BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-06-30 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4996689

Subject: June totals anyone?
June 2014
S: 14560 yds 5:40.10
B: 135.52 m 8:39.57
R: 40.22 m 6:20.04
Strength: 2:50

Almost 24 total hours - that's pretty good!

2014-06-30 9:26 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: June totals anyone?

June Totals:

S: 9963 yds

B: 301 miles

R: 52 miles

2014-06-30 10:51 PM
in reply to: Dominion

Twentynine Palms, California
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN
I do have a bike and my swimming is hurting right now, but I swam for years so I am sure I will be back into it here within the next few weeks. I am looking at the HIM in Nov at lake because in AZ. That gives me 4 + months I planning on signing up for either the sprint or Oly depending on where I am sitting at the end of the month.
2014-07-01 1:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
June totals:

S: 15,030 yards
B: 301.04 miles
R: 25.34 miles

Big month for me! I crammed in as much training as I could fit because I will be attending two back-to-back music and art festivals in July, limiting my bike and swim training time. The gates are locked at these festivals, so there’s no leaving once you come in, unless you’re leaving for good as re-entry is not permitted. Pretty much my July schedule is triathlon, festival, festival, triathlon! I am a little concerned about the impact this will have on my training, especially with a triathlon coming up just six days after I get home. However, I’m hoping if I run every day while I’m gone, that will help. And then when I get back to civilization, do some easy swims and bike rides that week leading up to it. This will be my “A” event, so I really, really want to do well.

So I have my first mountain bike triathlon this Saturday. I think I’ve improved a bit on my speed; working all the hills has really helped. (There’s not much flat around here!) Plus, I’ve been riding longer distances, trying to do two 25-mile rides a week, in addition to a couple of shorter rides. My only concern is because of all the rain, I have had very little opportunity to practice off road. On the other hand, I found a YouTube video where someone rode the course wearing a helmet cam, and it doesn’t look very difficult. It’s nothing like the XTERRA courses, so I should be OK. And, since it’s in the desert, it should be dry. It looks like a pretty good field with 133 people registered, with a men:women ratio of about 4:1.

I have decided to tack another triathlon to my schedule, this one on August 17 (West Plains WunderWoman). It’s not a USAT-sanctioned event, so I debated doing this one or another the weekend before. What makes this one attractive is it’s the exact same course as my first triathlon, so it will be a great way to see where I’ve improved in the eleven weeks. Also, it’s a women-only event, which will be kind of cool. The women-only events usually draw huge fields of competitors; this one is capped at 700, which will be a HUGE change from my first triathlon, which had a total 64 competitors in the Sprint race.

Edited by burner2 2014-07-01 1:33 AM
2014-07-01 7:41 AM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Swim: 3650 meters (I don't record the overall time of my swim workouts)
Bike: 2h 36m 50s - 35.4 Mi
Run: 4h 29m 50s - 27.78 M

It was a tough month. I barely trained for the first half and finally started making a push during the 2nd half. Between a one week vacation, getting a cold while on vacation, getting our house ready to go on the market, and the fantastic blister I got on the back of my heel, I'm surprised I trained at all! LOL It's crunch time now. My event is less than 6 weeks away, which in reality means probably only 5 weeks left to train.
2014-07-01 8:11 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Americus, Georgia
Swim: 1h 30m - 2800 Yd
Bike: 58m - 12 Mi
Run: 1h 29m - 6.25 Mi

My June totals are pretty sad. I had my race on the 15th, and for some reason, I didn't log any of my workouts in the two weeks leading up to the event. Don't know what is up with that....oh, well. In June, I have been out of town more than I have been at home, so training has been a challenge, combined with a chest and head cold I can't seem to shake.
I had hoped to do another sprint tri in August, but if I can't shake this cold, I don't think I'll be ready in time, and may have to focus efforts on my October event instead. It sucks, but I don't know what else to do. Ugh.
Happy training, everyone!

2014-07-01 8:13 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Americus, Georgia
Originally posted by rjchilds8

It was a tough month. I barely trained for the first half and finally started making a push during the 2nd half. Between a one week vacation, getting a cold while on vacation, getting our house ready to go on the market, and the fantastic blister I got on the back of my heel, I'm surprised I trained at all! LOL It's crunch time now. My event is less than 6 weeks away, which in reality means probably only 5 weeks left to train.

