BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-05-20 8:52 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Auburn, AL
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

Originally posted by thor67

Thor: 3swim/3run/3 bike. continue on with weight loss.

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon
Originally posted by Burd
Originally posted by SportzVision
Originally posted by Qua17 Goals for the Week 5/19/14 DQ - 1) Pack for Rev3, 2) Practice transitions, 3) Create a plan for rev3, 4) Ice everyday, 5) Lose 2 pounds
Cynthia's goals for the week: 1) pack a lunch everyday 2) eat every three hours 3) follow the training plan and include yoga 2x per week
Alex - 1) swim 2x, bike 3x, run 3x, stength 3x. 2) Eat more with better choices 3) Stretch and roll 2x a day everyday
Charles: Keep on track on nutrition, follow the plan, don't forget anything when I head to Boston on Saturday.

Matt - Don't get Mumbai Belly (I'm in India for the week), 3x run and 2x bike at the hotel, swim and bike when I get home.

2014-05-20 9:51 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Goals for this week:

1) Get on a streak of workouts. Something every day this week.
2) Swap out workouts to avoid the weather killing a day.
3) Oats for breakfast every day. No cheat meals.
2014-05-20 10:22 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Good morning friends.

I'm getting really pumped. Rev3 Quassy athlete guide came out yesterday, and I'm racing my first HIM in 12 days. Body feels great, I'm the lightest I've been in my adult life, bike's packed up, and I'm ready to *rock*. The hard part is keeping the boss off my back, because, let's face it, I'm leaving in three days for vacation and racing, and I've all but mentally checked out here.

Here's a discussion topic: What do you do to mentally prepare for a race? Sprint, Oly, HIM, IM, swim, bike, or run - what have you found successful, what hasn't worked, and what do you like to do to get in the zone?

2014-05-20 12:23 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Here's a discussion topic: What do you do to mentally prepare for a race? Sprint, Oly, HIM, IM, swim, bike, or run - what have you found successful, what hasn't worked, and what do you like to do to get in the zone?

One of the things I like to do is scout the venue as much as possible. In most cases I will not get to drive/ride the route before hand but I go mad on google street view and make sure I have reviewed as much of the course as possible. One good example of this is my upcoming event at Binbrook Ontario. Street view goes quite a way into the park and the day that the street view car went in there it got pictures of the multisport canada trucks setting up! So even though I have never been there I have a good idea of where the transition area is.

I also always put the course into a tool like mapmyride and look at the elevation profile. Then go out and do some training with a similar profile if possible. Tools like that often have a flyover option to follow the route.

These two bits of planning help build my confidence. Its nice not to be confronted by a railroad crossing, steel bridge or cattle grid you were not expecting.

Also there are some other good sources of intelligence on the site. For example if you race Guelph Lake in Ontario you can watch this guy do the try-a-tri route in full with a go-pro strapped to his head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjhNWQ3qKKc
2014-05-20 12:37 PM

User image

Expert

Good morning friends.

I'm getting really pumped. Rev3 Quassy athlete guide came out yesterday, and I'm racing my first HIM in 12 days. Body feels great, I'm the lightest I've been in my adult life, bike's packed up, and I'm ready to *rock*. The hard part is keeping the boss off my back, because, let's face it, I'm leaving in three days for vacation and racing, and I've all but mentally checked out here.

Charles - Thanks for posting such a great question. Just a quick note to the group and to build on Thor's excellent post (he doesn't have many so you need to pay attention when he does ) but this is your group and everyone in the group is here to help you. We are all in this together and there is always something new to learn. So please - pose questions whenever you have them. There is a ton of knowledge and experience in the BDAAS so feel free to pick the group's collective brain.
2014-05-20 12:47 PM

User image

Expert

Good morning friends.

To answer your question about mentally preparing for a race - not enough and I need to do more not only to boost confidence but to avoid any suprises. Here is what I currently do:

- Check out the route on map my ride and try to replicate those conditions during my long rides and runs. I'm doing Quassy with Charles and it's a hill beast of a course. So last weekend, I specifically chose the hilliest 50 mile route to boost my confidence and get my body ready.
- A lot of races will post videos of the route. I'll watch these.
- I will check out the course map and create a nutrition plan.
- I will read the athlete's packet.
- I'll read previous race reports here on BT. These are incredibly helpful in terms of designing a race strategy
- I will create a stratigy/plan for the race and then share it with the group to get feedback. I broke 3 hours on my first OLY thanks to the advice I got on BT.
- I have my wife write my plan, expected times, and goals for the race down on a Joker playing card. This helps me stay focused and the joker reminds me to have fun. I keep the card in the pocket of my bike shirt.
- I prepack the week before and practice transitions the week of
- I have my family write messages to me on my body with a sharpie marker
- When I go to sleep I visualize myself going through the course.

