BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-08-01 10:45 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Originally posted by adempsey10

Well you should have an idea of what your highest HR or power output you can sustain on the flats for the IM bike leg and ride at that pace. When you come to hill I would evaluate your energy levels and how you feel. If you think you can push a little harder uphill without burning up too much energy then go for it. Otherwise play the safe card and maintain your ideal output on every grade even if it means slow climbs. 

Alan - your info ( as well as Charles') has been enormously helpful. I think my plan will be to do the first loop at a avg. hr of 115-117 and the second loop between 122-125. At 127 and above (average hr) my run goes down the toilet.

The sad thing is that the math for me is kind of fuzzy - I only started using a hr monitor and using it religiously 6 weeks ago. Recently, all my numbers have been skewed due to fatigue.

In the end, I think the most important part of your post was play the safe card. I don't need to kill myself to finish. Following my plan should lead to a 15:23 finish... I'm just so tired right now. 2 more workouts!

2014-08-02 8:14 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Morning - anyone racing this weekend?
2014-08-02 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Qua17

Does anyone else procrastinate? I'm finding that I've picked up a bad habit of taking forever to get out the door prior to workouts. The average time the last two weeks is about 90 minutes and growing. This is new for me...

Part of the reason why I'm not running out the door is that my workouts have become drudgery! Todays workout was a case in point. My coach wanted me to pretend that I needed to go all out to make the cutoff for the bike. So, I did my first 30 at sub 13 miles per hour pace. Then I sped up for the next hour and then went all out for the last 30. To mimic the elevation at Mont Tremblant, I found myself doing hill repeats with my hr pushing past 155 on each hill. It was quite possibly the toughest workout yet. It wasn't really fun. I didn't enjoy it. But I just sucked it up and got it done. I will be so glad when they put that frickin medal around my neck. I swear I'm not gonna take it off for a week.

It will all be worth it. One more tough workout and then the taper. I'm ready!

Get out of my head...procrastinator queen here! This week has been different since I just signed up for five one hour sessions with a triathlon coach. I have had two sessions with her and they have been great. My teenie tiny Brit coach take the drudgery out of the training. I meet her at 5 am at the base outdoor track and the county pool. While I am working with her I don't feel the pain but the next day I am feeling the soreness. A good soreness. Having to meet someone, especially someone I am paying, at 5 am keeps me from procrastinating that training until I procrastinate so much I skip it entirely.

Last Oly in the series tomorrow. Coach sent me a short run session to do today; other than that I am taking the day off.

Have a great weekend all...Gotta get to the 10 page paper that is due today and well I haven't quite started it.

Oh I applied for a job in my town, working for the state. So far i am at the second stage, signing up to take the test. Nothing special but same pay and instead of an hour and half drive to work I can take a 30 minute bike ride. Working f
2014-08-02 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Yup, got an OLY.
2014-08-02 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Morning - anyone racing this weekend?

Oly this Sunday
2014-08-02 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

2014-08-02 10:49 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

New user
Madrid
Back for a couple hours on the bike, niiiiice feeling....but yes, it took me almost 1 hour to get decided!
Regarding gadgets, I have to say that I have been more happy than with my Garmin 910xt: it gives me all the info I need from swimming, bike and run, with live data while running. I have to admit that most of the functions are underused, though.
Thanks for the lesson on biking, huge learning in my case! ....I would upgrade my bike with the deals you have found, and wait for power meter.
2014-08-02 6:04 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Originally posted by SportzVision

Does anyone else procrastinate? I'm finding that I've picked up a bad habit of taking forever to get out the door prior to workouts. The average time the last two weeks is about 90 minutes and growing. This is new for me...

Part of the reason why I'm not running out the door is that my workouts have become drudgery! Todays workout was a case in point. My coach wanted me to pretend that I needed to go all out to make the cutoff for the bike. So, I did my first 30 at sub 13 miles per hour pace. Then I sped up for the next hour and then went all out for the last 30. To mimic the elevation at Mont Tremblant, I found myself doing hill repeats with my hr pushing past 155 on each hill. It was quite possibly the toughest workout yet. It wasn't really fun. I didn't enjoy it. But I just sucked it up and got it done. I will be so glad when they put that frickin medal around my neck. I swear I'm not gonna take it off for a week.

