General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing IronMan gear when not an Ironman, yet.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-04-27 11:17 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Wearing IronMan gear when not an Ironman, yet....

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by Left Brain You have mad picture posting skills. LMAO
It's like trying to get out of a paper bag.

LOL - I see it now.  Look, if my knee doesn't get straightened out soon that guy and I can swap clothes. HAHAHA!!!

2014-04-27 11:20 PM
in reply to: cbrave

User image

Pro

Originally posted by cbrave. Since I assume everyone else thinks exactly like it do, don't be surprised if I ask you about your race if I see you in a location specific IM gear..

Good to know.....from here on out my standard response to that question will be, "you're from Canada aren't you"....and then I'll walk away.

2014-04-28 8:43 AM
in reply to: Tootshibbard

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Tootshibbard

This thread is more tongue in cheek. However I was on Amazon and I was thinking about getting an Iroman visor. So far the most I have finished with an Olympic distance.

So, do you think its kosher to buy and wear Ironman gear or do you think that its only an honor that should be reserved for finishers? Is the feeling akin to the Stanley Cup in the NHL where players dare not touch it until they win it.

When I entered my first IM a friend gave me a Kona, 25th anniversary visor that he had laying around the house. I said thanks and promptly put it in the back of the closet. I had this superstition (like the Stanley cup with hockey players) that I should not wear it until I had actually finished the race. Just a personal thing for me.

If you want to wear it, I see no issues with doing so. It is not some scared thing. Just a personal decision. No big deal either way.
2014-04-28 9:30 AM
in reply to: cbrave

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by cbrave

I personally don't wear a race shirt unless I raced that specific race. I would love to have a "Bare Buns Fun Run" shirt but that has to be earned and I'm not willing to pay the price.

Since I assume everyone else thinks exactly like it do, don't be surprised if I ask you about your race if I see you in a location specific IM gear. I may or may not risk a conversation if you have "BBFR" gear on.

Also, like many kids born in the 70's I've noticed that nearly all high school pictures for my generation are filled with classmates who crewed at Harvard. According to one picture, I attended Oxford around the age is 16.

I used to have a Harvard sweatshirt that I bought in Boston years ago. When people asked me if I went to Harvard I told them "Yes, and I bought a sweatshirt.".
2014-04-28 9:41 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by cbrave. Since I assume everyone else thinks exactly like it do, don't be surprised if I ask you about your race if I see you in a location specific IM gear..

Good to know.....from here on out my standard response to that question will be, "you're from Canada aren't you"....and then I'll walk away.

I understand Canadians love engaging with but not too long so I think you have a good plan.
2014-04-28 9:47 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by cbrave

Also, like many kids born in the 70's I've noticed that nearly all high school pictures for my generation are filled with classmates who crewed at Harvard. According to one picture, I attended Oxford around the age is 16.

You are correct in the mid 80's college sweetshirts were really popular from a fashion standpoint. I had several with the University seal in the middle.

But sometimes a shirt is just as shirt. There is a female lifeguard that wears a football sweatshirt from the D3 school that I went to. I natually assumed she either went there / goes there or her boyfriend / brother etc plays from them. I asked her one day. Nope it was just a shirt she liked the color.

edit: for the OP I wear an Ironman watch

Edited by Sidney Porter 2014-04-28 9:48 AM

2014-04-28 9:51 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Personally, I would not wear Ironman shirts, hats or anything until I became an Ironman. The ironman watch to me is different because it does not give the perception that you are an Ironman like wearing the shirts does.

I do not see the same situation applying to wearing sports teams jerseys. I go to the Grizzlies games,and buy my tickets and support the team, but no one has ever come up and asked me if I play for them

2014-04-28 9:54 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

Veteran
I have no problem with it. Clothing can signify a dream, be a gift from someone you supported as they did the Ironman, or just signifies an interest in IM. I think it's silly when people try to keep the clothing to finishers only. Finishers already have the medals, the pics, the nice legs, the tan, the finisher hat, and finisher marked clothing. Others can wear the branded clothing. Now, if you wore an IM finisher shirt, put an IM emblem on your car, and got the tat, you've crossed the line.
2014-04-28 9:57 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

Veteran

If you want to wear it, I see no issues with doing so. It is not some scared thing. Just a personal decision. No big deal either way.

I actually do find it scary.
2014-04-28 10:06 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Regular
My uncle ordered the grab bag 3 hat deal from Headsweats, and an IMLP hat was in it. On Saturday at our Half Marathon expo, he wore it. At least 4 people asked him if he did the event. He told them that he just ordered them from Headsweats. He later commented to me that he was starting to feel like a poser for wearing it.

YMMV
2014-04-28 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I wouldn't wear race specific stuff unless I was at the event cheering on someone.  My wife wears some IM stuff but I think her day of running all over Tempe at IMAZ following me around earned her that right. 

Some non-race specific Ironaman stuff is very practical.  I like the head phones, the timex watch (I use it all the time when not Garmining), my kids have a couple of t-shirts too. 

I don't equate it to my favorite NHL / NFL / MLB team jersey's but I get his point. 

The main difference is that we all can sign up and at least get in the game of an Ironman branded event.  Regardless of training, fitness levels, equipment, etc, we can all at least say we started one which is not the same as the pro sports.