2014-05-20 12:52 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
I just got back from the gym where I did a 20 minute PT workout and a 2400y swim. I set a new record for my mile (39:22) so I decided to celebrate with a beer at lunch. At the end of my workout, my plan asked me to swim 3x100 at an ever increasing pace. To motivate myself, I promised myself a grill cheese sandwich at lunch if I broke 2:00 for all the 100. I finished the last one in 1:48 - a new 100 record.

That grilled cheese sandwich and Yuengling Light Lager (I've my goal to hit 190 for Quassy on June 1 - so I was good) was tasty! I hope everyone is having a great training day!
2014-05-20 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by Qua17

Good morning friends.

To answer your question about mentally preparing for a race - not enough and I need to do more not only to boost confidence but to avoid any suprises. Here is what I currently do:

- Check out the route on map my ride and try to replicate those conditions during my long rides and runs. I'm doing Quassy with Charles and it's a hill beast of a course. So last weekend, I specifically chose the hilliest 50 mile route to boost my confidence and get my body ready.
- A lot of races will post videos of the route. I'll watch these.
- I will check out the course map and create a nutrition plan.
- I will read the athlete's packet.
- I'll read previous race reports here on BT. These are incredibly helpful in terms of designing a race strategy
- I will create a stratigy/plan for the race and then share it with the group to get feedback. I broke 3 hours on my first OLY thanks to the advice I got on BT.
- I have my wife write my plan, expected times, and goals for the race down on a Joker playing card. This helps me stay focused and the joker reminds me to have fun. I keep the card in the pocket of my bike shirt.
- I prepack the week before and practice transitions the week of
- I have my family write messages to me on my body with a sharpie marker
- When I go to sleep I visualize myself going through the course.

I don't do as much preparation as I should since they are only sprints and not much is needed. However I do sit and stare at the swim and mentally get ready since open water still kinda freaks me out. I spend a good hour going over everything that will happen (good and bad) and soak in the beauty of the water and surrounding area. Kinda like a meditation by the waterside. Very relaxing.
2014-05-20 1:57 PM

User image

New user
Hey folks new thread is nice here is a repeat of my stats - I know I haven't checked in much but I try to from time to time.
Story - started doing tris to lose baby weight (kiddo is 6, some of the weight is as well...) I bounce to bodybuilding every once in a while and I am hoping my time in the gym over the winter will help me move faster on the course.
Family Status - 3 boys (6, 11, 13) all play football while hubby coaches them. The older boys did a few kids of steel triathlons but I have lost them to the grid iron and the rugby field.
Current training - I spend a lot of time on the bike, been off the run because of problems with my ITB {sigh}
Race plans - I wanted to push to Oly but family obligations mean I will just have to stick with sprint one more year and try for a strong, top 10 finish.
Weight loss - stubborn baby weight that seems resistant to cardio - probably due to a weakness for the next category and being 40-something
Favourite beer - Innis & Gunn, Alexander Keith's
Other - I live most of my life on a dead run even when not actually training. I am a wildlife biologist and spend a lot of my time behind my desk wishing I was in the field instead of sending summer students out to have all the fun.
2014-05-20 3:35 PM
in reply to: ripariangal

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

After a week of "too hot to run" weather and a long busy weekend I was finally able to get a good run in today. It was an easy 4 miles but felt good to get out and get moving! Over the weekend I tried a couple beers from "Full Circle" brewing in Fresno, CA. Their pale was very tasty with a nice bite and perfect for the warm weather, whereas their IPA was middle ground and could have used a bit more of a hop character.

"Hi!" to all the new folks, welcome to the group!

2014-05-20 6:52 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by MOlsen

After a week of "too hot to run" weather and a long busy weekend I was finally able to get a good run in today. It was an easy 4 miles but felt good to get out and get moving! Over the weekend I tried a couple beers from "Full Circle" brewing in Fresno, CA. Their pale was very tasty with a nice bite and perfect for the warm weather, whereas their IPA was middle ground and could have used a bit more of a hop character.

"Hi!" to all the new folks, welcome to the group!

"too hot to run" eh? I have to say I have zero sympathy for you It's freaking 90+ here with super high humidity. It's like Africa but hotter. At least you got a run in and for that bravo....good work.

