BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-06-06 9:52 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open)
Been a crazy and feeling lazy kinda week. Although the race Sunday fits into the schedule as far as distance and time, for being a lower volume week in the periodization cycle. They always seem to get to me once Im on a roll. We did not really taper for race but rather just stuck close to the plan and gonna roll with that. Hitting a masters swim tonight, not sure how much I will do but will go hang out for a good hour. Actually ready for next week to get here because a few odd things came up this week so the only thing I removed was strength training and my legs been thanking me for that really. Leg days can linger with me longer then I like but had some speed work this week that felt way better then last couple weeks. So after today I wont be around till Monday, heading out for east coast of FL tomorrow, over around Ft Pierce. For the Patriot 911 Race Series, its a .911 S , 49 B and 9.11 R bit of a hybrid race but it should be a fun one. Have a great weekend everyone and awesome training.

2014-06-06 10:37 AM

User image

Been a light week due to really long workdays. Hope to be back to normal by next week. Did manage to squeeze a swim, run and bike trainer session. Tried the Sufferfest video for the first time with Trainer Road. Definitely a tough workout but makes the trainer so much less boring.

Have a 5k with my kids tomorrow. Will be at their pace so relatively easy. Hope to get an evening ride as well. Then Sunday a super short sprint, 1/2 mile, 6 mile and 2 mile. But good practice for transition and will take the place of my normal run. Then a charity softball tornament with dads all the local schools. will be a long day and my main goal is just to avoid injury.
2014-06-06 12:46 PM
in reply to: benihana

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
My Triathlon Club is putting on a sprint triathlon. I think I am going to Swim/Bike and then tack on an extra 30-40 miles on the bike to get about 50 in. Hopefully the weather around here holds.
2014-06-06 3:37 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

I've had a good consistent week of training, I'll do a 50mile ride with a 20min brick run after on Saturday and then a 2000meter swim and 12mile run on Sunday. I'll play it by ear on whether or not I can do my softball game after that swim/run on Sunday. So happy it's summer, I get to move some of my weekday swims from the pool to an outdoor reservoir. It will be nice to not be counting so many laps!

Good luck to all the racers this weekend! I'm looking forward to seeing your race reports!

Gear question: I've always used Aqua Sphere Kaiman Lady goggles and didn't have any problems. A few weeks ago, I started to get a leak into my left eye after about lap 40. I thought maybe I just needed a new pair - old pair had been around for a few years. I bought a new pair that seemed to fit me well, but I'm getting the same problem. It just leaks into the left eye, unless I try to ratchet it down tighter, then it will start leaking from both sides. It's weird to me that it works fine until about 40 laps in. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions? It's so odd and annoying! Thanks!!
2014-06-06 8:55 PM
in reply to: tiffanyosh

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by tiffanyosh Gear question: I've always used Aqua Sphere Kaiman Lady goggles and didn't have any problems. A few weeks ago, I started to get a leak into my left eye after about lap 40. I thought maybe I just needed a new pair - old pair had been around for a few years. I bought a new pair that seemed to fit me well, but I'm getting the same problem. It just leaks into the left eye, unless I try to ratchet it down tighter, then it will start leaking from both sides. It's weird to me that it works fine until about 40 laps in. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions? It's so odd and annoying! Thanks!!

I've used the Aqua Sphere Kaiman goggles my entire tri career and love them.  If a pair ever starts leaking I think its because I put them in my gear bag haphazardly and they got squished by other gear and that may have caused the goggles to deform slightly.  That is why I now always keep the case they came in and put the goggles back in the case after every swim so they don't get touched by other gear.  Not sure if that is your problem but its the only one that comes to mind.

2014-06-07 6:12 PM

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
60ish mile ride this morning and I have an open-water swim + run with friends planned for tomorrow morning. hope everyone's races go/went well!

