General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing IronMan gear when not an Ironman, yet.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-05-14 11:53 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Wearing IronMan gear when not an Ironman, yet....
Originally posted by Left Brain

That would be devastating to me.

And we wouldnt want to be devestated now would we? :P

2014-05-14 11:55 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by bcagle25
Because the general public never looks at triathletes a bit funny. *rolls eyes*

I said it once and I'll say it again, its threads like this that show that triathletes take themselves a bit too seriously sometimes. Arguing if its justifiable for someone to wear IM gear is a bit....ridiculous

Honestly I am not convinced the general public is even aware triathletes exist, let alone have their own subculture.

If you are wearing IM finisher gear around and you havent finished that particular race, I certainly wouldnt stop you but I would question your motives since you are probably doing it specifically to start a thread about it on this site or on ST
2014-05-14 12:04 PM
in reply to: noofus

User image

Pro

Originally posted by noofus
Originally posted by bcagle25 Because the general public never looks at triathletes a bit funny. *rolls eyes* I said it once and I'll say it again, its threads like this that show that triathletes take themselves a bit too seriously sometimes. Arguing if its justifiable for someone to wear IM gear is a bit....ridiculous
Honestly I am not convinced the general public is even aware triathletes exist, let alone have their own subculture. If you are wearing IM finisher gear around and you havent finished that particular race, I certainly wouldnt stop you but I would question your motives since you are probably doing it specifically to start a thread about it on this site or on ST

I would do it specifically to have people who do triathlon ask me about it.....and then watch them when I say no.  Free entertainment.

2014-05-14 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by bcagle25 Because the general public never looks at triathletes a bit funny. *rolls eyes* I said it once and I'll say it again, its threads like this that show that triathletes take themselves a bit too seriously sometimes. Arguing if its justifiable for someone to wear IM gear is a bit....ridiculous
Honestly I am not convinced the general public is even aware triathletes exist, let alone have their own subculture. If you are wearing IM finisher gear around and you havent finished that particular race, I certainly wouldnt stop you but I would question your motives since you are probably doing it specifically to start a thread about it on this site or on ST

I would do it specifically to have people who do triathlon ask me about it.....and then watch them when I say no.  Free entertainment.

I guess I just see it as a really weird form of entertainment. Like I said, if I were this particular situation, my reaction would pretty much just be a raised eyebrow and shaking my head. Not because I somehow dont think you "deserve to wear it" but because its obvious you were doing for the sole purpose of screwing with people. Which can certainly be funny, but I always wonder why.

Trolling in real life instead of just on a message board
2014-05-14 12:25 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Or their knowledge is limited.

"I'm doing a triathlon this weekend"

"oh, the one in Hawaii?"....

It's ALWAYS the one in Hawaii

2014-05-14 12:28 PM

User image

Pro

I guess I just see it as a really weird form of entertainment. Like I said, if I were this particular situation, my reaction would pretty much just be a raised eyebrow and shaking my head. Not because I somehow dont think you "deserve to wear it" but because its obvious you were doing for the sole purpose of screwing with people. Which can certainly be funny, but I always wonder why. Trolling in real life instead of just on a message board

Probably some truth to that....but the other truth is that it's weird to think you have to "earn the right" to wear a t-shirt.  Maybe that's because after all the hard work, that's all you really earned......a t-shirt.  I don't know.  Obviously, since I spend a fair amount of time with peoplke who do triathlon,  I have friends who have done IM's......I get tired of hearing about it.   I can't figure out why they don't see my eyes glaze over or wonder why i start looking for a way to get down the road and away from them.

I've got some IM pint beer glasses that were on sale for a buck at a race I was at.  I bought 12 of them because you can't have too many pint beer glasses, and a buck is cheap.  I had some guys over one night after a workout and one of them says, "did you do an IM?" when I pass out the glasses and beers......now this guy had known me for 4 or 5 years, and knew damn well I hadn't done an IM.  I said, "no, stupid, but you've done 3 of them so drink up." 

2014-05-14 12:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Because the general public never looks at triathletes a bit funny. *rolls eyes*

I said it once and I'll say it again, its threads like this that show that triathletes take themselves a bit too seriously sometimes. Arguing if its justifiable for someone to wear IM gear is a bit....ridiculous

Honestly I am not convinced the general public is even aware triathletes exist, let alone have their own subculture.

If you are wearing IM finisher gear around and you havent finished that particular race, I certainly wouldnt stop you but I would question your motives since you are probably doing it specifically to start a thread about it on this site or on ST

what if I wore it b/c my significant other did one and I was supporting her? or maybe she gave hers to me b/c she thought i was just as much an ironman as she was for putting up with all her training for so long

FWIW, I gave both my medals to my parents and my finisher shirt to my mother. Neither of them have done a WTC IM race.

Now lets get onto the real topic, people that wear those stupid bracelets forever to show off and give reason to talk about their race to anyone and everyone.