2014-05-21 6:06 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

I'd like to come back if possible. I'll give my background soon.

Finished my first race this past weekend. I didn't get eaten by a shark so I will call it a win.
2014-05-21 6:24 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

. Here's a discussion topic: What do you do to mentally prepare for a race? Sprint, Oly, HIM, IM, swim, bike, or run - what have you found successful, what hasn't worked, and what do you like to do to get in the zone?

To mentally prepare I like to have as much information about the race as possible.  My favorite way to do this is to read race reports.  You can get a really good feel for what the race is like by reading these. 

2014-05-21 9:51 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

Finished up a trainer ride yesterday, so I rewarded myself with a patio dinner and a Memphis Made Bent Note IPA (http://www.memphismadebrewing.com/beers/). Delicious
2014-05-21 10:09 AM
in reply to: Omne38103

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Mind if I join your group?  

I'm an age group triathlete (45-49) and home brewer!  In April I finished my second 70.3 at the Ironman Texas in Galveston then a half mary and 45 mile ride five weeks later.  (Not really a dual-a-thon just opening a new stretch of highway and had several events).  I've done a few Olympic distances and two sprints as well as several half mary's and one marathon.  Trying to decide which race is next while it feels really good to get back into the gym for some muscle correction, balance, and strength training.

Been married 20 years with one kid in college and the other going into her high school senior year.  I work shift work at a local power plant, seven on, and seven off.  Yeah, I work every other week.  Well, got off work at 6am, ran six miles, now bottling five gallons of an American Brown Ale so gtg.

2014-05-21 10:32 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Illinois
New faces, welcome.

One of the downsides of training for full-distance is that I don't have time for anything else right now - I planted five Cascadia hops last year, and they are going crazy this year. I wanted to get into home brewing, but that looks like a 2015 event.

Ran to work this morning - or rather, ran to my new gym near my office. I'm very lucky in that my wife and I work about 1.5 miles apart, so I just tossed my work clothes in her car, ran to her office, then showered at my gym, and showed up for work having ran 11 miles that morning. Better to run in the morning when it's 65, than this afternoon when it's 85.

It's weird, sometimes - understanding the "new normal" of life. What kind of nutso runs 11 miles on a Wednesday morning? Even as a I look in the mirror and see the hints of abs sticking out and the scale creeps lower and lower, I still feel like the fat guy I'll always be. Sometimes it feels like I'm faking it

2014-05-21 10:56 AM

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Name: Jeff

I hope the group is still open and that you will accept a new member.

Story: I have been struggling with my weight since my first child was born in 2007. Our family moved to Calgary, AB in 2012 and I was able to start riding my bike to work. During that time I was able to drop from 265 lb to 235 lb. However my attempt to continue through the winter was unsuccessful and this winter I went back up to 260 lb again with much disappointment. I suspect much of the issue is that I like beer too much but I can get to that later. Last year my wife competed in her first triathlon and until I watched the event I didn’t think anyone my size could possibly complete even a tri-a-tri. Well that changed my mind. My new year’s resolution was to get into better shape (isn’t everyone’s) and to compete in a tri-a-tri event. Well I did! I did the Tri this Triathlon in Ardrie this past weekend and had a respectable time of 54:38: 300 m Swim @ 6:15, 10 km Bike @ 28:03, & 2.5 km Run @ 20:22. And I have dropped 10 lb to 250 lb.

Family Status: Fantastic supportive wife, and 3 excellent children, 2, 5, & 6. As you can imagine getting training time can be difficult, especially when my wife is also training.

Current Training: Just completed my first Tri-a-tri. Now I am starting to train for a sprint in September. I do all of my training early mornings as it is the only time I have. This usually also includes my bike commute to work (13 km each way). So getting bricks in is pretty easy, however the bike then swim is a bit backward but still counts doesn't it? I occasionally get out for a longer ride or run on weekends also, but usually just hiking with the family which includes carrying a 2 year old on my back. Training has not gone according to my plan as I have been battling with Plantar Fasciitis. The PT and orthotics have helped and aren’t stopping me but it isn’t pleasant. If you have experienced it you know what I am talking about. If you haven’t experienced it I hope you never do.

2014 Races: Airdrie Tri-A-Tri; Tri it distance: Completed 18-May-14. Innisfail Triathlon; Sprint distance: 13-Sep-14

Beer Preference: I will drink any type of beer. My favourites are hoppy IPA’s but I rarely turn down a brew. This is why I have trouble with my weight...

Weight Loss: 2014 YTD down 10 lb to 250 lb. 2014 goal is 220 lb and long term is my doctor recommended weight of 190 lb.

