BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-10-12 7:12 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

I've only done one short run while here.  I had expected to get out for an hour today but I can't get out of the office.  Off all day tomorrow though.

2014-10-13 12:58 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Got back from Kona yesterday.  Columbus Day is a holiday for me, so this marks the last day of my 2 week vacation.  Back to the real world, and seriously need to go on a 4 month diet...LOL.

Kona was awesome...brought back lots of memories that makes me want to do another IM, but also memories of why I probably don't...at least in the near future.  The pros and top AGers were unbelievable to watch as they ran through the aid stations...I just couldn't fathom how fast they were really moving.  At mile 1, I thought Carfrae had no chance...at mile 9...I thought it would be very unlikely. 

All my friends finished.  One of them unofficial, but he got over the line while Mike Reilly was still there and got a hero's welcome from the crowd as if he won.  The turned off the lights right after him.  He's finished Kona before, so the medal/shirt/official finisher thing wasn't so important to him.  The mayor of the Big Island was also one of the last finishers.  Hats off to him.  Last time I did Honu in 2012, he took over 9 hours, but they kept the finish line open for him.  He's a pretty big guy, and he barely made the bike cutoff...but he kept moving and finished with about 5 minutes to spare.

I got to ride up Kaloko Drive.  OMFG...that is the nastiest hill you could ever dream of.

Volunteering for bike check in was just like I remembered it as an athlete.  I highly recommend it if you're in Kona.  I met so many people, and you can just feel their excitement.  Even got to check in the 2013 champ Fredrick van Lierde.  Super nice guy.

2014-10-13 5:55 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

Got back from Kona yesterday.  Columbus Day is a holiday for me, so this marks the last day of my 2 week vacation.  Back to the real world, and seriously need to go on a 4 month diet...LOL.

Kona was awesome...brought back lots of memories that makes me want to do another IM, but also memories of why I probably don't...at least in the near future.  The pros and top AGers were unbelievable to watch as they ran through the aid stations...I just couldn't fathom how fast they were really moving.  At mile 1, I thought Carfrae had no chance...at mile 9...I thought it would be very unlikely. 

All my friends finished.  One of them unofficial, but he got over the line while Mike Reilly was still there and got a hero's welcome from the crowd as if he won.  The turned off the lights right after him.  He's finished Kona before, so the medal/shirt/official finisher thing wasn't so important to him.  The mayor of the Big Island was also one of the last finishers.  Hats off to him.  Last time I did Honu in 2012, he took over 9 hours, but they kept the finish line open for him.  He's a pretty big guy, and he barely made the bike cutoff...but he kept moving and finished with about 5 minutes to spare.

I got to ride up Kaloko Drive.  OMFG...that is the nastiest hill you could ever dream of.

Volunteering for bike check in was just like I remembered it as an athlete.  I highly recommend it if you're in Kona.  I met so many people, and you can just feel their excitement.  Even got to check in the 2013 champ Fredrick van Lierde.  Super nice guy.

Now I want to go back again.  Super cool on the FVL check-in!

I knew exactly what road/hill you meant before looking it up, I cannot imagine trying to ride up that road - I had a hard time driving up it!

2014-10-14 4:55 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

I've only done one short run while here.  I had expected to get out for an hour today but I can't get out of the office.  Off all day tomorrow though.

My training is limited to remodelling a pain cave.

But this is a cool pain cave. I have officially been thrown out of the house. So I have taken over a detached garage at the back of the property.
2014-10-14 11:12 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Anyone seen swim.com? Its like strava for swimming...I think anyways...haha
2014-10-14 3:15 PM

User image

Holiday season is coming up, and I'm going to try and keep myself accountable using you folks.  I'm up to a plump 169 pounds and feel rather disgusting.  Slow and steady does it.  Not trying to start a weight loss challenge...just works better for me when I write things down even if none of you are paying attention or care.  

2014-10-14 4:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-10-14 4:29 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-10-14 5:42 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by Fred D

Holiday season is coming up, and I'm going to try and keep myself accountable using you folks.  I'm up to a plump 169 pounds and feel rather disgusting.  Slow and steady does it.  Not trying to start a weight loss challenge...just works better for me when I write things down even if none of you are paying attention or care.  

