BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-06-30 9:02 AM
in reply to: #4999046

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Hey everyone! The race went great yesterday! I still have no idea what my times were, but I felt great and am so happy I accomplished it. The bike was definitely the hardest part for me. At one point I was thinking I had to be close to the end, only to find out I was at mile 9 :-) I finished strong on the run though! Will do a RR once I get the results.

I had a little drama around the race, which put a damper on it. My friend that I visited 1) decided to have a party the night before bc it was her bday, 2) got upset when, at 1130pm, I asked them to move to someone else's condo in the same building, and 3) got so wasted that she didnt wake up and I had to uber to my race (which cost $120). This trip had been planned for months, but I felt like a huge burden. I stayed in a hotel last night and head home tonight. I am trying to focus on how great I feel about my race :-) and can't wait for the next one, when I hopefully have some support!

2014-06-30 9:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Nicole -

Congrats on your race! Bummer about the lame friend. If it's any consolation, it can be hard to sleep the night before a race even when quiet.

Have you checked the race website? Most of the races I do have results posted the same day. Looking forward to reading the race report.

Rebecca

Edited by miche033 2014-06-30 9:44 AM
2014-06-30 9:34 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Nicole,
Sounds like you had a great race. Can't wait to read the race report.
-Todd
2014-06-30 10:43 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Originally posted by miche033

Race report posted!

Hoping for a massage and going to bed. Later, everyone!

Great one! That swim time looks like you are ready for the big time! Next time, don't mention the current -- nobody would know!

Massage sounds great.
2014-06-30 1:39 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Gary,
Its the Timex Ironman T5K143 (I believe anyway - thats what it says on the back). Its been good to me, so no reason not to recommend. Its waterproof to a certain depth (deeper than a triathlete would normally swim)
- Todd
2014-06-30 1:54 PM
in reply to: trei

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Nicole, great to hear it all went well despite the drama!

2014-06-30 2:19 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Carlo,

Thanks for the info on max HR test and tempo. I think you're probably right about what I should expect race day. My z2 rides (which I'm guessing at bc I don' t yet know my max HR) are around 18 - 19.5 mph. When I push it, I'm up just under 21 or a little over. I imagine really pushing it on race day. I'm about a month out from my first race of the season. Looking forward to testing out my theory soon enough!
2014-07-01 9:29 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey all!

I'm finally back in Baltimore (and back to work ). I have had the chance to put my race report together! Overall I am extremely pleased with my race, and completely hooked on triathlons. I know where I now know where I will need to focus in order to improve on my time!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

I think that should take you to my RR, but let me know if it doesn't work.

Rebecca, I had the chance to read yours as well, sounds like it went really great! Congrats! I'm sure it warmed your heart to have your 5 year old there for you at the end!
2014-07-01 10:14 AM

User image

Originally posted by nicole14e

Hey all!

I'm finally back in Baltimore (and back to work ). I have had the chance to put my race report together! Overall I am extremely pleased with my race, and completely hooked on triathlons. I know where I now know where I will need to focus in order to improve on my time!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

I think that should take you to my RR, but let me know if it doesn't work.

Rebecca, I had the chance to read yours as well, sounds like it went really great! Congrats! I'm sure it warmed your heart to have your 5 year old there for you at the end!

I think you have to make it public so that others can read it.

Times look solid for a first tri, especially bike and run! What type of bike were you on?
2014-07-01 10:42 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Okay I think it should be readable now.

I am not actually sure about the bike. It was a pretty good one (It was my friend's old bike). It was yellow...haha that's all I really remember right now, but I will see if any of the other pictures show it better.
2014-07-01 10:52 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

I am not actually sure about the bike. It was a pretty good one (It was my friend's old bike). It was yellow...haha that's all I really remember right now, but I will see if any of the other pictures show it better.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Nicole

RR above one word "Impressive!!!!"

Sub 2 mins/ 100 yds. ,18 mph @ Rolling hills and 8:0+ min/mile!!!! Wow and this is your first so much potential to get faster!!!!

We have female Speed demon in our midst!!!! Watch out Gary!!!

Congrats Nicole!!!

Edited by strykergt 2014-07-01 10:53 AM

2014-07-01 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Ditto what Carlo said. Fantastic job Nicole!!! You are fast!

A note about swimming straight - I agree, I tend to sight way more than necessary in races because I want assurance. How straight you go depends on your stroke and the conditions, wind, current, etc. You can see how good you are at going straight by swimming with your eyes closed. Works best if you have some open area, eg no lane lines in the way. I totally go left when I swim. If there's a strong current, then all bets are off. 