It will all be worth it. One more tough workout and then the taper. I'm ready!

Get out of my head...procrastinator queen here! This week has been different since I just signed up for five one hour sessions with a triathlon coach. I have had two sessions with her and they have been great. My teenie tiny Brit coach take the drudgery out of the training. I meet her at 5 am at the base outdoor track and the county pool. While I am working with her I don't feel the pain but the next day I am feeling the soreness. A good soreness. Having to meet someone, especially someone I am paying, at 5 am keeps me from procrastinating that training until I procrastinate so much I skip it entirely.

Last Oly in the series tomorrow. Coach sent me a short run session to do today; other than that I am taking the day off.

Have a great weekend all...Gotta get to the 10 page paper that is due today and well I haven't quite started it.

Oh I applied for a job in my town, working for the state. So far i am at the second stage, signing up to take the test. Nothing special but same pay and instead of an hour and half drive to work I can take a 30 minute bike ride. Working f

Good luck tomorrow Cynthia and good luck getting that job!
2014-08-03 5:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Illinois

I have a question of opinion for the group. I think I've made my decision but I would like others to weigh in. 

I recently sold my bass amp ( I used to play a lot in high school) and made a cool $600. I'm now debating whether I should upgrade my derailleur, buy a larger crank (mine is only 50T right now and I've outgrown that) and a new turbo trainer (already have one but it doesn't work the best) or do I buy a stages power meter. 

The mech upgrades will only give me a minimal performance improvement over training with a power meter but Chain reaction has amazing deals right now the mech whereas stages power meters are always going to be the price they are. 

Do I buy a power meter now and upgrade bit by bit for more money later or do I upgrade now at low cost and wait on the power meter?

With winter coming I think the power meter will help me to become a far better rider during my winter training so I'm leaning to that one.

What would you do? Or would you do something else entirely? 

(Wheels are not an option for me, however, in that price range I'm not gaining anything significant over my current wheel set.)

I am not all that fond of my Garmin Vectors, but a power meter is an *awesome* analytic tool.

For instance, comparing today's ride with my century ride from last week.

Century: HR 128bpm average, 17.9mph, 1,230ft of gain, 144w avg power, 153w NP
Today: HR 124bpm average, 16.3mph, 2,306ft of gain, 145w avg power, 160w NP

Using power, I can see an applies-to-apples comparison, and the two are pretty similar, yet with today's ride I know that my nutrition was spot-on, which let me click off 9 minute miles in the follow-up brick, whereas the century left me struggling to run 10:00 miles. Today's ride felt 1 to 2 RPE points lower than the century.

My recommendation would be an Ultegra 6800 crank (which is compatiable with every 4-bolt chainring Shimano makes, so you can compact, semi-, or full without have to swap cranks, so there won't be a question of outgrowing it) and a Stages power meter.

My buddy Jason (a cat3 cyclist - he's a beast) just bought one, and just bought one for his wife (my coach). I wish I would have bought one instead of my Vectors, but oh well.

Also, powermeter + trainer road = *awesome*.

Edited by mirthfuldragon 2014-08-03 5:29 PM
2014-08-03 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

All is explained here under the section 'does equipment and weight matter'. Basically your wasting energy pushing downhill because the time savings are minimal. You're better off trying to minimize time loss on the way up and then getting a solid recovery on the way down. And that is a relative 'push'. If you're already riding at your maximal effort up hill, you're already doing everything you can to minimize time loss. For example, I ride on the flat at a comfortable 155 BPM. On a hill I'd have no problem pushing that to 165 BPM for a sustained climbing effort and then recovering downhill. But If I were already riding at 165 BPM pushing any harder than that would be more than what I could get back from a downhill recovery or rather more than I'm willing to give.  

http://myworldfromabicycle.blogspot.ca/2010/09/aerodynamics-in-cycling-and-how-to-be.html

I will check out the article - thanks for posting.

First and foremost - if you are pedaling at 155 "comfortable" - You. Are. A. Stud!

But here is what I want to know. All of this is new to me... I'm a Dave Scott kind of guy - Up until a year ago - it was all about effort. So the science is new and I'm just trying to understand.