Jason, have you looked into the "My Fitness Pal" app?

It actually is really good (and links with Strava) for tracking calories and setting goals.

x2 on my fitness pal - that is the tool I used early this year when I dropped a lot of weight. There is a lot of in accurate data in it if you eat mostly self prepared/scratch meals, but you just have to use some common sense when selecting versions of food from its database. I used it for a month without making any changes to my eating at all just to get a handle on the changes I would need to make. I found it very interesting the kind of "diet" it pushed me to when I simply reduced calories without starving myself to death. If you try it and stick with it I will be interested to see what conclusions you draw.

I have been enjoying a planned unstructured and bad-food-filled month due to a lot of work-related travel, so I feel your pain: "disgusting" is exactly the way I feel. I am on my last layover on the way home from Kosovo (good lord, folks in the Balkans know how to eat!) and I will be very surprised if I am not up 10 pounds in a month. Hopefully I will feel up to finally getting back in to a routine tomorrow if not too jet-lagged. MyFitnessPal calorie counting will start back up officially on Monday. Whatever I weigh I don't plan on getting back down to what I think is my optimum race weight, but I would like to stay within about 5% of it though the holidays per the "Racing Weight" book.

2014-10-14 5:48 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by marcag 

My training is limited to remodelling a pain cave. But this is a cool pain cave. I have officially been thrown out of the house. So I have taken over a detached garage at the back of the property.

We are in the midst of a new house build. There is a huge finished area in the basement with a primary goal of being the ultimate pain cave ;-)

Awesome Marc - can't wait to see it! Fred, I knew you had the build going on and been meaning to ask how it was going and more importantly how in the world you were able to maintain training during it? We are hopefully going to finally begin ours in January, and I think it is going to consume an enormous amount of our time. Maybe just because I am in the design/build business I suppose. I am pretty sure JT and I are going to be our contractor's worst nightmare - but I think he is charging us the standard 20% "architect-as-owner" surcharge to cover that contingency. Heh.

2014-10-14 6:24 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by mndymondAnyone seen swim.com? Its like strava for swimming...I think anyways...haha

Awesome! I was just sitting here thinking I needed one more website to log all my data.... :^)

Since I don't know any swimmers that swim with a watch (that seems to be a strangeness reserved exclusively for triathletes) I will bet they will eventually add really crappy tools to track cycling, you know, so they really do become the "Strava" of swimming. Ha-ha!

on that note, for those of you are hat swim masters: does your group allow you to wear a watch? One of mine does (and again it is just a coue of triathletes that do) but the other does not - always wondered what was normal?

2014-10-14 6:45 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

Originally posted by TankBoy

It actually is really good (and links with Strava) for tracking calories and setting goals.

x2 on my fitness pal - that is the tool I used early this year when I dropped a lot of weight. There is a lot of in accurate data in it if you eat mostly self prepared/scratch meals, but you just have to use some common sense when selecting versions of food from its database. I used it for a month without making any changes to my eating at all just to get a handle on the changes I would need to make. I found it very interesting the kind of "diet" it pushed me to when I simply reduced calories without starving myself to death. If you try it and stick with it I will be interested to see what conclusions you draw.

I have been enjoying a planned unstructured and bad-food-filled month due to a lot of work-related travel, so I feel your pain: "disgusting" is exactly the way I feel. I am on my last layover on the way home from Kosovo (good lord, folks in the Balkans know how to eat!) and I will be very surprised if I am not up 10 pounds in a month. Hopefully I will feel up to finally getting back in to a routine tomorrow if not too jet-lagged. MyFitnessPal calorie counting will start back up officially on Monday. Whatever I weigh I don't plan on getting back down to what I think is my optimum race weight, but I would like to stay within about 5% of it though the holidays per the "Racing Weight" book.

Installed on my phone and I'll give it a try.  Seems a lot easier to use than previous calorie counting apps or websites so this may help.  We'll see how it goes.  

2014-10-15 5:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
Installed on my phone and I'll give it a try.  Seems a lot easier to use than previous calorie counting apps or websites so this may help.  We'll see how it goes.  

My personal experience with it

Give it some time. The more repetitive your meals or the more meals you enter, the easier. For example I have the same breakfast every day. Because of this, it takes me 10seconds to enter my breakfast. Entering a new meal/food may take a minute or two longer.