Edited by bcagle25 2014-05-14 12:35 PM
2014-05-14 12:31 PM

User image

Pro

what if I wore it b/c my significant other did one and I was supporting her? or maybe she gave hers to me b/c she thought i was just as much an ironman as she was for putting up with all her training for so long FWIW, I gave both my medals to my parents and my finisher shirt to my mother. Neither of them have done a WTC IM race. Now lets get onto the real topic, people that wear those stupid bracelets forever to show off and give reason to talk about their race to anyone and everyone.

Wait.....I can't wear the bracelet?

2014-05-14 12:48 PM

User image

Finisher gear (meaning stuff that says "Finisher" on it) should obviously only be worn by finishers. Anything else is just a show of support for the brand. There are however, exceptions to this based on tradition. For example, the Boston Marathon jacket is traditionally only worn by finishers of that race. That jacket does not say "finisher" on it but it is pretty well established over decades of tradition that if you are wearing that jacket then you are likely a finisher.

I think Ironman wants nothing more but to see everybody and anybody wearing their gear. They could care less if they are finishers or not. This is why when you go to ironmanstore.com the Finisher gear is a small percentage of the overall gear.

Also, Ironman is a brand and with WTC now expanding to marathons (see WTC acquisition of Auckland Marathon) it is increasingly becoming a sport brand like the sports apparel companies. In my view this is unfortunate but it is the reality. Ironman, in my mind, should mean140.6 of 2.4 swim, 112 bike and 26.2 run, regardless of the brand of the race (i.e. Vineman or Roth). WTC, in their marketing prowess, is doing everything they can to make Ironman a proprietary item, tightly controlled, that can be applied to anything they so desire even if it has nothing to do with 140.6.

So, if you really want to show off, you would probably be better served by wearing something that spells out the distances of 140.6 'cause "Ironman" by itself might as well mean "Nike".
2014-05-14 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
what if I wore it b/c my significant other did one and I was supporting her? or maybe she gave hers to me b/c she thought i was just as much an ironman as she was for putting up with all her training for so long

FWIW, I gave both my medals to my parents and my finisher shirt to my mother. Neither of them have done a WTC IM race.

Now lets get onto the real topic, people that wear those stupid bracelets forever to show off and give reason to talk about their race to anyone and everyone.

I think you misunderstand my position on the shirt thing. My position is "I really dont care, but I question your motives if you do it for the troll factor".

As for that bracelet... hell, I couldnt wait to cut the damn thing off. After wearing it for 4 days I was ready to shred the thing to pieces after I got all my junk out of transition.
2014-05-14 12:53 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Lock_N_Load Finisher gear (meaning stuff that says "Finisher" on it) should obviously only be worn by finishers. Anything else is just a show of support for the brand. There are however, exceptions to this based on tradition. For example, the Boston Marathon jacket is traditionally only worn by finishers of that race. That jacket does not say "finisher" on it but it is pretty well established over decades of tradition that if you are wearing that jacket then you are likely a finisher. I think Ironman wants nothing more but to see everybody and anybody wearing their gear. They could care less if they are finishers or not. This is why when you go to ironmanstore.com the Finisher gear is a small percentage of the overall gear. Also, Ironman is a brand and with WTC now expanding to marathons (see WTC acquisition of Auckland Marathon) it is increasingly becoming a sport brand like the sports apparel companies. In my view this is unfortunate but it is the reality. Ironman, in my mind, should mean140.6 of 2.4 swim, 112 bike and 26.2 run, regardless of the brand of the race (i.e. Vineman or Roth). WTC, in their marketing prowess, is doing everything they can to make Ironman a proprietary item, tightly controlled, that can be applied to anything they so desire even if it has nothing to do with 140.6. So, if you really want to show off, you would probably be better served by wearing something that spells out the distances of 140.6 'cause "Ironman" by itself might as well mean "Nike".

Great, now I'm gpoing to have to buy a 140.6 FINISHER shirt.  There is no end to the madness.

2014-05-14 12:55 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25 what if I wore it b/c my significant other did one and I was supporting her? or maybe she gave hers to me b/c she thought i was just as much an ironman as she was for putting up with all her training for so long FWIW, I gave both my medals to my parents and my finisher shirt to my mother. Neither of them have done a WTC IM race. Now lets get onto the real topic, people that wear those stupid bracelets forever to show off and give reason to talk about their race to anyone and everyone.
I think you misunderstand my position on the shirt thing. My position is "I really dont care, but I question your motives if you do it for the troll factor". As for that bracelet... hell, I couldnt wait to cut the damn thing off. After wearing it for 4 days I was ready to shred the thing to pieces after I got all my junk out of transition.

I always wear my hospital bracelet for months after I have surgery too.....if someone asks me if I've been in the hospital I just look at them and say no. 