On the other hand, I remember seeing a video of the world open water swimming championships - here on BT, I think - and those amazing swimmers were sighting every stroke. They just do it a lot better/faster than I do. I'm sure I lift my head out of the water more than necessary. 

I try to sight every 3rd stroke: breathe left, stroke right, stroke left, sight (instead of breathe right), stroke left, stroke right, breathe left, etc. What do the rest of you do that works well?

Rebecca

2014-07-01 12:16 PM

User image

Originally posted by strykergt

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Nicole

RR above one word "Impressive!!!!"

Sub 2 mins/ 100 yds. ,18 mph @ Rolling hills and 8:0+ min/mile!!!! Wow and this is your first so much potential to get faster!!!!

We have female Speed demon in our midst!!!! Watch out Gary!!!

Congrats Nicole!!!

I got to the RR this time. Way to go, Nicole! Sounds like a phenomenal experience (except for the transportation issues!). Great to hear you got something out of it, besides a medal, of course! Congrats!
2014-07-01 7:33 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Awesome race and great RR Nicole! That sucks about the friend drama.
2014-07-01 7:43 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

Carlo,

Thanks for the info on max HR test and tempo. I think you're probably right about what I should expect race day. My z2 rides (which I'm guessing at bc I don' t yet know my max HR) are around 18 - 19.5 mph. When I push it, I'm up just under 21 or a little over. I imagine really pushing it on race day. I'm about a month out from my first race of the season. Looking forward to testing out my theory soon enough!

You can read the on of the BT methods for calculating zones. It's basically warm up for 10 minutes then go all out for 20 minutes then plug your average HR for the last 20 minutes into the LT (lactate threshold) cell of the BT calculator. Click on your name in the upper right then settings then training log settings then HR zone manager. BTW your cycling LT is usually about 10 BOM less than your running LT.

BT article - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

PS. Testing sucks. I don't like running or cycling so hard I feel like passing out :-)
2014-07-01 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I'm a few days behind but I'll try and catch up.

Anna - Goggles can be frustrating.  I was given a new pair of Zoggs last year and they've been really good.  They fit lose, feel comfortable and so far no leaking.  Now I need to find a source for them.  In your report of your training on the HIM course you mention changing into dry gear for the bike ride.  Are you planning to do this at your HIM?  In my events I wear my tri-shorts and top under my wetsuit and once my wetsuit is off I just throw on my glasses, helmet, socks and shoes then grab the bike and I'm off. 

You rode the beast hill and you tamed it.  Now it will be a lot less of a concern for you.

In regards to your bike/run fitness it sometimes isn't easy to trust your training plan but keep training and trust in the plan AND trust in the taper.  Last year as I was getting ready for a 180km bike ride I rode 120km three Sundays in a row and I was completely done after 5:30 on the bike.  I was getting really worried that I couldn't do the distance nor the time I would need to do it in.  I was also having lots of saddle issues.  So much so that at two weeks out I stopped riding all together and tapered in to the race.  Come race day I took off on the bike and felt strong the whole way except for a new knee problem and chasing an 82 yr old Sister Madonna that beat me to the finish.

I would recommend you practice lots of running off your bike to get your legs acclimated to it.

2014-07-01 9:14 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Nicole - What an awesome race you had.  Too bad about the drama.  I was curious to ask, what is an "uber".  Some kind of taxi I presume. 

In some of my races and even just in OWS on a regular basis I've noticed that as I approach the end of a swim the finish somehow seems to recede further away.  I'll sight to the finish and think 300m to go and next time I sight it is still 300m away.  It can be frustrating.

Nicole and Miche - I'm embarrassed to say I usually sight after every 15 left arm strokes (on the 16th).  I may have to reconsider this but it seems to work well when the sun is behind me or it is overcast but when I'm swimming into the sun I find it hard to avoid zig-zaging.  One time I found myself turned 90 degrees to the north and heading up the lake, outside the buoys and aiming for Vernon 135km away.

Miche - Your race report was great and loved hearing about your sons first event.  I love it whenever they have a "Kids of Steel" race locally.  The kids are fun to watch.  Your swim was amazing and I never would have thought of a current.

Carlo - My new bike is a Felt Z4 road bike.  A fairly nice entry level carbon bike.  Nothing too fancy.  I'm not fast enough to justify a Tri bike.  Maybe someday.  I am fairly apprehensive about the aerobars but I'll write more about that in my next post.

No problem mentioning my stolen bike.  I'm not that emotional about it BUUUT, this Thursday (3rd) will be the one year anniversary of the theft and of the day I got my new bike.  As of today I have ridden the new bike just shy of 4000km in the year.