For the blister on your heel, have you ever used NewSkin? Rowers use it on their hands in the early part of the season before our callouses get built up. Don't use it on an open wound that is fresh (will burn like hell), but if there is a layer of skin on the blister, put about three layers of New Skin on it and see if it helps. Good luck!!
2014-07-01 9:11 AM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Originally posted by marriedthepoolguy

Originally posted by rjchilds8

For the blister on your heel, have you ever used NewSkin? Rowers use it on their hands in the early part of the season before our callouses get built up. Don't use it on an open wound that is fresh (will burn like hell), but if there is a layer of skin on the blister, put about three layers of New Skin on it and see if it helps. Good luck!!

Thanks for the tip, but it wasn't from my training. I went out to mow my lawn and was too lazy to put socks on. The shoes that I wore when mowing the lawn must have been rubbing in just the right spot because it only took me about 30 minutes. Note to self, always wear socks when mowing the lawn! LOL
2014-07-01 10:53 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

June is sometimes a tough month to get consistent training in with summer vacations and so much going on.  Looks like everyone is getting some work in though.  Seems like lots of summer colds going around too, what's up with that?

Cassandra, great bike total.  You beat me again!  By 4/100's of a mile! ( I think you did that on purpose   )  And adding more races, sounds like you are really catching the swim/bike/run bug!

Jen, lots of travel can really mess up a routine.  And a cold on top of that..hope you start to feel better and get back going again.  And when are you going to post a profile picture?

Randy, getting a house ready for sale is a Ton of work!  Hopefully things will settle down for you and you will have a good consistent stretch to race day.  Even with a bad blister, you still may be able to focus on some swimming and cycling even if you have to lay low on the running for a few days.  Hope it gets better soon.

Hang in there everyone!

2014-07-01 12:11 PM

User image

New user
My swim and bike numbers are way low for an Oly coming up in 12 days! Yikes. This weekend will be spent in the lake ensuring I remember how to swim and that I can still swim that far come race day. Biking will also take place with a short run afterwards and as next week progresses through I'll kinda fake a taper. Eesh, this race is sneaking up on me...

Swim: 1 hr 8 min
Bike: 2 Hrs 18 min 35.3 miles
Run: 9 Hrs 24 min 82.88 miles

Can ya'll tell what my favorite discipline is? lol

Scott
2014-07-01 12:28 PM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: making the time to train?
Thanks for all the input ya'll. It is helpful knowing that it's not just tough for me to get the training in with kids, but ya'll find a way to do it anyway! Ever since my son was born (second child) motivation has been very elusive. I'm gonna look at changing a few things up. If I can't get out on the rode to ride, I can set up my trainer and get in a 30-45 minute ride on that vs nothing at all. Swimming, I'm gonna just have to suck it up and find away to get myself up in the mornings and get to the pool. This weekend I will be on lakefront property for a few days so I can at least get a few decent "confidence" swims in before race day. I'm not sure which I dislike more, the treadmill, bike trainer, or endless pool. Hmmm...

Scott

2014-07-01 1:28 PM

User image

Subject: BAREFOOT
Originally posted by Dominion

As for the barefoot thing, well, that is all you .  I couldn't do it, but if it is your thing, go for it.  You may want to check the USAT rules page but I haven't heard of anything mandating a certain kind of footwear, or footwear period for that matter.

I looked into the rules (and the barefoot discussion boards) - USAT has no rule for or against shoes. USATF (Track and Field) specifically states that you can have one or both feet barefoot. ITU - (grr) they used to state that you "could not run without shoes" to which some people were like - "ha! They are in my pocket! WITH ME" - So this year ITU changed it to a DQ if you run any part of the run barefoot. -

I think there are a couple issues here. (1) biking. I dont know what I really think of this. I could really see the argument for shoes. (2) run - I see no reason for this to be disallowed. You have to run from the water barefoot. Most people run their bikes from T1 barefoot and back to T2 barefoot. But somehow its different on the course? (3) who cares?- most people are not going to run barefoot, so why make it illegal?

