General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do I wear for a sprint triathlon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-09 1:29 AM

Omaha
Subject: What do I wear for a sprint triathlon?
I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good pair of shorts that I can swim, bike, and run in. I've seen some advertised on the internet but wanted some feedback. Also at this point I am training for a half Ironman in 10 months and I was curious as to how well these things work for long distance, or should I plan on changing in the longer events. Another factor is I have not planned any in the next year that I will need a wetsuit for, they are all warm tri's. Thank You, Troy.

2006-08-09 3:32 AM
in reply to: #506222

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: What do I wear for a sprint triathlon?
Tri shorts...used for all three events. Like a jammer swimshort, but with a little bit of padding. I use these with a tri top (again made for all three). A step up from this would be the full trisuit...almost the same as tri short and tri top except it's one peice. Go to a tri website like all3sports.com and shop around, there many variations on this theme.

http://www.sportsbasement.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=8773...
2006-08-09 7:03 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Tri shorts like said above. You can swim, bike, and run in them. With a wetsuit, you will just wear it underneath.

I've used them up to a 1/2 this last March. Will be using one in a full in Nov. It's up to preference if you want to change in the longer distances. Many people can ride 112 miles in just speedos and some have to double up with tri shorts and bike shorts, and taking the bike shorts off at t2 for the run.

I personally wear desoto brand, similar to http://trisports.com/deso4potrish.html

You get a discount from trisports because you are member here.
2006-08-14 12:31 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
For sprints and Oly I would recommend a tri suit.  I personally wear a Zoot (http://trisports.com/zomeulra20.html)  I love the way it feels in the swim and bike.  I would recommend trying on several different suits to determine the best fit.  I plan on wearing it in my half coming up. 
2006-08-14 2:00 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
What do you have currently?

I wore one of the BT tri-shorts for my HIM this month, and it worked fine.

My brother has worn a pair of bike shorts for several sprints. If you've got jammers, you could do a sprint in them. You wouldn't need to buy anything specific for the sprint, but you'd want to practice with anything you'd plan to wear for a HIM.
2006-08-15 8:07 AM

Omaha
Thanks for the input!

Right now I have been swimming in regular old swim trunks, biking in a pair of non-padded, non-biking shorts and I run in running shorts. I haven't participated in any sprints yet so I haven't needed something to do all three in and I haven't started much transition training except a little from bike to run and then I usually bike in my running shorts. But the bikes have been no more than 12-15 miles on those days. The tri shorts seem to be what I'm looking for, I'll do a sprint or two first but my main focus is on the HIM. I have a marathon in 9 weeks and that's my first hurdle. Isn't that great that I look at a marathon as a prep race for a triathlon.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do I wear for a sprint triathlon? Rss Feed