BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-06-04 5:07 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Originally posted by medeiros13

I've got a few Jamie Eason protein recipes and a Phil Bar recipe if anyone is interested.

???

Thanks

2014-06-04 7:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
2014-06-04 8:56 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
Maryland
Originally posted by strykergt

Originally posted by medeiros13

I've got a few Jamie Eason protein recipes and a Phil Bar recipe if anyone is interested.

???

Thanks

I've seen her before on the net. I also like protein bars but I've only made them once.
Steve, I ran a trail marathon last weekend. Very different than Boston. No roads, no chips, just nature and fairly soft ground. It was fun and different.
2014-06-04 1:29 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
The 2 H's kicked my butt today....hills and humidity! I did my LR today of 7 miles...made a point of doing hills all over the place and it hurt. I'm sure it doesn't help that I did heavy legs yesterday but I am making progress. The hills that I tackled today I purposely walked up during my HM in March...today I jogged all of them....slowly. I put hills at 3 and 6 miles and there were other slow climbing terrain on my path. I remain happy with my cardio but its my legs that need to be conditioned to running....I see progress but its slow...very very slow! After the run, I hopped in the pool to cool off from my run and do a little swimming. I should've skipped like I did last week because after 4x50 my shoulders and back weren't happy with swimming....so I ended it quickly and was happy to have done something after a run that really took a lot out of me.
2014-06-04 6:39 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Linda yiou are so modest, trail marathons typically have lots of up and down with poor footing and kick ones tush more than regular marathons. Hopefully yours was flat on an old railroad track. Soft footing can totally kill your calves. Glad you enjoyed it. Sometimes smaller races with less hype is good.

Totally tired this week. Yesterday was alright on the run, today, same run 45 seconds per mile slower, same effort. Now off to a 42 mile bike, maybe a nap inbetween.

Genrally speaking siwm after run sucks 8). It is tough to swim after bike or run with tired legs, arms back. I did one reverse tri and the swim sooo sucked.
2014-06-04 8:05 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Couple of questions. How do you transport the bars (balls) during running? Most of my solutions are a hot mess by the time I go to eat them. And in your PM, you mentioned chia gels. The Arbita ones or homemade? If homemade, chia seeds, honey, and salt? Again how do you transport?

I walked in toward the last of a conversation between hubby and a cancer survivor this weekend. The survivor mixes water, organic lemon juice (from Costco), and sea salt and drinks it daily. That sounded to me like a perfect hydration for the run. Haven't tried yet tho.

2014-06-05 6:25 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Pam, that sounds like a margarita mixer to me !

Jay, love it that you are helping your wife at the gym. Sounds like the swimming is coming along nicely when you are not too tired from lifting.

Steve, last big week for you? Very happy you are at this point injury and crash free!

So tomorrow I get to meet MikeD! Having lunch and will be great to visit.

That just leaves the big meetup for several of you in CDA. Has anyone heard from Samantha? I hope she is doing well, and just busy with building her career.

I cannot seem to shake this cold/flu whatever. I'm over the virus, but sinuses/lungs/throat are hypersensitive. Going to the doc tomorrow if not better.
2014-06-06 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4997711

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
So today I was lucky enough to have lunch today with Carol (aka Squirt) and her husband Kerry. Fun time! Always great to meet other BT-ers. Yes, we talked about u Steve, and it was all about admiration :-).

As for my tri thing, U feel like I've started to get some mojo back. Still a long way to go but I'm rediscovering the fun after taking time out for whatever reason. Yes, I have a HiM next Saturday, and I'm doing just the aqua bike. Treating it like the long training day it will likely be. Next goal is to get consistent again and do an oly in August. And lose some weight. The time off to let my leg heal has been a dark path resulting in all my clothes having shrunk somehow.

I also need to get my log updated. Its a mess.

Texas is hot!
2014-06-06 3:22 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Glad you got to meet Carol and Kerry today Mike. We had a tough winter and it wasn't conducive to doing much of anything except complaining about how cold/snowy etc it was. Diet/exercise is like anything...when you're on a roll its easy...but when you stop....it sucks to start up again. You'll get your mojo back....weather is heating up and you did mention something about Lake Placid a few months back....
2014-06-06 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Yes, it was great meeting Mike! He is just as nice and positive in person as I had imagined. I just wish we could have gone on the Tour de Grapevine, but we will have that to look forward to next time. Mike, hope you are not hungry already after the pizza on a cracker .

