Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Do you think she ran or not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2014-04-23 1:25 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Do you think she ran or not?

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Jason N

Maybe she was doing that Boston Marathon World Run...

This year, the Boston Athletic Association, in partnership with John Hancock and Manulife Financial, are inviting people from around the world to participate in their own Boston Marathon. Maybe it’s not 26.2 miles, and maybe it’s not in Boston, but there is a marathoner in all of us. We encourage you to bring it out – and to be a part of the first ever Boston Marathon World Run.

http://www.bostonmarathonworldrun.org/about

That's what I did.......it wasn't easy....and mine was all downhill.  3:52:47 or somehting like that.

I just checked the results...didn't find you.  What color was the finisher's shirt?

My race didn't give out any schwag, or have electirc timing, or witnesses spectators, or aid stations......i don't think I'll do it again.

I think you should write a yelp review of the race.

I looked to see if I had any pictures from after the race.....the only one I had was of my dog who ran the last 10K with me.

Man that is one ugly looking rabbit.

2014-04-23 1:59 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Elite

Another twist to the mystery--and I swear I'm not obsessed with this--but if I can check things out I will. Months ago she mentioned her nephew was going to run the marathon with her.  Makes sense, he was a cross country runner in high school one town over.  I coach our school's cross country team so I know her nephew.  At the beginning of the week last week I asked her if 'Johnny' was ready for his first marathon too.  She said 'Oh, no, he's into this bike thing now so he's going to do the bike tour instead'.  I thought that was odd given he'd put so many training miles into this and then decide to do the bike tour, but again, whatever, what's it to me. Yesterday I realized he would have had to register as well--a bib number was required, cyclists got a goodie bag as well.  Looked him up and no record of him registered anywhere either--not for the bike or the marathon.

2014-04-23 2:00 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Expert
witness protection
2014-04-23 2:36 PM
in reply to: ajusf16

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

How about looking at the pictures of people who finished in the same time frame as her to see if she's in the picture, too?  If it's a big race, it might be hard with staggered starting times, etc, but worth a shot.  If you think she's probably accurate with the time, and if she just bandited, she would be in the pictures.     Or if you're really obsessed you could look at all the pictures

2014-04-23 3:47 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Veteran
Minnesota
It is interesting. At first I just wondered if she was just faking the whole running thing, or at least exagerating. But you have run with her before, so that adds to the mystery. Most of the post race evidence suggests she didn't do it, but I am the kind that wants to find out for sure. If she didn't, but says she did, I would be interested as to why. Keep us posted.
2014-04-23 3:52 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
This is sort of a longshot-- but is it possible that she's one of those people who thinks that every running race, regardless of distance is a "marathon"? Maybe she did a 10k somewhere and doesn't understand that a marathon is a particular distance? The fact that she's also so vague about the "bike tour" thing that the kid is doing makes me wonder if she knows what she's even talking about.

2014-04-23 3:56 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

This is sort of a longshot-- but is it possible that she's one of those people who thinks that every running race, regardless of distance is a "marathon"? Maybe she did a 10k somewhere and doesn't understand that a marathon is a particular distance? The fact that she's also so vague about the "bike tour" thing that the kid is doing makes me wonder if she knows what she's even talking about.

I'm still surprised at how often I hear that. After doing a 10k run a friend asked "so how was your marathon?". After correcting her on the distance she just said "whatever, it's all just running right?".

2014-04-23 4:09 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by ingleshteechur

Another twist to the mystery--and I swear I'm not obsessed with this--but if I can check things out I will. Months ago she mentioned her nephew was going to run the marathon with her.  Makes sense, he was a cross country runner in high school one town over.  I coach our school's cross country team so I know her nephew.  At the beginning of the week last week I asked her if 'Johnny' was ready for his first marathon too.  She said 'Oh, no, he's into this bike thing now so he's going to do the bike tour instead'.  I thought that was odd given he'd put so many training miles into this and then decide to do the bike tour, but again, whatever, what's it to me. Yesterday I realized he would have had to register as well--a bib number was required, cyclists got a goodie bag as well.  Looked him up and no record of him registered anywhere either--not for the bike or the marathon.

