BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2014-05-25 8:38 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Extended Weekend is Here.
4.54 mile run this A.M. (very humid), now off for a day of fun with the family!

2014-05-25 4:56 PM

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
Hi Todd,

Can I join?

I am a wife, mother and teacher. I started running last fall, and had a couple of events under my belt. While training for my first 1/2 marathon (Which was today in Ottawa), I became injured. First with herniated disc, then plantar fasciitis. Swimming has been my God send as I healed from the first and am nursing the second. I signed up for a women's tri in Hampton, Nb for June 8th. I have only been on a race bike one time. I know that I need these three activities in moderation to give me on overall healthy body. I am not a fast runner. I am not a fast swimmer. I assume I will not be a fast biker either. I just want to be strong and "do it".

I struggle with motivation, and especially after the injuries. I need accountability that won't quit.

Your story of becoming smoke free is encouraging and inspiring.

Lori
2014-05-25 5:46 PM
in reply to: Lori Carson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lori Carson

Hi Todd,

Can I join?

I am a wife, mother and teacher. I started running last fall, and had a couple of events under my belt. While training for my first 1/2 marathon (Which was today in Ottawa), I became injured. First with herniated disc, then plantar fasciitis. Swimming has been my God send as I healed from the first and am nursing the second. I signed up for a women's tri in Hampton, Nb for June 8th. I have only been on a race bike one time. I know that I need these three activities in moderation to give me on overall healthy body. I am not a fast runner. I am not a fast swimmer. I assume I will not be a fast biker either. I just want to be strong and "do it".

I struggle with motivation, and especially after the injuries. I need accountability that won't quit.

Your story of becoming smoke free is encouraging and inspiring.

Lori

You are more then welcome, especially considering my wife is a teacher and and mother as well. Keep working through it, there is light at the other side. Again welcome
2014-05-25 8:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, New York
Subject: Headwinds... gotta love them (NOT!)
OK, I went for my longest bike ride yet (35 miles) on Saturday. I did an out and back. Out was a dream. Back was a nightmare! I did not realize (heading south) I was enjoying a huge tale wind. As I turned around it took me all of a 1/8 of a mile to realize I was in for it. Oh, BTW the ride back north was also uphill with a miserable hill just before I got home. Looking back I'm glad I did it, but man that last 5 mile climb took ALL that I had.

The good news? I wasn't totally crippled today! And I'm actually looking forward to doing something - maybe even my 1st open water swim - tomorrow!

- Matt

Edited by mbcoulter 2014-05-25 8:22 PM
2014-05-25 8:38 PM
in reply to: mbcoulter

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Headwinds... gotta love them (NOT!)
Originally posted by mbcoulter

OK, I went for my longest bike ride yet (35 miles) on Saturday. I did an out and back. Out was a dream. Back was a nightmare! I did not realize (heading south) I was enjoying a huge tale wind. As I turned around it took me all of a 1/8 of a mile to realize I was in for it. Oh, BTW the ride back north was also uphill with a miserable hill just before I got home. Looking back I'm glad I did it, but man that last 5 mile climb took ALL that I had.

The good news? I wasn't totally crippled today! And I'm actually looking forward to doing something - maybe even my 1st open water swim - tomorrow!

- Matt
[/QUOTE

Congrats on the new long ride. I have been in that exact position before and thought what the hell did i just do. Like you though it made me stronger and helped me push through the next time. Great job again and congrats Matt!!!
2014-05-26 4:09 PM

User image

Subject: Re: official USA triathlon member
I signed up for two summer sprint tri's and bought a years membership for USA triathlon. I found discount codes for both races, so my daughter and I are registered. A question for those that know- is the USA triathlon membership year start from the date I signed up or is it only for the 2014 season?
I've been thinking about buying a used road bike- looking around. Also, waiting til I have some extra money. Happy Memorial Day everyone

2014-05-26 4:31 PM

User image

I'm already inspired by all of the workouts posted and the great race report.

Just signed myself and my 11-year-old daughter up for an "Ultra-Mini Tri" next month. It's 4.5 laps in a pool, a 3 mile bike ride and a half-mile run. This is geared toward families and I thought it would be fun for us to do this together. And, since I haven't officially started training yet for a sprint distance tri, I'm confident I can do this race without incident or injury!

The bad news is the my floor pump is not working and I can't get my road bike tires pumped up. My hubby tore it apart and we discovered the o-ring is bad. Have to order a rebuild kit. Might also be time to invest in a smaller pump for my frame...small set back.

