General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sub 10 Ironman Training Program... Questions. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-12 3:50 PM

Subject: Sub 10 Ironman Training Program... Questions.
Hello everyone,

I want to finish the 2015 Ironman Lake Placid under 10 hours. I'm new to this sport. I've never competed in triathlons. I've been generally training for the
past 3 years(MMA & team sports) and been training around 20-24 hours a week for the past 8 months. My training for the past 8 months consisted of 3 running(Long Slow Distance, Continuous High-intensity Intervals, Intervals) and Swimming(LSD, CHI, INT) workouts. 4 core workouts. 4 calisthenics workouts. 4 strength workouts And many back to back hell sessions (you folks might call it a " break-through training day").

My body responds well to stress and I am confident in myself that I'll be able to finish it under 10 hours. The training process will be both mentally and physically challenging and I'm up for both. Physically, Ironman training will be different than my old style of training but not that much different mentally.
I'll be doing different kinds of races along the way to supplement. I have a lot to improve on in all three sports but within the reasonable reach.

I read the Triathlete's Training Bible and designed a plan accordingly. This periodization plan will have me train around 1000 hours annually. Probably a little bit higher because I designed it conservatively. I've gained a lot of knowledge from this book but I'm still unclear on certain areas, I will address this down below.

Thank you for reading this post. Any advice and suggestions would be helpful. Also If any of you have broken 10 hours then I'll be more than glad to hear your experience on how you did it, training plans, etc...

So my questions are:

1. What are your recommendations on assigning training times for each discipline? Ex) %10 swim, 20% run, 60% bike or %15 swim, 15% run, 60% bike.
Note: Biking is my weakest discipline. Strength is not my limiter though, I just haven't biked much.

2. Is there any websites or books that I can get sample workouts from? Let say for example if it was a muscular endurance day I would like to have options available for muscular endurance workouts.

3. Is there any reliable pre-made training programs that suits my needs? I might be better off going with that than a training program that is made by me (someone who has no experience in this sport)

2014-05-12 4:32 PM
in reply to: spearfisherman1

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Sub 10 Ironman Training Program... Questions.
Looks like you are looking into a kona Qualifier training program

To break i down your looking into

2.4 SWIM: Sub 1 Hr. 2.4 mi swim => 1:22 mins/100 yds.

112 BIKE: Sub 5 Hrs. => 23 miles/hour

26.2 RUN: Sub 3.75 HRS.=. 8:35 min/ mile

The above are extremely FAST!!!! pacing

I believe a professional TRI coach can help you!!

Goodluck!!!!
2014-05-12 5:27 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I don't see anything in your logs.

Have you run a marathon or biked a century before ? you said biking is your weakest area, this is where you need to be the strongest to get a decent IM time, and your run has to be very strong.

you might consider doing a HIM follow on with the advanced IM training plan in BT.

but as the person above said, a professional tri coach is probably what you need to accomplish this goal.
2014-05-12 6:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

No offense but what makes you think you can go sub-10 on absolutely no experience?  Not saying it can't be done... because it has... but that's usually from some genetic freak who was a former Div 1 swimmer or XC runner or something similar.

Barring being a genetic freak, it's experience and a crapload of hours building a base of endurance.  8 months of S/B/R is building that base but odds are you're way overestimating yourself.

As stated above... can you swim 2.4 miles in 1 hour or less?  Can you bike 112 miles in 5 hours or less (after swimming for an hour)?  Can you run a marathon in 3:45 or under (after swimming and cycling for six hours already)?

Placid is also a pretty tough course.

Not sure how old you are but here are how many males finished sub-10 at IMLP last year in certain age groups with the second number being the total in the AG:

M18-24 = 0/40 or 0%

M25-29 = 4/126 or 3%

M30-34 = 9/226 or 4%

M35-39 = 11/307 or 3.6%

M40-44 = 8/398 or or 2%

M45-49 = 5/340 or 1.5%

Just sayin'.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2014-05-12 6:28 PM
2014-05-13 7:03 PM

Completely unrealistic expectation. Start training, figure out what your baseline times are, then decide upon a finish time target.
2014-05-13 7:34 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=5080514

If your looking for a better answer than your post at ST its just not going to happen in BT

GMAN sums it up all for you.

