General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Training Plan Concern Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-21 1:02 PM

User image

Seattle, Washington
Subject: Sprint Training Plan Concern
Good afternoon all!

So I'm struggling a bit here with the training plan that is laid out. I'm looking at the 16 week balanced sprint tri program. I'm doing the Giant Acorn Sprint in Spotsylvania, VA in September so I have plenty of time still.

This will be my first tri, and I haven't really done much since rugby at college, but I've been hitting the gym pretty hard losing weight all year and decided this seemed like a ton of fun. Signed up to make sure I had a goal! Here are my concerns:

The workouts seem way too short. I understand that I can extend the times and what not, and that these are for basic sprint distances, but I'm in the gym 5 or 6 days a week now. I'm running about 5 miles at 9 min (still slow I know) for each of my three runs. My average swim is about an hour and in the 2k to 2500 distance range (again, not fast but working on it) and I've done a number of hour long rides on the W&OD of about 16 miles (yes I need to get faster!). I guess my actual question here is how to extend them and still stick to the program.Should I switch to an Olympic distance training plan?

I've only done 3 brick days so far, and they all went pretty well. Two of them were 4 mile runs followed by 800m swims. One was a 13 mile ride followed by a 5k run. I think my biggest concern is still weight loss, and I don't want to cut down my workout times to fit the plan, but also don't want to alter it too drastically.

Any input, thoughts, better places to post this?!

Thanks in advance, BT has been a great resource so far!

-Ben

2014-05-21 1:11 PM
in reply to: benjooster

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Subject: RE: Sprint Training Plan Concern
Based on the distances you said you can already cover, I think you'll be just fine in completing a sprint.

What are you goals for the race in September? Just to finish or are you wanting to place in your AG?

If you were to switch to an Oly training plan, that wouldn't hurt a bit as far as your sprint race is concerned. You'll probably actually do better (this is what I've been told because I've only done sprints and want to do an Oly this September as well).

Is the swim in a pool or open water? Have you swam in choppy water or even a pool while others are swimming? This can kind of mimic the choppiness when the race has started and can get you used to water splashing in your face while you're trying to breathe.

All in all it sounds like you're well on your way to doing well in your race. Congrats on choosing triathlon. It can get expensive
2014-05-21 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Those training plans were generated based on finishing times of people at the back of the pack, so that you don't start at too high of a volume given the minutes that are in the plan. Since it sounds like you already have a somewhat reasonable base under you, it's not too surprising that (especially month #1) seems very short to you.

There are coaches that log in here that will be able to give you way better advice, but since that sprint is so far out in the year I'd look into signing up for one that is much sooner - like next month sometime. From what you've listed there you could definitely complete it, plus you'll gain experience that will only make you better at the next one you decide to do (if you decide to do another, of course).
2014-05-21 1:22 PM
in reply to: jjupiter100

User image

Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by jjupiter100
What are you goals for the race in September? Just to finish or are you wanting to place in your AG?
-Right now I would like to finish, but the more I workout the more I feel like I need a better goal. Right now I am targeting 2 hours, but I want to refine that as I get closer/practice my transitions.

Is the swim in a pool or open water?

-It's all been pool so far. I have had to "swim circles" once or twice in the lane as we had to pack three people into it so that was a bit crowded. I'm headed to the beach with the GF's family this June and am gonna try and get some good OWS in down there.

It can get expensive
-Tell me about it! I'm riding my buddies old bike right now while I save up. When I told my folks they weren't surprised I chose tri as apparently i have a penchant for expensive hobbies!
2014-05-21 1:24 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by CycloneVM
I'd look into signing up for one that is much sooner - like next month sometime.

Been looking to, but can't justify the cash output right now. I still need to get some gear and then pay for the race. I'll just keep plugging away and have plan going into the September race. If circumstances change though I will definitely get into one a bit earlier!

Thanks for the input!

-Ben
2014-05-21 1:29 PM

This is one of the issues when sticking to a plan that you didn't create for yourself. I wouldn't suggest you back off your current volume just so it fits nicely with the plan you have in front of you. I think you're at the point where it might be a good idea to sit down and open up Excel. Use the sprint plan you have in front of you as a template, and start designing a custom plan based on what time you want to spend on each sport. The more time you spend, the faster your going to be. .

