General Discussion Triathlon Talk » computrainer -- to buy or not Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-11 10:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Subject: computrainer -- to buy or not
I have run into a decent deal on a computrainer. It is not great a deal but better than retail. Anyhow, I was wondering who has one, how has it benefitted your training, and would you recommend it.

A bit about myself--I am a middle of the packer (could be closer to front of the pack if I could run faster). I am very interested in getting stronger on the bike. Live in a flat midwestern city with cold winters. Like music (wait wrong post :P).

Any advice would be great!!
Thanks in advance.

2006-08-11 11:06 AM
in reply to: #508827

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: computrainer -- to buy or not
I say do it. Living in a Midwestern city even farther north than you, I really need something that's going to keep me motivated and on the bike throughout the short eternity known as "Winter in Wisconsin". That motivating factor has become the CT, particularly the feature that lets me race against myself (my evil nemesis). Using the CT has also helped me learn oodles about power output and how it's affected by my pedalling motion and body position.

Plus the thing is quiet and I can use it in the morning without waking the kids or wife up (Scooby, however, comes and lays down next to me patiently for the whole session.)

Do it-- you know you want to.
2006-08-11 11:18 AM

User image

Elite
Texas

I have one, and I love it.  I consider myself a beginner cyclist, and honestly I use my Computrainer to about 20% of it's potential. I've been solid MOP at 2 of my 3 races this year and I almost never get out of Zone 2 on the trainer. As I improve (and ride consistently) I'll get closer to maximizing the bells and whistles. I do train by watts. I would recommend that you get it if you can. Especially if you are looking to improve your workouts.

2006-08-11 11:20 AM
in reply to: #508872

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I owned one of the original models back in the day (the one that ran off of the Nintendo game system) and absolutely loved it. Wish I still had it .......

I'd definitely recommend it if you are willing to spend the cash.
2006-08-11 11:20 AM

User image

Queen BTich
I've heard nothing but good things about them and would love to get one. One day, maybe next year.
2006-08-11 11:44 AM
in reply to: #508872

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
RGRBILL - 2006-08-11 12:18 PM

I have one, and I love it.  I consider myself a beginner cyclist, and honestly I use my Computrainer to about 20% of it's potential. I've been solid MOP at 2 of my 3 races this year and I almost never get out of Zone 2 on the trainer. As I improve (and ride consistently) I'll get closer to maximizing the bells and whistles. I do train by watts. I would recommend that you get it if you can. Especially if you are looking to improve your workouts.

i am in the same boat... i say buy it... it's a great tool 

2006-08-11 12:08 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

instigator - 2006-08-11 8:52 AM I have run into a decent deal on a computrainer. It is not great a deal but better than retail. Anyhow, I was wondering who has one, how has it benefitted your training, and would you recommend it. A bit about myself--I am a middle of the packer (could be closer to front of the pack if I could run faster). I am very interested in getting stronger on the bike. Live in a flat midwestern city with cold winters. Like music (wait wrong post :P). Any advice would be great!! Thanks in advance.

I have an athlete selling one - PM what you are paying - this one is brand new and the athlete will pay for shipping too.

2006-08-11 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I think it depends on how you want to use it. If you like the idea of having an indoor 'race' on different courses against a pace setter; or like the idea of building your own courses for indoor rides; the CT is great.

However, if you are more interested in tracking your power output and training with power, I would suggest buying a power meter (Ergo, Powertap, etc.) and using it on a regular trainer. That way you can have power information for both your indoor and outdoor rides.

I love my Computrainer. But in retrospect I'd have purchased a power meter (probably Ergo) and used that with a trainer indoors. Once I started understanding cycling with power I really wanted to have the same information I get from my CT for my outdoor rides. In fact it's kind of a bummer NOT to have it.

However, another advantage of the CT is to ride and train on a course indoors that you might not get the opportunity see otherwise. (You can live in Canada and train on a course for a race in California).

In a perfect world I'd have both a CT and a power meter. ;)

But yes, I would recommend a CompuTrainer, especially for those long, cold winter days. It's helped my biking considerably. And it helps make indoor riding much more enjoyable.

Edited by yojimbo 2006-08-11 1:38 PM
2006-08-14 10:45 AM
in reply to: #508951

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
PM sent!!

Thanks!
Deanna

mikericci - 2006-08-11 12:08 PM

instigator - 2006-08-11 8:52 AM I have run into a decent deal on a computrainer. It is not great a deal but better than retail. Anyhow, I was wondering who has one, how has it benefitted your training, and would you recommend it. A bit about myself--I am a middle of the packer (could be closer to front of the pack if I could run faster). I am very interested in getting stronger on the bike. Live in a flat midwestern city with cold winters. Like music (wait wrong post :P). Any advice would be great!! Thanks in advance.

I have an athlete selling one - PM what you are paying - this one is brand new and the athlete will pay for shipping too.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » computrainer -- to buy or not Rss Feed