General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slow runner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-05 10:40 AM

Subject: Slow runner
I'm a slow runner - like really slow, 45 minute 5k.

I'm doing my first tri in July and don't think I can improve much on my running time before then.

Do I focus on trying to improve my swim and bike times? I know I'll probably finish last but I don't want to be humiliated.

2014-05-05 11:42 AM
in reply to: sblezard

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member
Subject: RE: Slow runner

Have you tried squats, lunges, stair climbing, hill training with a weighted vest? There are some things you can do to improve muscle strength in your legs which might help you go a bit faster.

45 minutes isn't the slowest 5km I've seen in my clinics, and I've been last in triathlons, more than once. I found that I feel pride in just finishing the dang thing!

For triathlon training, I have to focus on my weakest area, which is the bike for me. If I can't finish that stage in time, I don't get to even worry about the run! And in fact, the half and full ironmans I completed, I was so exhausted by the run, I pretty much walked the entire time - and running was my best out of the three sports.

Whatever you do, have fun & enjoy the journey to your first tri! Which one is it?

2014-05-05 12:41 PM

User image

I would say focus on all three, but just keep on running. I'm not sure how long you have been running, but I was in that boat and I found that my pace picked up considerably with a few months on regular running. That said I finished a marathon before I broke 30 minutes on a 5k, so its a work in progress.
2014-05-05 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4991688

Lower body strength isn't really an issue - I strength train 2-3 times per week and lift very heavy.

Right now I'm doing 2 interval sessions a week - hill sprints and treadmill and then one " longer" run.

I have been running for about a year but slacked over the winter so I'm building up my endurance again although even when I was running consistently for quite a while running did not come easy for me and I was pretty slow.

I'm running the mine over matter race in Milton , Ontario.
2014-05-05 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4991817

User image

Run more frequently and add sorter distance intervals.
Like sprint a 400 then jog
Or sprint 2-3 min then jog.

Also add in some dynamic drills.
YouTube is your friend in this area!
I'm no expert but I've chopped over a minute off my mile over the last few months Over a 5k distance
2014-05-08 9:14 AM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Do not worry about it. You would kick my butt in a race right now. Key is to work on it. Slowly increase your volume. Biking and swimming will help your endurance which will help your running too.

2014-05-08 4:10 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

The only way my running time improved for me was running more.  But, when running more, I was losing a LOT more fat and that was the reason I think I was getting faster.  Currently I have let myself go to where I am the heaviest I have ever been.  Now I can't run without my knees swelling and making the next week a complete horror show.

Increase your running time no more than 10% or if you go by distance do not increase it by more than 10% in a week.  After a month then either drop back to two weeks prior (distance or time) for one week and then increase 10% again.  This has worked for many people that I have run with and helped over the years.  But, I am not a coach or a doctor.  Just someone that has used that theory in self practice while training for a 70.3

2014-05-12 7:12 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
I too am a slower runner(but improving). I suggest you focus on running more and longer. The swim is the shortest event and will have minimal impact on overall speed. Bike can make up time but from experience the mental impact of being passed on the run didn't outweigh all the passing I did on the bike.
2014-06-23 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Montana
If you think you have time to possibly improve your swim or bike times, you have time to improve your run.

I suggest interval training. It doesn't have to be sprint/jog, just increase your pace for a short interval, and then back down to your regular pace. I used to take 100 faster strides at every electric pole. Make sure you are not backing down below your usual pace, though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slow runner Rss Feed