I read one upbeat post about an Ontario woman who has done several barefoot tris, but on this last one, she got a DQ - even though there were others barefoot, they didnt get caught. She had not made herself aware of all the rules.

For my upcoming OLY. I contacted the RD, stating that USAT does not prohibit it, but that I wanted to get her decision before I ran. She stated that it wasnt against the rules, so if I did it, I would not be DQ or penalized but it would be at my own risk, covered by the waiver I already signed. -

I have run HM barefoot. I have ordered "Comfort Pedals" for bike. I will likely be back of the pack regardless, so I might as well enjoy myself. The penalty would have taken the minimal benefit away. I am looking forward to the fastest T2 time ever!

Edited by BF JEFF 2014-07-01 1:30 PM
2014-07-01 8:12 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Race report

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Nice race Nate.  4th place out of 8 ...It won't take much to move up to the podium. 

Let me suggest swimming in you tri top.  Don't waste the time trying to put it on in T1.  Those tops usually fit tight and when your skin is wet, they are tough to get on!  Swimming in it could easily save you 30 seconds or more in T1 I imagine. 

Excellent bike leg!  I'm guessing you rode the new QR.  It's amazing what a new bike and race day mentality can do to increase speed. 

Work on increasing your weekly run volume a little to help keep you from fading.  I noticed most of your runs are in the 4 and 5 mile range.  That is fine, keep those, but work in at least 2 shorter/higher intensity runs each week.  A good way to do that is just run a 1 or 2 mile brick after a ride.  I mean set up your run gear in the garage or wherever, just like a race transition.  Come in on the bike, practice your transition and go run.  Run hard, gut it out .  It will hurt but it will help.  Start at  1 mile and set a goal time.  Then go up to 1.5 and then 2 miles over a couple of weeks.  Remember, What breaks you also makes you. 

Thanks for the advice Chris. After my last Tri I had said I would do a brick every other week but I often skip my bikes so it wasn't an easy goal to keep. I have been trying to keep the running to 3 days a week and hope to do a half marathon in the fall. Although I think I could do it now I would like keep it around 9 min/mile or faster. With this in mind how would you structure the workouts. I was thinking one long run, one interval/tempo, and one brick? I was wondering about swimming in my tri top and wasn't sure if it would slow me down. I just bought it this week. Will have to see how it feel if I can ever get some open water time in. Imaging the chlorine is not very good for it.

A HM on just three days a week can be tough.  If possible you should try to add at least one more run each week.  The brick is really a triathlon specific workout and that run really can be considered just an add-on to a bike workout.  So if you can get 3 stand alone runs in each week plus try to add just a quick 2 mile brick run after a bike session.  As far as the 3 runs, yes, i agree pretty much with your idea.  One long run, I see from your logs that you are around 6 miles right now for that.  Gradually work that up to 10 over  the next three months.  One tempo run.  The tempo run should be hard, at or above race pace.  If you race goal is 9min/mile, start at 3 miles and work up to 5 or 6 running under 9 minute miles.  For the third run, you can do intervals or what I call a Steady-State run (or mix them up week to week to keep some variety).  The steady state run should be faster than your LSD (long slow distance) but slower than tempo.  It should be a pace that you have to work a little to maintain but is reasonably comfortable to sustain.  (Ex. my race pace currently might be around 6:50, my LSD is around 8:00, my SS pace would is around 7:15 to 7:30).

As for the tri top, you are right, chlorine is not good for them, but one swim is not going to do any damage.  Repeated pool sessions is what starts to break down materials and fabrics.  Do a session in your top and then just wash and rinse it out good when you are finished. It will be fine.  As long as it is a "tri top" it is made to swim in.  (Just don't try to swim in a cycling jersey....trust me.  )

Thanks Chris. Definitely plan on increasing my long run toward 8 miles over the next month. I will have a little more than a month between my last Tri and the HM so I would work on more volume then. Aiming for quality now. I have been trying to do long, interval and tempo, and will definately add the brick run in after bikes. Hoping that with the new bike I have a new found motivation to ride! Pretty sure its a regular tri top, but I have no clue what the difference is so. Will just try it.