Ok I think that’s it!

Cheers!
Jeff
2014-05-21 11:12 AM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Hey Jeff, I suspect you hitting the Big Rock and Wild Rose beers do no help weight loss. All in moderation! (just don't drink the Minhas)

If you have done a tri a tri already why not do a sprint in August as well? Lake Chaparral Triathlon is early August....it will help keep you focussed on weight loss and training.

Good to have another Albertan in the group!

Cheers!

Originally posted by Jeakins Name: Jeff I hope the group is still open and that you will accept a new member. Story: I have been struggling with my weight since my first child was born in 2007. Our family moved to Calgary, AB in 2012 and I was able to start riding my bike to work. During that time I was able to drop from 265 lb to 235 lb. However my attempt to continue through the winter was unsuccessful and this winter I went back up to 260 lb again with much disappointment. I suspect much of the issue is that I like beer too much but I can get to that later. Last year my wife competed in her first triathlon and until I watched the event I didn’t think anyone my size could possibly complete even a tri-a-tri. Well that changed my mind. My new year’s resolution was to get into better shape (isn’t everyone’s) and to compete in a tri-a-tri event. Well I did! I did the Tri this Triathlon in Ardrie this past weekend and had a respectable time of 54:38: 300 m Swim @ 6:15, 10 km Bike @ 28:03, & 2.5 km Run @ 20:22. And I have dropped 10 lb to 250 lb. Family Status: Fantastic supportive wife, and 3 excellent children, 2, 5, & 6. As you can imagine getting training time can be difficult, especially when my wife is also training. Current Training: Just completed my first Tri-a-tri. Now I am starting to train for a sprint in September. I do all of my training early mornings as it is the only time I have. This usually also includes my bike commute to work (13 km each way). So getting bricks in is pretty easy, however the bike then swim is a bit backward but still counts doesn't it? I occasionally get out for a longer ride or run on weekends also, but usually just hiking with the family which includes carrying a 2 year old on my back. Training has not gone according to my plan as I have been battling with Plantar Fasciitis. The PT and orthotics have helped and aren’t stopping me but it isn’t pleasant. If you have experienced it you know what I am talking about. If you haven’t experienced it I hope you never do. 2014 Races: Airdrie Tri-A-Tri; Tri it distance: Completed 18-May-14. Innisfail Triathlon; Sprint distance: 13-Sep-14 Beer Preference: I will drink any type of beer. My favourites are hoppy IPA’s but I rarely turn down a brew. This is why I have trouble with my weight... Weight Loss: 2014 YTD down 10 lb to 250 lb. 2014 goal is 220 lb and long term is my doctor recommended weight of 190 lb. Ok I think that’s it! Cheers! Jeff

2014-05-21 11:53 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Just got in from my first serious training ride with the new ride. Maybe it's mental or whatever but I'm not complaining. I stayed in Z2 low Z3 on my HR for the ride. 1:00:39 time, 19.90 miles, 19.69 mph. This is a solid 2 mph increase for the same effort. It is super comfortable too. No aches or pains. It felt very natural. I could have held this pace all day and I think the position as well.

Well enough loving on the new ride. Time to shower and head to the gym. Got a swim tonight as well.

Go get it team BDAAS!
2014-05-21 12:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Hi David,
Thanks for the BDAAS membership
NAME: Tom Lakatos

STORY: In 2010 (turning 50) I thought I would do the NYC triathlon on a whim, dumb idea. Was in a car accident and it ruined my training anyway. Just as well, I went and volunteered at the race and realized I would never had finished. Doing an OLY as a first tri would be crazy, for me anyway. So I rebooted, and started to train, for real this time, and finished my first sprint tri on 4/17/11. I decided to put tri's on my bucket list because I remember watching one of the first Ironman's in Hawaii in the early 80's. I have never been athletic, I have a Master's in chemistry. And I had open heart surgery at 6 years old (1966). So my motto is: "I'm in it, to finish it" - no delusions of grandeur here (thanks Han Solo)
So, now that I have a defibrillator (battery back up) I figure I can keep going. LOL My doctor thinks it's a great idea and I'm looking forward to my first OLY in August, yes, the NYC triathlon. Can't wait to swim in the Hudson! How bad can it be????