2014-06-09 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
So I had a pretty good race yesterday and happy with results. Only 2 things happened and one was my mistake. First was in the swim that was choppy and had a medium to what seemed like stiff current. I was along side this guy when all a sudden we went 90 degrees right ended up under me, then as fast as that happened he went 90 left so i was now on top his butt and legs. Here I caught a foot to chest and throat as I was head up wondering WTH is this guy doing. Caught a ton of water and was forced to pick up side strike till things cleared. I had been with him like 600 meters and he was good I have no clue why he did that. Second was on me and hit me at mile 30 on bike, as I was running through my T2 procedure with 19 more to go on bike. I realized I forgot to lay my gels out for run and didnt know where they was. My bag was next to my bike and remembered I had a banana blueberry almond butter Pocket Fuel in front pouch ( I had just got them to try out to get away from so much sugar). SO the whole nothing new on race day went out the window. I conserved my bike fuel bottle for an extra 5 miles and was able to get to that Pocket Fuel fast out of T2. I actually had no issues with it, besides it is thick and crunchy but really like them and I am going to start no working with them more. Anyways I pulled a 3:57:xx on the course, which was 7th OA and 1st AG cause they didnt have a masters cat. Bike and run was right on and happy with them. It was over 90 and humidity was high as always but I like them conditions so it worked for me.
2014-06-09 7:40 AM
in reply to: mac3116

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Race went ok on Sat...managed to run faster splits in the 2nd run...which is wierd...I measured the course, and the marks were spot on...I guess the benefit was that I ran ~ 20 secs faster/mi than I ever have....good thing heading into Nationals

Managed to get the bike out for a 50 mile ride yesterday afternoon...in order to really challenge myself, I decided to combine the two hilliest routes and make them into a 50 miler...good ride, even managed to hold 3mph faster than last year on a 1.5 mi climb that I always get dropped on during group rides, which helps boost the confidence

hope everyone else's races/training went well
2014-06-09 9:03 AM

User image

Pro

Nice job on the races Shaun and Ben!  Sorry to hear about both of your logistical issues during the races but sounds like you overcame them.

My race was quite unusual.  We got delayed an hour by thunderstorms which threatened a course-shortening but luckily they went thru with a full race.  I had a decent swim but since it was my first OWS swim of the season my sighting was a little rusty and I did a lot of zig-zagging.  I felt good on the bike but somehow I missed a turn on the second loop of bike.  It happened on one of several roundabouts on the bike course.  There were people guiding racers on the first loop on a roundabout where we take a right. The next roundabout we go straight thru. There was no one there on the second time around and I mixed up my roundabouts and went straight instead of turning right. There was no one around me to look at to see where to turn. I went almost 4 miles before I realized I screwed up. I ended up biking 63.4 miles instead of 56. If I figure in the extra 23 minutes I raced I probably would have placed around 24th overall and probably 2nd in AG. Totally my fault so I can't blame anyone but myself. Had a decent swim and ok run so I will still be able to use the data for IM prep.

2014-06-09 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Nice job on the races Shaun and Ben!  Sorry to hear about both of your logistical issues during the races but sounds like you overcame them.

My race was quite unusual.  We got delayed an hour by thunderstorms which threatened a course-shortening but luckily they went thru with a full race.  I had a decent swim but since it was my first OWS swim of the season my sighting was a little rusty and I did a lot of zig-zagging.  I felt good on the bike but somehow I missed a turn on the second loop of bike.  It happened on one of several roundabouts on the bike course.  There were people guiding racers on the first loop on a roundabout where we take a right. The next roundabout we go straight thru. There was no one there on the second time around and I mixed up my roundabouts and went straight instead of turning right. There was no one around me to look at to see where to turn. I went almost 4 miles before I realized I screwed up. I ended up biking 63.4 miles instead of 56. If I figure in the extra 23 minutes I raced I probably would have placed around 24th overall and probably 2nd in AG. Totally my fault so I can't blame anyone but myself. Had a decent swim and ok run so I will still be able to use the data for IM prep.

When I saw the splits, I figured something was up...glad you ended up biking long instead of eating pavement on a slick corner
2014-06-09 10:31 AM

Hey all - I had a pretty good weekend of training. Approx 3.5 hour ride on Saturday morning - focused on hills, but didn't get a lot of time in aero position due to higher than usual traffic. Oh well, safety first, aero second. My legs felt 'fresh' throughout and my riding felt smooth - so overall, it was a good ride. And ran 7 miles on Sunday in the mid-afternoon heat and sun at approximately the same time I'll be on the run course for Syracuse 70.3 in a couple of weeks. I figured the only way to get better in the heat and sun is to train in it, so I did. My per mile pace was slower than usual pace, but that's to be expected. And I got in a quick 40 min swim this morning to start off the week with a nice chlorine pool smell...

13 days to go until race day...

