General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chinese wheels - light-bicycle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-06 10:26 PM

Subject: Chinese wheels - light-bicycle
I’ve just bought some cheapo wheels from China, so thought I’d post up my $0.02. There was no way I was willing to pay $2k+ for “genuine” wheels so it was always going to be China. I was looking at Yishun, Yoleo and Light-bicycle as they seemed to be where most people were buying them from. I ended up going with Light-bicycle as they had the most professional website and seemed pretty prompt at replying to my emails. They've also got a live chat tool on their website which was good to use when I needed a quick response. Their English was also excellent. I chose 88mm Carbon Clinchers front and back and went with custom graphics. Total cost including shipping was $640. They took about 3 weeks to make, which is what they originally told me and shipping was quick – 6 working days and this was over Easter, just in time for Busso 70.3. Pulling them out of the box I was pretty amazed at how light they were and also how fragile they felt! No idea about their strength and durability compared to something like ZIPPS, I guess time will tell. The wheels looked really good though and no obvious imperfections. I managed a few training rides before Busselton and they felt good, rides were really windy though so I wasn’t really able to tell if they were significantly quicker or not. But Busso was a good test as conditions were perfect, flat and completely windless. During the season I’d averaged 34km/hr in the 5 sprint tris I’d done and 33km/hr in one OD. In Busselton I managed to average 36km/hr for a 2.30, so was pretty pleased with that. I felt that I could have perhaps comfortably gone 1 – 2km/hr faster, but having faded badly in the run leg of my previous 70.3 I had to keep on forcing myself to slow down. Busselton is fast though and a lot of people got PBs so it’s too hard to say whether it was the conditions or the wheels, but they felt quick and I’d never averaged that speed before even in a sprint so I’m fairly happy with them and would definitely recommend light-bicycle.

http://www.light-bicycle.com/

photo IMG_3799_zpsc0bf53d0.jpg

Swim leg

photo BmsHyGWCIAEJCD8_zps10f49762.jpg

2014-05-07 9:57 AM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Chinese wheels - light-bicycle
how do they handle heavy braking in long descent. I melted a set of lower priced wheels in a long downhill section of a him
2014-05-07 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Nice to see another happy triathlete who managed the balance between getting what you want at the price point you want. I bought a set of 88mm rims from Light-bicycle too. But I use tubulers and just bought the rims and had my bike shop put them together with the hubs I chose (Chris King). I'm not a huge fan of the Novatec hubs that most of the off-brands come with. So the short answer is I did not end up saving quite as much, but still a lot, and I'm very happy with the setup at about 1/2 of new Zipps.

I haven't had a problem with braking and use the Swiss Stop yellows for carbon. I do get a bit of a yellow "ring" but I'm sure I could could strip it off if I cared.
2014-05-07 7:32 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

Originally posted by BuckHamilton

how do they handle heavy braking in long descent. I melted a set of lower priced wheels in a long downhill section of a him

Haven't really tried any long descents. I've got carbon brake pads, the braking is not particularly good compared to metal rims, but there are no big hills on the sprints, OD or 70.3s that I do, so shouldn't be too much of a problem.
2014-05-08 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Good looking wheels, I seriously doubt that they bought you 4km/hr+ in time savings though...
2014-05-08 11:52 AM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Richland, Washington
Originally posted by BuckHamilton

x2 mine were toast after wildflower.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chinese wheels - light-bicycle Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gyroscopic effects of wheels on a bicycle debunked completely

Started by agarose2000
Views: 2418 Posts: 10

2011-04-15 9:33 PM briderdt

Light wheels or arodynamic? Pages: 1 2

Started by eggraid101
Views: 3083 Posts: 42

2010-08-02 8:55 PM the bear

Aero Wheels versus Light Wheels

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 5470 Posts: 24

2010-02-13 3:43 PM dscottmd

RECALL on Shimano Dura Ace Carbon Clincher Wheels for Bicycles

Started by Fechter99
Views: 804 Posts: 1

2008-10-23 6:46 PM Fechter99

Race Wheels for light riders?

Started by sebjamesm
Views: 1233 Posts: 8

2007-01-26 11:27 PM me8
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : June 30, 2009
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.
date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.

date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.