FAMILY STATUS: I am currently single and my son is 26 (he bought me the beer kit - I raised him well, LOL)

CURRENT TRAINING: I hired a coach and tri-ing to train every day. 3-4 days of swimming, 2-3 days of biking and running. I used to do 60 mile bike rides, so that is the "easy" segment. I REALLY need to increase my endurance. Tough part is losing wait. In 2011 I lost 20 pounds. I finally broke 195 last year, but now have put back about 10 and have had a real hard time losing weight. Hope the coach will help.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I finished the Riverwinds Tri for the third time now, my first race in 2011. It went well, I didn't come in last and PR by dropping another 1 minute 30 seconds. I'm still slow, but I finished.

2014 RACES: This year I'm going for quality over quantity. 7/19 NJ State Tri (sprint); 8/3 NYC Tri OLY

BEER PREFERENCE: My favorite has been Sam Adams and all it's varieties. Certainly Octoberfest is my fav followed by winter lager. The cherry wheat is great with pizza. An Uno's by me now carries several craft beers and it's great to go there too. I have been to Portland Oregon (work HQ) and the beer out there is really awesome. I mostly like dark, malty, and chocolaty the best.
Currently waiting for my first batch to carbonate, Mexican Cerveza - taste test seemed pretty good, so we'll see. Currently fermenting in the keg is a Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner. Once I try these, I'll put my chemistry/cooking skills towards the next batch.

Any suggestions?

WEIGHT LOSS: Started at 226 back in 2010, hit 195 in 2011, now at 205. I want to back to 180, 170 would be great. Maybe I shouldn't be making beer, LOL

Tom

Edited by TomsTri-ing 2014-05-21 12:42 PM
2014-05-21 12:53 PM
in reply to: TomsTri-ing

User image

Veteran
This Weeks Goals,
1) Swim 4x (2 down)
2) Watch what I eat - that may actually be the problem LOL - I mean eat less and/or better
3)Get enough sleep

Waiting for my new Garmin 910XT to be delivered today. Great sale, 25% off with a $50 rebate. Bought it on Amazon with 6 months interest free financing. I started with a Timex Global Trainer. It does the job, but I wanted something more accurate and will count pool laps.

My Timex is now for sale, including HM and bike accessory.

Tom

2014-05-21 1:16 PM
in reply to: TomsTri-ing

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by TomsTri-ing

Waiting for my new Garmin 910XT to be delivered today. Great sale, 25% off with a $50 rebate. Bought it on Amazon with 6 months interest free financing. I started with a Timex Global Trainer. It does the job, but I wanted something more accurate and will count pool laps.

The 910 is a nice piece. I love mine. Lap counting is very accurate for freestyle, but is less accurate for drills and strokes. Or rather, my stroke work sucks so much the watch gets confused and gives up
2014-05-21 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Originally posted by TomsTri-ing

The 910 is a nice piece. I love mine. Lap counting is very accurate for freestyle, but is less accurate for drills and strokes. Or rather, my stroke work sucks so much the watch gets confused and gives up

I'll second this. I don't know what I would do now if I couldn't use my 910 to train with. I too started with the TGT and this thing blows it out of the water. Money well spent, IMO. Not to mention you got a killer deal!
2014-05-21 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
How much do I need to be swimming to see even more time drop off? I need to shave 2 min off my sprint swim and I don't think 2 workouts a week, no matter how hard they are, is going to be enough. I'm not so much worried about my race in July since it's a smaller race and the times are a bit slower. It's the September race with 800 people I want to podium for. 1st in my AG was 1:00:56 and 3rd was 1:02:01. It'll be close but if I can eat right and train right that is my long term goal for the year. Sure I may do a HIM in October but that is more of just a finish race. I'll need 6-8 minutes and if I can bust out 2 of those on the swim I'll be more than fine I think.
2014-05-21 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Burd How much do I need to be swimming to see even more time drop off? I need to shave 2 min off my sprint swim and I don't think 2 workouts a week, no matter how hard they are, is going to be enough. I'm not so much worried about my race in July since it's a smaller race and the times are a bit slower. It's the September race with 800 people I want to podium for. 1st in my AG was 1:00:56 and 3rd was 1:02:01. It'll be close but if I can eat right and train right that is my long term goal for the year. Sure I may do a HIM in October but that is more of just a finish race. I'll need 6-8 minutes and if I can bust out 2 of those on the swim I'll be more than fine I think.
You will need to add some swimming but more importantly do more speed work. What is the distance of your sprint swim? for us Canadians it is 750 meters, around 820 yards, so you are looking at 15 seconds/hundred yards(more if the race is shorter). Decide if it is worth the extra time swimming. You know where you are at skill wise for swimming. You will reach  a point where you will see very little gain.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50840 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19623 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.