OK - so I know I'm trying to exercise at 60%-75% max heart rate which for me is about 108 to 132...So how are you pushing up to 165 without totally killing yourself? Is it all about average?... Today, despite the killer uphills (and they were killer - at least for me. At one point, I actually got off my bike and said a prayer) I was averaging 127 despite the 150+ hr when I was climbing the hills. So does that mean I could keep pushing as long as I don't go over 132? I was beat when I got home and I can't imagine hoping off the bike and doing an marathon. I know my body is tired - but whay does the science tell me I should do?

I really want to figure this out - because the rides this week are about to break me and if I could learn something - it would make it worth it.

Thanks a ton. That first beer (none of that Molson crap) is on me

I thought of a good analogy on today's ride. Stopping pedaling on the descents is like stopping on the run - if you keep pedaling, even just applying a bit of power, it's like walking on the run - you still add something, and it helps clear the lactate from the legs.

You and I are going to be pretty close in terms of power, weight, etc. When I climb, I focus on control. Find the right gear and don't be afraid to crank on the 34-28 - that's why it's there.

Joe Friel talks about "burning matches" - every time you push hard and feel that burn in the legs, that's one less match you're going to have on the run. My goal in a climb is to get to the top of the hill with the least amount of effort as possible, so long as my cleats don't touch pavement. I am going to have a terrible bike split at IMWI, but I don't plan on walking much of the marathon.

I read one of my friend's race reports from IM Racine 70.3, and he described the bike as "hardly working." He ran a 1:30 half marathon at that race, largely because he was "hardly wokring" on the bike.
2014-08-03 8:40 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Alex and Cyn - take a break from drinking your celebratory beers and let us know how it went!

2014-08-03 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
Did my final long ride before the read taper begins. It was rough. I'm so tired. And happy that the week and major training is done. Celebrated with a brip to Buffalo Wild Wings. Two Hearted Ale to celebrate!

Watching the live feed from Bolter. It's gonna be so worth it!

(photo (3).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo (3).JPG (112KB - 4 downloads)
2014-08-04 6:24 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Here's something I really proud of. I put my on my Garmin and relaxed on the couch for a couple of minutes to see what my resting heart rate was. 

(RHR.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
RHR.jpg (8KB - 3 downloads)
2014-08-04 6:41 PM

User image

Expert

Here's something I really proud of. I put my on my Garmin and relaxed on the couch for a couple of minutes to see what my resting heart rate was. 

Robotic! Hows the leg? Knee right?
2014-08-04 6:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I've been doing 2km runs on it everyday hoping that it will help strengthen whatever ligaments, tendon or whatever that is causing the problem. It seems that it really hurts if I land on it a certain way, so its going to be a very tedious run trying to make sure every step is planted perfectly to avoid causing any trouble during the run. I'm hoping that the 2km runs won't be enough to wear me out during the taper but will help my body adjust to the pounding and strengthen my bones and whatnot enough to get through the run, since I haven't really been able to do any long runs. The farthest I've run in training is a half marathon. It's going to be a crapshoot on race day. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-08-04 6:49 PM
2014-08-04 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Today is a rest day and I have made the most of it. 4 hours in the hammock... it's a rough life.

Drinking a Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA. Rough life!

If youre taking it easy - here's a list of the top 50 breweries in the US. Proud to say I've had 41 of 50.
http://www.thedailymeal.com/50-best-craft-breweries-america-slidesh...

2014-08-04 6:59 PM

User image

Sounds like a great day. I wish I had a hammock!

How have you been finding the taper? I've heard that the people often feel like crap the first 4-5 days of taper. I haven't been on the bike since Saturday and I've felt a little groggy and depressed. 

2014-08-04 8:22 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon  My recommendation would be an Ultegra 6800 crank (which is compatiable with every 4-bolt chainring Shimano makes, so you can compact, semi-, or full without have to swap cranks, so there won't be a question of outgrowing it) and a Stages power meter. My buddy Jason (a cat3 cyclist - he's a beast) just bought one, and just bought one for his wife (my coach). I wish I would have bought one instead of my Vectors, but oh well. Also, powermeter + trainer road = *awesome*.