Jay, you are so right on the momentum thing. I think that is what has killed me over the last year or so. Every time I'd try to get some consistency going, some other "part" would break down. My fat jeans are now my skinny jeans...as in they are skinny and I am not!

Went to the doc this afternoon, and got some scripts to try to kick the crud to the curb. Also did another yoga DVD today. Did you feel the earth tremble? Me doing yoga 3X in one week is a rare happening.
2014-06-07 9:49 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by squirt

Pam, that sounds like a margarita mixer to me !

Oh Man, I didn't even realize it. My subcon must have grabbed onto it because it sounded like a marg mixer but my functioning brain didn't realize it until you said it. Made that mixture this morn and it was good. Course it would have been better with some tequila in it.

So glad Carol and Mike got to meet!!!

Carol, hope you feel better soon.

Ya'll I think Phil has a race this weekend. Thought I saw on his sig line. Will try to go stalk later.

Went out this morn looking for 8 miles but I couldn't do it. Scraped out 6 miles and it wasn't pretty.

2014-06-07 7:19 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Yes Pam I do have an event; but it's not a race. It'll be a nice, easy and flat 100K bike ride. I promised my fiance I wouldn't leave her in my dust! Didn't get too much training in for this ride, but we did participate in a grueling spinning class on Thursday that felt pretty good! I'll tell you all how it went.

Pam I get sluggish like that too sometimes. I would do an awesome 6-mi run then feel slow on a 5k!

Linda, trail mary sounds very fun!

Carol and Mike, awesome that you both could meet up. I won't be at CDA but that sounds like the next baowolf meetup.

Jay humidity could do damage to anyone!
2014-06-08 3:17 PM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hrm, body not doing great with this last month of building, back still iffy, right hip flexor, top of knees, etc. But after a 112 mile bike ride yesterday and 17.5 mile run today it is finally taper time Yay! Bib numbers are up so I am 2082 for CDA.
2014-06-08 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Congrats on getting to taperland Steve! Now your job is to get your body rested

First summerlike day here in Mass so I decided to celebrate with a nice 8 mile run. This is going to sound like a recording...wind is fine...haven't found my running legs yet. Its frustrating but I think my improved wind will be beneificial once my legs get up to speed. Oh yea...Pam, I used banana babyfood in a pouch as my fuel for the run....not sure if that'd work for you but another option for consideration.
2014-06-08 5:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Hey all.

Just popping in real quick.

Very cool that Carol and Mike to a chance to meet. Sounds nice.

Jay - I see you're training smart these days. Keep at it and it all comes back...

Pam - nice to see you. Still at it I see

I'm just about into my taper as well for CDA. 17 mile run yesterday felt great. Supposed to ride a hilly 80 today but woke up to a sick wife so i had to stay with the kids. I have a couple centuries under my belt but I still want one more big ride in. gonna try to sneak out tomorrow... We'll see.

Training has been pretty good. Not the volume I would have liked but I feel like I've hit most of my key workouts. Pulled back a bit on volume because I just wasn't recovering. Once I pulled back I felt pretty darn good and started hitting my key workouts again. 2 Long rides of 100, runs up to 17, ocean swims (still going out the next 2 weeks for some long swims...) Not going to break any records, but If I can get through the bike and the 6000 feet of climbing I think I can slog through the marathon. Maybe somewhere in the 14 hour range if I'm lucky....

Unfortunately Jim had to pull out of the race. Life got in the way so I've been finishing this training solo. Also looks like I'm on my own for the trip. Just hope not to get to much in my head when I arrive and trust my training. It's pretty much in the bank now so bring on the challenges.

My biggest worry is not tapering correctly... don't want to mess up 6 months of training in 3 weeks. The plan is to still keep at it, but drop the volume and increase the intensity for the next 2 weeks.... Any advice would be appreciated...

anyway.... Good to see you all. Keep up the good work...

2014-06-09 1:21 AM
in reply to: Mitchparadise

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Mitch, because your training volume is low in all 3 sports, and your long run and bike have not been supported by your weekly miles, I would really be reluctant to increase intensity at all. At this point it is just following the taper down at easy to moderate pace to get to the starting line healthy . You won't be building any fitness between now and race day so just stay easy/moderate and ride the distance down to the race start.

You have the fitness to complete the race, but you are going to have to pace conservatively to not have too too much walking in the marathon.

2014-06-09 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Yes, Steve. just what I've been thinking. Just going to finish and try to run/ shuffle most of the marathon. the goal for this race was to try not to inconvenience the family so much during training. That worked but it definitely took a lot out of my volume.