2014-07-01 9:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

On Sunday we went out for our 5hr ride.  It was a beautiful day with no wind to speak of and we rode south to Oliver and Osoyoos then up Richter pass (380m/ 1247ft climb) and then down the opposite side of Richter.  I hit 64.4kph/40mph on the descent but as we came out from behind the mountain and turned back to the north we were hit by a massive north wind.  We hit the seven sisters (big rolling hills) so fast descents followed by slow climbs.  The wind slowed me down to 13kph/8mph on the flats while I was spinning as hard as I could go.  Over the next 30+km I was struggling to maintain an average of 18kph/11mph.  At times the wind would gust and hit me like a wall.  Also, At one point going up a hill I rode by 5 big horn sheep (within 10ft).

I didn't complain and I just kept riding but I couldn't believe how slow we were and how hard it was.  I was SO glad to see my wife at one of our planned meeting spots at 100km into the ride.  Last year I did this same 120km ride in 5:28 but I only had 20 minutes left to my 5hr point and I decided to just ride that far and then call it a day.  Even my friend who is stronger/faster than I am was done.  In the end I only totalled 106.4Km/66miles when I was hoping to finish 120.  We also climbed a total of 1244m/ 4081ft.  All the climbing really slows your pace and the descents never make up for it.

Yesterday I went down to the lake for an easy 1800m swim.  It was one of those magical days.  Perfect weather, calm water and more than 20 swimmers in the water or going in or coming out.  Lots of runners going by at the same time and cyclists going by on the road.  Just awesome energy from everyone around.  Many people just hung around chatting with everyone.

Today I mounted my areobars and tried them out just riding around some quiet streets.  I need to make some adjustments to them and I might get a fitting with them.  I found getting down on them not too bad but I was a bit shaky with them although I managed the corners fairly well.  The only bad thing was - my bike worked well all day Sunday then today my rear derailleur wouldn't work.  I couldn't change gears up or down.  I don't think I did anything mounting the aerobars but I'll take it in to the LBS tomorrow if I can't figure out what is wrong.

Sorry about the length of this.  You wouldn't guess I'm really quite quiet.

2014-07-02 12:03 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Awesome race, Nicole! Congratulations on the podium finish, what a speedster!

2014-07-02 12:14 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

George, thanks for the advice re: bike fitness and yes, I must practice running off the bike more, it's always challenging. I'm not planning to try and change into dry clothes on race day--this weekend it was more  to try and stay a little warmer out on the bike (air temp around 14 C when we got out of the water, that's icy for us), I've got the half-marathon this Sunday and didn't want to get sick. I think I should have the goggles sorted, I use Aquasphere Kaimans which are comfy and leak-free until they get corroded by the pool chlorine. I've worked out my current pair have lasted 6 months, so that's not too bad I guess. I've ordered more (internet store) and this time I'm going to log them here on BT to keep a closer check on how long they last.

2014-07-02 8:43 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thank you, everyone! I couldn't have done it without all your support and suggestions!

Rebecca, thank you for the advice on sighting. I am going to try to get more open water swims in so I can practice it.

George - Yes, Uber is a car service, but you can order it through your phone and they just charge your credit card on file. You can order a black car, SUV, or just a regular car.
Also, that is exactly what happened to me with the last 300m!! I was swimming so hard, and kept thinking "I must be closer!" but then I definitely wasn't as close as I thought.
Good luck with your aerobars!

2014-07-03 2:56 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

anyone have any good plans for the holiday weekend (aussies and canadians exempt )??

looks like tomorrow morning i will get rained out by hurricane arthur to be followed up by a freaking gorgeous weekend - can't wait!  lots of beach time i hope!

2014-07-03 10:00 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by mehaner

anyone have any good plans for the holiday weekend (aussies and canadians exempt )??

looks like tomorrow morning i will get rained out by hurricane arthur to be followed up by a freaking gorgeous weekend - can't wait!  lots of beach time i hope!

Cooking for the neighbors tomorrow afternoon. If I remember to take pics, I'll post them. Besides that, I need to get a 6 and 13 mile run in plus some chores.

Edited by ransick 2014-07-03 10:15 PM
2014-07-04 12:56 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by ransick

PS. Testing sucks. I don't like running or cycling so hard I feel like passing out :-)

x2...!!

2014-07-04 5:53 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by mehaner

Work tomorrow morning, collect race pack in the afternoon...Sunday early start for the half marathon, then family stuff for the rest of the day. Looking forward to it!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37744 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73059 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.