2014-06-09 10:34 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Hey all - I had a pretty good weekend of training. Approx 3.5 hour ride on Saturday morning - focused on hills, but didn't get a lot of time in aero position due to higher than usual traffic. Oh well, safety first, aero second. My legs felt 'fresh' throughout and my riding felt smooth - so overall, it was a good ride. And ran 7 miles on Sunday in the mid-afternoon heat and sun at approximately the same time I'll be on the run course for Syracuse 70.3 in a couple of weeks. I figured the only way to get better in the heat and sun is to train in it, so I did. My per mile pace was slower than usual pace, but that's to be expected. And I got in a quick 40 min swim this morning to start off the week with a nice chlorine pool smell...

Not sure if you listen to Podcasts or not, but Triathlete Training podcast has some REALLY good information on Heat acclimation and what Elite level coaches have their athletes do in order to get heat acclimated - mainly sitting in a hot tub for the couple weeks leading up to their race, at an increasing intervall. It is podcast # 25....definately worth a listen

Good luck at Syracuse!
2014-06-09 10:40 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by benihana

Not sure if you listen to Podcasts or not, but Triathlete Training podcast has some REALLY good information on Heat acclimation and what Elite level coaches have their athletes do in order to get heat acclimated - mainly sitting in a hot tub for the couple weeks leading up to their race, at an increasing intervall. It is podcast # 25....definately worth a listen

Good luck at Syracuse!

Thanks for the info. I don't listen to them...to be honest, I didn't know they existed. Where can I find them? Hot tub....I think I could get into that!

Ed: Just found them. Listening now.

Edited by LarchmontTri 2014-06-09 10:42 AM
2014-06-09 10:45 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Originally posted by benihana

Good luck at Syracuse!

Thanks for the info. I don't listen to them...to be honest, I didn't know they existed. Where can I find them? Hot tub....I think I could get into that!

Ed: Just found them. Listening now.

Good to hear!

In case anyone else wanted to join in on the fun, you can find them in the link below, or you can download them (free) from iTunes using the Podcast app on your iPad/iPhone. They come out every 2 weeks, and are ALWAYS the first thing I listen to!

http://triathletetraining.com/
2014-06-09 11:56 AM

User image

Great job everyone on your races this weekend. My race report is up.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Was good race except for swim. First OW swim this year and definitely a little under-prepared. Just could not get comfortable. Will use sleeveless for next race as the full felt too warm and constricting. Also, need a little more ocean and pool time. This was definitely a race for strong swimmers, since more time in water than bike or run. At least for me.
2014-06-09 12:50 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I had a decent weekend but very frustrated with my bike situation which I will explain....

2011 Trek SC 7.0 which I have had since 2012. Never had an issue before with the bike. A month ago I went into my LBS for a new fit (much Better) and a saddle test (Cobb Gen2-Love it). After taking it home and hoping on the trainer, I noticed that my seat post slid down a significant amount. Took it back to LBS and they put some pink gu stuff on it and sent it back to me. Went back and rode it for an hour and once again, seat tube went down. Took it back to LBS and they put carbon grit paste on it and said it would all be good and if not, I have a clamp issue. Went to my clubs sprint tri this saturday and within a mile of the bike ride, my tube slid all the way down and I had to ride back standing up and have my first DNF. Everytime they fixed it, they torqued it so I know it was on tight. I took it to another LBS where I bought it from and they took off the clamp and said it looked fine but they are getting a new one from Trek to install just incase. They told me that if that doesnt work, they will call Trek and see what they can do because it should be a manufactor problem. All the bike guys said they have never seen anything like this before. I am kinda pissed/kinda worried because I have a full Aqua Bike at the end of the month on flat, flat course and I do not want to have to use my roadie for it.

On the bright side, I set a swim PR by going 14:50 on my first OWS (half mile) this year and sighting was really good and I felt relaxed during the swim.

Did I mention I want my bike back and feel lonely without it?? I want to train on my tri bike, not my roadie.

Hope it all gets fixed this weekend. Kinda giving me the blues which I dont need right now.

2014-06-12 4:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
I really never thought I would say this but after almost 2 weeks of going, I really like the masters swims. OK I hate that they are at 730 at night but the workouts are killer. Had my butt smoked last night and enjoyed every bit of it. It went right along with the brick I did yesterday morning. I am just not much of one to train in groups. I find all the moving parts it always is a hassle and takes up more time. So I usually stay away and just go solo or with my wife. The swim is a bit different and it works so Im gonna keep going I guess
2014-06-12 7:11 AM
in reply to: mac3116

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mac3116 I really never thought I would say this but after almost 2 weeks of going, I really like the masters swims. OK I hate that they are at 730 at night but the workouts are killer. Had my butt smoked last night and enjoyed every bit of it. It went right along with the brick I did yesterday morning. I am just not much of one to train in groups. I find all the moving parts it always is a hassle and takes up more time. So I usually stay away and just go solo or with my wife. The swim is a bit different and it works so Im gonna keep going I guess

Nice.  I think a Masters program is a good way to keep an athlete "honest" with regards to effort as someone on deck is watching and you have to keep up in your lane.  I don't have a masters program near me unfortunately.  I work in the metro but my schedule doesn't lend itself to staying in town late or getting there early (I'd have to leave at 3:30 a.m.).  Glad you found a program that you like!