GimpyRUNR

2014-05-26 7:58 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Re: official USA triathlon member
Originally posted by Kris67

I signed up for two summer sprint tri's and bought a years membership for USA triathlon. I found discount codes for both races, so my daughter and I are registered. A question for those that know- is the USA triathlon membership year start from the date I signed up or is it only for the 2014 season?
I've been thinking about buying a used road bike- looking around. Also, waiting til I have some extra money. Happy Memorial Day everyone

First, congrats on your registrations and especially being able to share them with your daughter! To answer your question, you membership is one year from date of purchase, so your good tell this time next year.
2014-05-26 8:02 PM
in reply to: GimpyRUNR

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GimpyRUNR

I'm already inspired by all of the workouts posted and the great race report.

Just signed myself and my 11-year-old daughter up for an "Ultra-Mini Tri" next month. It's 4.5 laps in a pool, a 3 mile bike ride and a half-mile run. This is geared toward families and I thought it would be fun for us to do this together. And, since I haven't officially started training yet for a sprint distance tri, I'm confident I can do this race without incident or injury!

The bad news is the my floor pump is not working and I can't get my road bike tires pumped up. My hubby tore it apart and we discovered the o-ring is bad. Have to order a rebuild kit. Might also be time to invest in a smaller pump for my frame...small set back.

GimpyRUNR

Congrats to you as well especially for doing so with your daughter. It is awesome how yall are including your daughters. Stinks about the pump, that's why I have a really good one and a 10.00 walmart pump as well.
2014-05-26 8:33 PM

User image

Subject: 5 mile race results
Hi all,

After four days of rest to be sure that my knee was ready, I completed a 5-miler. The first mile was SLOOOOOOOW - nearly 12,000 runners in one start. It took four minutes just to get to the starting line. My first split was over 12 minutes. The race had over 2700 people running the 5-mile distance (the rest were running the half marathon). Results below:

Place: 1202 Division Place: 259
Division: F3039 Nettime: 52:12
Pace: 10:27 Guntime: 56:23
Ag: 33 Sex: F

I'm feeling pretty good today after some icing and stretching. I have a 5K this Sunday so back to training tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Hooray for Summer!

Melissa
2014-05-26 10:21 PM
in reply to: Meloumoo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: 5 mile race results
Originally posted by Meloumoo

Hi all,

After four days of rest to be sure that my knee was ready, I completed a 5-miler. The first mile was SLOOOOOOOW - nearly 12,000 runners in one start. It took four minutes just to get to the starting line. My first split was over 12 minutes. The race had over 2700 people running the 5-mile distance (the rest were running the half marathon). Results below:

Place: 1202 Division Place: 259
Division: F3039 Nettime: 52:12
Pace: 10:27 Guntime: 56:23
Ag: 33 Sex: F

I'm feeling pretty good today after some icing and stretching. I have a 5K this Sunday so back to training tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Hooray for Summer!

Melissa

Congrats Melissa on the race and at a very impressive average. Way to go! It's kind of a pain the more runners there are but I always find it cool that so many are gathered for a common goal of finishing. We line up and talk to people before and after without a thought of time, which to me is really cool.

2014-05-27 8:36 AM

User image

Glad to see everyone stuck to the training and the challenge of excercise during the hioliday. I kept to my workouts this weekend, but I don't think I will be biking back to the gym. You don't realize how hilly or how much traffic maybe on a road, until you've done it on a bike!

Jean - I looked for months driving myself crazy over a bike. I ended up going to a LBS and bought an entry level road bike. Its a bit pricey, but the shop was able to fit me and I get free tune ups and on bike wheel truing for as long as I own the bike. I think if I had to do over, I would go with a used mountain bike or hybrid because of the upright position on the bike. I love riding the road bike now, but the first trip was nerve racking on those thin tires, and I hadn't rode a bike in 20 years!

Also glad to see some new faces. Welcome.

Mike
2014-05-27 8:48 AM
in reply to: Mr10670

User image

I'm in the same boat when it comes to bikes. I bought a cheap mountain bike to get used to riding but I will need a road bike as this mountain bike is painfully slow. Judy curious what you spent in an entry level road bike from a LBS so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks,
Melissa
2014-05-27 8:54 AM

User image

, New York
I just bought a used road bike from a local shop. Looking around at new ones I'd be spending $700 for an entry level. I feel very lucky that I found a used bike that fit me. (5' 6") This Klein was $600 and when I compared the two the weight of the used bike was WAY less. So far the bike and the shop have been great. We went back and got my wife a new hybrid bike a few weeks later.
2014-05-27 1:22 PM
in reply to: mbcoulter

User image

Subject: Race Prep
Good to hear everyone is staying active. If trying to save money on a bicycle, I would also recommend searching for used bicycles: a good $1,000 bicycle bought 10 years ago would probably cost about $200-$400 today.