Would you recommend 1 more long ride this week? 80 miles of hills? was going to try today or tomorrow... a little worried because my last long ride was 2 weeks ago!

Also group... maybe not the best idea to do a full IM with a new baby and a business that has more that doubled in the last year! The next one I will wait until I know I will have the time to get in more training...
2014-06-09 12:55 PM
in reply to: Mitchparadise

User image

New user
Mitch, congratulations on keeping your focus and pursue training with the new baby and the longer work hours... Some say that the greatest achievement in Triathlon is to be able to keep a well-balanced life between 3 disciplines, couple, family, work, friends... more than the time results. Bravo for your dedication. Good luck at IMCDA, we'll be rooting for you and Steve all the way!

Steve how is taper? Is it as horrible as some say it is to suddenly cut on training or is it a welcomed break? So inspiring (and eye-opening) to see what IM training involves. One day maybe...

As for me good buildup so far but this week will be so busy I wonder when I'll get training in. Also got my 135km bike ride next Saturday. Then it's a sprint on July 6, for which I just registered. It may be "just" a sprint (and in a pool), I have butterfiles in the stomach now
2014-06-09 1:43 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Mitch, my long bike for this week is 72 miles, with a few hills in the 1-3 mile range. So 70 to 80 would be ok, but don't try to go up the hills so much that you tweak a calf muscle or anything. We are in survival mode here, just get in the miles and stay healthy until the start of the race. I think that if you pace mid Z2 all day you will be ok. There will be a temptation to go out harder than you should for the first 1000 of the swim, the first 35 miles of the bike and the first 5 miles of the run. If you pace smart I think you will be ok. Remember that you have a couple hours of slush should you need to walk more than you planned, so I see you finishing fine, it is just how much walking there is, if any.

Well, yesterday was 17.5 mile run and 2500 yard swim, so not quite enjoying the taper that starts tonight. Taper affects folks differently, but there is definately some spare time to catch up on stuff around the house, mow the lawn (tonight), fix the leaking faucet, go fishing with your kids (last Saturday), etc. During a big taper the dreams about not having your stuff in transition (like um darn forgot my bike, crap now what), etc,. Then there are the phantom aches and pains that are your muscles healing but make you freak out that maybe you pulled something and then all the planning of what to bring, where you put your mini CO2, how many tubes to bring. Then you have the crap that isn't where they had the bike course last time I did CDA, where did all of those 500 foot climbs come from? Then you are just into packing and getting everything done. Often the worries about did I do enough training, did I do enough hills, what will the temperature be like, how cold will the water be, will there be any wind etc., all creep into your mind. Most of that stuff you can't control, but you can worry about it a lot. Mostly you just bring everything you might need, and try to just let the anxiety wash over and through you like an ocean wave. You can try to fight an ocean wave, but in the end it doesn't do any good, you still have to wait until it lets you go and then you can just stand up or start paddling out again. Fighting it just makes you tired.
2014-06-09 7:20 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Steve & Mitch -- you're almost there. Try not to go crazy the next few weeks before the race!

Good solid swim this AM - 2850 in the pool, and the coach said it would be a great set prep for this weekends race. I felt OK most of the time, which was great.

Still can't believe I have a race in 5 days. Hasn't quite hit me yet, but I have a feeling it will hit me about 3 hours in on Saturday .

Starting running back up, and going back to basics to get going again.

Currently watching Ironman Australia on Universal Sports Network.
2014-06-10 11:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
First off, welcome back Mitch! Thanks for noticing my attempt to be smarter with my training

Today was a good day for me and my wife. Before my cardio, I lifted with Kiley (as I do every Tues/Wed) and today was a near milestone for her. She did 115 10x3...and her original goal was to do 135 (1 plate on each side) and I'm pretty sure she's got it after todays session. This has been a near 10 year goal for her and I think she's going to do it within the next few weeks...she has the strength to do it pretty easily. After lifting, I swam 1250...2 ladders 50-250 and then another 50-200....the 250 is a new long I left the gym and went to the track and did some speedwork. I did a mile of sprinting the straightaways and recovering on the turns....recovering is a walk for now but hoping it'll become a slow jog as my legs respond better.

I have 2 questions for our wise mentor Will a long and medium run along with a day of speed work and hill repeats be enough miles for my 4,4,4 plan? Can I train all 3 disciplines in a day? Using this day as an example, I'm tempted to do a 30 minute trainer ride tonight (ez pace)....I've been avoiding this because I wasn't sure if it was smart.