2014-06-12 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
Super pumped! My Polar V800 finally got here today. Had nothing planned but had to take it out for a 40min run once I got it setup. So far the thing is a beast and is 10 fold over my Garmin 910XT. I like the Polar Flow charting system. It lets me change setting, data field screens and basically everything on computer and it then feeds it to watch. Think I got it set, least for now and will give more info if anyone is interested like monday after I drop some more hours of training on it.
2014-06-15 1:00 PM

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Hope everyone is having a great weekend! I got in a nice 70 mile ride with 5000 feet of climbing yesterday and then today an 8 mile run before church and a 2000yd speed swim session. In my swim workout today and especially towards the end of my long open water swim on Wednesday, I really felt like I had turned a corner in my swim. I'm finally getting a tiny bit faster! Maybe I'll go back to the masters swim this week.
2014-06-15 7:46 PM

User image

New user
Paso Robles, CA
Hi, I'd like to join your group if you still have room. Some quick info, I'm training for a 1/2 ironman in October. I've done one half before, but it was several years ago. I've been working hard on my run, as I've had shin splint problems in the past. My bike is definitely my strongest sport, but I need to work on my climbing. I haven't been swimming recently, so I'm just getting back into it, I need to find a group to swim with. I'm thinking about getting a coach or at least an online training plan, so any advice would be great. I figure this is a good place to start!
Thanks,
Cindy

2014-06-16 9:54 AM
in reply to: R-Star

User image

Pro

Originally posted by R-Star Hi, I'd like to join your group if you still have room. Some quick info, I'm training for a 1/2 ironman in October. I've done one half before, but it was several years ago. I've been working hard on my run, as I've had shin splint problems in the past. My bike is definitely my strongest sport, but I need to work on my climbing. I haven't been swimming recently, so I'm just getting back into it, I need to find a group to swim with. I'm thinking about getting a coach or at least an online training plan, so any advice would be great. I figure this is a good place to start! Thanks, Cindy

Hi Cindy.  There is still room in this group and you're more than welcome to join.  You still have plenty of time before an October HIM.  Welcome!!

2014-06-16 11:02 AM

User image

Hope all the Dads had a great Father's Day.

Long ride Sat 70 miles and about 4500 feet of climbing. I actually bonked for the first time ever. Was a combination of lack of nutrition, electrolytes and going too hard early. There were three big climbs and I think I pushed too hard of the first two. Halfway thru the third, my legs went dead, I lost focus, felt like I wanted to throw up. Don't know how I made the last 2 miles. In fact I don't really remember too much. Took a long rest at top and limped home and laid on the couch for a couple hours. So lesson learned, always take more nutrition and hydration than you think you need.

Took it easy yesterday but managed a 5 mile run in the late afternoon.
2014-06-16 1:06 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Pro

Originally posted by StevenC Hope all the Dads had a great Father's Day. Long ride Sat 70 miles and about 4500 feet of climbing. I actually bonked for the first time ever. Was a combination of lack of nutrition, electrolytes and going too hard early. There were three big climbs and I think I pushed too hard of the first two. Halfway thru the third, my legs went dead, I lost focus, felt like I wanted to throw up. Don't know how I made the last 2 miles. In fact I don't really remember too much. Took a long rest at top and limped home and laid on the couch for a couple hours. So lesson learned, always take more nutrition and hydration than you think you need. Took it easy yesterday but managed a 5 mile run in the late afternoon.

Definitely a lesson learned    Just another reason why practicing your race pace and nutrition is critically important well before the race

2014-06-16 7:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Hello, I'd like to join the group if that's cool. I'll post a full bio, but real quick...my first triathlon was in 2009, I finished IMAZ in 2012 and some other races in between. I have an "international" distance race on June 29th and I've got Silverman 70.3 in October. I did a couple mentor groups when I started out and I'd like to get back into one now. Thanks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31