I'm 5 days away from my first sprint tri. There have been many hurdles in my training over the last few weeks with the most critical being a calf injury that still persists. So this is what I'm trying to tell myself:

1) Have fun. I've never swam in a wetsuit, cycled in SPD-SL pedals (just equipped today), or practiced a brick workout. I'm wonderfully unprepared to take this event too seriously, so don't compete and just enjoy the new experience.
2) Again, don't try to compete.
3) And most importantly, finish injury free. There are more races throughout the summer and I don't want to be sidelined.
2014-05-27 7:42 PM

User image

Hi,

I'd love to join the group, if I may.

NAME: el penguino/Nancy

STORY: I'm 44 year old triathlon newbie-I'm planning on doing my first sprint this summer at some point. I was in a different group last round (great group) but it doesn't seem to be reforming, as far as I've seen.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for over 13 years, with two great boys (11/6).

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I am really focused on the half marathon I am doing this weekend, not as well trained as I wanted to be, but spring hit me hard and I lost my training a little. Getting it back now, and I will finish the race, plodding slowly. I've been almost exclusively running for the past month or so, but as soon as I'm past the half, I'm going to get back to swimming and biking. My DH put together a nice road bike for me. I'm ready to get some miles on it. I worked with a swim coach for about a month over the winter, so I ahve some good idea of what I need to work on there. I want to get to run 3X, swim 3X, bike 3X. One of the bikes, runs and swims with my 11 year old, who we are trying to gently encourage to get more active.

2013 RACES: None- I started last spring loosing weight, started to run. oops, wait-I ran a turkey trot 5K, and did the Thanksgiving to News Year run every day streak. I also started thinking about trying to do a sprint or two this coming summer.

2014 RACES: I am running the Covered Bridge Half Marathon in Vermont this weekend, and then I'm hoping to do 1-2 sprint triathlons- there is a local group that runs a well organized one centered around a local lake. Oh, and maybe run as part of a team marathon this fall-not sure yet, my sister asked, I haven't heard anything since!

WEIGHTLOSS: Lost about 50 pounds last year, have put some back on. I'd like to get about 20 pounds off to get me to a healthy weight for my size. Goal is somewhere around 135 (I'm 5'4" female).

Edited by el penguino 2014-05-27 7:51 PM

2014-05-27 9:44 PM

User image

Hi Turtles,

Just dropping a line to say hello. It's great to see a lot of activity in the group.

I've been working flat out lately and then caught a dose of the flu so I haven't trained for nearly 3 weeks now. I'm not too worried as I'll be on holidays in a month so I'll make up for it then.

Rod
2014-05-28 9:11 AM

Subject: New Distance PB and Swim workout question
I ran 7 miles last night. This is the farthest I have ran. Pace was great the first 4 miles, but dropped a bit in the last few. Now if my swim would increase like my bike and run, I would be VERY happy. Swimming still is very hard for me. I have been swimming for about 6 weeks now. I usually try to do 300x1 and then do 100m at a time after that. The break in between 100's is usually about a minute. I swam 1000m total this morning. I am increasing distance every other week by 200m also. I am trying to increase the first set (300x1) by 50 meters a week. Any thoughts on the workout? Anything I am missing? I have no swimming background except laying on a float with a cold one in hand.

Thanks,

Shane
2014-05-28 1:55 PM
in reply to: shanehurley497

User image

, New York
Subject: RE: New Distance PB and Swim workout question
I'm new to this whole tri thing too but I am an OK swimmer. Best option? Try to take a some swimming lessons. The drills they can show you are priceless. My swim lessons were 25+ years ago but I'm an OK swimmer - it came back to me pretty quickly... Here are a few suggestions:

1) Relax!

2) Stretch out and try to make yourself as long as possible

3) Keep your head down - look at the bottom of the pool

4) Find a breathing rate that works for you and stick with it. (I breath every stroke)

5) Try to look behind you when you take your breath - this works well if you're able to keep your head down

6) Point your toes behind you and try not to bend your knees while kicking. (kick should come from the hips)
2014-05-28 1:56 PM
in reply to: shanehurley497

User image

Rod, hope you start feeling better soon.