Its just like you want to qualify for Boston in 1 year and you have not run a 10K yet

Edited by strykergt 2014-05-13 7:45 PM

2014-05-14 12:20 PM

Veteran
You will find that mentally it is not even close to the training you have been doing. As Dave Scott said, anyone can train their body to exercise, and 6 hours of racing is relatively easy, but can you train your mind for 8 (or 10)?

the mental aspect is harder than you think.
2014-05-14 1:29 PM
in reply to: strykergt

Originally posted by strykergt

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=5080514

If your looking for a better answer than your post at ST its just not going to happen in BT

GMAN sums it up all for you.

Its just like you want to qualify for Boston in 1 year and you have not run a 10K yet

I like the ST thread - very good advice (even though he claimed he wasn't looking for any...) and good training metrics. So, no need to repeat everything that was said over there...but here's my two cents...

The only was I think he can realistically accomplish his goal (which to be honest is a *huge, huge, huge* stretch) is to register for a different race, such as IMFL. IMFL is known for fast times, so going sub10 hrs at IMFL is at least more realistic than at IMLP.

Otherwise, I think he's out to lunch. That said, more power to him if he actually does it.
2014-05-14 2:57 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
Originally posted by hogfish1

Hello everyone,

I want to finish the 2015 Ironman Lake Placid under 10 hours. I'm new to this sport. I've never competed in triathlons. I've been generally training for the
past 3 years(MMA & team sports) and been training around 20-24 hours a week for the past 8 months. My training for the past 8 months consisted of 3 running(Long Slow Distance, Continuous High-intensity Intervals, Intervals) and Swimming(LSD, CHI, INT) workouts. 4 core workouts. 4 calisthenics workouts. 4 strength workouts And many back to back hell sessions (you folks might call it a " break-through training day").

My body responds well to stress and I am confident in myself that I'll be able to finish it under 10 hours. The training process will be both mentally and physically challenging and I'm up for both. Physically, Ironman training will be different than my old style of training but not that much different mentally.
I'll be doing different kinds of races along the way to supplement. I have a lot to improve on in all three sports but within the reasonable reach.

I read the Triathlete's Training Bible and designed a plan accordingly. This periodization plan will have me train around 1000 hours annually. Probably a little bit higher because I designed it conservatively. I've gained a lot of knowledge from this book but I'm still unclear on certain areas, I will address this down below.

Thank you for reading this post. Any advice and suggestions would be helpful. Also If any of you have broken 10 hours then I'll be more than glad to hear your experience on how you did it, training plans, etc...

So my questions are:

1. What are your recommendations on assigning training times for each discipline? Ex) %10 swim, 20% run, 60% bike or %15 swim, 15% run, 60% bike.
Note: Biking is my weakest discipline. Strength is not my limiter though, I just haven't biked much.

2. Is there any websites or books that I can get sample workouts from? Let say for example if it was a muscular endurance day I would like to have options available for muscular endurance workouts.

3. Is there any reliable pre-made training programs that suits my needs? I might be better off going with that than a training program that is made by me (someone who has no experience in this sport)

I actually just sprayed water across the room laughing at this. Good luck my friend. I come from an EXTENSIVE swimming background, and train 30-35 hours a week.... I also ride a "superbike" with the best wheels you can find....and I'm just breaking 10 hours. My advice.... Work your *** off for 3-5 years, buy a superbike, and quit your job to train.
2014-05-14 7:46 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

I like the ST thread - very good advice (even though he claimed he wasn't looking for any...) and good training metrics. So, no need to repeat everything that was said over there...but here's my two cents...

The only was I think he can realistically accomplish his goal (which to be honest is a *huge, huge, huge* stretch) is to register for a different race, such as IMFL. IMFL is known for fast times, so going sub10 hrs at IMFL is at least more realistic than at IMLP.

Otherwise, I think he's out to lunch. That said, more power to him if he actually does it.
That's a good call. Another option is Arizona. Even better than that is Beach to Battleship. The harbor current alone will cut 15-25 minutes off your swim. The bike is FLAT and if you're lucky you will have tailwinds which will cut time. And the run is flat.

