General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Saga of the BT Bike is Complete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-28 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: The Saga of the BT Bike is Complete
Two years ago, I lost my bike. Stolen, accidental, or both - it was gone. I came to BT for sympathy. I got so much more. I was given a bike by our own Fred D, who lives within 90 minutes of me. I also received a saddle, and aerobars in the mail from others.

I had always hoped to pass the bike along when I was in a position to replace it.

That time has come, not exactly as I had planned. I rode two half-ironmans and the Nations Tri on the bike, as well as several other races, and all my training. I had planned to ride it at IMMT this summer, also hoping to see Fred D there again.

Well, I finally went for a fitting on the bike, and it became a new bike purchase. I fit much better on a 58cm frame, but this was a 56cm. That would be enough to replace it, but then we found that the seat post was corroded inside, and worn out on top, making precised adjustments to the seat angle impossible. By the time I was going to pay for a fit and buy a new post, we really looked at the bottom bracket needing replacement too, and the head unit was wobbly, one wheel had issues. It did have several thousand miles of solid use. So instead, I bought an entry level Trek roadie, much like the one I had been on. It's the right size, it's new, and it's enough. It's black and blue. 1.1 series.

I transferred the aerobars and Cobb saddle I had received from other BTers, and the bike was donated to Recycle Bicycle in Harrisburg. It needs work, but they have volunteers who rehab bikes and splice together what's usable.

So I'm on the cheapest roadie in the shop, no name brand shifters or anything, and I couldn't be happier. It fits. Fit is everything, right?

I have some aero extensions to put on the pay it forward thread. I also have a brand new adjustable stem that I was trying out, but now think I won't need with the good fit and transfer of an older stem that has a bit higher angle. Adjustable stems are good for anyone nursing an injury, sitting more upright, but planning to move lower with time.

Thanks again to the generous BT community. I've given a couple updates on this over the 2 years, and Fred said it was a gift - nothing owed, but I feel accountable to paying it forward and making sure you all know where it went.

2014-04-28 2:24 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: The Saga of the BT Bike is Complete

Congrats, Andrew!

But you know the 'new bike' rules - you must post pictures.   

Fred D is definitely one of the class members here on BT.

Mark

2014-04-28 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I remember when this all happened, and it made my heart smile with how many people on BT were ready, willing, and WANTING to help.  

Congrats on the new bike, and thank you for keeping us updated... but, as with any new bike thread - we need pics!!  

2014-04-28 2:40 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Pics, well, OK, I have to take off the reflectors first, make sure it's in the big ring... oh, and clean my house so the background is perfect....

I know how this works.
2014-04-28 3:54 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by TheClaaaw Pics, well, OK, I have to take off the reflectors first, make sure it's in the big ring... oh, and clean my house so the background is perfect.... I know how this works.

That's hilarious! You do indeed know how this works.

Thanks for the update and enjoy the new bike. Looking forward to seeing it.

2014-04-28 8:34 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by zed707

Originally posted by TheClaaaw Pics, well, OK, I have to take off the reflectors first, make sure it's in the big ring... oh, and clean my house so the background is perfect.... I know how this works.

That's hilarious! You do indeed know how this works.

Thanks for the update and enjoy the new bike. Looking forward to seeing it.

Snerk ... yup! Real triathlete right there!

You have paid it forward in so many ways to so many people, including me. Love love love and {MELON PRESS}.

2014-04-29 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4988384

I saw you might be posting these on the Pay It Forward thread and was interested in them. Would you be able to send me pictures and details
2014-04-29 12:29 PM
in reply to: standbyzero

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Glad to hear you got a new bike and a proper fit Andy. So cool that you used the bike and then donated it so someone else can enjoy having a bike. I remember when this happened and thought how cool it was of the BT community to come together for one of their own.

This whole things needs to be discussed in a future podcast episode too!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Saga of the BT Bike is Complete Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Completed first HM this am!!

Started by mrfarrar
Views: 1035 Posts: 17

2011-10-31 7:34 AM mrfarrar

The BIKE SAGA Ends: Here She Is ! Pages: 1 2

Started by trishie
Views: 1341 Posts: 26

2009-06-12 10:41 AM aggiegrad96

First Ride on New Bike - the Saga

Started by dwiggin3
Views: 1170 Posts: 6

2007-06-26 1:33 PM ertman

The bike tire saga continues

Started by fattyboombalatty
Views: 716 Posts: 6

2006-03-15 10:00 PM piggpen35

Accident saga continues...

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 1093 Posts: 16

2004-09-09 7:31 PM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : October 17, 2004
author : infosteward
comments : 0
I want your tastes to be satisfied. I want you to feel like you’re coming home each Monday when you view the new articles uploaded to the site.