A family of bandits perhaps?
2014-04-23 4:16 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Elite

Originally posted by tech_geezer

A family of bandits perhaps?

Maybe it's genetic! 

2014-04-23 4:21 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I've tried typing this five different ways and every time it sounds snarky, but I don't mean it that way :)

Why not just ask her what's up? "I didn't see you listed in the finishers--was there a problem with your timing chip?"

If she didn't lie, she'll have a valid reason.  If she is lying, that's her problem, and you can just write her and the whole thing off.

2014-04-23 4:54 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Denver, CO

I'm starting to think this issue has risen to the level of "First World Problems".  Not that I'm not following it closely, totally curious myself....

2014-04-23 4:56 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite

I could just ask I suppose. If she is lying it will set up for awkward interactions for the next three years as she's also my daughter's basketball coach. I dunno, the whole thing is just weird.

2014-04-23 4:59 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Elite

Originally posted by laffinrock

I'm starting to think this issue has risen to the level of "First World Problems".  Not that I'm not following it closely, totally curious myself....

Oh I totally agree, but it's been fun sleuthing.  Like I said in my OP, what's it to me whether she actually ran or not.

2014-04-24 1:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
I'm so curious right now. I'll be back for an update. Was she walking like an oompa loompa when you saw her? I swear my husband and I both were for 3 days after our marathon.

Edited by Blanda 2014-04-24 1:49 AM
2014-04-24 6:36 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by tech_geezer Do I think she ran? Probably not. People lie all the time about all kinds of things. That is the simplest, most likely explanation of the facts that you do know. Second likeliest is that she bandited the race. A possibility. Third most likeliest is that the timing system failed to record her and the results don't list her because of the lack of a chip signal.

Even if I had ironclad evidence that Sally did not participate, I would still play along if it ever came up again. I would never initiate another conversation on the topic, but if she or someone else brought it up, I would let her story stand on its own merit. It is her lie to sustain. Telling the truth is so much easier in the long run (pun? sorrt of?). What is there to be gained or lost by anyone to call her out? A bit of embarrassment for Sally if she is forced to admit the lie. A little ego boosting for those who really did put in the effort. Plus, there is a great deal to be lost by someone calling Sally out on it and by some chance she did run and the lack of evidence in the results is a mistake.

I might offer to run with her the next time she runs a race, just to help her with her running and her honesty. TW

Or, have some fun with it.  Bring up the topic of the race every chance you have around her.  Start with mundane things like something fun going on at an aid station, how they could have used more port-o-potties, etc, then gradually make the reminiscing more silly over time, eventually making up crazy things like the elephant that escaped from the zoo and ran out onto the course.  It could be fun to see how long she plays along, and if she ever calls you out for making things up, because she was there and didn't see what you describe, or if she just starts avoiding you.  

This kind of obsessive, non-stop talking about an event can only go down one road: it will turn her into a triathlete.
2014-04-24 6:45 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I could just ask I suppose. If she is lying it will set up for awkward interactions for the next three years as she's also my daughter's basketball coach. I dunno, the whole thing is just weird.

Am I the only one who would find it concerning that my child's coach appears to be dishonest about an athletic event?  In other circumstances, I'd let it go, but in light of this, personally I would need to know the truth.

2014-04-24 7:58 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

the problem I see with this is that she offered a time. So unless she runs and incredibly slow 10k or incredibly fast marathon the timing would not add up.
2014-04-24 8:11 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

Am I the only one who would find it concerning that my child's coach appears to be dishonest about an athletic event?  In other circumstances, I'd let it go, but in light of this, personally I would need to know the truth.