2014-05-14 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Lock_N_Load Finisher gear (meaning stuff that says "Finisher" on it) should obviously only be worn by finishers. Anything else is just a show of support for the brand. There are however, exceptions to this based on tradition. For example, the Boston Marathon jacket is traditionally only worn by finishers of that race. That jacket does not say "finisher" on it but it is pretty well established over decades of tradition that if you are wearing that jacket then you are likely a finisher. I think Ironman wants nothing more but to see everybody and anybody wearing their gear. They could care less if they are finishers or not. This is why when you go to ironmanstore.com the Finisher gear is a small percentage of the overall gear. Also, Ironman is a brand and with WTC now expanding to marathons (see WTC acquisition of Auckland Marathon) it is increasingly becoming a sport brand like the sports apparel companies. In my view this is unfortunate but it is the reality. Ironman, in my mind, should mean140.6 of 2.4 swim, 112 bike and 26.2 run, regardless of the brand of the race (i.e. Vineman or Roth). WTC, in their marketing prowess, is doing everything they can to make Ironman a proprietary item, tightly controlled, that can be applied to anything they so desire even if it has nothing to do with 140.6. So, if you really want to show off, you would probably be better served by wearing something that spells out the distances of 140.6 'cause "Ironman" by itself might as well mean "Nike".

Great, now I'm gpoing to have to buy a 140.6 FINISHER shirt.  There is no end to the madness.

Just get the tattoo with the logo, 140.6, finisher
2014-05-14 1:09 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

You know.....we should probably trademark that right now.

2014-05-14 2:43 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Genius. However, don't forget the car sticker: Logo, 140.6 within the logo, the word "FINISHER" below the logo. It should also be large enough for someone to read 50 feet away. IM nirvana...
2014-05-14 3:19 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

When is it acceptable for me to buy my 140.6 sticker for my car? I plan on doing CDA next June can I just buy and put the sticker on my car now?

2014-05-14 3:23 PM
in reply to: sirdizzy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by sirdizzy When is it acceptable for me to buy my 140.6 sticker for my car? I plan on doing CDA next June can I just buy and put the sticker on my car now?

Yes, if your car has more than 140.6 miles on it then it is competely acceptable.

2014-05-14 3:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by sirdizzy When is it acceptable for me to buy my 140.6 sticker for my car? I plan on doing CDA next June can I just buy and put the sticker on my car now?

Yes, if your car has more than 140.6 miles on it then it is competely acceptable.

NO!  He has to earn it!

2014-05-14 3:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

NO!  He has to earn it!

What if you put a 140.6 sticker on your car because you want everyone to know you did an IM triathlon and then a buddy borrows your car?  I think he should have to cover the sticker up so nobody looks at him with the same wonder and awe.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-14 3:55 PM
2014-05-14 3:56 PM
in reply to: sirdizzy

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I have one on my car, but insist my wife scrape it off if she is going to drive it and I'm not with her...  I go through TONS of them a year...

2014-05-14 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

NO!  He has to earn it!

What if you put a 140.6 sticker on your car because you want everyone to know you did an IM triathlon and then a buddy borrows your car?  I think he should have to cover the sticker up so nobody looks at him with the same wonder and awe.

It's a lot easier to make your friends finish an IM as criteria for being your friend.

2014-05-14 4:03 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

NO!  He has to earn it!

It's a lot easier to make your friends finish an IM as criteria for being your friend.

Depends on the car too.  Now, I'd have a hard time tellnig my friends that they needed to do a One Forty Point Six to ride in my sweet Dodge Durango.

Maybe that brings up another point.....  should there be a minimum standard for vehicles that have the sticker? 

2014-05-14 4:09 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Pro

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

NO!  He has to earn it!

Depends on the car too.  Now, I'd have a hard time tellnig my friends that they needed to do a One Forty Point Six to ride in my sweet Dodge Durango.

Maybe that brings up another point.....  should there be a minimum standard for vehicles that have the sticker? 

I think you both make excellent points.  What good is a friend who HASN'T done a 140.6?  Who would you have to regail you with IM exploits when you got tired of talking about your own?     

As for vehicles...yes.....$45,000 minimum sticker price....not the price you paid because the salesman just wanted you to shut up about how you were going to haul your bike so he knocked another 5 grand off to get you out of there. (I'm killing myself here LOL )

2014-05-14 4:52 PM
in reply to: Tootshibbard

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
It's your money spend it how you like. Be prepared to tell people you haven't finished an IM however (or make up an elaborate story). I regularly get asked about IM if I'm wearing any gear. People who don't know triathlons always assume Hawaii
2014-05-14 7:50 PM

I'm starting to feel guilty. Guess I better take it off the lawn tractor!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing IronMan gear when not an Ironman, yet.... Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

To Ironman or not to Ironman, that is the question

Started by menglo
Views: 1951 Posts: 18

2009-11-25 6:13 AM rc63413

To wear or not To wear (Wet Suit) PLEASE HELP

Started by ditchdoc
Views: 1288 Posts: 8

2008-10-11 4:10 AM monkeyboy64

Ironman training plan for someone not doing an ironman

Started by amyro1234
Views: 2544 Posts: 23

2008-06-06 12:53 PM David tri's

To Ironman or to not Ironman

Started by iwantotri
Views: 1954 Posts: 21

2006-10-15 11:23 PM swbkrun

To Ironman or to not Ironman

Started by iwantotri
Views: 765 Posts: 2

2006-10-13 4:55 AM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : October 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
Do you have your first triathlon coming up? This article will give you a few tips on what to wear for your triathlon.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?

date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.