You quickly figure out what calorie deficit you need to hit. Me, it's about 500 calories.

They seem to underestimate biking calorie expenditure (IMO). They are always less than Garmin and what I calculate going from watts.

It also syncs with TP.
2014-10-15 6:38 AM

Extreme Veteran

My training is limited to remodelling a pain cave. But this is a cool pain cave. I have officially been thrown out of the house. So I have taken over a detached garage at the back of the property.

We are in the midst of a new house build. There is a huge finished area in the basement with a primary goal of being the ultimate pain cave ;-)

Awesome Marc - can't wait to see it! Fred, I knew you had the build going on and been meaning to ask how it was going and more importantly how in the world you were able to maintain training during it? We are hopefully going to finally begin ours in January, and I think it is going to consume an enormous amount of our time. Maybe just because I am in the design/build business I suppose. I am pretty sure JT and I are going to be our contractor's worst nightmare - but I think he is charging us the standard 20% "architect-as-owner" surcharge to cover that contingency. Heh.

My wife told me that if I built another house she divorces me. Could get expensive.
I acted as the main contractor for our 2nd house and did maybe 10% of the work myself
I gutted the interior of our 3rd and did half the work myself
I built 50% of our cottage myself.
There is not a trade I have not done. Incredible workouts.

Pain cave to date consists of breaking a 6" cement floor that was cracking all over and pouring cement
Next will be an 80 foot trench to bring electricity to the building.

Let's call it cross training.

The Lindsey Corbin pain cave video gives lots of ideas.

I always wonder if a VASA machine is a good thing.

2014-10-15 8:51 AM

Elite
Ontario

. I always wonder if a VASA machine is a good thing.

I first read that as VISA based on how many projects you've undertaken...

2014-10-15 8:55 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Elite
Ontario

I'm happy to say that I got in two very short runs on the weekend - the first ones in 4 weeks following Muskoka.  I got hurt 2 weeks before the race, and stopped running afterwards.  Started to see a Physio a few weeks ago and got the go ahead for a couple of short runs.  Saw her again this morning and there's still tightness that needs to be worked out, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I should be able to slowly re-introduce the runs.  I reckon 4 weeks off means about 8 weeks to get back to where I was - that sound about right?

2014-10-15 12:49 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

For a full week after 70.3 WC, I did nothing active (short of walking!) and ate everything I wanted (I was still in Canada for a few days, so splurged on poutine, French food, and candy we can't get in the US).  I was giving myself from Sunday after the race through the following Sunday to splurge and be lazy....by the last day, my stomach had been hurting for a day (and continued into Monday) and all I wanted to do was stop eating junk and drinking wine!  But it was delicious and so worth it (but I remember why I don't do it on a normal basis)!

I'm sure I'm up a few pounds from where I raced (and was up a few pounds from SG anyways), but will not worry about being too restrictive till next year.  Certainly making an effort to not get crazy fat.  I also log my food and workouts on MFP.

2014-10-15 12:51 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by GoFaster

I'm happy to say that I got in two very short runs on the weekend - the first ones in 4 weeks following Muskoka.  I got hurt 2 weeks before the race, and stopped running afterwards.  Started to see a Physio a few weeks ago and got the go ahead for a couple of short runs.  Saw her again this morning and there's still tightness that needs to be worked out, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I should be able to slowly re-introduce the runs.  I reckon 4 weeks off means about 8 weeks to get back to where I was - that sound about right?

Glad to hear you're making progress with that injury!

As a random side note, I was consider Muskoka 70.3 for next year....and then I found out that they moved it to early July.  It was going to fit perfectly in my schedule as an early September race, but July is a no go.  Bummer!

2014-10-15 1:34 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Glad to hear you're making progress with that injury!

As a random side note, I was consider Muskoka 70.3 for next year....and then I found out that they moved it to early July.  It was going to fit perfectly in my schedule as an early September race, but July is a no go.  Bummer!

There is no shade on that run - I don't see myself doing this race again as long as it stays in July.  The heat and humidity would destroy me.  I would predict there will be no PR's on that course after the date change.  I am thinking about a flat HIM in June of next year (same folks that just put on Barrelman that Arend did), so I hope for less polar vortex this winter so I can long rides in earlier in the season next year.