2014-07-01 8:58 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

My June totals
Swim: 12,320y - 4h28m41s
Bike: 115m - 6h39m21s
Run: 39.9 - 5h44m46s

Scouting out a race for July 19th. Who is racing this Month?
2014-07-01 9:40 PM

User image

Subject: JUNE TOTALS-
HI
Bike 154.5 miles 10hr 37
Swim 2.4 miles 2 hr 15
Run 116 miles 18 hr

Good to have this perspective. Looked up some HIM training plans. Would need closer to 8 hrs SWIM per month, 24 hrs on BIKE, 8 hrs RUN.

I think I could have gotten more swim and run miles in. Pretty happy with my bike improvement. Went out with the TRI group this week. 26 miles on the bike (barefoot) followed by 1.6 mile run. Just found out about a Sprint that I can fit into schedule next week. Hopefully that goes well as a practice for OLY.

Edited by BF JEFF 2014-07-01 11:25 PM
2014-07-02 6:15 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

New user
Subject: legs cramping on the bike
Did my first brick run in quite some time last night before it got dark. Everything seemed to go well on the bike until I got to my turn around and my left calf started cramping. I chugged down some Gatorade and let up some and it eventually went away. I've had this happen on just plain rides too. Is it more from a lack of hydration or could it be more from bike fit? It seems almost to be from a lack of hydration as it went away shortly after I drank half a bottle I had with me. Not used to cramping on the bike. It's been awhile since that's happened. The run portion went great. It felt like I was putting along only to find my pace much faster than anticipated.

2014-07-02 12:46 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Subject: RE: legs cramping on the bike
Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

Did my first brick run in quite some time last night before it got dark. Everything seemed to go well on the bike until I got to my turn around and my left calf started cramping. I chugged down some Gatorade and let up some and it eventually went away. I've had this happen on just plain rides too. Is it more from a lack of hydration or could it be more from bike fit? It seems almost to be from a lack of hydration as it went away shortly after I drank half a bottle I had with me. Not used to cramping on the bike. It's been awhile since that's happened. The run portion went great. It felt like I was putting along only to find my pace much faster than anticipated.

It's funny you say that about the run after a bike ride. I've experienced a similar phenomenon. On the few bricks that I've done, when I have done the run portion I feel like my legs are fatigued and so I'm just chugging along at what I think is a slow pace, not trying to push it too hard or risk injury. But when I get done with my run and look at my pace, I'm amazed to see that I did much better than I thought I was doing. I don't typically check my pace until I'm done, so it always comes as a surprise to me. Maybe this is a byproduct of having done so much of my training on a treadmill? Maybe I'm just not used to feeling my pace when I run outside? I don't know, it's strange. But in a good way!
2014-07-02 1:24 PM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: legs cramping on the bike

It's funny you say that about the run after a bike ride. I've experienced a similar phenomenon. On the few bricks that I've done, when I have done the run portion I feel like my legs are fatigued and so I'm just chugging along at what I think is a slow pace, not trying to push it too hard or risk injury. But when I get done with my run and look at my pace, I'm amazed to see that I did much better than I thought I was doing. I don't typically check my pace until I'm done, so it always comes as a surprise to me. Maybe this is a byproduct of having done so much of my training on a treadmill? Maybe I'm just not used to feeling my pace when I run outside? I don't know, it's strange. But in a good way!

I believe that my ability to run "well" after getting off the bike comes down to running being my favorite discipline. Once the bike is racked I'm thinking to myself, now comes the fun part! I just ordered a hydration kit today for my aero bars. I hope it gets here in time for me to trial it once or twice before the Triathlon next Sunday. Eesh....

Edited by scottjjmtri99 2014-07-02 1:24 PM
2014-07-02 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4996689

I had a PR run time in my super sprint. I think for me, I was so tired at the end that any running felt slow because I was so tired. Therefore I pushed myself harder, trying not to have the slowest run split on the course. Does that make any sense at all? Brick runs feel so different to me than straight runs that it's hard for me to even try to pace myself.
2014-07-03 5:59 AM

Hey Chris,
I am interested in the sprint distance Tri's and would like to join your group.

