General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Silly question - putting on new tires Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-15 5:01 PM

Subject: Silly question - putting on new tires
Bought some Contis and will be putting them on tonight for a race this weekend. Any tips about putting on new tires or things to look out for? Not looking for process per se but just things to consider or be careful with.

Thanks

2014-05-15 5:11 PM
in reply to: tb1000

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Silly question - putting on new tires
try to get some miles on them before the race
2014-05-15 5:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Be sure to put a bit of air in the tube before you push the tire bead back over the rim.  Further explanation:  At the point you have the tire with one bead on the rim and one pulled off, you slip the tube inside the case and put the valve through the valve hole. Then you pump the tube up just enough that it fills up the tire.  Then you use just your hands to push the bead of the tire back over the rim.  The reason for putting air in the tire is to keep the tube from getting caught between the tire and the rim when you pop the tire bead back in place.  

Be sure to line the tire model label up so that it is centered about the valve hole.  This is the cool way to do it.  Also, it helps to find debris that is stuck in the tire when you have a flat if you know how the tube and tire are oriented with respect to each other.  (You take the tube out and blow it up to find the leak.  If you know how tube and tire were oriented, then you know where to look on the tire to see if there is anything stuck in the tire that will blow your replacement tube.) Also when you hang your bike up, the valve rotates to the bottom. If you align the tire this particular way, the labels will be right side up and readable.  Plus, bike snobs always notice if you don't do it this way.

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2014-05-15 5:39 PM
2014-05-15 5:55 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Depending on the rim they may go on easy or be a real PITA.  When I first got GP4000S they were a PITA to install on my old Easton SL rims. On my Felt TTR2 rims with new tires I need a lever, but after some aging (if I'm feeling Hulk-ish) I can sometimes put them on without a lever. 

Someone here, I think it was, said to stretch the tires out by standing on one end and pull up on the opposite side and rotate around.  Suppose to pre-stretch the tire.

Once the tire is on, before inflating go around the tire and make sure the tube is not between the tire and rim.

Are you also using latex tubes?  If so check the rim tape first.  Last year during a race I had a latex tube force a pinhole in the old rim tape over a spoke hole.  I got lucky as it was flat after I got done with the run.  I've since replaced all rim tape 1st with a layer of fiberglass packing tape then cloth rim tape over that.

2014-05-15 6:03 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Some go on easy first time and others are a bear. Put them in the sun, so the warm up and get more stretchy....I know some put them in the drier but I've never done it.

Ride them to make sure if there is an issue you have it worked out before the race.

2014-05-16 6:45 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by KathyG

Some go on easy first time and others are a bear. Put them in the sun, so the warm up and get more stretchy....I know some put them in the drier but I've never done it.

Ride them to make sure if there is an issue you have it worked out before the race.

All great tips! You can also use a hair dryer to heat them up a bit. It'll make them more plyable and easier to mount. Keep a little air in the tube (I just open the valve and blow some air in…. no need for a pump) and be very cautions not to pinch the tube. After mounting the tire, pump up the tire to about 30-40 psi and then feel around the rim on each side for bumps… that's an indication that you have pinched the tube, if you feel it, let out the air and remove the tire to start over; if you don't feel anything, then pump it up to about 80 psi and let it stand over night. If the tire is keeping air over night, then more the likely, you're ok and you won't see any pinch flats on your first ride. Just remember to pump to normal pressure before the first ride. :-)

2014-05-16 7:19 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by audiojan

Originally posted by KathyG

All great tips! You can also use a hair dryer to heat them up a bit. It'll make them more plyable and easier to mount. Keep a little air in the tube (I just open the valve and blow some air in…. no need for a pump) and be very cautions not to pinch the tube. After mounting the tire, pump up the tire to about 30-40 psi and then feel around the rim on each side for bumps… that's an indication that you have pinched the tube, if you feel it, let out the air and remove the tire to start over; if you don't feel anything, then pump it up to about 80 psi and let it stand over night. If the tire is keeping air over night, then more the likely, you're ok and you won't see any pinch flats on your first ride. Just remember to pump to normal pressure before the first ride. :-)

I always put new ones in the dryer to heat them up and make them easier to put on. Works like a charm
2014-05-16 7:51 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I like to use a little Pure Talc Powder on the inside rim of the tire and on the tube when I assemble them ( baby powder will work too Just smells well like baby powder ), it really helps if there is a small pinch that you missed or small twist in the tube it will allow it to slip out without causing any damage, as others have said a little air in the tube just enough to make it round will make assembly easier.

Edited by RRH_88 2014-05-16 7:59 AM
2014-05-16 7:57 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

I always put new ones in the dryer to heat them up and make them easier to put on. Works like a charm

That's an awesome tip.  Never tried it, but it definitely makes sense and would work.  I have had great success using a tire bead jack that I bought several years ago.  It also makes putting new tires on VERY easy......

2014-05-16 8:02 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

Baltimore, MD
Originally posted by tech_geezer
Be sure to line the tire model label up so that it is centered about the valve hole.  This is the cool way to do it.  
Plus, bike snobs always notice if you don't do it this way.

Crap, now I have another thing to take care of before my race Sunday. I've got to go home and re-mount my tires so that my labels line up! i certainly don't want all the cool bike snobs to think less of me.
2014-05-16 8:07 AM
in reply to: schaumi

Originally posted by schaumi

Be sure to line the tire model label up so that it is centered about the valve hole.  This is the cool way to do it.  

Crap, now I have another thing to take care of before my race Sunday. I've got to go home and re-mount my tires so that my labels line up! i certainly don't want all the cool bike snobs to think less of me.
Make sure the shark fins point the correct way too!

2014-05-16 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cpzone

Make sure the shark fins point the correct way too!

Yep. There is an arrow that shows you which way for it to go. You will lose speed if you install it the wrong way. :p

Edited by GAUG3 2014-05-16 8:19 AM
2014-05-16 8:58 AM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hey thanks for posting that tool, I just ordered one to try it out, should make trainer/road tire swapping a bit easier.

Originally posted by sbsmann

That's an awesome tip.  Never tried it, but it definitely makes sense and would work.  I have had great success using a tire bead jack that I bought several years ago.  It also makes putting new tires on VERY easy......

2014-05-16 10:19 AM
in reply to: schaumi

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by tech_geezer Be sure to line the tire model label up so that it is centered about the valve hole.  This is the cool way to do it.   Plus, bike snobs always notice if you don't do it this way.

ditto.  Why is the first time I've heard of this rule?

2014-05-16 12:09 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Originally posted by Donto

Hey thanks for posting that tool, I just ordered one to try it out, should make trainer/road tire swapping a bit easier.

Originally posted by sbsmann

That thing is a Godsend.  Conti Tri tires in 650c are an absolute bear to mount.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Silly question - putting on new tires Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New to competitive biking - a few silly questions

Started by completelyhis
Views: 685 Posts: 2

2012-07-18 6:08 PM Tom Demerly.

Putting beand new tires on a bike

Started by todd.chestnut
Views: 1068 Posts: 12

2011-06-25 10:14 PM EKH

silly tire ?

Started by stretchdew
Views: 536 Posts: 3

2009-02-03 4:28 PM stretchdew

New tires question...

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 906 Posts: 2

2008-04-27 6:22 AM RedCorvette

flat tire / hole in tire - question

Started by Sluggo312
Views: 1039 Posts: 6

2008-03-06 8:41 AM devilwillride
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.