Brings up a question - do you ride in aero on the trainer?  I don't like the position, even though mostly comfortable on the road, but for my first flat 56mile ride I think I need to spend more time getting used to it.

2014-10-15 2:03 PM

Originally posted by marcagMy personal experience with it Give it some time. The more repetitive your meals or the more meals you enter, the easier. For example I have the same breakfast every day. Because of this, it takes me 10seconds to enter my breakfast. Entering a new meal/food may take a minute or two longer. You quickly figure out what calorie deficit you need to hit. Me, it's about 500 calories. They seem to underestimate biking calorie expenditure (IMO). They are always less than Garmin and what I calculate going from watts. It also syncs with TP.

Yeah, I think if I can stick with it for a few weeks, it will get a lot easier to input everything.  I also eat the same breakfast (oatmeal with raisins...I cut out the honey and boiled eggs...I had high cholesterol my last blood test) everyday so that does help.  I love the fact that I can get all my workout from my edge 510, bluetooth to my phone and garmin connect and auto sync to Strava and MFP.  If I was still doing everything manually, I don't think I take the extra steps to enter more data into MFP.

We have a boss' day potluck tomorrow at work...so that will be my first test.  Last night I was going to get something to snack on after dinner, but was too lazy to figure out how many calories were in it so I didn't eat it...LOL...maybe that's the secret!!!

2014-10-15 2:04 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Brings up a question - do you ride in aero on the trainer?  I don't like the position, even though mostly comfortable on the road, but for my first flat 56mile ride I think I need to spend more time getting used to it.

Neil - I don't, but then again I almost never even put my TT bike on the trainer - when on the trainer I am almost always exclusively on the roadie. I will ride in the drops when on the trainer maybe 50% of the time and almost all of the time when I am on the road. FWIW I actually do the bulk of my riding on my road bike. During the late spring and summer I will start riding my TT bike more often when my training gets more race-specific, but even then it is probably only once per week on average, with the rest of my riding on the road bike. If I seemed to suffer any issues when switching back and forth from one to the other I would probably change my tune, but up to now it has always worked for me without any acclimation problems. Also FWIW when in the drops on the roadie my positions/angles are actually very similar to the TT bike, but simply rotated around the bottom bracket.

2014-10-15 2:11 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

I have my tri bike on the trainer all winter but do a lot of the hard work out of the aerobars.  They are there more so that I have something to get into to recover on.  

I don't find a lack of time on the aerobars over the winter to be a detriment.  I can pretty much get myself used to the position again in a few rides outside.  

As for the weight thing, I'm travelling at the moment and last night I ate at a place called "Fatburger".

2014-10-15 2:11 PM

Neil - I don't, but then again I almost never even put my TT bike on the trainer - when on the trainer I am almost always exclusively on the roadie. I will ride in the drops when on the trainer maybe 50% of the time and almost all of the time when I am on the road. FWIW I actually do the bulk of my riding on my road bike. During the late spring and summer I will start riding my TT bike more often when my training gets more race-specific, but even then it is probably only once per week on average, with the rest of my riding on the road bike. If I seemed to suffer any issues when switching back and forth from one to the other I would probably change my tune, but up to now it has always worked for me without any acclimation problems. Also FWIW when in the drops on the roadie my positions/angles are actually very similar to the TT bike, but simply rotated around the bottom bracket.

This is my limited experience on the trainer as well.  I also do most of my training on my road bike just like Rusty with very little acclimation problems when switching back and forth.  

2014-10-15 2:33 PM
in reply to: 0

A friend of mine who was the last "unofficial finisher" before Mike Reilly shut it down and the lights went out.  The crowd at Kona for these late finishers was unreal.  At 9:30 pm, I saw a lot of people with finisher shirts and their bikes walking away from transition and the finish line.  At 11 pm, I saw a lot of those same people walking back to the finish line.  THOUSANDS of people there at midnight.

Edited by Jason N 2014-10-15 2:39 PM

(Finish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Finish.jpg (65KB - 2 downloads)
2014-10-15 2:40 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Awesome Jason!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37708 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73010 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.