I have to stay with 105 for two main reasons. The stages power meter for the ultegra is more money (which I can't afford). Also, I will keep my compact 105 crank for when I'm climbing and use the bigger 105 for crits and road races. This way I can use the stages 105 crank arm for both cranks. I agree that the ultegra would be better because I can just buy a different chain ring but economically and to make use of what I already have, staying with 105 is my best bet. The weight and performance difference between 105 and ultegra isn't enough to warrant making the change. 

2014-08-04 10:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I'm in need of some advise on my knee pain. I don't think it's a serious injury but I don't know what to do about it. It happens about 2.5 miles in and never gets worse just stays the same even at mile 5. It's not ITBS since it's lower. Personally I think it's fatigue in the muscle that stabilizes the knee coming from the outside of my shin. It used to happen under a mile and now isn't hurting until I am getting further into my run like it's building up endurance and strength.

I'm only running 3x a week. Would it be recipe for injury if I added 2 more slow 1.5 mile runs just to keep it working and building strength?
2014-08-05 5:39 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Hammock and good beer....paradise?? This is why we train, to get this free-day!
Ask the Taymory guys and they replied: bike jersey, if we do 10 to 15, it would be 34 euros per jersey plus shipping. If we send them the logo, they would be happy to make draft design for us.
2014-08-05 4:35 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Cyclists:

http://www.rebeccasprivateidaho.com/

I'm assuming there is no way that my weenie sprint triathlon training could prepare me for the above in three weeks. For a cycling newbie...what type of training program would I need to do (am thinking next year) to be ready to enjoy this (and not want to kill myself two hours into it...)?

Sandi

2014-08-05 5:47 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sandishr

Cyclists:

http://www.rebeccasprivateidaho.com/

I'm assuming there is no way that my weenie sprint triathlon training could prepare me for the above in three weeks. For a cycling newbie...what type of training program would I need to do (am thinking next year) to be ready to enjoy this (and not want to kill myself two hours into it...)?

Sandi

Sandi - Nothing is ever impossible. I am a firm believer that anyone can do anything with the right mind set. However - if you do it, it's gonna really challenge you. But if there is beer at the end - it might be worth it!

If you decide to do it next year - you could easily build up and do either next year. You would have to make hills a major part of your workouts but from what I read it looks like it would be a lot of fun!. Good luck with the decision!

2014-08-05 5:59 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

Hammock and good beer....paradise?? This is why we train, to get this free-day!
Ask the Taymory guys and they replied: bike jersey, if we do 10 to 15, it would be 34 euros per jersey plus shipping. If we send them the logo, they would be happy to make draft design for us.

Juan - thanks for putting this back on our radar. 34 Euros seems like a pretty good deal and if you can vouch for the quality - Taymory could be the way to go.

Alan - where do we stand with the design? Anyone want to suggest any changes? I think everyone agrees that we should go with a bike jersey.
2014-08-05 7:57 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

I'm in need of some advise on my knee pain. I don't think it's a serious injury but I don't know what to do about it. It happens about 2.5 miles in and never gets worse just stays the same even at mile 5. It's not ITBS since it's lower. Personally I think it's fatigue in the muscle that stabilizes the knee coming from the outside of my shin. It used to happen under a mile and now isn't hurting until I am getting further into my run like it's building up endurance and strength.

I'm only running 3x a week. Would it be recipe for injury if I added 2 more slow 1.5 mile runs just to keep it working and building strength?

Hey Nancy Boy - you would think that with all the pains in my knees over the years - I'd know exactly what was ailing you. But I'm at a loss. My advice would be to get it checked out. Having said that - does ice help? How about taking a couple days off? When I used to have pain in the lower part of my knee, stretching my quad really helped. I wish you a quick recovery my friend. After all you have been through - you shouldn't have to put up with this crap!
2014-08-05 8:16 PM

User image

I am so fired up tonight. I came first in a 40km road race. My sprint topped out at 62.8km/hr. 

David - I don't know that I'll have much time to work on it. I've been holed up on my office at school working on my thesis. I'll try to get something done but I can't make any guarantees. It's a pretty stressful time right now. Jess (my wife) has to move back to Ottawa for her job so we have to pay a mortgage here and for an apartment there. We're trying to rent out some rooms here to cover costs. With Ironman coming up, my thesis, Jess' move and finding a tenant things are pretty tense around here right now. Cycling is my therapy and tonight was a breakthrough session. I needed that bump. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50752 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19568 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.