BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-12-14 1:15 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Well, the misery that has been plaguing my co-workers has finally caught up with me.  I've been feeling a bit off in the evenings for a few days but today it has hit me hard.  Tried to do a trainer workout this morning (possibly a dumb idea) and I've been suffering since.

On another note, my 74 year old father (who has moved to North Carolina for the winter) is now on Strava.    I told him to buy an Edge 500 when they were on for the Black Friday sales.  Still working on getting a power meter on his bike...  

2014-12-14 1:33 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by Asalzwed Oh I wasn't aware you folks had mountains on the east coast
This is drawing me....... http://www.s2striathlon.com/home.htmland the East coast has the Savageman triathlon one of the toughtest half's in the country. The bike goes 7 miles up Savage Mt which cross the Eastern Continental Divide. Which, in the 1st mile of the climb face a 31% grade. The West coast is challenge with these two triathlons.

Saw that one too. Hope they can keep it going for later years. Think I would like to do it. Been hiking right there before, on the proposed run. Run is 5.5 miles but has as much elevation gain as any HIM bike leg with the except of Savageman. And it is definitely a trail. Near 1,000 ft per mile gain and actually better off trying to run on top of the rocks.

2014-12-14 8:29 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well, wrt to verts, I'm hoping that running in Hill Country will translate to faster times racing in normal land - unless I do a race like that.  1,000 ft per mile?!?  WTF?  We have a 10k loop here that's 100+ per mile and it's hideoso...  

Just got my second week over 30 miles running in a looong time, along with some decent swims (love that) and even an outside ride.  Gonna figure this whole thing out, I think.

How was everyone else's week/weekend?

Matt

2014-12-14 8:49 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Well, it might be only like ~900 ft/mile. I didn't have a garmin then verify and they listed a 4,000 ft difference from Pinkham Notch up to the top and it's just over 4 miles. I *think* it was all downhill from there to anything in the direction the race comes from, so all uphill in the race. Anyway, here is what you'd be running on and running to.

(150.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
150.JPG (743KB - 5 downloads)
2014-12-14 11:39 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed Oh I wasn't aware you folks had mountains on the east coast
This is drawing me....... http://www.s2striathlon.com/home.htmland the East coast has the Savageman triathlon one of the toughtest half's in the country. The bike goes 7 miles up Savage Mt which cross the Eastern Continental Divide. Which, in the 1st mile of the climb face a 31% grade. The West coast is challenge with these two triathlons.

That looks awesome! 

2014-12-15 4:11 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by brigby1

Well, it might be only like ~900 ft/mile. I didn't have a garmin then verify and they listed a 4,000 ft difference from Pinkham Notch up to the top and it's just over 4 miles. I *think* it was all downhill from there to anything in the direction the race comes from, so all uphill in the race. Anyway, here is what you'd be running on and running to.

Ben is that a picture of the actual Tuckermans Ravine Trail?

The guy that I asked to sherpa for me can not do the Sea 2 Summit. He is doing a bike tour down in NC that week. So does anyone want a to go to Maine the weekend of 27th June 2015? You'll get to drive to the top of Mt Washington while I attempt to run up the back side.

2014-12-15 7:39 AM

Master
Northern IL

Ben is that a picture of the actual Tuckermans Ravine Trail? The guy that I asked to sherpa for me can not do the Sea 2 Summit. He is doing a bike tour down in NC that week. So does anyone want a to go to Maine the weekend of 27th June 2015? You'll get to drive to the top of Mt Washington while I attempt to run up the back side.

This was before the actual ravine, so will have to find the maps to see if it's actually called Tuckerman's Ravine trail at that point. Had lots of clouds & fog to deal with with on that trip, so basically the only pic I have that shows the top from down low! The trail itself does look like that pretty much everywhere. The good thing about the rocks being SO big is that it was fine using some cheaper trail running shoes at the time. I could just hop on top of them and actually preferred the lighter running shoes to the tougher hiking shoes. "Tough" depending on what Merrell means to you, but much stiffer relative to running shoes.

2014-12-15 7:44 AM

Master
Northern IL

Some more treadmill intervals this morning, 12-15%. Is it sufficient to put "F Me" in the description? Seeing how the hills make it easier to see if core is holding position well, but doesn't really do anything to help it stay there. oof.

2014-12-15 9:26 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Mind if I join? I need some filter off TT, this group has the highest quotient of people whose opinions I like reading.

Name: Dave

Story: A varied, but undistinguished athletic background, slothdom and cigarettes until I decided to do a local sprint, which changed my lifestyle forever. Still figuring all this stuff out, but I love training, possibly even more than racing. I love introducing the sport to newcomers and helping them get on solid ground so they can share in the craziness with me.

2014-12-15 9:28 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Hey Dave, welcome to the group.  