Shane, 7 miles is awesome. I really like mixing in swim workout where I just do 1 set and go for distance. For example, maybe try to swim 800 m nonstop next time. To do this, think slow and relaxed, and mix in alternate strokes as necessary (e.g., breaststroke, back float... dead-man float).
2014-05-28 2:53 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Shane,

There are some good videos you can watch on YouTube that can help with basic techniques. Just search "triathlon swimming" and there will be a whole bunch of videos that pop up. I use YouTube for biking techniques and it seems to help me out.

Mike

2014-05-28 5:33 PM

User image

To increase endurance, try an interval pyramid. Swim 1 pool length, then take a break. Then two lengths, break, four lengths, break. When you max out, go back down the pyramid.

At first, you can rest as long as you need. Once your swim endurance improves, try to only rest 10 seconds for each pool length completed. Then, eventually, stop resting and replace it with a lap of kickboard or an alternate stroke.

Are there master's classes in your area? They usually offer a class that's the step before being ready for master's class.

Good luck,
Melissa

Edited by Meloumoo 2014-05-28 7:47 PM
2014-05-29 3:48 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi Lori and Nancy, and welcome! Looking forward to virtual training with you .

Shane, getting to 1000m in the first 6 weeks of swim training is pretty impressive. It seems to take much more effort and time to make the gains in swimming, so stick with it. I second everyone else's advice, do a bit of googling and you tubing, try out some of the things you find and see if they help you. I found Total Immersion helped me a lot (balance and streamlining) early on, and more recently I've taken more from Swim Smooth (similar, but without the glide as you reach forwards).

Cass, the first sprint is just a few days away! That's awesome ! Get stuck in, enjoy yourself, and we'll be looking forward to your race report .

Melissa, great result on the run . Yep, so many runners makes for a great atmosphere, but also those small annoyances--people under your feet, swerving in front of you, the queue for the toilets... Lots of fun though.

2014-05-29 7:03 AM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Race Prep
Originally posted by cassowary

Good to hear everyone is staying active. If trying to save money on a bicycle, I would also recommend searching for used bicycles: a good $1,000 bicycle bought 10 years ago would probably cost about $200-$400 today.

I'm 5 days away from my first sprint tri. There have been many hurdles in my training over the last few weeks with the most critical being a calf injury that still persists. So this is what I'm trying to tell myself:

1) Have fun. I've never swam in a wetsuit, cycled in SPD-SL pedals (just equipped today), or practiced a brick workout. I'm wonderfully unprepared to take this event too seriously, so don't compete and just enjoy the new experience.
2) Again, don't try to compete.
3) And most importantly, finish injury free. There are more races throughout the summer and I don't want to be sidelined.

That sounds like a great plan to me. You will still push some but the great thing for you that that you will know where you are when you hit the run and go more / less as appropriate. Good Luck this weekend, I know you will do great.
2014-05-29 7:18 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by el penguino

Hi,

I'd love to join the group, if I may.

NAME: el penguino/Nancy

STORY: I'm 44 year old triathlon newbie-I'm planning on doing my first sprint this summer at some point. I was in a different group last round (great group) but it doesn't seem to be reforming, as far as I've seen.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for over 13 years, with two great boys (11/6).

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I am really focused on the half marathon I am doing this weekend, not as well trained as I wanted to be, but spring hit me hard and I lost my training a little. Getting it back now, and I will finish the race, plodding slowly. I've been almost exclusively running for the past month or so, but as soon as I'm past the half, I'm going to get back to swimming and biking. My DH put together a nice road bike for me. I'm ready to get some miles on it. I worked with a swim coach for about a month over the winter, so I ahve some good idea of what I need to work on there. I want to get to run 3X, swim 3X, bike 3X. One of the bikes, runs and swims with my 11 year old, who we are trying to gently encourage to get more active.

2013 RACES: None- I started last spring loosing weight, started to run. oops, wait-I ran a turkey trot 5K, and did the Thanksgiving to News Year run every day streak. I also started thinking about trying to do a sprint or two this coming summer.

2014 RACES: I am running the Covered Bridge Half Marathon in Vermont this weekend, and then I'm hoping to do 1-2 sprint triathlons- there is a local group that runs a well organized one centered around a local lake. Oh, and maybe run as part of a team marathon this fall-not sure yet, my sister asked, I haven't heard anything since!

WEIGHTLOSS: Lost about 50 pounds last year, have put some back on. I'd like to get about 20 pounds off to get me to a healthy weight for my size. Goal is somewhere around 135 (I'm 5'4" female).

Nancy, welcome to the group, we are glad to have you. Sounds to me that you have an really good grasp on where you are and where you are going. Best of luck this weekend at your Half Marathon. You will certainly have a great base for those sprints and have knowledge of the mental sides of things for your sprints. Again welcome and have fun this weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.