However, I wear Iowa Hawkeye stuff all the time cuz God Da~~it, I'm part of that team!!!!  :-)

2014-04-28 10:19 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Pro

I have been inspired to buy an IM finsiher shirt.  I can't wait until someone asks me if I did the race and I say, "no", and just stand there staring.  What would come next from them?

2014-04-28 10:24 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I have been inspired to buy an IM finsiher shirt.  I can't wait until someone asks me if I did the race and I say, "no", and just stand there staring.  What would come next from them?

Then we would be standing there staring at each other, casue I would not say a thing either.

2014-04-28 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

My cousin bought a huge IM Window decal and has a couple of shirts.  We like to mock each other over our accomplishments (he's into MMA and Marathons)

He has no intention of ever doing a triathlon but loves the conversations.  Not only does he say yes that he did an Ironman, he tells  a different story about the race every time he's asked.  I heard him tell one guy in a group that he finishied in 15 hours then the next guy, standing right next to the first, he told him 8 hours "and some change". 

It's actually very entertaining.  Especially when someone who has done an IM gets all butt hurt about him posing. 

2014-04-28 10:34 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Pro

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

My cousin bought a huge IM Window decal and has a couple of shirts.  We like to mock each other over our accomplishments (he's into MMA and Marathons)

He has no intention of ever doing a triathlon but loves the conversations.  Not only does he say yes that he did an Ironman, he tells  a different story about the race every time he's asked.  I heard him tell one guy in a group that he finishied in 15 hours then the next guy, standing right next to the first, he told him 8 hours "and some change". 

It's actually very entertaining.  Especially when someone who has done an IM gets all butt hurt about him posing. 

That's awesome. HAHAHAHA!!

2014-04-28 10:39 AM

Slight high jack
Are Xterra wetsuits brands owned by the Xterra offroad tri company? Because I think a lot of people wear the wetsuits that have never raced in an xterra race. Their logos see to differ.

2014-04-28 10:44 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
I wear a Garmin but have never done a Garmin race!! :-)

Seriously though, I wear a Timex ironman race when I swim and I have only ever done a non-ironman branded full distance race. How sad is that? ;-)

Even more seriously, wear what you want. If nothing else, its a nice conversation starter:

Ironman guy: What IRONMAN race did you do?
You: None yet. I just bought the gear
Ironman guy: Sorry, I dont have time to talk to you- I am training for my next ironman race.
2014-04-28 12:45 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by sheesleeva

I actually do find it scary.

Yep. Three hours later and I caught that faux pas in my post but you can't edit after thirty minutes. Alas.
2014-04-28 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
with my last two timex watches the small ring that keeps the excess band from flapping broke

I am sad
2014-04-28 12:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by ajusf16

with my last two timex watches the small ring that keeps the excess band from flapping broke

I am sad

Call Timex. They will get you a new one. Sometimes free. Sometimes really cheap, depending on who you get on the phone.....

Edited by wannabefaster 2014-04-28 12:51 PM
2014-04-28 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by ajusf16

I am sad

Call Timex. They will get you a new one. Sometimes free. Sometimes really cheap, depending on who you get on the phone.....
ok

2014-04-28 1:00 PM

User image

Love the analogy! GO HAWKS!
But I would say the only thing that is untouchable until you actually finish is the M dot tattoo. Otherwise it's just another brand, so go on a wear it
2014-04-28 1:20 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've got Timex Ironman watches, Profile Design Ironman aerobars and used to have Michelin Ironman tires on my bike.  Hate to think of the mark-up on that stuff  that went into WTC's pockets.

I guess I would draw the line wearing anything with "Finisher" on it.  Just like I'm superstitious about not wearing race shirts until after I've actually finished the race.

Mark

2014-04-28 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by wannabefaster
Originally posted by ajusf16 with my last two timex watches the small ring that keeps the excess band from flapping broke I am sad

whoa, why didn't i do that!  i broke mine a week ago and just bought a new one!

2014-04-28 3:21 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by RedCorvette

I guess I would draw the line wearing anything with "Finisher" on it.  Just like I'm superstitious about not wearing race shirts until after I've actually finished the race.

Mark  

I'm much the same in that  I'll stay away from anything saying "finisher" or anything race specific unless I've done the race, but I don't care at all about generic M-Dot gear.  When it comes right down to it though, it's your own personal preference.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing IronMan gear when not an Ironman, yet.... Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

To Ironman or not to Ironman, that is the question

Started by menglo
Views: 1952 Posts: 18

2009-11-25 6:13 AM rc63413

To wear or not To wear (Wet Suit) PLEASE HELP

Started by ditchdoc
Views: 1288 Posts: 8

2008-10-11 4:10 AM monkeyboy64

Ironman training plan for someone not doing an ironman

Started by amyro1234
Views: 2544 Posts: 23

2008-06-06 12:53 PM David tri's

To Ironman or to not Ironman

Started by iwantotri
Views: 1954 Posts: 21

2006-10-15 11:23 PM swbkrun

To Ironman or to not Ironman

Started by iwantotri
Views: 765 Posts: 2

2006-10-13 4:55 AM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : October 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
Do you have your first triathlon coming up? This article will give you a few tips on what to wear for your triathlon.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?

date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.