You are not the only one. I see the problem here.
2014-04-24 8:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
There are people who are pathological liars. I believe I've had one as a student, as he was always talking on and on about things that could not possibly be true. He never appeared to pause or think when telling these stories, so it was convincing to his more gullible peers. In some cases, I thought he had convinced himself they were true. His dad was a runner and occasionally I would see the son running with his father. One Monday he told me he'd done 27 km with his dad on Sunday. (Of course, he didn't look sore or tired!) I asked him how long it took and, without giving it any thought, he gave me a precise answer (down to the second) that would have been reasonable..... for his dad. About 10:30 pace--I worked it out later. I did at some point ask the dad about how long they ran together, and It turned out the child had never run more than 5K with him. In another conversation I found out that Dad had been injured recently and hadn't been doing runs of over 10 km or so for several months. My student must have either worked out the story in advance or remembered the time and distance from looking at Dad's Garmin, or something.

if it matters to you as an issue of integrity of an adult who works with your daughter, I would bring it up by inquiring about the timing chip, as others have suggested. But a practiced liar will have a story ready and waiting and be able to deliver it convincingly.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-04-24 8:54 AM
2014-04-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by TheClaaaw

You are not the only one. I see the problem here.

Yep, me too. 

2014-04-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro

If you find out she lied you should paiint a scarlet M on her front door.

2014-04-24 10:36 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Chicago
Don't ask her! Because if she has a valid reason, it'll end the mystery, and the show will end.
2014-04-24 10:59 AM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by laffinrock

Oh I totally agree, but it's been fun sleuthing.  Like I said in my OP, what's it to me whether she actually ran or not.

As the results are posted online and provide limited information about the runners (name, age category, city), maybe she's extremely protective of her personal information and intentionally ripped the timing strip off of her bib.

Particularly if the results link directly to the race photos.

But, based on everything else you've mentioned, it does sound like she didn't race.

2014-04-24 12:03 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Elite

Ok, here's the update.  Before I asked her this morning I thought I'd do one more bit of sleuthing.  I looked up the men and women who finished right around her time and went to their race pictures from the finish line.  The closest time to hers was a gentleman who finished with no one remotely close to him.

So, this morning I stopped by her office and admittedly took the passive approach and said "Hey, I found something you might want to check out.  I wanted to see what the splits were on a 4:15 finish so I thought I'd look up your splits for reference and you weren't listed at all.  Do you think your timing chip malfunctioned or something?"    She hesitated slightly and said "Hey, thanks.  I haven't even looked at the race site or anything so I'll contact someone and see what's going on."  I said I just wanted to make sure she knew and headed to my room!  So...who the heck knows.  I find it a bit strange by now she wouldn't have looked up her official time, age group placing, all that stuff for what was her first marathon but at this point, I'm out. 

In response to the concern about her coaching--well, yeah there's a concern. However, she's an excellent bball coach.  Will this make me much more cautious about her, absolutely. 

2014-04-24 12:25 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I never really considered the fact that I lived in Boston for 10 years - moved out 14 years ago... it was only three years ago that I personally knew someone who ran that did not run bandit.

I kind of forgot that when I lived there, bandit seemed like the only option for running Boston in my world.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Do you think she ran or not? Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

My dog thinks she's a triathlete

Started by GrilloOriginal
Views: 1124 Posts: 17

2009-08-30 2:12 PM Nightstar2009

Do you think she is a blonde?

Started by Jungle Jenn
Views: 1501 Posts: 7

2009-04-05 10:39 PM comet the dog

WTF was she thinking? Pages: 1 2

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 2576 Posts: 46

2007-12-21 9:39 AM Donto

Michele thought she could fly?

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 524 Posts: 2

2007-11-07 12:44 PM WaterDog66

I thought she was a little fishy...

Started by RGRBILL
Views: 810 Posts: 3

2005-06-08 12:53 PM RachelRichardson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.