Edit: Mike, good to see you back in the pool. Lets hope the aquaman motivates you to find your consistency again

Edited by medeiros13 2014-06-10 12:00 PM

2014-06-10 2:57 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I don't recommend 3 sports in a day, it just kicks your butt too much, well mine anyway. I did it in a previous build and then took the next day entirely off. It was just too much for me in one day. I like to go long short, or medium medim in two sports. That leaves me 1 or 2 days a week with only 1 workout. I would be a little easy on the speed still if your logs are up to date. Tempo is fine, but faster than 5k pace would probly not be good. Hills are like speedwork, you can jog them for now and then after your get a few more miles you can start doing hills as intended, running up them at close to 5k pace 8). Walking is fine between speed work efforts, usually 1/4 to 1/2 the distance of the hard effort for the recovery depending on the length of the speed work. 400 recover 200, 800 recover 200-400, 1 mile recvoer 200-400. So 1 short, 1 medium with speedwork, 1 medium with hills and 1 long is fine. You can also alternate your speedwork week one with hills week 2.

Today was a nice short 3.5 mile run at lunch. With less fatigue a 8:15 mpm pace was not too hard to hold. Man fatigue messes with your pace on the run. My lats have been so fried my swim has been off for a month, hopefully that comes around this week too.
2014-06-10 4:17 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Jay: Kiley's strength is impressive! As a swimmer in school I didn't get as much weight traning as you baseball/football guys so I'm not as versed in the gym (I do my best when I do go though). Steve's probably right about the 3 sports in a day thing, but I'm all about it! I try to throw in a couple 'mock' tri practices before a tri event, but obviously the distances are shorter, and sometimes I put a break in between them. It's sorta like cramming for a final!

Mike: Getting the sports package and the Universal Sports channel changed my life! Great to be able to learn from the pros about transitions, etc. And a nice watch while on a trainer. However, in a few days the TV will be on World Cup coverage 24/7. Heading into July though, I'll be switching between Fifa and TDF.

Mitch and Steve: sounds like fantastic training heading into IMCDA! Rest up; you'll both do amazing. It kinda dwarfs the metric century event I did on Sunday, but the event went well. I stuck with my fiancee the whole ride; she didn't train much but we were able to sustain a 15mph pace throughout the 62 miles, albeit with some breaks at the rest stops. Best part about this ride is that my upcoming half tri in September shares almost the exact same route (the tri has a 58-mi bike leg) so I'll know exactly what to expect from the route come September. I did it with 8 other friends and we all finished with smiles on our faces. Although some of their quads or crotches (or both) were burning at the end, the beers and BBQ at the finish helped a little.

It's been getting pretty hot and humid around these areas, and yesterday I subbed for an outdoor 8v8 soccer game and was drenched with sweat 10 mins into warmup. I use soccer as my speedwork; or that's what I tell myself. Another busy weekend coming up with Tough Mudder Saturday morning and dragonboat festival all weekend! If anyone's done the TM before, what shoes would you recommend? I'm a noobie who's never raced in a mud/endurance event like this. I'm particularly not looking forward to being electrocuted. I might skip that obstacle.
2014-06-10 4:31 PM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Thanks Steve. To be clear, my thoughts on hill/speed work are as follows. Speed work will be done on a track...sprint straightaways, jog/walk curves. That's roughly 8 100M sprints per 1 mile. The thoughts on hill work would be to go up hill hard...walk down, rinse repeat. What I'm trying to do is get my legs used to hills again with the repeats and try to recruit my fast twitch muscles that have been dormant since my AT surgery. My legs are trashed right now from the 1 mile of speed work I did today. My long run/medium run will just be on different routes...if they have hills great, if not great. My concern is if doing too much speed/hill work will be detrimental (sp?) to making sure I have enough miles to support my longs.

And sadly, yes my logs are up to date....those pathetic paces are where I'm at
2014-06-10 6:59 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jay my bigger concern is that you get in enough miles and build up slowly enough that your body can handle the hard speed/hillwork miles. I prettymuch get up to a steady 25-35 miles per week before adding in any speed work. Once you get out of shape for running it just takes a really long time to get it back. You may have remembered me whining....er commenting on my lack of speed as it took me like 4 months to start seeing speed again after I had to take a few months off for the knee surgery thing. There is speed work and then there is SPEED work. It is fine to work on tempo type stuff or 100/200/400 repeats at a slightly faster pace, but to run 5k pace or faster you want that base of 25 miles per week for 1 month minimum before I would toss in the speedwork, preferably 6-8 weeks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.