I would suggest that you go pick up a book called 'The Triathlete's Training Bible.' It will give you lots of good information about building your own training plan.

If you don't want to go through that, and you might not given that you haven't even completed your first race yet, then yes, open up the Olympic training plan. See if the time spent/volume is more in-line with your current levels and where you want to be. You aren't hurting yourself doing this.

Whatever you choose, it's a good idea to track what you have done. This website has a great logging tool that is free to use.

2014-05-21 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4999512

No great suggestions, but I asked a very similar question a week or two ago. It seems like the sprint plans on this site are designed for someone without much base. I've been only loosely following mine, using the times on the plan as a minimum. I figure doing more minutes won't hurt unless it's something your body isn't already used to. Good luck!!
2014-05-21 4:31 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
In my opinion if you're able to run 9 min. miles for 4-5 miles, swim 2-2.5K yards and ride a bike for an hour straight, I say just swim 2-3x/week, run 2-3x/week and bike 2-3x/week, increasing intensity on bike and swim over time with interval type work. Running mostly easy, sometimes hard, meaning maybe 2 easy runs and one run with some speedwork each week. Swim sessions should include things like 5x100 10x50 with decreasing invervals as ability progresses. Ride and ride lots, time in the saddle will pay dividends on race day. For ones first sprint, don't overthink it if you have to.

You have to take into account people's personalities as well, some simply do better with a plan, and some are FREE on this site, that's what they're for.

To the OP, I say go for it if you want to go with an Olympic plan. You'll be in good shape for that sprint.

Note to beginners: You can overdo it from time to time swimming and biking, respect the run. This is where many injuries come, so only increase mileage 10% per week as a simple rule of thumb.
2014-05-21 10:57 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
Ben, you would have no problems racing a sprint tomorrow. So as others have mentioned, you already have a base in all 3 sports which makes your starting point different. You can either hold your current volume or build to an Olympic...respecting the run as the prior poster mentioned.Good luck...I really think you are already here! Also maybe making your first race an Olympic would be better inline with your current abilities?Welcome!
2014-05-22 12:12 AM
in reply to: Ron

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Ron

Ben, you would have no problems racing a sprint tomorrow. So as others have mentioned, you already have a base in all 3 sports which makes your starting point different. You can either hold your current volume or build to an Olympic...respecting the run as the prior poster mentioned.Good luck...I really think you are already here! Also maybe making your first race an Olympic would be better inline with your current abilities?Welcome!

AGree with this. You don't need much equipment to do a traithlon except the bike you already own or can borrow from someone, running shoes, a swimsuit & goggles. The race feel is ikley the most expensive component if you've already got the prior 3 items. Really just 1 or 2 key items for each sport (oh...a helmet too). But seriously...I coach a college team and they ahve no money...they beg borrow and just short of steal gear so they can complete.

Find an earlier one to do and get it out of the way then you'll be overly prepared for hte Sept one.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Training Plan Concern Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Concerns with 1/2 IM plan

Started by graceful_dave
Views: 882 Posts: 9

2009-02-03 12:38 PM JBrashear

Incorporating weights into training plan for first sprint...

Started by bmilmine
Views: 886 Posts: 4

2006-03-15 11:44 AM nbo10

Sprint Training Plan with HRM

Started by mnewton
Views: 645 Posts: 2

2005-04-13 1:01 PM marmadaddy

"Sprint Triathlon Training plan 3x"

Started by luckyshot176
Views: 1435 Posts: 15

2004-10-15 12:28 AM Ron

Sprint training plan...

Started by runhappy
Views: 611 Posts: 4

2004-09-11 3:43 PM runhappy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 30, 2013
author : Ron
comments : 1
We have new 10 and 20 week training plans for the New Year! These mini sprint plans are very conservative and will get any person thinking of training for a triathlon ready to cross the finish-line.

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 12 week, 1 race plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
date : September 13, 2004
comments : 35
A great 13 week sprint triathlon training plan with good guidelines leading up to it. Have fun!

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.