If you hope to go sub-10 hrs, B2B is the place to attempt it in my opinion.
2014-05-25 10:07 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So... obtain Olympic endurance running biological father, world class long distance cyclist biological mother, then get very good coaches in all three sports and if you are in the .000001 percentile, maybe. If you are just the top 5 percentile, then put in 5 years with coaches and see how it goes. Having a goal is fine, but most folks take 5-10 years to hit anywhere near their potential at the IM distance. You will also have to learn how to not overtrain your body, which results in injury that costs you 6 weeks to 6 months per mistake. It is a process. Read learn, enjoy the sport. Shooting for sub 12:00:00 IM would be much more realistic. From 12 to 10 hours in IM is massive.

So anyway, it would be helpful if you put up your hard run, bike and swim paces for 5 miles, 20 mile, and 1000 yards. Then folks can see what your raw talent is without much training.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-05-25 10:20 PM

2014-06-04 8:02 AM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

Originally posted by Swimaway
Originally posted by hogfish1 Hello everyone, I want to finish the 2015 Ironman Lake Placid under 10 hours. I'm new to this sport. I've never competed in triathlons. I've been generally training for the past 3 years(MMA & team sports) and been training around 20-24 hours a week for the past 8 months. My training for the past 8 months consisted of 3 running(Long Slow Distance, Continuous High-intensity Intervals, Intervals) and Swimming(LSD, CHI, INT) workouts. 4 core workouts. 4 calisthenics workouts. 4 strength workouts And many back to back hell sessions (you folks might call it a " break-through training day"). My body responds well to stress and I am confident in myself that I'll be able to finish it under 10 hours. The training process will be both mentally and physically challenging and I'm up for both. Physically, Ironman training will be different than my old style of training but not that much different mentally. I'll be doing different kinds of races along the way to supplement. I have a lot to improve on in all three sports but within the reasonable reach. I read the Triathlete's Training Bible and designed a plan accordingly. This periodization plan will have me train around 1000 hours annually. Probably a little bit higher because I designed it conservatively. I've gained a lot of knowledge from this book but I'm still unclear on certain areas, I will address this down below. Thank you for reading this post. Any advice and suggestions would be helpful. Also If any of you have broken 10 hours then I'll be more than glad to hear your experience on how you did it, training plans, etc... So my questions are: 1. What are your recommendations on assigning training times for each discipline? Ex) %10 swim, 20% run, 60% bike or %15 swim, 15% run, 60% bike. Note: Biking is my weakest discipline. Strength is not my limiter though, I just haven't biked much. 2. Is there any websites or books that I can get sample workouts from? Let say for example if it was a muscular endurance day I would like to have options available for muscular endurance workouts. 3. Is there any reliable pre-made training programs that suits my needs? I might be better off going with that than a training program that is made by me (someone who has no experience in this sport)
I actually just sprayed water across the room laughing at this. Good luck my friend. I come from an EXTENSIVE swimming background, and train 30-35 hours a week.... I also ride a "superbike" with the best wheels you can find....and I'm just breaking 10 hours. My advice.... Work your *** off for 3-5 years, buy a superbike, and quit your job to train.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  If you have family and a job it's very hard to train perfectly for an IM.  Trust me I know from experience.  Also the whole job thing gets taken into consideration.  Do you work 40+ hours a week?  I had a pipe dream of going into IMWI wanting to be around 10:10-10:20.  It didn't happen.  Albeit I had a mechanical on the bike that cost me 30-40 minutes worth of time due to my front wheel wobbling around for the last 52 miles due to a broken spoke.  Like others said you need to have a base developed and swim your' butt off.  A lot of people underestimate the swim but, it will build your' aerobic engine greater than the other two sports imo.  Good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sub 10 Ironman Training Program... Questions. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Beginner Ironman Training Program - Question

Started by violation
Views: 3491 Posts: 12

2012-01-30 11:43 PM seanmullins

IM training plan for a sub 10 hour finish Pages: 1 2

Started by Jorgito22
Views: 12320 Posts: 39

2011-10-04 8:10 PM swiss tri

IM Training Question (10 months out)

Started by bridgeland
Views: 1482 Posts: 8

2010-07-29 12:35 PM bridgeland

12 Month Ironman Training Program/ IM Train Prgrm Questions

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 14177 Posts: 24

2009-07-17 12:01 PM magic

Ironman Kentucky training on 10 hrs a week?

Started by rstocks3
Views: 2630 Posts: 16

2008-07-30 11:21 AM Sparty
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.