 

2014-04-14 12:46 PM

I don't because I am new and don't have much advice. A guy at the pool a month or so back paused when I was on the wall (probably after watching my legs drag and terrible stroke) and said casually "you training for a tri?". It was such a great opener as it gave me the chance to basically say "yeah" and let it be, or to say "just trying to relearn how to swim". Asking that, or some variation, is much softer than just spitting out something.
2014-04-14 12:51 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Originally posted by trigal38

Interesting because I have received unsolicited advice in the pool and was very appreciative at the time. It was very simple "would you like some help with your stroke?" Me - YES! The person who asked was a swim instructor and I wound up signing up for his beginning swimming classes.

I always think of that day when I see people struggling in the pool but I never say anything because 1.) I am not a swim instructor and 2.) our Y is full of swim instructors who may not appreciate me giving out free advice . Sometimes beginners will comment about my swimming. I make sure to tell them that I've had lessons and refer them to a class or private instructor. 

This.

There have been times when I was struggling so bad I hoped somebody would offer advice. But then again you can't tell who will be receptive.

2014-04-14 1:08 PM
in reply to: DigitalRain

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

The pool is, of course, the one area where this comes up a lot.  I do the same as another person suggested, which is try to time breaks and make myself available if the person looks like they are floundering and may be open to help.   I may also smile or try to engage them (without being creepy) so they know I am approachable.   Usually I hold my tongue unless asked.

I don't really want to spend a bunch of time, but so often there are quick things you can recommend without being overwhelming.    I also think that people may not realize some obvious flaws that you just need another set of eyes to tell you about, like crossing the midline.   

2014-04-14 1:10 PM
in reply to: DigitalRain

User image

Pro

I'll usually give them the "How's it going?" and sort of determine based on their answer & the conversation that follows (if any) if I should say anything. 

When I want help, I'll usually just ask... like "how do you keep your arms so relaxed when you run" or show up to a roadie ride and apologize for being a triathlete  

2014-04-14 1:17 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Sometimes, but I always ask them if they want some advice or a tip first. I've been riding at the velodrome for awhile now, so my skills are decent. There's always a lot of new guys who are strong, but lack skills, so we often end up in the same race or workout. If I notice something obvious and think I can help them, after we get off of the track, I usually ask them, "Hey do you want some advice?" They seem to appreciate it.

2014-04-14 2:45 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Funny you mention this. Just this morning I was in the pool & there was an older guy in the lane next to me. The lane was marked for lap swim, but he was basically aqua jogging & the other guy in his lane was having to constantly swim around him. I wanted to tell him that only one lane over was the free swim lane & he could jog all he wanted without getting in this poor guy's way. I kept my mouth shut & figured it wasn't my lane, and if the guy doing laps had no issue with it, why should I?

Good thing I did. The guy doing laps was his son (or son-in-law) as I overheard their conversation at the wall after one of my intervals. It would have been really awkward if I piped up & said "Hey man, move over. You know that lane is for lap swimming?" & then ended up with both guys pissed at me for offering my two cents when they weren't wanted or needed.
2014-04-14 3:31 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I'm surprised at the number of flat out "no's" to your question. 

When I first got into the sport I was struggling to maintain good form and needed some help.  Well, I needed alot of help.  Roger, a local legend in our area, was in the pool doing his sets and was watching me at the same time.  He asked "would you mind if I gave you a couple of tips?" 

Roger has helped me become a FOP swimmer over the last 3 years and I would have been embarrassed to ask for help.

Now I'm the guy that asks that same questoin and I get at least a 90% positive response.  The ones that don't want help are not douchey about it either. 

Interesting thread though.

2014-04-14 4:03 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I got stopped a few times earlier this year when I was learning to swim. I really enjoyed the advice that was given and I definetly didn't ask for it. In the pool you can see the people that are there doing their own thing whether their stroke is beautiful or horrific they don't care. Then there's the guy swimming 25 or 50s spending a lot of time watching others , I suppose that was me and why I got stopped and offered advice.

A few lessons and tips from strangers and I'm up to swimmimg 2:00/100M - I'd offer advice (if I had more to give
2014-04-14 4:40 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I learned a long time ago that if someone wants your advice they will ask for it. If they do I'm happy to provide pointers and have done so many times. But if they don't, ain't no skin off my teeth (as long as they stay on their side of the lane).
2014-04-14 4:43 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Once, during a race. Won't ever do it again.
2014-04-14 6:22 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I don't think I've ever given unsolicited advice in that situation.  IMO, unsolicited advice is more likely not to be received well compared to if you just strike up a conversation about how things are going and be friendly.  Sometimes that leads to them asking for tips.  Sometimes it doesn't.  Either way, I'm not pushing the matter.

I've had more people approach me and ask for advice after seeing what my swimming looks like.  At that point I give them some suggestions, and offer them my card.  This happened to me a few months ago with one guy in particular, and we became facebook friends.  Three weeks ago he came on board with me as a coached athlete.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » do you ever give unsolicited advice? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Ready to give up thoughts of doing my first Tri

Started by ndame88
Views: 1651 Posts: 17

2012-04-25 8:53 PM ndame88

Give unsolicited advice?

Started by DiOnMaui
Views: 1612 Posts: 21

2011-02-13 7:10 PM Paddy1

Giving in and doing drills

Started by nxm165
Views: 1815 Posts: 19

2010-03-01 12:37 PM TriMyBest

Unsolicited swimming advice worked today

Started by TriPatrick
Views: 779 Posts: 1

2009-10-21 7:47 PM TriPatrick

Unsolicited advice? Pages: 1 2

Started by neuronet
Views: 2435 Posts: 38

2009-09-03 3:18 PM neuronet
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Many of us race, and some race a lot, but when was the last time you gave something back to the sport of triathlon?