2014-12-15 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by fisherman76

Mind if I join? I need some filter off TT, this group has the highest quotient of people whose opinions I like reading.

Name: Dave

Story: A varied, but undistinguished athletic background, slothdom and cigarettes until I decided to do a local sprint, which changed my lifestyle forever. Still figuring all this stuff out, but I love training, possibly even more than racing. I love introducing the sport to newcomers and helping them get on solid ground so they can share in the craziness with me.

Great another old guy........; )

Just kidding Dave welcome. You know what they say about opinions..........

The one with the most wins.

How long have you be living clean and training?

2014-12-15 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
ha not that old, not aging up to 40-44 until next year
Cleaned up 4 years ago now. Feels like it's been longer, though, it's been like living a new life!
2014-12-15 10:02 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Ben is that a picture of the actual Tuckermans Ravine Trail? The guy that I asked to sherpa for me can not do the Sea 2 Summit. He is doing a bike tour down in NC that week. So does anyone want a to go to Maine the weekend of 27th June 2015? You'll get to drive to the top of Mt Washington while I attempt to run up the back side.

Its gonna be a long trip if you're looking for Mt. Washington in Maine

2014-12-15 10:06 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by fisherman76 ha not that old, not aging up to 40-44 until next year Cleaned up 4 years ago now. Feels like it's been longer, though, it's been like living a new life!

I like to think of 39 as still being young!  

2014-12-15 10:14 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Shhhhhh - don't spoil it!  We're taking him snipe hunting after. 

Tuckerman's is one of my fave places.  Just read the race description more closely (didn't quite realize how AWESOME it was), and the hyperbole about the weather is, well, not really hyperbolic.  I've been stuck atop that ridge in 40kt wind, ZERO visibility, 30 degree temp - in late June.  Would be an epic race.

Well, if I can't wrangle the family to Sweden that weekend (good chance), maybe I'll get them back east.  Hmmmmm.... 

Dave - welcome!

Matt

2014-12-15 10:29 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Shhhhhh - don't spoil it!  We're taking him snipe hunting after. 

Tuckerman's is one of my fave places.  Just read the race description more closely (didn't quite realize how AWESOME it was), and the hyperbole about the weather is, well, not really hyperbolic.  I've been stuck atop that ridge in 40kt wind, ZERO visibility, 30 degree temp - in late June.  Would be an epic race.

Well, if I can't wrangle the family to Sweden that weekend (good chance), maybe I'll get them back east.  Hmmmmm.... 

Dave - welcome!

Matt

The day I went to the top it had 50-70 mph winds and a cloud had run into the mountain making some really thick fog. It was hard to walk straight.I'll have to find a pic later, but zero visibility also is not hyperbole as I could not see much of the observation deck while standing right on it. Let alone anything from it. I descended on a different trail and as soon as I got off the very top it was actually quite sunny. Well, probably still partly cloudy, but relatively bright after the previous couple hours going up. The cloud had run into the mountain range and just launched up higher from there.

2014-12-15 10:59 AM

User image

Seattle

900 - 1K elevation per mile is about right for a good hard run up I have found. Much more than that and the terrain is usually pretty technical/loose and harder to actually run. 

2014-12-15 11:22 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Asalzwed

900 - 1K elevation per mile is about right for a good hard run up I have found. Much more than that and the terrain is usually pretty technical/loose and harder to actually run. 

I think the 1.5 mile swim is up river and the 95 mile bike is 15k of climbing........

that would make a tough damn day for a snipe hunt......
2014-12-15 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by fisherman76

ha not that old, not aging up to 40-44 until next year
Cleaned up 4 years ago now. Feels like it's been longer, though, it's been like living a new life!

Oh snap.....You looked older in your avatar. My apologizes.
2014-12-15 11:30 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Yeah that was a little confusing. The race starts South Berwick, Maine and finishes on top on Mt Washington in Hew Hampshire.

2014-12-15 11:35 AM

User image

Champion
4 more days until Mauiiiiiiiiiiiiii. 4 more days until I don't have to work for 17! Been 7 months since my last vacay! (Ya ya...I know, woe is me...shhhh)

Less than 48hrs until Match Day. ughhhhhhhh.

I'm on Emerg starting today. Woo woo. Shift at 330. I'm watching TV and gonna go do a spin later.

Found a cool NYE run in Kaanapali. I'm slowly convincing my family that is would be goodtimes. I could prob convince you guys that it would be....right?

2014-12-15 11:52 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-12-15 11:54 AM
in reply to: Beer League Champ

Champion
Beer League Champ?

Really Fred? lol.

I feel like I missed something....
2014-12-15 11:59 AM
in reply to: Beer League Champ

2014-12-15 11:59 AM
in reply to: mndymond

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37751 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73064 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.