General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » It seemed like a good idea at the time... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-30 9:37 AM

Subject: It seemed like a good idea at the time...

• ..but I may be having some second thoughts. However the train is rolling and there's no stopping now.

• I probably should rewind and start again. I'm in my early-mid 40s and mostly a distance runner.

Sometime in the summer of 2012, some of my running group got the idea of doing a bike and run as a different workout. So I dug my trusty mountain bike out of the shed and rode along with them and enjoyed myself immensely. This led me to buy my first road bike at the end of season sales, along with a couple of the folks from the group who were looking to upgrade. At the time, we decided to do some tris in two years. (With pie-in-the-sky notions of doing an Ironman someday).

One of the things we have heard about Ironman is that we'll likely need to plan 18months ahead, volunteer in the event we want and sign up for the following year. This is "The Plan".

Fast forward to 2013. Randomly browsing the web, I notice that registration has opened for that race. I also notice that there are still openings. I also notice that I signed up. I also notice that this isn't exactly "The Plan". I also notice that I haven't swam in 8 years.

Realizing I have a year to prepare, I sign up for my first tri... a 200m swim, 15k (?) bike, 3k run. This should set my baseline. My training for this is pretty intense:
    Running - lots (I have a long race scheduled a week or two after)
    Biking - 3 or 4 40km rides. Also, 2 bricks. I don't like bricks I decide
    Swimming - This will be a nice surprise

Race day comes and off I go. I've prepared everything as well as I can, based on various beginner tips I see on the web.

The swim - it's open water. I make it about half way doing freestyle and start to panic a bit. I'm tired and it's taking to long. Breaststroke time. I don't drown. Success!
    T1/bike - nothing major. My legs feel very weird running to the bike though. Biking goes well... I put everything into it, figuring it's only a 3k run
    T2/run - I feel great until the 1k mark. I feel odd until 2k. I feel bad after that and end up rejecting the fluids I had taken in before. but I finish

Suffice to say, I didn't win my age group or anything.

Time to regroup. Another tri in 6 weeks. I get a couple of lessons/classes under my belt and a try it again. Things go much better this time. All the fluids stay where I put them. I also notice that if I gain just a few more pounds, I can be a clydesdale. I put this into my backup plan file.

After this, I realize what I've gotten myself into... and have been training hard since then. The first of my two 'tune-up' races is in under three weeks and I'm starting to go mildly stir crazy. Not enough outside miles on the bike is killing me. And I'm worried about burning myself out on the swim. So I'm looking around the boards, trying to look for other beginners/newbies like me, to either get tips or at least ease the pain.

2014-05-01 10:04 AM
    in reply to: UnskinnyBOP

User image

Melon Presser
    Subject: RE: It seemed like a good idea at the time...

I also notice ... that you're hilarious! Welcome to the crazy bus; you're in good company. Good luck!

2014-05-01 12:31 PM
    in reply to: UnskinnyBOP

User image

Champion
    Austin, Texas

Welcome to BT!  

You'll fit right in here with all the rest of us somewhat-crazy-but-kind-of-in-a-good-way people. 

Keep training, having fun, and try to stop the rejecting of fluids... other than that, you're set!  Also - feel free to ask any and all questions that you want answered... you'll get mostly serious answers, but sometimes not... it's up to you to decide which is which.  

2014-05-02 7:11 AM
    in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Thanks for the welcome folks. In all seriousness, I am enjoying myself immensely with the training and here on the board. I've been picking up some great tips around here.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » It seemed like a good idea at the time... Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

A runner who likes to TRI

Started by Big Red
    Views: 742 Posts: 4

2005-09-07 5:22 PM Big Red

It seemed like a good idea...

Started by daddysgirl
    Views: 935 Posts: 4

2005-06-07 9:28 PM slow&steady

Hello - what a good idea

Started by Wookiee
    Views: 941 Posts: 16

2004-08-10 11:14 AM ASA22

Good time for biking?

Started by vmr719
    Views: 911 Posts: 8

2004-05-17 10:44 PM Y-NOT-TRI

In good times

Started by LoverBoyPhil
    Views: 1044 Posts: 5

2003-11-17 7:57 AM LoverBoyPhil
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : April 9, 2010
    author : Zen Master
    comments : 24
    All I can think about is, "How can I swim in this?" I can't sleep. I think I made a big mistake. I'm filling my head with fear and doubt. What made me think I could run a triathlon?

date : December 24, 2008
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.
    date : December 11, 2007
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 1
    Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : October 5, 2007
    author : mrakes1
    Discussion on training and weightloss, what to do if the cafeteria has no good food, sweet tooth problems and the importance of nutrient timing.
    date : June 6, 2006
    author : TriForrestTri
    In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.