My name is Matt and I am a 30 year old just getting into Triathlon. I have been training since about March. I am training for Sprint Distance Tri's that start in late October.

At the start of Jan/Feb
I could not swim 300m freestyle with out resorting to breast stroke (Possibly the only Australian who cant swim)
5 km was 30 mins
20km bike was a tick over 40 mins

Since I started doing some training:
I can now swim 750 m in.... don't laugh 17mins (In a pool but also incorporate some open water swims in my training)
5km run is down to low 22 mins and high 22s after the 20km ride
mid 37 mins on the bike

My 2 ultimate goals would be sub 20 mins for 5km run off the bike and a sprint Tri in under 1:15. (6- 12 month goals)
6'1 and body weight is 81kg

Let me know
Matt
2014-07-03 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin My June totals Swim: 12,320y - 4h28m41s Bike: 115m - 6h39m21s Run: 39.9 - 5h44m46s Scouting out a race for July 19th. Who is racing this Month?

No race in July for me.  Looking to have a HUGE training month as I get ready for the back end of the season.  

August 9th -AG Nationals

Early Sept.  Back to back races in one weekend.  Sat-Olympic / Sun-Sprint

Late Sept. Battle of the Bridges - Melbourne. FL

2014-07-03 7:57 PM
in reply to: MattSlatts

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by MattSlatts Hey Chris, I am interested in the sprint distance Tri's and would like to join your group. My name is Matt and I am a 30 year old just getting into Triathlon. I have been training since about March. I am training for Sprint Distance Tri's that start in late October. At the start of Jan/Feb I could not swim 300m freestyle with out resorting to breast stroke (Possibly the only Australian who cant swim) 5 km was 30 mins 20km bike was a tick over 40 mins Since I started doing some training: I can now swim 750 m in.... don't laugh 17mins (In a pool but also incorporate some open water swims in my training) 5km run is down to low 22 mins and high 22s after the 20km ride mid 37 mins on the bike My 2 ultimate goals would be sub 20 mins for 5km run off the bike and a sprint Tri in under 1:15. (6- 12 month goals) 6'1 and body weight is 81kg Let me know Matt

Hi Matt,

Welcome.

Those times aren't bad at all and it seems you have made significant improvements in a relatively short amount of time.  Keep doing what you are doing and you should have no problem with a Sprint distance triathlon.  Just be sure to put a few workouts together (like bike/run bricks) to get an idea of how it will feel on race day.  You have plenty of time until October to get a lot faster! 

2014-07-03 8:04 PM
in reply to: #5020933

Welcome, Matt! You've made great improvements so far, good job - especially on the run, wow! I think you'll be able to pull decent times in a sprint no problem, especially with a little more swim practice in.

I am also racing July 19, btw - there's a local race not listed on BT that is my team's "home race", so I signed up to join them. Full sprint with a 500m OWS - my first in a race (I've had quite a bit of non-race practice).
2014-07-03 9:44 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Originally posted by nrpoulin
Who is racing this Month?

I have an off-road triathlon this Saturday, the Righteous Richland Sprint Tri. It's a half-mile swim in the Columbia River, a 12-mile mountain-bike only ride, and a 5K run. I'm a little concerned about my time for this event because I'm a lot slower on my mountain bike. But, hopefully, the swim will be downriver, so the current will assist me This is a pretty small event as only 133 people have registered, about which 33 are women.

I also have my "A" event, the Coeur d'Alene Race the River Sprint Tri, on July 27. This is a pretty big triathlon, with probably more than 500 competitors. Cd'A seems to be a hotspot for triathlons; they seem to have one about every other weekend.
2014-07-04 5:05 PM
in reply to: #5021408

User image

Americus, Georgia
In response to the folks that run faster after a bike ride: I have also experienced this, and a local tri coach here explained that it's because your "slow twitch" muscles are already primed and ready to go from being on the bike. Which is good because slow twitch muscles are key in endurance activities.
And there's your fun factoid for July 4th. . Enjoy!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40

Started by lutzman
Views: 43483 Posts: 980

2015-01-10 7:42 PM mtsnorider

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50800 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19590 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
comments : 0
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?